2022-2023 Top-Ranked Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery | July 30, 2022

The U.S. News & World Report’s annual survey of hospitals is considered the pre-eminent source for excellence.

For the 2022-2023 ranking, U.S. News evaluated 1,254 hospitals and ranked the top 50 that treat many challenging neurological patients for brain hemorrhage, conditions affecting the central nervous system, spinal disorders and injuries, degenerative nervous system diagnoses such as MS, care for stroke, seizures, meningitis and more.

Details of each hospital’s performance in Neurology & Neurosurgery are linked from the listings below. Find top hospitals in the treatment of stroke or back and spinal surgery, or neurologists near you.

The top-scoring hospitals are listed below.

To find out more, click here:  https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery

And to find recommended neurologists, click on this link: https://health.usnews.com/doctors/search

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

1. Reblogged this on Disablities & Mental Health Issues.

Comment by Kenneth — July 30, 2022 @ 11:24 AM

2. I’m lucky enough to be a patient and the #2 ranked hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, where I see both an Epileptologist and a Neuro-Oncologist. But getting an appointment takes MONTHS! Great people, but overworked. A lot of support groups and classes, too.

Comment by qmfub — July 30, 2022 @ 12:14 PM

3. Great topic. It is amazing to have hospitals and neurologists ranked.

Let me just share this experience with the participants in Epilepsy Talk: I was reading through the website “Huffpost” and came across an article that the title alone drew me to it immediately – “I Am A Brain Cancer Doctor. I Thought I Understood My Patients – Then I Got A Brain Tumor,” by Dr. Evan Noch. Fascinating article, by the way. Well, I was fascinated by it.

And so I wrote him yesterday via email thanking him for his honesty in the article and then thinking that that would be the end of that. This morning, however, there was a responding email from him! My local epileptologist and I continue to work on a cure for my tonic-clonic seizures. I do, nevertheless, want to pass along just the fact alone that a neurologist from the third ranked hospital in neurology, according to the U. S. News rankings, responded to me at all and in quite a kind manner was healing in and of itself.

Responding to my email is probably a much different filter in ranking neurologists, yet I found his actions to be quite healing and wanted to pass it along to such an incredible group of people here on Epilepsy Talk.

Comment by George — July 30, 2022 @ 4:42 PM

4. Having NYU Langone in the #1 spot feels like a slap in the face.

I went there several years ago, seeking the expertise of Dr. Orrin Devinsky, as he’s a well-respected neurologist, colleague of the late Oliver Sacks, and student of George Geschwind. But….

They asked me to do an in-patient VEEG, claiming that they were short of take-home units. I agreed, but since psychiatry is not a science, and moreover since “suicidal ideation” is a thought-crime for which one can be involuntarily committed and forcibly drugged at the discretion of a psychiatrist (I’d previously learned this the hard way), I made it absolutely clear that I would not speak to any psychiatrists or submit to any sort of psychiatric evaluation. In New York, as most civilized places, we have a civil right to provide, or withhold, informed consent for any medical treatment.

They agreed, and told me directly that they would respect my right to refuse. **They lied** to my face. Through deception, they subjected me to a psychiatric evaluation anyway, which means I was at risk of being locked up, despite having committed no crime, and also forcibly drugged. In the end, the shrink decided that I wasn’t actually going to commit suicide – a determination they make with 54% accuracy, according to published studies I’ve seen – and all he actually did was tell me that I shouldn’t be such a perfectionist, in abstruse and antiquated Freudian id/ego/superego terms.

Of course, his determination is also wrong, because he made it so. Not only have I been humiliated and threatened, but my access to actual neurologists is blocked by these monstrous psychiatrists, who feel that their sick sense of morality comes before the science of neurology.

These doctors and the staff at that hospital should be in jail. Though I was fortunate by pure luck, the way they treat patients like me overall is a Crime Against Humanity.

Comment by StopYourSericulture — August 18, 2022 @ 5:27 PM

• I’m shocked. And appalled.

