Stress and seizures… | March 17, 2020

Let’s be honest, you probably didn’t plan on having epilepsy.

But here we are.

And we all know that stress is #1 in the hit parade of seizure triggers.

Endless surveys prove the fact.

Most people think of stress as being related only to unpleasant or sad times in their lives.

However, even “happy” stress can trigger seizures!

Sometimes, seizures occur immediately after a sudden and very stressful event.

Other times, there might be a delay of hours or days.

There are some people who have seizures when there is a release from stress that has been present for a long time.

For example, you might have a seizure on a Saturday or Sunday after a particularly stressful week.

(I used to have one every Friday night like clockwork after a week in the wonderful world of advertising.)

But most of us associate stress with negative feelings.

Fear, worry, fright, anxiousness.

Tension, sadness, helplessness or feeling out of control.

There’s acute stress, like we experience when a family member dies or we are in an automobile accident.

Then there’s chronic stress, like we experience if we have financial problems, an unhappy marriage or a boss who is being unreasonable at work.

And Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures — (PNES).

It’s caused by psychological trauma or conflict that impacts our state of mind.

(PNES is not to be simply brushed off.

Because one in six of people with PNES have also had epileptic seizures.)

And then there’s the sheer anticipation of having a seizure!

“As a young person you don’t really know what it is, I was having a lot of tests, like the brain scans and consultations and people going, “Well is it her or is it something going on?”

My confidence went downhill completely ‘cos obviously when things are happening to you that you don’t know what on earth the hell is happening, then it’s very difficult.” — Carole

So, it becomes a vicious cycle.

Seizures cause stress and stress results in more seizures.

Both mental and physical stress cause changes in the body, increasing the brain’s excitability and activity.

But the type of stress that triggers epileptic seizures most often is emotional stress.

How do these different types of stress affect us?

The truth is, we don’t know.

But we DO know about the neurological reactions.

When you feel stressed, the limbic system — the portion of your brain that regulates emotion — goes into overdrive.

Your body responds with a “fight-or-flight” response.

An automatic alert system that, when triggered, affects every part of your body.

Interestingly, this may lead you to hyperventilate, exciting those neurons even more and triggering a seizure.

Particularly an absence seizure.

But whether you hyperventilate or not, this neuron distress causes your body to release cortisol, the number one stress hormone.

And it’s an uphill battle from there.

And here’s some real cheerful news…

Studies from Stanford University have shown that prolonged exposure to stress can potentially lead to brain damage.

However, there’s some promising news here, too…

Research carried out by Michael Privitera, MD, professor and director, Cincinnati Epilepsy Center, University of Cincinnati, and his colleagues, showed some interesting and positive results.

85% of the people studied, believed that chronic stress was a seizure trigger.

And 68% attributed acute stress as a trigger.

Here’s the good news…

57% of these same people used some type of relaxation or stress reduction treatment.

Of those, 88% thought it improved their seizures.

“What was really interesting was that these people have tried all kinds of stress reduction methods, and yoga was number one, which is surprising since this is Cincinnati, and not California, where such approaches might be more popular,” he said.

Patients also tried relaxation and other stress reduction techniques.

The 25% of people who did NOT attribute stress as a trigger for their seizures, tried relaxation or stress reduction and 71% of them thought their seizures improved as a result.

Now, researchers are carrying out a clinical trial of a stress reduction intervention (breathing exercises and other techniques) in drug-resistant people who believe their seizures are triggered by stress.

Asked to comment, Jane Allendorfer, PhD, instructor, University of Alabama at Birmingham, who has done research on the role of stress in seizures, said “It’s interesting, but not surprising, that patients who tried stress reduction techniques believed it reduced seizures.”

Mind over matter?

The best advice is to try to be pro-active and take care — or divert — your stress triggers.

(I know, easier said than done!)

Deep breathing works for me.

Others swear that music does it for them.

For some, visualization or walking diffuses the stress.

Yet, just like seizures and meds, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. But it sure is worth a try!

What works for you?

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. I’ve got epilepsy that I’ve just been told is trigerred by my CPTSD, having lived through the Iirsh terrorism, I’m not physically injured, I’m mentally injured, but it’s still not much known about here in Ireland

Comment by Gail Barry — March 17, 2020 @ 11:22 AM

2. “Calm, cool and collective” That’s my motto, calm is the key. Stress can be like a bully that keeps u caged in. Never fear, because like FDR said ” the only thing to fear is fear itself. ” Throw away ur stressful fears, because what will happen will happen. I know, i know, easier said than done.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Zolt — March 17, 2020 @ 11:54 AM

• I think the unknown is the real source of stress.

