A Neurologist Talks About His Own Epilepsy… | June 29, 2019

In this eye-opening article from the New York Times, a neurologist talks about his own journey with epilepsy: his perceptions, other people’s reactions (not good) and how he decided to become a neurologist.

A wonderful account of the doctor as patient and “must” reading for anyone who has epilepsy…

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. WOW, Brilliant article & very enlightening story of a very brave inspiring hero, walking in his patients shoes with personal experience to feel the struggle against Epilepsy.
    Cheers to NYT for excellent report exposing, challenging & dispelling the panic, misinformation & social stigma around seizures.
    Thank you for sharing the story.
    Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — June 29, 2019 @ 11:34 AM

• I agree that it’s very inspiring and eye-opening.

Someone who beat the odds to excel in his own field and follow his own passions.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 29, 2019 @ 11:48 AM

2. a previous neuro who treated me very roughly and I had a row with, he was speaking at a conference and said he’d had seizures after a heart attack, I nearly leapt up shouting, ha ha, now you knowhow I was suffering, he sure didn’t get any sympathy from me

Comment by Gail Barry — June 30, 2019 @ 5:44 AM

3. Wouldn’t it be nice if our docs could put themselves in our shoes?

But then again, who would choose to?

Maybe his seizure moment gave him a BRIEF insight of what you go through EVERY day!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 30, 2019 @ 10:26 AM

4. I wonder how much his malpractice insurance costs? lol. Just thinking about the horrible side effects of those meds on me and wonder about this Dr.

Comment by skolly9 — July 1, 2019 @ 9:09 PM

5. My guess is that the malpractice is for surgery, not drugging the patients. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 1, 2019 @ 9:57 PM

• Actually, Physician/Doctors ordering unnecessary chemotherapy tests & treatments for personal or institutional financial gains, dragging & tormenting “cancer patients” for years has been arrested & prosecuted for medical malpractice in the US.
      Therefore, medical malpractice covers a whole lot more unprofessional misconduct & abuse than just surgery.
      Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — July 2, 2019 @ 11:09 AM

6. Sure, that makes sense Phylis, if a patient has horrific, long-term side effects from their medications, the Dr. can blame the drug company or better yet, the patient, for naively taking the meds!

Comment by skolly9 — July 1, 2019 @ 11:14 PM

7. Sad but true. I don’t know if the patient should be “blamed” though. I think the fault lies with BIG Pharma, as you said.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 2, 2019 @ 8:24 AM

8. Sorry, I was just being sarcastic. In fact, Gerrie is right because someone or something is always being scapegoated in the medical biz if problems occur so yes, medical malpractice is rampant and it makes sense for any med professional to have malpractice insurance.

Comment by skolly9 — July 2, 2019 @ 2:13 PM

9. They sure do need it…unfortunately for us.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 2, 2019 @ 2:26 PM