2020 Resolutions | January 2, 2020

We all have them. Whether we keep them a secret to ourselves or proclaim them to the world.

I guess mine are now hardly secret.

But here I go, taking the plunge…

My resolutions for 2020:

1. To give as much to my Epilepsy Talk family as you give to me

2. To listen more closely to others

3. To be more patient

4. To be more understanding

5. To be a better problem solver

6. To be more proactive rather than reactive. (That’s a toughie.)

7. To spend a little less time working (!)

8. To spend more time with my extended family

9. To laugh more — it’s good for the soul (and brainwaves)

10. And of course, to lose 10 pounds!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. For the past few years my resolution has been NOT to make any resolutions. I never kept them anyway.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Pat Cade — January 2, 2020 @ 10:14 AM

2. Goodmorning Phylis and HAPPY NEW YEAR 🥳 🙏🏼🦅😇💞. Goodness NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS!! WOW! Well I’m not one to make new resolutions however maybe this is the year for that!!
    1) find the best medication that can help me with my health (epilepsy) that are NOT PAINFULLY TOXIC!
    2) become more proactive instead of reactive with all the people who are in my life now (your epilepsy group and my family, friends, health care professionals)
    3) I am so excited about the following two there are no words to explain it!! Watch my baby graduate HighSchool and start her post secondary education!!!!! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🦅🦅😇😇😘😘😘😘😘 and GO ON THAT TRAIN TRIP ACROSS CANADA FOR OUR 25th anniversary at the end of July!! I received an email here in Canada from the “Canadian Epilepsy Alliance and Via Rail” that I can travel anywhere or train goes and a person (who can be there for me can go for free) in any class or sleeper accommodation!! 😃😃😃😃😃. I have always wanted to do this with my husband!! So now I have something to strive for!!
    3) be more patient, confident, caring and humble or compassionate with others and myself.
    4) help but help in this format (through a story or lesson) because that’s how I was raised to teach and help (be a BETTER LISTENER AND MORE GENTLE AND COMPASSIONATE) 😘💞.
    5) GET BETTER!! And some day go SKY DIVING 😃.
    6) and MAYBE JUST MAYBE meet you and your husband at NIAGRA ON THE LAKE 😘🙏🏼🦅😇💞😘.
    7) keep eating better as well and maybe one day skate again 😘.
    Well that’s all I could think of right now, but some maybe added later 😊. Please have a VERY VERY BLESSED HAPPY NEW YOU TO YOU AND ALL OF US PHYLIS 😊🙏🏼🦅😇😘😘😘😘😘💞💞💞💞💞

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 2, 2020 @ 1:07 PM

3. Wow, what great resolutions! (Except that because of his disability, my husband can’t fly or drive that far to Niagra on the Lake.)

I’m all with you on trying to be proactive rather than reactive. Easier said than done.

“Patient, confident, caring and humble or compassionate with others and myself” are definites in life and on my list.

“Be more patient, confident, caring and humble or compassionate with others and myself.” I strive for patience and confidence. Two polar opposites, but, none the less, necessary.

You GO girl! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2020 @ 1:43 PM

• Thank you Phylis 😘. All day (THE FIRST TIME EVER) I kept thinking about you (now mine for me) and your list. And for the first time in a VERY SERIOUS MANNER I thought to myself “now how do I make it to a 50yr anniversary?!!”. The thing that kept coming back to me was “MY HEALTH”! Even the neurologist said I was toxic due to the medications I was on!! Lol then put me on an even MORE LETHAL MEDICATION ON TOP!! 😳. So I figured well maybe it’s time to see how I can help myself possibly wean myself off this OLD MEDICATION kind of and titrate half and half on to medical marijuana (the kind that doesn’t smell or do what I think happens to a person). That way I can start to slowly help myself wean off of the old medications and possibly try and see if “NATURE” or something natural could help fill the void for the other half of my medications to equal them out. Without fear of negative repercussions on me. And the hyponatremia will possibly stop as well? Hmmm 🤔 maybe just maybe. Awe it never hurts to look into things? ITS CALLED FAITH 🙏🏼🦅😇😘

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 2, 2020 @ 8:53 PM

• PLEASE KATHY, DON’T PLAY DOCTOR!

At least consult with SOME doctor.

I understand your need for both wellness and freedom from the hated hyponatremia.

Medical marijuana is fine. But, you also have to experiment with it. And do some studying.

There’s oil, vaping, gels, tablets, compounds. Arthur has tried them all, none of them worked for him. But his problems are very different than yours.

I think if you go to a dispensary, you can speak to a counselor. I know some are more effective than others at recommending what you might try.