But yes, there is nothing you can do about it.

Which, in itself, leads to a feeling of no power over the circumstances, which leads to stress.

So, it’s a conundrum.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 1:02 PM

3. I viewed my seizures as needing a reset, and even if the doctors didn’t tell me things, I would have done it myself (not driving, etc.), avoiding the things that are stressful, whether it’s family situations, politics or anything. Yoga is by far the best physical and mental exercise to put ourselves into a state of calm.
    Now the rest of the world is beginning to put into practice what people with epilepsy have put into practice (don’t do this, don’t do that). We are used to having to reset when others are not.
    There is no better time than now to practice calm. There are many amazing videos on youtube for medication, yoga, or anything.
    Take many deep breaths! The air will soon be cleaner than it’s been 8n decades, so enjoy your quarantine my friends and stay healthy.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Marlyn — March 17, 2020 @ 1:17 PM

4. All wonderful points, Marlyn.

Good advice is always welcome.

As per Marlyn’s advice, this may help some of you…

Epilepsy: Meditation vs. Medication

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 1:23 PM

5. And your online group Phylis IS VERY MUCH A BREATHER FOR SOME AS WELL!! Thank you and please know I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOU AND ALL YOU DO FOR ALL OF US AND OUR FAMILIES! 😊🦅🙏🏼💝💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 17, 2020 @ 1:43 PM

6. The best we can do is support one another, either physically or virtually.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 1:51 PM

7. Lol maybe you should also go “virtual” 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 17, 2020 @ 2:05 PM

8. I AM!!! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 2:15 PM

9. For me not having enough sleep causes really bad Seizures. Stress and anticipating I might have a Seizure enventiably cause mild Seizures. I usually go on walks every other day and if I take the same route I am fine but whenever I take a different route I ended up with a Seizure. Same thing with weight training. I feel like I might have a Seizure doing heavy Squats or Deadlifts I end up having one. I try to take my mind off by start counting 1-100 over and over again or try remembering names (which I forget very often) so that I can take my mind off anticipating I might have a Seizure to get over that fact.

Comment by Prasad Mokkapati — March 17, 2020 @ 2:48 PM

10. I’m more inclined to say that sleep deprivation is “#1 on the hit parade” of triggers, but in the interest of internet harmony, shall we consider it a tie for top billing? 🙂

Liked by 3 people

Comment by Katie — March 17, 2020 @ 5:25 PM

• In my case Sleep is the #1 factor. I end up having really bad Seizures when I did not have enough sleep. Stress and anticipation of getting a Seizure come in next.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by prasadmok — March 17, 2020 @ 7:22 PM

11. Probably.

See above…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 6:34 PM

12. I absolutely believe that stress (happy or sad) causes seizures in people with Epilepsy. Is the brain damage from stess more acute in people with Epilepsy, than people who do not have Epilepsy? If so, do you have an idea as to the type of brain damage that seizures, (do to stress) cause.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Nancy — March 17, 2020 @ 7:10 PM

• Stress can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And, as you may imagine, it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin. You’ll probably find that you have more seizures during or after periods of anxiety or stress.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2020 @ 7:21 PM

