Depression is quiet | December 12, 2020

You would be surprised with how many people in your life could be going through depression at this very moment.

People hide it like a paper bag over their heads, out of fear of being judged, made fun of, seen as weak, or just not taken seriously.

Anyone can fall victim to it.

And much like a mask, people hide it with a smile.

And an “I’m fine.”

Nobody can detect it but yourself,

Because, disguising is easy.

The cheerier you are, the less they’ll suspect.

But you can’t hide it forever.

Everybody reaches a breaking point.

But that’s okay. Don’t be ashamed.

There are people out there who understand.

There is love and support all around you.

By talking with others, you will get the help and assurance that you need to fight through it.

You are precious.

You are loved.

You are not alone.

Have patience with all things.

But most importantly, have patience with yourself.

See each and every new day as an opportunity to grow.

We’ll always be here, waiting for you.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow!”

By: Colleen Butters

1. I would not be surprised, because nearly everyone, right now, is in circumstances where depression (conservation of energy) is a normal reaction.

Although I have two hotlines on speed dial, I haven’t used them. Other people – here, I am thinking of a friend with Stage 4 cancer, another dealing with a sudden (not COVID) family death, the second such in six months – other people need the hotlines more. So I haven’t called. A snack, some water, a task that needs doing, a walk once it’s daylight, a dozen small things is how I cope.

Liked by 3 people

Comment by HoDo — December 12, 2020 @ 11:18 AM

• I cope with telephone and zoom calls to far flung friends and family. People I wouldn’t ordinarily have the time to speak with.

But there’s the nagging sadness of Christmas. It’s lonely for us but difficult for so many. It’s heartbreaking.

And also the loss of my in-laws so many years ago. They were the very spirit of Christmas.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 12, 2020 @ 12:40 PM

2. so What can defeat the depression ? Not an ADD for me or another feel good IF THERE ARE ANY AED’s like the one ” can’t think of the name now” that is to have CBD in it, & work so great at stopping seizures,, so THEY SAY. I do not believe in the PROMISES not from the doctors & neurologists & all seizure advocates who all seem to work together for our benefit, again, so THEY SAY. I DO believe in those promises from God & his son Jesus Christ, who really had the worst depression of any human ever could imagine, knowing his future & what was about to happen, but there was that PROMISE for him by God & my promise too from both God & Jesus, which takes all depression & anxiety away, BOTH can wreck & destroy all brain chemistry in everyone, and the words of the savior just gives me the joy knowing all that I have had & been dealing with for 60 years is coming to an end. So NO AED, ADD or other drugs or words of rejection by THIS WORLD as it is, is not going to take MY JOY given to me by God, is going to keep me depressed for any length of time as just a thought of GOING HOME with Jesus Christ ends all depression at that split second while hoping that the RAPTURE always happens before the next dawning or next dusk, as it can never be soon enough to happen. Remember too that God has no drug stores or paper or pen to write out lifetime drugs for any of us to take. And these doctors & neurologist continue to practice on us creating BRAIN ABUSE & in some cases BRAIN DAMAGE from all they do to us since the time of our birth to our death. And they seem to be untouchable, & not accountable or responsible for THEIR ACTIONS, but we are just to live with it no matter WHAT happens to any of us. 1 thing that all doctors & God do have in common, as you wonder if they know HOW to hear what you are saying & or PRAYING about, when you keep having the seizures. And end of this has to happen for us all ASAP.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by James D — December 12, 2020 @ 12:41 PM

3. Good subject and good message, Phylis! Depression hits me every so often but I look for the best approach to it. I usually wait ’til the end of the day to talk about it to my wife and tell her, “I’ll be fine tomorrow.” which I usually am.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Ed Lugge — December 12, 2020 @ 12:42 PM

• I agree that talking it out is very helpful.

We actually have a “town meeting” every night where we discuss our day, emotions and complaints. It helps dispel pent up frustrations and anger, which is my worst enemy.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 12, 2020 @ 12:45 PM

4. I like that!! Good idea

Comment by Kathy S.B — December 13, 2020 @ 8:38 PM

5. Depression takes a significant amount of toll on the body!

Comment by Gordon Pride — December 28, 2020 @ 10:11 AM

6. The title caught my eye. Good work!

Comment by Paperback badass — April 10, 2021 @ 9:47 AM

7. That’s a lovely post Phylis. Have you suffered from depression yourself?

Comment by beatdepression776 — April 20, 2021 @ 8:38 AM