Some Stress and Anxiety Solutions… | October 27, 2019

Sometimes my hands shake so much, I look like I’m leading a symphony. (Without a baton.) Legs too, I have to sit down.

Maybe you panic before a test, the very fear of having a seizure, social rejection, job anxieties, debt, fear of failure, an anticipated argument, holidays, fear of flying.

There are probably as many kinds of stress and panic attacks as there are those of us who suffer from them.

And behaviors: trembling, sweating, hyperventilating, breathlessness, feeling faint or light-headed, a sense of disorientation, cramping, nausea, your heart pounding like it’s going to explode from your chest, a fear of dying.

Or you’re just plain scared.

I could go on forever. And I’m sure you could, too.

It might be because your serotonin level is low, you’re feeling a sense of “fight or flight.”

But anxiety is actually related to epilepsy in more specific ways.

It can occur not only as a reaction, but also as a symptom and in some cases, as a side-effect of seizure medicines.

In some cases, stress and panic attacks have been misdiagnosed as epilepsy, and epilepsy has even been misdiagnosed as panic attacks!

For example, hyperventilation caused by anxiety can trigger a convulsion, which can further complicate the diagnosis.

A person can have a panic attack which may eventually turn to a seizure, or that seizure may be the result of stress.

The worst part is that neither just “goes away.”

But happily, there are some solutions…

1. Deep breathing. I breath in through my nostrils with pursed lips from the diaphragm. (Note: ribs rise as opposed to tummy.) Then exhale twice as long as inhaling. Ten times in a row is best. Or you can try more if you’re feeling really tense. If you’re having trouble relaxing before you go to bed, try 3-5 times. I try to make it a habit. The beauty of this is that you can do it any time, any where, and as long as you need to, until that nasty panic goes away.

2. Visualization. I think of a particular happy experience (or two) and sort of let it take over my body. Like watching the waves crash. Or eating a lobster roll in Maine.

3. Music. I take 30 minutes that’s just mine, get in a comfy chair, put on headphones and forget about the rest of the stuff. It’s so relaxing, that sometimes I feel like I’m transported to another place. Away from my fears.

4. Walking a few miles or so, taking in my surroundings. Sometimes it’s the trees, a bird flying by, a beautiful sunset. Or maybe watching other people (I admit it, I’m an incurable people watcher), cloud formations. Whatever presents itself before me. Being in the moment.

5. I do run an epilepsy support group. (You could join one or start your own.) It’s helpful to hear other people’s fears and concerns and try to help each other. There’s a feeling of accomplishment, community, sharing and of course, making new friends. After all, aren’t we all in this together?

6. I try to do something new that’s creative. (Obviously, after 30+ years, it’s not writing.) Right now, I’m trying to learn more about my camera, so I can take some real pictures, other than just of my cat.

7. There’s meds (yup, that too) and cognitive therapy (which has done a world of good for me).

I’d love to be able to meditate, but I just don’t have the attention span. Try deep muscle relaxation, but who has the time?

Or finally, confront my fears and think of what’s the worst thing that could happen?

Maybe some day. Soon.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow.”

