2021 Resolutions | January 1, 2021

We all have them. Whether we keep them a secret to ourselves or proclaim them to the world.

I guess mine are now hardly secret.

But here I go, taking the plunge…

My resolutions for 2021:

1. To give as much to my Epilepsy Talk family as you give to me

2. To listen more closely to others

3. To be more patient

4. To be more understanding

5. To be a better problem solver

6. To be more proactive rather than reactive. (That’s a toughie.)

7. To spend a little less time working (!)

8. To spend more time with my extended family

9. To laugh more — it’s good for the soul (and brainwaves)

10. And of course, to lose 10 pounds!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. Number 10 is EASY & you will in the process have LESS or NO seizures. Here it is,,, Eliminate ALL MSG & ASPARTAME, NITRATES & NITRITES from the diet. I know back in 2012 when my concussion happened from that worse ever GRAND MAL I had, I said THAT’S IT !!, when just a fraction of MSG was that cause / trigger of that Grand Mal that happened 30 minutes later & I WAS 2 days short of 2 years being seizure free. That concussion I believe has been the real problem as to why since 11-19-12 that my seizure condition since that day is so unpredictable today. I always think IF I never ate those 3 halves of those cream puffs if that seizure would had happened, It’s easy for anyone and neurologists to say even today YES IT WOULD HAD, but nobody knows my brain chemistry as well as I do to PROVE TO ME, and to this day it was never proven to me that the seizure would have happened IF I DID NOT eat those 3 halves of cream puffs at that COSTCO on 11-19-12. My brain may had been even today seizure free for 8 years IF I never ate those 3 halves of cream puffs. But WHAT is it to say that IF I ate something else a few weeks, months, or years later, that a GRAND MAL would had or had not happened in 2013.2014 or whenever. POINT IS,,,,, on that day of 11-19-12 I weighed near 230. Since that worse day of my life, and today after I am making sure that NO MSG’s, ASPARTAME’s NITRITES & NITRATES are NOT in my diet, my weight can be between 190 to 205, depending what I am doing, or have done & what season of the year it is as I work outside more in those NO R months in the warmer & hotter outside temperatures. I do remember an EFA article about OBESE people, that are more risk for having seizures that those who are not obese. I’m 6’2.

Comment by James D — January 1, 2021 @ 1:31 PM

2. Thank you James, great post!! Just a friendly pointer….. hit enter and create paragraphs, verbal roadblocks are the worst…… and anything we can do as writers helps our fellow readers…… woohoo!!!

Comment by Aaron Holmes — January 1, 2021 @ 2:58 PM

• Everybody writes in their own style. I do line breaks after every thought. One might find that jarring and interruptive!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 1, 2021 @ 7:25 PM

3. Phylis, Thank you for sharing your inspiring resolutions, I’m definitely sure most of us feel the same way as you do.
    Aiming for higher goals in life to reach & cherish makes our lives far more richer in meaningful way than the limitations & boundaries of our medical hardships.
    Though out the last two decades of my struggle with Epilepsy & frustrating journey for medical remedy, I’ve learned from my dear family, loyal friends, you & members of this forum explaining the chemistry behind epilepsy coming to my rescue when the whole world seemed collapsing to an end over my head, I’ve learned that there’s more to life than being totally crippled by the fear of the next seizure.
    Therefore, I intend to appreciate every moment in life & gracefully march foreword to make this world a better place to live for me & for my fellow human beings to share & treasure.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF US!
    Gerrie

Comment by Gerrie — January 1, 2021 @ 4:15 PM

4. God bless you and your generosity, Gerrie.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 1, 2021 @ 7:27 PM

5. I started a new resolution. Whenever foods have ingredients, I won’t eat any white Ingredients. They are bad to the chance of having a seizure.

Comment by 314Ridge — January 1, 2021 @ 8:37 PM

• I had a nutritionist advise me against eating “the white stuff”. But, I’ve never had the discipline to do it.

They don’t cause seizures with me, but the additives are enough to do you in.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2021 @ 10:08 AM

6. Thanks so much for sharing! You give so much of yourself, and we all are so appreciative of you and your sage advice.

I am definitely concentrating on being more proactive than reactive this year, on empowering myself and others, and being grateful for each day. I want to take advantage of each seizure-free day.

Thanks so much for all of your help on my journey! Happy New Year!

Comment by Mary Ellen Gambon — January 2, 2021 @ 12:35 PM

7. I think everyone’s journey is a challenge. Most difficult of all, is to be true to yourself.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2021 @ 12:38 PM

8. I wanna look at myself and be happy to see what I see (inside and out).

I lost 45 pounds this past year so if I see even 5-10 of them show up again, I’m going to act like I need to lose another 45.

After seeing her for less than 10 hours since last March, I’m looking for the first opportunity to spend a lot of valuable time with my youngest granddaughter and making the most of it.

I need to start fighting against depression instead of waiting for it to go away.

In a nutshell, I just need to work on my problems instead of pushing them to the side.

Comment by Ed Lugge — January 2, 2021 @ 12:47 PM

• That really is being pro-active. Difficult, but achievable. If you believe in yourself, anything can happen.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2021 @ 1:44 PM