I always held Langone in my thoughts as the bastion of great neurology and neuro-surgeons. Apparently not.

Dr. Devinsky had been a hero to me, although I never met him personally (except for one fleeting moment). But I did see him speak. I was enthralled. And impressed. Just like the rest.

But experience talks and bullshit walks.

It’s clear you have every reason to feel as you do. I’m so very sorry you went through such a hellish horror.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 18, 2022 @ 9:42 PM

• Thank you. It’s hard to get any degree of sympathy or understanding around these issues, so I appreciate that.

I was very impressed by Dr. Devinsky’s background and by seeing him speak at a conference as well. (He was tentatively endorsing medical marijuana at the time, which was well behind the popular view, but which put him ahead at the time among other professionals.)

I should add two points of clarification:

1) It was not Dr. Devinsky himself who directly lied to me, but it was physicians (psychiatrists/residents) and other staff (nurses) working under him at the NYU Langone hospital who did. The generous view here is that anyone, anywhere would have done the same thing in this day-and-age, and the problem is not individual medical professionals per se (much as I would like to see them punished), but the fact that the pseudo-science of psychiatry, with its accepted “justified exceptions” to human rights, are accepted as legitimate. (I’m looking forward to reading Bruce Levine’s latest book, “A Profession Without Reason”.) Nevertheless, as the head of that hospital, Dr. Devinsky bears ultimate responsibility.

2) That said, when I did have an appointment with Dr. Devinsky, I got from him what I can only describe as a sense of “patriarchal entitlement.” (and I’m a guy.) Despite his erudition, he was not good at explaining things, as some doctors are, but rather seemed to expect me to accept his word without question, and to regard me as a “complicated case” as an object for his curiosity more than a human being with my own difficult decisions to make. That doesn’t rise to the level of criminal as the lies and threat of his staff do, but it’s nevertheless disappointing.

So I would like to see the psychiatry separated from the neurology, so that the former did not interfere with the latter, and so that human rights were always respected (including the right to commit suicide, or even just think about it). Until that happens, psychiatry is always going to be an impediment to all other branches of medicine, perhaps most especially neurology.

Comment by StopYourSericulture — August 19, 2022 @ 7:16 AM

5. Well until the docs step down from their pedestals as gods and until we can be considered walking, talking, breathing human beings, it’s a lost cause.

No matter how brilliant the person may be. If the first diagnosis is “crazy” one can only assume they’re crazy themselves.

Takes one to know one!!! 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 19, 2022 @ 11:18 AM

• That’s exactly it. Doctors should be expert consultants and skilled technicians (surgeons), not patriarchs. They shouldn’t be making the decisions. They should be giving us the information we need to make our own decisions.

The power goes to their heads and makes them crazy!

[p.s. – I can’t seem to “like” your posts for some reason… but I hope I’m not generating excess notifications with clicks….]

Comment by stopyoursericulture — August 20, 2022 @ 1:53 AM

• One disagreement.

Yes, doctors should give us the information we need so TOGETHER we can make the best decisions.

I’m not about to play God, either. 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 20, 2022 @ 7:57 AM

6. I’ve heard that argument many times before, often in the context of women’s rights: A woman’s medical decisions “should be between her and her doctor,” implicitly *not* the government, religious fanatics, and so on. If that’s the intended meaning, then I’m all on board.

On the other hand, my mother wanted her tubes tied when she was already cut open for a Caesarean birth, but the doctor refused, saying, “You might want to have more.” She didn’t, she knew she didn’t, and she had to go back years later for another major surgery as a result.

How should that decision have been made “together” with this chauvinistic a-hole (“butcher” as she put it) of a doctor? In this case, a doctor had agreed to work a job that involved performing certain services, but then refused to perform them because of his moralistic preferences and views. After-the-fact, there’s a question as to whether he should have been held accountable (of course he wasn’t); but before-the-fact, that “together” view implies that there’s a question as to whose choice should have had preference in that situation.