1. Goodmorning Phylis 😃. I hope all is well with you and your feeling good 😘. I apologize I have been tackling my own body and LOTS OF SPECIALISTS OF ALL SORTS!! No I am far from finished, BUT I realized the not ALL DOCTORS, NEUROLOGISTS, EPITOLOGISTS and PHARMACISTS are in it for the patient, but more for the money. On the flip side their SOME SPECIALISTS, DOCTORS AND PHARMACISTS TRUALY IN IT FOR THE PATIENT!! Personally i felt as though I was a “pin cushion” (and still am) however it hit me my medication was TOO STRONG!! I could never seem to get to the right specialist. Therefore I started to (yes on my own) very very slowly cut the medications down one by one!!!!!! And I AM ON A HECK OF A LOT OF MEDICATION!!!!! After realizing my pharmacist really wasn’t out to help me I had to research and research and be my own advocate and helper!! So way back in September I slowly began to cut each medication down IN A VERY VERY SLOW FASHION!! The funny part was once I cut the carbamazepine down even by 200mgs/ daily I STARTED TO FEEL AGAIN!!!!!!! Low and behold ALL MY LEVELS SHOT UP TO NORMAL RANGE!!!!!!! 😳😳. Lol then I started cutting the clobazam down and again SLOWLY LOSING THE TINGLY NUMBNESS!!!!!!! Even my “Internal Specialist” was VERY SURPRISED AND ASKED ME “WHAT DID YOU DO??!!!!!!!”. I told him. The following day I had my usual weekly bloodwork done and it’s all better and better and better!! That was what led me to think “HMMMMM because of the low electrolyte levels I BET ITS THE SEROTONIN!!!!!”. I changed my diet (back to what I raised with) and changed my salt from “TABLE SALT” to “HIMALAYAN SALT OR SEA SALT”. I also cut my fluid intake down to 1.5 litres a day. And the “WATER WEIGHT” started to leave as well!! The INCREDIBLE SEROTONIN OR LACK OF!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! Thank you and please take care of yourself and have a VERY GOOD DAY TODAY!! 😊🙏🏼🦅😇😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 12:24 PM

2. Just one thing, Kathy.

Be careful. Don’t try to be your own doctor.

But I do respect the fact that you know your body best and have to be your own advocate.

Please have bloodwork regularly, so you know that your meds are at a safe level.

Also, you might find this article interesting:

Epilepsy and Electrolytes

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 12:39 PM

3. I completely agree with you!! I also make sure to have a banana, only 1 cup of coffee/day and one cup of apple cinnamon tea as well as a cup of milk. I did ask why I wasn’t on any B vitamins. I’ll figure that out this coming week. Also I have been referred to a “gastroenterologist” because of stones that were never removed in 2015. After 41 years on Dilantin, 36 years of carbamazepine, 9 years of high dose clobazam and 4 years of 45 mgs of trazodone it came down to biochemistry. My body couldn’t take it anymore and was hurting me and making me numb. For the past 2 weeks all my levels are on par!! But I was still lacking B Vitamins, Iron levels. So I began to eat high levels of food higher in iron and I already take 40mgs of pantoprazole a day along with magnesium. Funny how people don’t realize what they eat affects their heart, body’s and minds!! Which in turn hurts their spirits 💗

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 1:05 PM

4. Kathy,

B Complex Vitamins are without a question, the star of all vitamins. In sufficient quantities, especially those that combine B6, B12, folic acid, thiamine and biotin, they are vital to the production of numerous brain chemicals.

Like the neurotransmitters which serve as the chemical message bearers between your nervous system and brain.

The most efficient way to make use of this “brain food,” is to take it in a B complex form, since this contains all the vitamins in the B group. And when combined, they work synergistically together.

Take a single B-50 B complex tablet twice a day with food.

Each dose should contain 50 micrograms of vitamin B12 and biotin, 400 micrograms of folic acid, and 50 milligrams each of all the other B vitamins.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 1:10 PM

• Co-Enzyme B works even better for me, but it can be hard to find.

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 2:19 PM

• Coenzyme B Food Complex provides support to your nervous system and promotes energy metabolism.

I use CoQ10 which delivers essential antioxidents, nutrients and promotes cardiovascular health.

Both are a boon to your nervous system and your heart.

Also, you might consider taking 500 mg. Acetyl-L-Carnitine which energizes the brain and increases the levels of important neurotransmitter chemicals needed for memory, focus, and learning.

Research shows that it also prevents and repairs the damage done to brain cells caused by stress and poor nutrition.

Because of these three benefits, Acetyl-L-Carnitine dramatically improves mental concentration and mental energy.

It is a natural component of our brain’s chemistry, but the body only makes it in small amounts. So supplementing with it is highly recommended for optimal brain function.

Also suggested is that Acetyl-L-Carnitine can prevent side effects caused by Valproic Acid (Depacon, Depakene, Depakote), seizure medications.

