Buyer beware! | August 27, 2021

It’s amazing — and scary — how wildly drug prices can vary between pharmacies. And between name brand drugs and generics, especially when you don’t have insurance.

Here are some comparisons:

Take 100 pills of 100 mg. of name brand Lamictal for example:

In Canada, retail prices can vary from $248.99 to $274.71! http://www.pharmacychecker.com/brand/price-comparison/lamictal/100+mg/

Through drugs.com, retail prices between $21.23 and $119.78 https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/lamotrigine

There are other coupon offers out there like: Prescription Hope which offers over 1,500 brand name medications as prescribed by your doctor. There’s a $15 per prescription per month service fee. And a yearly enrollment fee of only $15 — no other medication cost and no hidden costs. https://prescriptionhope.com

GoodRx, can save you up to 70% (mostly on generics) with a free drug/prescription discount card, which can be used at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Kroger and 60,000 other participating pharmacies nationwide.

No insurance is needed. There’s only one hitch, prices may vary by zip code. So check pharmacies around your area for the best deal. http://www.goodrx.com/

And these programs have been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Prevention Magazine, Forbes Magazine, ABC, NBC and Fox News!

So, what do you have to lose, except savings!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. If you are on Provincial Pharmacare in Canada your Meds are free. You qualify if you are over 65 with no other medical insurance, and at any age, if your income is under 20,000/yr I’m in Nova Scotia. It might be different in other provinces.

Comment by Donna Jones — August 27, 2021 @ 11:18 AM

2. My income sadly is low enough to get state insurance which pays for my lamotrigine, but you’re at the mercy of whatever manufacturer they have on hand.

Comment by Hetty Eliot — August 27, 2021 @ 6:43 PM

3. I am not filthy rich nor am I what you consider a poor person where I am to count total income of both my & my moms income. I always say what is mine is mine & what is hers is hers, but the DHHS & SSA don’t add a poor persons wealth that way. So I am able this year to maybe qualify for a little more extra help, and my part D plan through WELL CARE seems to have a few advantages to have where it pays for any AED’s of the BRAND NAME type, as I never want generic name AED’s due to getting more side effects. My doctor understands that as he is always willing to write me out for BRAND NAMES as he also will get MORE MONEY from BIG PHARMA companies and he also knows with my brain that taking MORE MGS of AED’s never means less seizures for my brain. THAT is why I always say LISTEN to your brain, as the brain NEVER WILL LIE where you see how patterns form, as i am watching now for this past week after being in a hospital bed for 6 days & nights being in front of a VEEG camera, all to have 1 GRAND MAL & to be told that a RNS can be in my future, which I was told is only a 70% chance of a seizure free life to have after I WOULD ? or SHOULD ? get it added to my brain somewhere. Does than mean I have a 30% chance of always having a seizure 1 to 5 times a year even if a RNS gets added & tries to stop a seizure ? I believe this is more than buyer beware, not just for drugs, but for gadgets as well, when they can not work like drugs mostly will not work by adding MORE when fewer MGS isn’t doing the job.

Comment by James D — August 27, 2021 @ 10:15 PM

4. James, here’s some info on the RNS:

Responsive Neurostimulation (RNS) Shown to Reduce “Untreatable” Seizures https://epilepsytalk.com/2020/06/19/responsive-neurostimulation-rns-shown-to-reduce-untreatable-seizures/

Thanks for the tip on WELL CARE!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 28, 2021 @ 10:41 AM

5. Good Rx will only cover it 1x 30days where I’m from for a drug that has no generic (until 2026). Then there is a higher cost. Still a good idea to shop around. Get a credit card that will reimburse you for what you’re spending at pharmacies too; especially if condition is chronic. Welcome to Aptiom.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Kerri K — August 28, 2021 @ 2:52 PM

6. Thanks for this warning. My eyes were opened to it recently when I compared the two pharmacies near me for the brand-name Briviact. After accepting my insurance, one offered me a 30-day supply for $70 and the other offered a 90-day supply for $40! My insurance recently sent me a coupon for $10 for a month’s supply, so I’m curious what the $70 guy will say to that.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Deb — August 29, 2021 @ 8:51 AM

7. We often complain about the NHS in the UK, but if you have a condition such as Epilepsy ALL your prescriptions are free, even for other conditions. It’s outrageous that people have to worry about the cost of medicine on top of having a health condition.

Liked by 2 people