13. Your virtual?

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 17, 2020 @ 10:53 PM

14. I always try to be prepared that way I’m not sorry. But in terms of excitement and stress it’s SO IRONIC HOW ONE MINUTE WE SAY IS “ALL I WANT IS ARE MY BABIES (no matter how old they are), my husband and I to ALL BE UNDER MY ROOF!! Just so I can protect them all THE BEST WAY I KNOW HOW TO!! Of course knowing it won’t happen and I can’t tell anyone that except all of you 😘. Then at midnight I get a phone call from my oldest asking “MOM can you and dad please pick me up before my plane lands at 9:30am the next morning be a I WANT TO COME HOME!! That’s 2 hours away? I made a PROMISE to MY CHILDREN that “ANYTIME, ANYWHERE IF THEY NEED ME I WILL BE THERE I PROMISE!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!”. So of course I listened to him as TRIED TO SOUND NORMAL! When honestly he sounded PETRIFIED!! He works on an oil rig on the other side of my province and flys directly in and out from the rig. I told him “OF COURSE WE WILL BE THERE SON!! I PROMISE!”. It was the most HAPPIEST YET HARDEST STOIC MOMENT I have EVER FELT!! He says to me “mommy are we going to be okay?” (He’s 26yrs old!!). I told him “as long as we’re all together under one roof we’re always okay and don’t forget to pray”. We did go and get him. We seen 10 vehicles there and back and one person. Thismorning i think that’s when it all kicked in!!!!! Yet as I quickly washed doorways, appliances, door knobs and washrooms I couldn’t help but say WE WILL ALL BE OKAY JUST PRAY AND HAVE FAITH!! 😊🙏🏼🦅😇🙏🏼💗. P.S. Lol it’s been A VERY VERY LONG TIME SINCE MY SON EVER CALLED ME “MOMMY” 😘💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 18, 2020 @ 12:03 AM

• I admire your faith and your dedication.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 18, 2020 @ 10:10 AM

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 18, 2020 @ 10:52 PM

• I have to admit I was good right up until I was told my husband and son are “ESSENTIAL WORKERS”! On one hand I know I should glad, but in the other hand IT IS SO TEMPTING TO BEG THEM TO QUIT!!!!!!! I didn’t though I just enjoyed laying In MY TINY BEDROOM with ALL MY CHILDREN AND HUSBAND AND ANIMALS AND ENJOYED HEARING THEM SLEEP 😴 🙏🏼🦅😇🙏🏼💗. Lol yes we’re not supposed to get tired I know, but I think I’m in autoMode lol but yet RELIEVED TOO!! 🙏🏼🦅😇🙏🏼😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 18, 2020 @ 10:59 PM

• My husband and I were just saying how much we admired those essential workers who were keeping things running. Without them, where would we be?

In double trouble.

I know it must be scary for you and them.

Yet it’s so noble and I hope the world appreciates them plus all that they sacrifice.

Blessings to you all.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2020 @ 10:24 AM

• Thank you Phylis 😘. I used to be a dispatcher and first responder and I Honestly NEVER USED TO THINK!! I WOULD JUST DO! I would tell my children and husband “how is anyone ever going to learn how to really care if we can’t? I was raised to believe EVERYTHING IS ABOUT OUR FUTURES FUTURE!!!!! That includes keeping everyone humble regardless of how well educated or wealthy you are!! Everyone has a heart, breathes air, feels and bleeds and gets sick. That’s where FAITH AND PRAYER (HOWEVER IT MAYBE) MATTERS THE MOST NOW!!!!!!! My grandma was a hospital janitor for 17 years and VERY ILL until she passed on. She used to tell me “PRAY, HAVE FAITH AND ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE NURSES MORE!!!!!!! Because their the ones with their patients WAY MORE THAN DOCTORS ARE!!!!!” 🙏🏼🦅😇💗😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 10:26 PM

15. Funny how I was only able to sleep 4.5 hours and we had to leave yesterday morning to go and get him. We picked him up, went to his residence and VERY QUICKLY PACKED ALL OF HIS STUFF (made him quickly shower) and CAME STRAIGHT HOME!!!!! Thismorning I woke up with 3 GIANT ADULT CHILDREN ALL IN MY BED WITH ME!!!!!!! 🙏🏼🦅😇😘😘😘😘😘🙏🏼

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 18, 2020 @ 12:18 AM

16. There have been times when my brain -longs- to seize. It’s like needing to sneeze. Then finally the relief of getting through it, clearing the air, all the synapses aligned again. So nice!

BTW, Massachusetts General Hospital has a downloadable coloring book for children recently diagnosed with epilepsy. It comes in many languages. One of the project suggestions is, “Draw a picture of your brain.” This is an amazing amount of fun. Highly recommended. I mean for YOU.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — March 18, 2020 @ 4:58 PM

17. HoDo, your analogy of your brain long to “sneeze” is so good!

Who could say it better?

And the Mass. General Hospitable’s downloadable coloring book for children is brilliant.