Brain Food for Your Health… https://epilepsytalk.com/2017/07/28/brain-food-for-your-health/

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 4:37 PM

• Yes, bliss. So nice! Thanks for the suggestions on supplements. My nutrition is pretty good, but there’s been a lot of stress these last few years.

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 6:09 PM

• Goodevening Phylis 😊 out of curiosity do taking “BRAND NAME MEDICATION vs GENERIC MEDICATION” make a difference in how our bodies react to certain medication? I ask because my doctor used to have to fill out my prescription with a letter of “NO SUBSTITUTION” and I just realized tonight “MY NEW DOCTOR” hasn’t done that. Therefore the medication I’ve been getting “CARBAMAZEPINE (or TEGRETOL) and “PHENYTOIN” (or DILANTIN) has all been changed to the generic medication and “NOT THE BRAND NAME” like it used to be!!!!! But that’s because of my pharmacist not making my doctor aware of that change!! I apologize I just caught it tonight as I was taking my medication. WOW!!

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 5, 2019 @ 12:52 AM

• If the doctor does not put “Do not substitute” on the script, all bets are off.

It’s both the doing of the pharmacy and your insurance.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 5, 2019 @ 9:00 AM

• The actual drug is supposed to be the same, but the “delivery system” – the coating, and the gunk that holds the drug together in pill form – may differ. I have had very different reactions from various forms of the same med.

Comment by HoDo — November 5, 2019 @ 9:16 AM

• Goodmorning Phylis 😃. WOW!!!!!!! I wish people knew the difference!! Even epileptics and their families!! When I was 15 I started taking 600mgs of tegretol. It didn’t work for me so I quit taking it. I got really sick (quite frankly I didn’t care). Thank GOD/CREATOR MY DOCTOR REALIZED I was on the “NO NAME TEGRETOL” (like getting all the medication in ONE SHOT ALL AT ONCE) and switched it to the “BRAND NAME TEGRETOL (that was a timed released capsule over the day). After that I had no problems. He told me NEVER TO EVER TAKE NO NAME TEGRETOL AGAIN!! Because my body couldn’t handle all that medication in one shot!!!!!!! Thanks to what you do for all of us daily I took a better look at my medication SURE ENOUGH IT IS ALL NO NAME!!!!!!! WOW!! People say their both the same, BUT THEY ARE NOT AT ALL THE SAME DRUG!!!!!!! They have to understand the difference and what it does to us!! Because that could be a HUGE REASON WHY I GO NUMB AND MY STOMACH ACHES SO BAD I QUIT TAKING MY MEDICATION THAT TIME!! Just so you know that way I just had to deal with one thing at a time. MY DOCTOR AT THAT TIME finally asked me “why are you not taking your medication?” I said “BECAUSE IT HURTS TOO MUCH AND I FEEL NUMB AFTER WITH THE STOMACH ACHES AS WELL”. He then changed my prescription to “TEGRETOL CR” AND “DILANTIN” both with NO SUBSTITUTION in the prescription. He promised it would help and you know what? IT DID!! I ended up looking at my medication LASTNIGHT and reviewing it and SURE ENOUGH MY PHARMACIST PUT ME BACK ON THE “NO NAME” “CARBAMAZEPINE AND PHENYTOIN”. Wow

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 5, 2019 @ 10:10 AM

5. OH WOW!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH PHYLIS!! 🙏🏼😃🦅💞. Also IF I MAY “TEGRETOL (CARBAMAZEPINE) is a serotonin blocker!! Meaning not everything the brain requires is more less blocked from crossing the “BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER” is it not? Which also prevents the brain from getting the “Sodium Chloride” helping the brain as it normally should. Yes or no? Thank you for sharing all your experience with us PHYLIS!! 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 1:55 PM

6. Carbamazepine is a sodium channel blocker. It binds preferentially to voltage-gated sodium channels in their inactive conformation, which prevents repetitive and sustained firing of an action potential. Carbamazepine has effects on serotonin systems but the relevance to its antiseizure effects is uncertain.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 2:11 PM

7. That is why an “OLD MEDICATION” should possibly be reviewed on an epileptic. It’s just upsetting when we “as epileptics” know that our bodies are having an issue and possibly why, but we are miss diagnosed or looked upon as “MAYBE WE (AS EPILEPTICS) HAVING A MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE, WHEN WE REALLY AREN’T!! Or are not being heard and have a team of medical professionals working with us. But AT LEAST WE ARE HERE FOR EACHOTHER!! 😊🙏🏼🦅😇😘💝

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 2:20 PM

8. Let’s not underestimate depression.

One study stated that 80% of the patients with epilepsy were also diagnosed as having a depressive disorder.

