A Neurologist Talks About His Own Epilepsy… | August 12, 2020

In this eye-opening article from the New York Times, a neurologist talks about his own journey with epilepsy: his perceptions, other people’s reactions (not good) and how he decided to become a neurologist.

A wonderful account of the doctor as patient and “must” reading for anyone who has epilepsy…

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. […] A Neurologist Talks About His Own Epilepsy… — Epilepsy Talk […]

Pingback by A Neurologist Talks About His Own Epilepsy… — Epilepsy Talk – Epilepsy & Cerebral Palsy — August 12, 2020 @ 11:04 AM

2. Wow!! Amazing how 1 doctor in thousands seems to know what will or can happen to people with seizures, before any seizure/brain surgery or after one has been done. No doctor once seeing one has ever called about any drug reactions OR good things that they can do, which has been very few over 60 years. No worries over how many seizures I have had or IF I had any at all, because the other doctors are advocates to BIG PHARMAS world wide, not just from those approved by FDA, & the tests all done at NIH, JHU & MAYO CLINICS. 50 years has taught me that living with the hell on earth, as last night for 45 minutes I was out again with my 5th GRAND MAL in year 2020. Sure 5 is nothing, compared to some who has 5 a season, a month, 5 a week, or 5 a day. So what, Right ?

Comment by James D — August 12, 2020 @ 1:06 PM

3. Anti-stigma will be an uphill battle. I’m trying to imagine what an unstigmatized life for someone with seizures would look like. Never being afraid? Not of disclosure, not of something happening in public? Hevvins!

Comment by HoDo — August 13, 2020 @ 11:57 AM

4. No stigma! Don’t make me laugh, Hodo. Hard to imagine.

Comment by skolly9 — August 13, 2020 @ 12:59 PM

• Until we start to imagine life without stigma, we won’t be able to make it happen.

Comment by HoDo — August 13, 2020 @ 2:11 PM

5. It would be helpful if he could also describe what it was like taking medication for his Seizures. I hope he talks about that to his patients.

Comment by Tami — August 13, 2020 @ 4:26 PM

6. Not to mention all the side effects.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 13, 2020 @ 5:47 PM

7. FOLLOW

Comment by Jeanna — August 13, 2020 @ 8:21 PM

8. That’s quite the interesting article. Wish I had a doctor who could relate more. Probably is more open to trying different things to help patients control their seizures.

Comment by trekkie80sgirl — August 14, 2020 @ 9:55 PM

9. Cannot open it! Only a New York Times subscriber!

Comment by Andrea Orleans — August 19, 2020 @ 9:53 AM

• Oh dear, I’m so sorry. I guess many people just read the lead and then didn’t go further. Or they had a New York Times subscription. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 19, 2020 @ 10:07 AM

10. There’s an error when trying to access this article. Can anybody advise, please?

Comment by Carol — September 4, 2020 @ 2:29 PM