Laugh a little — it’s good for your health! | June 14, 2019

They say that “laughter is the best medicine.”

Well, believe it or not, it could help your EEG results!

For example, scientists traced the brainwave activity of people responding to funny material.

They were hooked up to an (EEG) and their brain activity was measured when they laughed.

In each case, the brain produces a regular electrical pattern.

Less than a half-second after exposure to something funny, an electrical wave moves through the cerebral cortex.

If the wave takes a negative charge, laughter results. If it maintains a positive charge, no response is given at all.

Next, the left hemisphere analyzes the words and structures of the joke.

The right hemisphere “gets” the joke. The visual sensory area of the occipital lobe creates images.

The limbic (emotional) system makes you happier and the motor sections make you smile or laugh.

Also, laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

It also dissolves negative emotions.

You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.

So, how about a laugh or two? Tell us your favorite funny movie, or a good joke!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Follow”

1. It’s interesting that after a post about laughter. There are no comments. I think that’s funny in itself! 😀

Comment by Mark Thompson — June 15, 2019 @ 7:34 AM

2. Me too!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 15, 2019 @ 9:50 AM

• I make up puns – if I didn’t have something to laugh at with this obstacle I’d have done something in frustration – I almost did once in the ’90’s several years before I got the Vagus Nerve Stimulator.

Comment by Leon Chavarria — July 29, 2019 @ 3:19 PM

3. I used like this, I think this is interesting “Forest Gump” is the most funny movie that I can remember. If you watch it now, I see me and it is not #Funny! Short term memory is so hard to deal with. I don’t watch manny comedys. I like “Pitch Perfect 1,2,&3! I like musicals with comedy! I am more into romance and drama even christian drams. When people joke with me it upsets me. That is my biggest problem. People are only kidding and I don’t get. Its not funny, I don’t understand even before epilepsy this happened. I an a sensitive person. I don’t like to be joked with or made fun of.

Comment by jennyme306@ gmail.com — June 17, 2019 @ 11:39 AM

4. Being the subject of jokes not funny. It’s degrading.

But, for the record, I’m with you.

Musical comedies are my favorite thing.

Along with funny and romantic “chick flicks”.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 17, 2019 @ 11:54 AM

5. Thank you Phylis Its hard to laugh when you dont have friends! I have several online friends including you! One of my friends got me on Facebook in 2009 so that we could keep intouch because we were emailing. It was the best thing in the world for me. I got the friends and the support I needed for Epilepsy. I did Zoom with National Seizure Disorde Foundation! awful foundation but got to see my peer laugh with epilepsy friends. I even bought Zoom for a year for my group only six people took advantage of I shared with all fb epilepsy groups and pages. We all laughed and even talked about epilepsy sometimes.

Comment by jennyme306@ gmail.com — June 17, 2019 @ 12:10 PM

6. We have a support group with the Eastern Foundation of Epilepsy PA where everyone is free to vent, help, share, and laugh.

Great friends have been made, assuring and enduring.

And yes, many times we laugh — both at ourselves and our experiences.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 17, 2019 @ 1:06 PM