Upwards of 60% of these individuals had a history of significant episodes of depression.

And 10-32% experience symptoms of anxiety.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 2:28 PM

9. I completely agree with you there as well. On the other hand there are certain cultures within our world who have had a past in which can now affect the future generations. “EPIGENETICS” and as much as we try to overcome such issues now we must also remember that for some those issue now affect ourselves and our futures. For example: trauma or traumatic past events to our people to which endured such horrific childhoods and pasts. Those people left a mark on the future generations that may not be aware of. Which created the distrust and not being harmonious with one another. Without realizing it our “genetic codes” have left some of us feeling apprehensive to move forward towards true healing. On the other hand I DO AGREE WITH THE ANXIETY!! I more less know physical activity and sports, but the lack of being able to simply sweat now limits me. Lol but I do it anyways 😊🦅🙏🏼😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 2:51 PM

10. For example: CAN EPILEPTICS TRUELY FEEL THAT EMOTION? Or are those or that part of their/our brains prevents from actually feeling that emotion or is it blocked with the medication as well? Thank you 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 3:05 PM

• Well anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds help block the negative feelings. But I don’t know what blocks the positive feelings.

Perhaps that’s something you just have to do by yourself and/or with others through affirmation.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 3:57 PM

• I like that, but I was actually asking in general because other people may not want to ask. Thank you

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 4:07 PM

11. It’s appears to be a difficult thing for anyone/everyone to talk about on all levels that’s all. Thank you.

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 4:12 PM

• I’m with you there. But aren’t most negative emotions more difficult to express, whether it be meds, chemistry, make-up or mood?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 4:34 PM

• Maybe they should be allowed the chance to express them without fear of being labelled as “depressed”. We’re all human and we all need to learn to love and accept eachother for who we are without fear of judgment or the unknown. I like contentment. However I also like to understand and be understood as well 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 4:47 PM

12. Expression is difficult to understand. However may that’s something that needs to brought an awareness for all. If it’s not then assumptions are made all around. Lol I do agree that there are times an epileptic does need (including myself) anti anxiety medication. On that note I came to realize even going to a specialist, doctor, work, school, and home or families functions can put ME (possibly other epileptics) in a VERY ANXIOUS frame of mind. And maybe that should be considered. Thank you 😊😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 4:43 PM

• Gosh Kathy, I think that goes for EVERYONE — whether they have epilepsy or not.

After all, isn’t that why we are here? To express ourselves to those we know will appreciate what we say and feel?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 9:13 PM

13. WHY are my comments AGAIN not getting posted on your E T forums ? I tried again with what I felt was my BEST & SUPPORTIVE info & experiences I have lived with & typed & clicked all what had to be done to see NOTHING I typed as posted for others to read. This gets old & it could cause OTHERS if they get too frustrated over that to have a seizure, like that can never happen ??????? Your post was just about that issue on brain chemistry that anything could trigger everything.So WHAT’s THE ANSWER FOR ME NOW ? Craig Davis

Comment by jcdavis@hardynet.com — October 27, 2019 @ 8:15 PM

14. Craig, at last you’re back. And we know — and appreciate — that you have things to say.

I don’t know why or if you were “blocked”. (I have an over-enthusiastic spam filter that eliminated 500 people in ONE day!)

But the good news is that you’re here!

And that indeed is GOOD NEWS!

Whatever you did to post this comment, keep on doing it.

