Depression is quiet | July 31, 2019

You would be surprised with how many people in your life could be going through depression at this very moment.

People hide it like a paper bag over their heads, out of fear of being judged, made fun of, seen as weak, or just not taken seriously.

Anyone can fall victim to it.

And much like a mask, people hide it with a smile.

And an “I’m fine.”

Nobody can detect it but yourself,

Because, disguising is easy.

The cheerier you are, the less they’ll suspect.

But you can’t hide it forever.

Everybody reaches a breaking point.

But that’s okay. Don’t be ashamed.

There are people out there who understand.

There is love and support all around you.

By talking with others, you will get the help and assurance that you need to fight through it.

You are precious.

You are loved.

You are not alone.

Have patience with all things.

But most importantly, have patience with yourself.

See each and every new day as an opportunity to grow.

We’ll always be here, waiting for you.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow!”

By: Colleen Butters

Resource: http://www.nobledeedsandhotbaths.com/2015/03/11/depression-is-quiet/

1. Thank you, Phylis! You have been reading my mind. The varying degrees of smile that only a few can perceive. The tone of voice that goes from lyrical to choppy. The tossing and turning that no one can see, both in the bed and inside the skull. I am grateful for the good friends who “get it,” and the strength I have developed to let go of those who don’t. And to develop the “rings of the tree” and “chopping the dead branches” of my friendship tree.” Thanks again.

Comment by megambon2164 — July 31, 2019 @ 4:23 PM

2. Thanks. It has been a lifelong struggle. And I have had help. Day by day, my friend!

Comment by megambon2164 — July 31, 2019 @ 5:44 PM

3. I had to deal with depression more than a few times, especially after the GRAND MAL seizures that I lived through & wonder WHY I had to survive any 1 of them after it was all over. Then you know you are taking drugs over the years from Phenobarbital, Dilantin, Meberal, Tegretol Keppra & others which all seems to have the same or similar chemicals, metals & colored dyes in those drugs that will cause depression & anger/anxiety in the process, which all can relate to the depression. I’m just waiting to hear on the news, to report a person who has been on these AED’s & ADD’s that THEY cause the feelings more than the condition of Epilepsy, as that also is a target to attack a person with seizures, than to blame some drugs. foods or drinks with MSG’s, ASPARTAME’s other chemicals that can make the brain chemistry make you feel depressed & anxious all the time. These 3 sites will explain it better than what I can do, http://www.mpwhi.com & http://www.truthinlabeling.org http://www.saynotomsg.com Why people has a strong desire to IGNORE what these sites say & it is all truth in their words is a mystery to me as my brain never lies where I have had the experiences to match what these truths claim, yet FDA, CDC & others ignores the people like me who are not part of the popular medical people who have all the answers for others, & rejects any words we may say otherwise, that ASPARTAME, MSG & other chemicals are in ”everything today” as our conditions ”never gets worse without a reason for it”. So when a few drugs like a VIMPAT 100mg tablet is some different from the 50, 150, & 200mgs tablets that are worse for me to take, you better believe I will only take the 100mg tablet, as I have no desire to take the others for the reasons I said & is true, when you know.. ”your brain will never lie to you” as it will treat you good or bad & STRESS YOU OUT in those bad days based on ”how” you treat it.

Comment by C D — July 31, 2019 @ 8:08 PM

4. Thank you so much. I would like to read more about the relationship between epilepsy and depression. I have been dealing with both for such a long time.

Comment by Ana Fernandez — July 31, 2019 @ 8:33 PM

5. it took eight years, but, I finally linked up with the right neurologist. With every follow-up visit, he asks “Have you had any thoughts of suicide?” My answer has always been “No” as a I have a great support group of family ad friends, But, over the last few nights, in my DREAMS, it’s been “Your time is over. Time to call it quits.” followed by the “how?” Hub and I talked at length about this. He thinks it’s related to depression because of tons of issues with the staff of doc’s offices and more. Thanks for your post! It couldn’t have been more perfectly timed to serve as a tremendous uplift for me!

Comment by Pamela Phillips — July 31, 2019 @ 8:41 PM

• I can only speak for myself, but I know that “talk therapy” has literally saved my life.

If things get bad, you might want to consider exploring that avenue.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 31, 2019 @ 9:55 PM