For an even worse example, we could also go back to the early 18th Century, not just “before” the germ theory of disease, but at a time when many doctors *actively rejected it*, even after one of them had figured out that washing his hands before assisting with births prevented the huge (like half or more) maternal mortality rates, of torturous all-body infections, that happened when these male medical doctors insisted on being involved. The midwives of that era and centuries/millennia before didn’t have that problem, as they had figured out the value of hygiene, even if they didn’t know what germs were. Yet the doctors wanted *control*, so they insisted on performing these births and went to great lengths to shut out and shut down the midwives. (Nevermind that doctors *still* have women lie on their backs and push up for the doctor’s convenience, rather than squat for the natural assistance of gravity!)

So again, how should these decisions be made “together” with these doctors? There are many, many more examples, in which the doctor’s views, opinions, and goals are not aligned with the patients’, and even if you manage to set aside the egoistic and economic issues, there still always will be.

Thus I will stay with my individualistic view, that free citizens have the final, ultimate say over their own medical care and decisions, including when it comes to uncomfortable topics like suicide (published research shows that doctors *increase* suicide rates when they get involved), or when they’re having schizophrenic hallucinations (recall that Robert Whitaker’s core discovery was that such people do better in the long run when left alone and unmedicated), or addictive opiates for chronic pain patients, for that matter (recall Lee Robins’ “The Vietnam Study” of heroin addiction). It’s up to the individual to have developed and to use rational thought processes to facilitate living their own life, and that’s where the state’s responsibility comes in: To provide quality education for all citizens. But we don’t do that thanks again to the religious fanatics, and the capitalist oligarchs who want workers not innovators. But does that mean we should just give up and give in to the various would-be “daddy-knows-best” patriarchs?

We would be foolish not to seek out and consider the expert guidance of doctors, because no one person can know everything. But their job is only to provide relevant specific current information, not to decide how we should live our lives. We must also learn to recognize and reject conspiracy theories and propaganda (e.g., drug company advertising), in addition to other people’s economic incentives, as there will always be other people who want to use us for their own ends. Yet the simple fact remains that if we are to be free citizens, we must insist on both the right and the respect to make these decisions for ourselves, independent of what anyone else might think is best for us. There is no “together.” No one else can see the world through my eyes.

Comment by StopYourSericulture — August 21, 2022 @ 4:40 AM

7. btw, back on the OP subject of quality hospitals and doctors, when I told that story of my mother to Dr. Madeline Fields at Mount Sinai Epilepsy Center, she literally gasped in apparent understanding.

Then after doing an MRI on me with her 7T MRI (most are 3T) and finding nothing, she was very straight forward with me that there was nothing she could do for me. Whether that was literally “nothing” or “didn’t fit the narrow focus of her interest with the 7T MRI machine” may be up for debate, but the point is she was *honest*. She also took the time to respond to additional questions I had about the MRI later.

So I think there’s a reason that she has many good reviews on the doctor review sites. My experience with her was disappointing in terms of analyzing or curing my particular case of epilepsy, but overall very positive.

Comment by StopYourSericulture — August 21, 2022 @ 5:07 AM

8. Did anyone find a cause or is it one of those 30% epilepsies that are unidentifiable?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 21, 2022 @ 9:58 AM

• You mean my epilepsy? I have my theories, which I won’t go into here, except to make two points:

1) The Voxel size of even a 7T MRI is still many thousands or tens of thousands of neurons, so it will still only detect fairly large-scale damage. Just because I don’t have damage at that scale, doesn’t mean the cause is unidentifiable.

2) Dr. Devinsky wanted to do half a dozen more tests, but because of the dishonesty and threat from his staff, I decided I was safer to never set foot on their property again, and so I never had those tests done. So again, because of the pseudo-science and moralistic entitlement of the psychiatrists, I’m unable to fully understand the etiology of my epilepsy.

Comment by StopYourSericulture — August 21, 2022 @ 11:15 AM