Welcome back. And please, don’t go away!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 8:58 PM

15. I had the same problem one time as well. So your not alone 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 10:04 PM

16. No need to scream Phylis 😘. I just did as you said and re-installed you app again 😊🦅💞

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 11:09 PM

17. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 27, 2019 @ 11:25 PM

18. I do not have epilepsy (but my son does). But I have had panic attacks, and I know how awful and embarrassing they are. I have found the easiest way to abort a panic attack is to engage in conversation with somebody. Ask the other person anything — what movies they have seen recently, what books have they read, how old are their children, what school do they go to, etc., etc. If I am in the dentist’s chair, I simply demand, “Talk to me.” It usually works for me.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Martha — October 27, 2019 @ 11:33 PM

19. I do that too!! And I’m an EPILEPTIC!! 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 27, 2019 @ 11:52 PM

20. Phylis, Thank you for another informative article, I feel as if you were describing my condition.
    Keeping track of my seizures, I noticed most of the symptoms you described in this article are building crusts/episodes, leading into the main event, the next grandmal seizure.
    Furthermore, I’ve come to notice that bright lights & light probes are triggering most of these symptoms for I only feel these dreadful symptoms coming in the late evenings or in to the night, striking like photosensitive seizures.
    Therefore, I’ve statrted to wear dark glasses in the late evening & into the night, reducing most of these symptoms & my grandmal seizures.
    While wearing dark glasses at night in public places & public transportation feels an outcast, strange & uncomfortable, so far the results in minimizing & controlling the terrifying symptoms & seizures has been very effective & encouraging.
    It’s pleasing to know that some basic techniques & cheap materials just like dark glasses can help to reduce the terrifying symptoms & disorder.
    Best wishes to all.
    Gerrie

Liked by 2 people

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — October 28, 2019 @ 7:34 AM

• Gerrie, as always, you know the best way to cope with your own problems and disabilities.

And I hope these additional techniques will take you one step closer to overcoming those anxieties that lead to your seizures.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 10:15 AM

• Does the color of the lens in the dark glasses make a difference? Or the darkness of the color?
      Or do you use just plain off-the-shelf “dark glasses”?
      Thx.

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 12:38 PM

• As for photosensitive epilepsy glasses, here are two links that may either help you or confuse you.

Photosensitive epilepsy glasses https://www.google.com/search?q=photosensitive+epilepsy+glasses&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjswLTitr_lAhXRTd8KHSggBV8QsxgIMA&biw=1907&bih=922

But I’m sure Gerrie can answer this question better than me. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 1:07 PM

• Interesting question HoDo,,, From my personal experience, I learned about Photosensitive seizures after I had grandmal seizure in Optometrist’s desk while I was having LASER test for eye exam, totally unrelated to my epilepsy.
        Having grandmal seizure in the middle of the LASER TEST, I had to spend the night in the hospital intensive care unit, forcing the Optometrist to abort & cancel my eye exam, rescheduling my eye test for the next day.
        The next day, going back to the same Optometrist to complete my exam & findout if I needed prescription eyeglasses for blare vision totally unrelated to my epilepsy, the Eye doctor wasn’t too pleased that I failed to let her know that I got epilepsy, in which case she claimed she could have other options & mechanisms of doing the eye test instead of the LASER TEST, which triggered my seizure.
        This day happened to be the day of my introduction to photosensitive seizures, I NEVER heard of before.
        Ever since this day, thanks to the Optometrist’s information, I learned that I must avoid high beam & bright UV light probes from triggering my seizures.
        Therefore, I tried & found out that dark eyeglasses seem to restrict or reduce the sharp edge of the forthcoming high beams & light probes blasting into my eyes, triggering the symptoms & seizures described in this article.
        Therefore, in my case while I found out that I”m BiFocal & need ordinary prescription glasses NOT related to my epilepsy, so far, any dark glasses off the shelf has been instrumental relief from the sharp lights provoking these dreadful symptoms & triggering my siezures.
        In fact, I found out the darker the glasses reducing the high UV lights, there’s better chance of avoiding the triggers for another seizure.

