Laughter IS the best medicine! | October 25, 2021

And, believe it or not, it’s good for your health.

Laughter can even help your EEG results!

For example, scientists traced the brainwave activity of people responding to funny material.

They were hooked up to an EEG and their brain activity was measured when they laughed.

In each case, the brain produced a regular electrical pattern.

Less than a half-second after exposure to something funny, an electrical wave moved through the cerebral cortex.

If the wave takes a negative charge, laughter results. If it maintains a positive charge, no response is given at all.

Next, the left hemisphere analyzes the words and structures of the joke.

The right hemisphere “gets” the joke. The visual sensory area of the occipital lobe creates images.

The limbic (emotional) system makes you happier and the motor sections make you smile or laugh.

Also, laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

It also dissolves negative emotions.

You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.

So, how about a laugh or two? Tell us your favorite funny movie, or a good joke!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. Reblogged this on Ken's Devotions.

Comment by Kenneth — October 25, 2021 @ 12:20 PM

2. Take VIMPAT with no side effects for Epilepsy. It is wonderful.

Comment by Rita McDonald — October 25, 2021 @ 1:53 PM

3. I have noticed 0 side effects with the RIGHT MGS DOSE of taking VIMPAT. But with all drugs they will do harm to you if you take them long enough for years & decades later and I have been on at least 1 AED since 7 months old & it will be 61 years in JAN 2022. I always say THE BRAIN NEVER LIES,, but THE HEART WILL TELL THE TRUTH when it becomes a target of a drug LIKE VIMPAT when I took 300mgs a day of it. Telling the doctor to lower it took more than 30 days after I felt the stress in my heart area & ALWAYS after I did any physical work and that evening it bothered me. After the 50MGS reduction I do the same things & I have NO heart area stressed out feeling anymore. BUT going off ALL AED’s as I did back near the end of 2012 I FELT GREAT, & was really believing my life had changed for the best with OTHER GOOD THINGS I thought was happening, then that ended & the 1 week later the WORST EVER Grand Mal seizure I had in my life and the drugs have been again a part of my life forever I guess.

Comment by James D — October 25, 2021 @ 8:28 PM

4. I firmly believe that I didn’t laugh I’d die.

Comment by Hetty Eliot — October 25, 2021 @ 9:34 PM

5. Laughter also releases endorphins that can make you euphoric. To a degree if you choose to laugh instead of cry you can put off certain levels of pain and the trauma they can produce.

Comment by Aaron — October 27, 2021 @ 4:22 PM

6. I watch the comedy Patch Adams with Robin Williams,well yes it’s in a hospital where some people suffer but he starts a good principle: The Medicinal Effects of Laughter. Nowadays I also watch the Ghostbusters – over and over as with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy one has to deal with – short term memory. I also make up puns or chuckle at things I see that remind me of something.

Comment by Leon Chavarria — October 28, 2021 @ 4:24 PM

7. Good choices!

I giggle whenever I think of the theme song to Ghostbusters.

And I love Dead Poets Society (also with Robin Williams). Even through it’s not funny, it’s inspiring.

Let’s hear a punny funny!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2021 @ 4:55 PM