Thank you, yet again. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 18, 2020 @ 5:10 PM

• Perhaps we could have an art gallery of pictures we’ve drawn of our brains?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — March 18, 2020 @ 6:53 PM

• I can’t draw! 😢

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 18, 2020 @ 7:29 PM

• Whose voice is it that’s uttering the word, “Failure”? Whose definition do you accept?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — March 19, 2020 @ 11:33 AM

• Sigh. I get it.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2020 @ 11:59 AM

• Lol 😂 Well HoDo I MUST HUMBLY ADMIT I CAN’T DRAW OR COLOR EITHER!! HOWEVER I CAN BUILD A HOUSE, FENCES, SHELVES AND WHAT NOT!! If that’s any consolation Lol 😂.

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 20, 2020 @ 3:08 PM

• SECRETLY my son is the person to call for colouring!!!!! 😘😘😘😘😘. My husband is the one to call when it comes to technology (ALMOST), my oldest daughter IS THE BRAIN CHILD, and my baby has SOMEHOW BECOME A JACK OF ALL TRADES!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 20, 2020 @ 3:11 PM

• “I can’t draw,” often means, “I’m afraid that what I draw won’t look like a perfect photograph of what’s in my head.”

Once you let go of the need to be perfectly accurate and aesthetic, great delight awaits you. Any mark you make is yours, and it is good enough.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — March 19, 2020 @ 7:54 AM

• I guess I’m just afraid of failure. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2020 @ 10:25 AM

• In all honesty and SECRETLY HERE it is and has ALWAYS BEEN MY BIGGEST FEAR AS WELL!!!!!!! However after having had played sports and coached different sports (I caught it with hockey the most) I came to understand and realize WE HAVE TO FAIL TO SUCCEED!! Which means EVERYONE NEEDS TO STAY HUMBLE AND COMPASSIONATE AND CARING!! 🙏🏼🦅💗. IF it weren’t for failure would we really know success?

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 10:17 PM

18. They’ve been doing that for years at the EFA; their studio E art program. Artistic depictions of people’s experiences with epilepsy. Probably depends upon what city one lives in.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by skolly9 — March 18, 2020 @ 9:22 PM

19. it is cool, as long as you don’t criticize big pharma in the process lol

Liked by 2 people

Comment by skolly9 — March 19, 2020 @ 4:19 PM

20. Phylis, you should definitely post those New Yorker cartoons about Big Pharma here on your blog! Can’t think of a better audience, can you?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by skolly9 — March 19, 2020 @ 7:10 PM

21. I have (believe it or not) a bucket of pennies. I gave one hundred pennies to each of my family members and we sat down. I told my husband and children to take one (resembling themselves) and to put one penny down for each person they seen in one day to the side. Based on the size of my little family I told them to put a 5 pennies down for each person. Right off the bat they all lost their pennies but me!! Then I asked them how much they loves themselves? Nobody was sure how to answer. Finally I told them “my wealth was always in my husband and children!! So I had to make sure I took care of myself for all of you. Now imagine throwing all those pennies at me or each of yourselves. I would throw 4 pennies funny how you would throw all of them at the people you love the most!!!!!!! THAT IS CALLED “SOCIAL DISTANCING”!! Now we have no choice but to STRONG FOR EACHOTHER AND OTHERS AS WELL!! If I can take it SO CAN YOU BUT PLEASE PRAY, WASH YOUR HANDS, WEAR GLOVES AND HAND SANITIZER!!!!!!! Because I can’t do the either (I’m allergic to alcohol, chlorine, and latex gloves). Now love and take care of yourselves like you love and take care of eachother at my table and we WILL BE OKAY!! 🙏🏼🦅😇💕😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 10:44 PM

• You must be an angel! 😇

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2020 @ 10:58 PM

• No I apologize I’m human just like all of you!! 😘🙏🏼🦅😇💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 11:10 PM

• The only the world knows how to love ❤️ and have SINCERE COMPASSION 💕 IS IF WE AND EVERYONE GIVE IT TO EACHOTHER! My job is to be a wife, mom, friend, family member and teach in a humble way. By the way MY SON DOES COLOUR AS WELL as his way of taking time for himself and his mental well being !! 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 11:16 PM

22. My husband had to go back to work so he could help the instructors to be able to teach online and students had enough laptops. My son will be going back on Sunday. He said to me “this coming week I clean the planes!! And because what you just said I will MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL STERILIZED PROPERLY I PROMISE!!!!!🙏🏼🦅🙏🏼. But can you please pick me up the following Monday”? Lol I told him “I PROMISE ANYTIME ANYWHERE!! 🙏🏼🦅🙏🏼😘😘”. But secretly I was praying they would be temporarily laid off!!