Gerrie

Liked by 2 people

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — October 28, 2019 @ 6:17 PM

• Thanks a lot, Gerrie.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 6:20 PM

• Something that may also help are what I use and their cheap as well and come in different manners are sunglasses called “TAC GLASSES”. 💗

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 12:56 PM

21. Goodmorning 😊. Lol this may sound crazy but I use headphones with the music turned low enough where it doesn’t give me a head ache and sunglasses on top of my glasses. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE GOING OUT AND BEING SO ACTIVE ONCE I GO TO BED AT NIGHT I HIT THE PILLOW AND SLEEP LIKE A BABY THE WHOLE NIGHT!!!!! Oddly it hurts more not to be able to do that!!!!! So I had to make myself find a medium. If I go out and play 😅 I get to have a little more to drink and eat 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — October 28, 2019 @ 10:44 AM

22. The way it was explained to me by one of my neurologists, sometimes a person panics in response to her seizure activity (“That was so embarrassing, awful, etc.”) but sometimes the seizure activity itself activates the limbic system, so that an anxiety or panic attack is actually part of the seizure, not just a response to it. Therapy and breathing can help a person deal with the “in response to” panic. Sometimes, however, I just have to wait to the excited neurons to calm down, and it all goes away at once.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 12:08 PM

• Stress can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And, as you may imagine, it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin.

I’m a big fan of deep breathing, as you’ll see here:

Breathing Your Stress Away… https://epilepsytalk.com/2009/11/18/breathing-your-stress-away/

But, all things considered, it seems that you’re doing a good job of managing things on your own!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 12:21 PM

• What I mean is, sometimes the panic attack IS the seizure, and breathing (into a paper bag, in my case) has limited effect.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 12:45 PM

• Gotcha. Thanks.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 1:07 PM

• I find squeezing my toes or tightening my legs (standing on my tippy toes) helps me 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 3, 2019 @ 11:49 PM

• Kathy, it’s probably a release of tension for you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2019 @ 10:07 AM

• For what it’s worth, twice there were also seizures that were simply minutes of ecstasy – no drugs of any kind involved – and I must say it was interesting. But, like a panic attack seizure, it’s exhausting. And very difficult to explain or describe, so one tends to keep one’s mouth closed after.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by HoDo — October 28, 2019 @ 1:56 PM

• “Ecstatic epileptic seizures are a rare but compelling epileptic entity. During the first seconds of these seizures, ecstatic auras provoke feelings of well-being, intense serenity, bliss, and ‘enhanced self-awareness’.They are associated with the impression of time dilation, and can be described as a mystic experience by some patients.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4756129/

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 28, 2019 @ 4:25 PM

• Lol this may sound really crazy to you, but first of all I really like these nice sunglasses called “Tac Glasses” they work nicely for me when needed and they also have photogenic ones as well for the blue light from the computer screen. However what I found for myself was to actually make my husband go with me into Walmart just so I can pretend to look through some of the stuff their selling and actually just LISTEN TO THOSE AROUND ME!!!!! Lol after hearing other people and their families I come to realize “hey they have the same problem in a different way!! 😘”. Maybe I am normal after all!! 😃

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 3, 2019 @ 11:47 PM

23. When I was younger the panic attacks were bad. My mom gave me a good size teddy bear to hold onto and I would always go lay in my bed and hang on to “Googlie eyes” that’s what I named him. When I was 21 my sister- in-law made me a beautiful teddy that I still have to this day. It’s like he absorbs my panic.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Bonnie — October 30, 2019 @ 12:51 PM

24. What a wonderful “friend” to have!

(Just between you and me, I have a stuffed MOOSE that I hang on to when things get tough.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 30, 2019 @ 2:02 PM

• Moose is my nick name so I collect everything moose. My mother called it my moosabilia.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Bonnie — October 31, 2019 @ 4:16 PM