But you may have to try and try again. You might get favorable results, you might get no results, or you might end up somewhere in between.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2020 @ 9:50 PM

• Oh don’t worry!!!! I am FAR FROM A DOCTOR!! Lol 😂. I have contacted a natural health clinic and do have an appointment in a couple of weeks to meet with them. Oddly I’ve just never had to worry or think about our medications until last year. Then I dawned on me. I was raised by my very old people (in my culture) and all of our medication was natural and healing prayers. I was taught and raised that way from my great grandparents, great aunties and great uncles and my grandma (I was their baby) and humbly I can admit “I WAS A BRAT”! But I had never been asked by a medical professional what would work for me? Before. For the first time I looked at my husband and (in my Blackfoot tongue) told him “gee I don’t know any these medications now? Time to learn”. Maybe it’s time to go back to nature and meet with a doctor in that field and then go to my traditional doctor and my family doctor and other epileptics and go from there. But at least try and at least ask and become better educated and informed. Funny how once we find our magic concoction we never think of the future one until we have too!! I will go and meet with a doctor at the dispensary first (DON’T WORRY) I would NEVER PLAY DOCTOR but change only happens if we at least try!! WOW AM I EVER NIAVE!!!!! I will meet you one day Phylis and bring you a “Tim Hortons” coffee from this side of the pond 😘 and maybe that could also be a “NEW YEARS GOAL” 😊🙏🏼🦅😇😘😘😘😘😘.

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 2, 2020 @ 10:14 PM

• By the way here in Canada we have “VIA RAIL” they teamed up “EPILEPSY CANADA” and if you have epilepsy you can travel on Via Rail and your partner (providing they can help you if you have a seizure) travels for free in any class anywhere via rail goes 😃. Just so your Canadian epileptic family is knowledgeable and aware of this 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 2, 2020 @ 10:32 PM

• That’s terrific! Wish we had that in the U.S.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 3, 2020 @ 8:42 AM

• Goodmorning Phylis 😊. Maybe you do somewhere? I never knew until I received it in my email at Christmas. I thought WOW!! There are angels!! Such as yourself in the world 😘. It really helps and gives me a goal to reach and really look forward to in this crazy world we’ve been brought into 😊🙏🏼🦅😇💗😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 3, 2020 @ 9:56 AM

• Goodevening Phylis 😊. I just wanted to inform you I had a follow up appointment for the lump I had on my leg that turned my life into a month of YIKES!!!!! Well I finished my antibiotics (of all forms) and had my re-check today. Turned out the infection is still draining now, but IT IS GETTING BETTER!! 🙏🏼🦅😇🙏🏼. However I am on another round of antibiotics for 5 more days. I finally asked told the doctor then asked the doctor if he could please help me understand what medications would be best to change to or (I am just TOO HONEST) if CBD May help me? He said I obviously had this infection for quite awhile and that could possibly be why I have been going numb as well!! But that he would gladly take the time to sit with me and help me go through the various medications and natural health products to help with the toxicity caused by too many medications , but first he wants to ensure the infection is completely gone!! I agreed. 😊🙏🏼🦅😇❤️. I am SO LUCKY to have the medical doctors and people who are VERY UNDERSTANDING, CARING AND COMPASSIONATE!! SHUCKS I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD ONE NASTY INFECTION LIKE THIS BEFORE!!!!!!! There are very good health professionals out there, but the hard part is actually finding one who is willing to sincerely learn and help. 🙏🏼🦅😇💞

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 3, 2020 @ 9:37 PM

• That’s fantastic news!

And the fact that you have a doctor who cares and is going to get to the bottom of this is even better.

I guess your faith paid off.

Maybe there’s a lesson in that for all of us!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2020 @ 9:14 AM

• Goodmorning Phylis 😊. Yes it ever a relief and I am SO GRATEFUL, THANKFUL AND APPRECIATIVE of the doctors assistance 🙏🏼🦅😇❤️. I’m not sure about everyone with epilepsy, but I do know for myself I tell my family, friends and doctors “one thing I realized epilepsy doesn’t afford me to be a liar!! As much as it hurts now I always believe short term pain for long term gain and sincerity and honesty are always the best policy. If I do fib or not be honest I feel it weighs on my conscience and really bothers me and can sometimes trigger seizures. So as much as I can I try my best to always be sincere and honest (even if it does hurt sometimes), but I also like to become educated and properly informed as well. Lol I want to be a grandma someday and be here for my husband, children, family, and friends and GO SKATING, BIKING, SWIMMING AND WALKING AGAIN!!!!!!! Lol and (I know it’s a dream, but you never know) GO BUNGIE JUMPING or ONE THE ZIP LINE ACROSS LAS VEGAS AND WHITE WATER RAFTING!!!!!!! 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃 Lol 😂. Thank you for JUST BEING YOU PHYLIS AND YOU EPILEPTIC FAMILY!! 😘🙏🏼🦅😇💞😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 4, 2020 @ 9:38 AM

4. Love all your comments, for me I have been continuing to focus on diet etc to achieve better health and be a better person to my dear wife and friends during 2020 some encouraging progress, from growing most of our own veggies, lots of herbs, some attention towards selenium and boron and zero alcohol, I am now nearly 8 weeks seizure free, early days but feeling a lot better, short memory still is a challenge but given I’m 72 I may have to modify my expectations a little.
    Seasons greetings and love to you all.
    Donald. .