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 10:56 PM

• 😆

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2020 @ 11:00 PM

• And my Baby donates blood EVERY MONTH!! We’re not allowed to because of our own medical problems, BUT WE WILL HELP THE BEST WAY WE CAN!! 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 11:08 PM

• LOL I build and NOW I BUILD SHELVES!!!!!!! 😘. I like being tired and instantly falling asleep 😴 🙏🏼🦅😇❤️

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 11:18 PM

• Goodevening Phylis and all. I hope and pray everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I have a crazy question if I may please ask? Thank you. “AS A MOTHER” whenever any of my children either say “can we please talk?” Or simply “MOMMY” what is the best way to respond? Of course you all know about me taking my son back to catch the plane (thinking it was 2 weeks until I pick him up again). I received a call (which I missed) and then a text starting with “MOMMY I LOVE YOU 😘” I almost dropped (it was my son!!). To prevent me from falling my best friend grabbed me (I guess that means we disobeyed “social distancing”) and she sat me down and took my phone. Turned out I was right!! Their sending him home on Monday instead of in 2 weeks because they were completely ill prepared!! Wow!!!!! I’m not always one for words or tears, but apparently because of that it almost makes me feel as though I’m in a different realm (almost afraid to think or feel) and actually scares everyone more than me crying!!!!! It’s funny how we don’t even have to say or do anything and our spouse, children or loved ones already know what we’re thinking!!

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 27, 2020 @ 12:46 AM

• Of course, the best way to respond is “YES”. But I don’t need to tell you,

You are the most fantastic and dedicated mother.

I’m so glad and I’m so relieved that you’re getting your son back again. And I’m sure he’s relieved, too!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 27, 2020 @ 10:28 AM

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 27, 2020 @ 10:30 PM

23. Plus IN ALL HONESTY Phylis YOUR THE ANGEL!! Because without you or YOUR GROUP I may not ever be able to have the courage to speak up 🙏🏼🦅😇😘💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 19, 2020 @ 11:34 PM

24. I put puzzles together. Maybe someone should make a 3D Puzzle we can put together out of one of your drawings? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 20, 2020 @ 4:51 PM

• HOW?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 20, 2020 @ 5:57 PM

• Oh and you can listen to music while you build and learn to concentrate on yourself not to shake or just make the pieces a bit wider AND YOU CAN BUILD IT WITH SOMEONE ELSE TOO!! 😃😃😃😃😃. It makes for a GREAT CONVERSATION GET TO KNOW OR GO THROUGH YOUR PAST DAY WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS!! 😘😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 21, 2020 @ 1:36 PM

25. Goodmorning well I would say physically build a copy of the brain in 3D. Then have it cut out in about .5cm puzzle pieces to however many pieces you wish and then lay all those pieces on you trays or table and begin to build it. They way a person can actually see and understand every part of the brain, brain structure, different lobes, veins and on and on. Just a thought. Once a person actually sees, feels, and understand the physical part of a brain then the more they understand about their family, friends and even self. 😘🙏🏼🦅💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 21, 2020 @ 1:17 PM

• Brilliant.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 21, 2020 @ 1:19 PM

• Just use translucent material. Lol like it said everyone draws out “blueprints” to shelves and on and on. I was taught to physically build whatever I see (or memory of a teaching to me from my old people and grandma) in my head. EVERYONE I KNOW HATES PUZZLES AND COLOURING!!!!!!! Except me because it keeps me occupied. So as time went on I went from little puzzles to 500 piece larger puzzles and now I have graduated to 3D PUZZLES. A 1500 piece 3D PUZZLE took me 2 months to put together!!!!!!! Lol and 10 minutes to take apart!! 😂😂. So I told my husband “building a puzzle is like drawing a blueprint (for my son), program and computer (for my husband, time table for my university daughter and helps me teach and show my high school grad daughter that life if one piece at a time and takes time, love, patience and LOTS OF CARE BECAUSE IT IS FRAGILE!!!!!!! Lol I built houses, shelves, fences and everything else physical because I like to hit the bed and sleep ALL NIGHT!!!!!!! 😘🦅🙏🏼💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — March 21, 2020 @ 1:33 PM