25. Long live “Moosabila”!!! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 31, 2019 @ 6:11 PM

26. Lol 😂 AWE!! Lol well in all honesty I slept with my grandma my whole life until I left home to pursue what I wanted to at that time. But before I left all I could do was think of HOW WILL I SLEEP WITHOUT HER HUGGING ME??!!!!! So I made myself GO!! BUT BEFORE I LEFT MY GRANDMA CALLED ME AND TOLD ME SHE HAD SOMETHING FOR ME!!!!! 😘🦅😇😘. It was a “body pillow WITH ARMS AND LEGS TO HUG ME AT NIGHT!!!!!!!” 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃. I looked at her and she said “NOW I CAN STILL HUG YOU EVERYNIGHT MY GIRL!! 😘🙏🏼🦅😇💗😘😘😘😘😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 3, 2019 @ 11:57 PM

27. Sorry to be a pain, but there was one other thing I wanted to tell you about that I purchased for myself recently. It may sound crazy, but I completely understand why it works so well!! It’s called a “WEIGHTED BLANKET” the one I bought for myself is a little heavy however I completely understand it’s reasoning!! Because it has been very seldom I have been able to sleep a whole night due to a change in “A WOMAN’S LIFE”. So I bought a cool blanket. The nice was I instantly fell asleep and haven’t woke up all night. On the flip side I have noticed IF I FALL ASLEEP WITH IT ALL NIGHT my legs actually feel it the next day!! Almost rubbery like. It is a very heavy blanket, but is matched to your weight. I’ve learned to use it when I need it, but not all the time. Just a thought 💭

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 5:29 PM

28. Sounds very cool. (No pun intended!)

Do you want to send a link to the one you recommend for other readers?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2019 @ 8:32 PM

• Lol 😂 thank you 😊. I apologize I don’t know how to do that!! But I went into “Bed and Bath” in Lethbridge, Canada. There are various sizes and weighted blankets. Their designed to the weight of a person. However the one I bought is called “THERAPEDIC” COOL TO THE TOUCH (weighted cooling blanket). I bought a blanket by the weight of 16lbs (7kg). The dimensions are based on your weight. My blankets dimension is 52 inches x 72 inches (132cmx182cm), it’s ranged between 140-170 LBS (63-77kg). It does go all the way up to 25LBS (11kg). There are also some that are not for cooling as well. IF YOU DECIDE TO GO TO A “BED, BATH AND BEYOND” you can download their app and get 20% off the original price as well. People can get online and see them. I also noticed they are being sold in other department stores as well. 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 8:49 PM

• SUPER! Thanks Kathy.

I’d get one, but I don’t think Arthur would be too happy.

Especially since I always seem to shove the blankets (no matter how many or how heavy) onto him in the middle of the night! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2019 @ 9:02 PM

• Lol actually I feel like the reason I sleep so good is because it’s really meant for one person and one side of the bed. I just put the sheet down then put the blanket on my side of the bed (because it’s meant for one person only) and the. Put the rest of the blankets on the bed like normal. So I guess I don’t really hog all the blankets at night now either 😁😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 9:18 PM

• Arthur would be overjoyed! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2019 @ 9:51 PM

• I found I felt light the next day because that blanket stayed on me due to the fact that it moulds to you and your body 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 9:19 PM

29. It’s 10% of a persons body weight. 💗😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 4, 2019 @ 8:50 PM

30. Thanks…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2019 @ 9:03 PM

31. Hi Phylis 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 8, 2019 @ 6:31 PM

32. It is the medication. I SINCERELY CAN’T BELIEVE IT!! And it wasn’t even my fault plus I wasn’t even aware of it!

Comment by Kathy S.B — November 8, 2019 @ 7:09 PM

33. Thank you for that post. Yes, panic attacks and fear is the worst with ep. but I’ve decided to never be afraid… wish me luck!

Comment by mattiasl1 — November 13, 2019 @ 5:58 PM

34. GOOD FOR YOU!

And when you panic, don’t forget to take deep breaths.

Ten in through your nostrils. Hold for ten seconds. Then ten out through your mouth.

It works like a charm for me. (Recommended by my therapist!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 13, 2019 @ 6:35 PM

• There can be a problem with holding your breath for ten seconds if you have post-traumatic stress disorder. Breath-holding can be a trigger. Caution advised.

Comment by HoDo — November 14, 2019 @ 12:33 PM