What’s one of the most wonderful things your mother did for you? | May 9, 2021

For me it was something very simple. She bought me a notebook.

When I was in fifth grade, I got sent home with a note to my parents, accusing me of plagiarism.

My parents called me into their room that evening (which was always a bad sign when you were signaled out from your sibs), and they asked me about the poem and where I found it.

I told them I found it in my heart and recited it.

They were dumbstruck.

I went on to be accused of plagiarism, but not before my mother went out and bought me this wonderful notebook.

It said “Scribbles” and had a pen attached.

From then on, I was off.

And the rest is history.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Follow”

1. I was thinking of my mom, a few days ago before today / MOTHER’S DAY, and I told her I did not know what to get her, as I thought of all those times after I had GRAND MALS here at home & that she’s always there when they had happened as they did when she was here. She said a mother is to be there & deal with whatever happens good or bad, no matter what happens, and she said she’d never would ever walk away from any seizure of any that I was having nor ever will walk away from one that may happen. So what more could I ask from my mother as I know Gods love is always in my mom 24/7 from JAN 1 to DEC 31 every year. She’s had more than a few issues with her health lately, and never will I ever would I’d ever say I have no time now for you, as many say to their mom for whatever reason. That’s why nursing homes are a multi billion dollar business today. They will get 0.00 from me.

Comment by James D — May 9, 2021 @ 12:39 PM

• What a woman. I can see how she’s earned your love and respect through the years. And how you’d like to reciprocate it in kind.

Nursing homes were not made for devoted children like you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 9, 2021 @ 1:35 PM

• I wish I got the same response….. Im just avoided like Frankenstein….. like its my fault! But Im glad you experienced this Phyllis!…… I wish I had the same bubble of love that alot of folks do!

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 7:44 PM

• Ack sorry…. that was a misread, sorry James!….. good luck and good blessings to all!

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 7:46 PM

2. My mother made sure my doctors did not give up on me when they were pronouncing me dead from status epilepticus in 1995. She advocated for them to induce a coma to preserve my brain function. I was paralyzed and had had a heart attack. “I know my baby can hear me,” she screamed, she later told me. To everyone’s amazement, I moved my pinky. “See! A mother knows!” I am forever grateful for her love and encouragement. Rest in heaven, Mom!

Comment by Mary Ellen Gambon — May 9, 2021 @ 12:41 PM

3. Wow Mary Ellen, just about the same thing happened to me with Arthur. (As you probably know.) Except I was not paralyzed.

But I was put into an induced coma after two heart attacks and when I “awoke” days later, he was still by my side. ❤

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 9, 2021 @ 1:39 PM

• Ouch!…. that sounds tuff for sure!….. good thing yer here to help us here now, give us a place for our voices to be heard! You rock Phyllis, Happy Mothers Day! 😀

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 7:48 PM

• I swear we are like twins, Phylis! That is incredible! I had a heart attack and aspirated. But my mom wouldn’t give up on me. So I never give up now.

Comment by Mary Ellen Gambon — May 10, 2021 @ 9:30 PM

4. My mother died in 2014. I think about her every day, but especially on Mother’s Day. One of the greatest things she did for me besides bringing me into this life was back in 2000 I all of sudden started having seizures, medical doctors were not doing much for me except to give me medication and have me tested which all showed negative, but I was not feeling good and felt there was something possibly more that could be done. Several years earlier I had met a well-known Natural Doctor, so I contacted him about my situation. He referred me to a natural medical center he believed could help me, but the treatments that they prescribed to me, all the natural treatments were too expensive so I told my mother we would have to decline and just use some supplements they were prescribing and just do our best. Without the treatments, the doctors felt I wouldn’t feel as well as I should, but they understood. It was close to my birthday during this time so my mother gave me a birthday card and on that card was a note stating: “Happy birthday my son enjoy your treatments I know this will help you greatly I want you to have a healthy life” How she paid for it? She took out a second mortgage on her home, at first I was a little upset because I didn’t want her to lose her home that she and my late father who had died in 1998. Worked so hard for me, not that I did not appreciate what she did for me I didn’t want her to lose her house. I said to her, why didn’t you ask me, first mom? She looked deep into my eyes and said: “Son if I had asked you first would you have said yes?” I looked at her and said no mom, she replied “That’s why I didn’t ask you, I know you would have said no” And I had many treatments at this natural center and my life changed forever! My seizures actually stopped for a long time and I felt like I was reborn. I had a couple of relapses a couple of years later but the work that they did for me was life-changing! I thanked my mother dearly at the time for sacrificing what she did for me, and I am still doing it today. I know she can hear me. Thank you, dear mother, and Happy mother’s Day from a grateful son. I miss you.
    Your son Kevin.

Comment by phoenix286da08ec323d — May 9, 2021 @ 2:06 PM

• Phoenix, yer awesome and I love that you posted 😀 Please use paragraphs hahaha…… one thing we learn as a writer is straight text is REALLY tuff to read……. I get everything you posted….. its really tuff when folks dont see through the blurred lines…… when the lines are so blurred, we NEED them to 😦 So glad you are feeling better!!……. Happy Mothers day all!

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 8:09 PM

• Thank you, Aaron, for the friendly response, and I will remember about the text next time I was in a hurry and forgot thanks for the reminder. I usually catch that.

Comment by Kevin — May 9, 2021 @ 9:48 PM

5. She married my father!!…… hope all the Mothers are safe and happy and healthy 😀

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 7:43 PM

• I guess that was kinduv passive agressive right?……. just a little background, I havent heard from my mom in over 10 years…… and as a psychologist and a Life Coach Im not going to go into details, but its tuff when you think yer the enemy of a “team” that makes your seizures “proof” of why yer on the “other” side….. I wouldnt doubt if many off you recognize this……. its just tuff, and today is one of those reminder days 😦 The friends and mothers in my life provide me more comfort and love than my own blood….. so thats what I go with!

Comment by Aaron Holmes — May 9, 2021 @ 7:56 PM

6. I owe her for a lot of intangibles. She taught me the right way to raise my children which led to compliments from friends and family as my sons grew up. More importantly, she taught me rights and wrongs and learning from her that suicide was wrong probably saved my life.

Comment by Ed Lugge — May 9, 2021 @ 8:08 PM

• My mom had abortions as a matter of birth control. Unlike you, I did try to commit suicide and paid the price.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 9, 2021 @ 8:16 PM