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Donald Nairn — January 2, 2020 @ 3:15 PM

5. Mine are
    1. Get more sleep (quality)
    2. Spend more time with my grandkids
    3. Get more exercise
    4. Be happier, not so quiet.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Bonnie — January 2, 2020 @ 3:26 PM

• Did you know that laughter is good for your health AND your EEG results? No kidding!

Laugh a little — it’s good for your health!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 2, 2020 @ 3:55 PM

• Lol I remember when I had to go for one EEG where I got to sleep and then the next one where I had to stay up for 24 hours!! My best friend came over and we watched movies all night!!!!! What made me laugh even harder was when we spoke or I wanted to ask her if she wanted a coffee or tea? I text her to ask for 😂. It was so hilarious because she looked up at me and we both burst out laughing 😂 😂😂😂😂. Of course she responded with a text in return and then looked at me and again we were sooooooo tired all we could do was laugh 😂 😂. The next morning I felt as though I just closed my eyes and my husband was waking us both up telling us “I NEVER SLEPT WITH YOU TWO LAUGHING YOUR HEADS OFF ALL NIGHT!! AND NOW YOUR BOTH SLEEPING??!! WHAT THE HECK TIME DID YOU FALL ASLEEP??”. Lol we didn’t know except for there was a horse on the tv!! Lol 😂 I never did ask how I did on that eeg 😅

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 3, 2020 @ 9:16 PM

• 🙂 🙂 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2020 @ 9:11 AM

6. I just have one resolution – to take care of my health so I can see my 20th anniversary of being seizure-free from my Dec. 11, 2000 surgery.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Ed Lugge — January 3, 2020 @ 5:13 PM

• YAY ED! Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 3, 2020 @ 6:22 PM

• Goodevening Ed 😊 WOW!! What an accomplishment that is!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!! You make me proud 😊. You’ll make it!! 😊👍🏽

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 3, 2020 @ 9:08 PM

• Thank you, Phylis and Kathy! I had a few resolutions along the way that were only possible because of the surgery: In 2010, I ran as part of a relay team in a marathon. In 2014, I competed in a triathlon sponsored by our local Epilepsy Foundation and finished second. Oh, in 2003, I DROVE to six baseball stadiums on the same trip.
        Only downside is the car accident from a seizure that urged me to have surgery screwed up the L3 and L4 in my spine so a lot of things like running the dr. doesn’t want me to do anymore but I can live with that. I have my medals and souvenirs.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Ed Lugge — January 4, 2020 @ 10:59 AM

• Thank you Ed 😊. Congratulations!! JUST KEEP TRYING!!!!! I used to coach hockey and I trained my players (at a very young age) NEVER TO LET ANYTHING MAKE THEN QUIT!! Lol even a seizure 😉😊. Weird how it was a major concussion that brought me down from a fall down the stairs from a seizure that slowed me down! But I just KEEP TRYING!! Of course I don’t play or skate anymore BUT I WILL AGAIN SOMEDAY SOON!! 😊🙏🏼🦅😇🙏🏼

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 4, 2020 @ 11:40 AM

• Faith, girl. You GO!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2020 @ 3:55 PM

7. Sounds like you’ve had a good run of it. (No pun intended.)

I’m sorry about your lumbar damage.

But, with your attitude, I’m sure you’ll be able to make it
    to your 20th anniversary of being seizure free by December 11, 2020!

20 years. That’s awesome.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2020 @ 11:21 AM

8. You know I haven’t had any seizures (well what I normally had “grandmal”) 15 months!! I am still in the process of TRYING TO THINK 20 years seizure free!!!!! WOW THAT IS A MIRACLE FOR ANY EPILEPTIC!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ED!! 😃😃. KEEP GOING!! 😃🙏🏼🦅😇😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 5, 2020 @ 11:26 AM

• Great news and a great resolution.

Now if you can only get your meds on track…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 5, 2020 @ 11:43 AM

• YES!!!!!!! I WILL!! Lol I want to play again 😃😃😃😃😃🙏🏼🦅😇💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 5, 2020 @ 12:16 PM

9. I have confidence with your determination, you will!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 5, 2020 @ 1:27 PM

10. Goodmorning Phylis 😊. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING FAITH IN ME!! Sometimes just the pure faith and understanding by anyone HELPS THE MOST!! Funny how people seem to lose that so fast and yet you, we and everyone you help here always seem to have a way or re-kindling and re-storing what others may not be able to do because they have never really walked in our shoes. They watch us though. SO KEEP WALKING TALL AND BE PROUD OF YOURSELF PHYLIS AND ALL MEMBERS IF YOUR ONLINE FAMILY!! 😊🙏🏼🦅😇💞😘😘😘😘😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — January 6, 2020 @ 8:11 AM