Depression is Quiet… | April 1, 2019

You would be surprised how many people in your life could be going through depression at this very moment.

People hide it like a paper bag over their heads out of fear of being judged. Made fun of. Seen as weak. Or just not taken seriously.

Anyone can fall victim to it. And then there’s the lie. “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

No one can detect it. Sometimes, even yourself.

The cheerier you are, the less they’ll suspect.

But, you can’t hide it forever.

Everybody reaches a breaking point.

But that’s OK. Don’t be ashamed.

There are people out there who understand.

There is love and support all around you.

By talking to others, you will get the help and assurance that you need to fight through it. And deserve.

You are precious. You are loved. You are not alone.

Your feelings are real, your feelings are shared with millions.

Have patience with all things. But most importantly, have patience with yourself.

See each and every day as an opportunity to grow and get stronger.

We will always be here for you.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

Resource: http://blogzuola.blogspot.ca/2014/10/depression.html?m=1

1. I had read that Lamictal was initially used as an anti-depressant medication. Probably helps most taking it. But now I can’t drive, need a city with a subway, and am taking far too many mg’s of medications.

Liked by 4 people

Comment by Anonymous — April 1, 2019 @ 10:56 AM

• The lowest dose of Lamictal is known as an anti-convulsive, and anti-depression drug.

It sounds like, even if it IS working, the dose is either too strong for you, or perhaps you should switch to a different med.

I’ve been especially lucky with Lamictal.

At first, it made me hyper/crazy.

But when I changed my bedtime dose to 6:00 PM, all was well.

No-side effects and 99% seizure-free for 10+ years!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 1, 2019 @ 11:57 AM

• Hhi Phylis, what was it about changing your evening dose of Lamictal to 6pm that helped? I didnt realise it was time sensitive? Interested as my daughter is on a large dose, and often takes her evening dose late. She still has seizures. thanks for your articles, really appreciated. Debbie

Comment by Debbie — April 1, 2019 @ 3:16 PM

• I think, in time, I settled down with the Lamictal. And as it crossed successfully into my blood/brain barrier, my system became more accepting. (This is all just a wild guess.)

What I do know is that now, 10 years later, I’m taking Extended Release Lamictal AT NIGHT. And it’s working beautifully.

Go figure.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 1, 2019 @ 6:15 PM

2. Phyllis, Epilepsy Talk is really excellent. Direct, to the point, informative & touching on so many things those of us with epilepsy are concerned with.
    Thank you for doing this!
    Sincerely, Lisa

Liked by 2 people

Comment by l1salindahl — April 1, 2019 @ 12:01 PM

• Epilepsy Talk is definitely a labor of love.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

If you want to, please join us.

Simply go to the bottom of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”. You’ll receive a new email as articles are published.

Again. Thanks for the compliment.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 1, 2019 @ 12:08 PM

3. Seems like by having seizures all your life for over 58 years, it’s nothing at times to feel down and depressed especially after another GRAND MAL seizure happens. DEPRESSION I say is a twin to EPILEPSY but it is not no identical twin as seizures can create depression for most people who come out of a GRAND MAL as you ask yourself,, WHY ? or Why couldn’t I have just died so I would not ever live through another GRAND MAL. See that they say is DEPRESSION, where I call it natural thinking after a person has a GRAND MAL or any other seizure that a person hates to live through. DEPRESSION is another condition that any doctor is HAPPY to say to us we need more drugs to take, while never trying to stop seizures for life to really help any condition or depression. My local doctors office had a survey where the answers all related to a DEPRESSED STATE one can be in. From a 1 to a 5 point scale, it did not matter HOW you answered the 10 questions, as they selections were all rigged to make you look as if you are DEPRESSED. I told that nurse & the doctor I need NO ADD’s as the AED is 1 drug too many that can make you feel bad in itself. My answer was I LOOK UP for help in those times that NO DRUG would ever do. God is all you need 24/7 knowing he is there 24/7 waiting to hear all that is on your brain/mind & heart. What neurologist will help anyone that way ? The best part is,,, IT’S ALL FREE.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by C D — April 1, 2019 @ 5:23 PM

• I actually once sat in a doctor’s office waiting for her to come in, while one of the assistants sat at a smaller table with the computer looking like she she had depression. She looked sad an alone, leaning her head on her raised fist, telling me she was depressed and felt terrible. She then asked 3 times if I had felt just like her and could I explain. I think since most may not admit it, it was a way of retrieving information to inform the doctor. I eventually saw her upon leaving looking perfectly normal while talking to friends in the office.

Comment by Anonymous — April 1, 2019 @ 6:01 PM

• Yes, C D, depression IS depressing, no matter where you get it from. Seizures, AEDs, limitations, the list goes on and on.

But if the choice WAS ours, I doubt anyone would CHOOSE to be depressed — by anybody’s judgement or standards.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 1, 2019 @ 6:11 PM

4. Does it ever feel as though an epileptic (myself and some of you) are being judged by even our own physicians and at times even family based on that simple reason? I.e. we have epilepsy

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 2, 2019 @ 1:13 PM

• Oh YES! You bet.

And the misunderstanding (and misreading) of depressive factors is astounding.

They just don’t know what to do with you, except suggest you see a therapist. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 2, 2019 @ 1:16 PM

• I apologize the reason I say that is because “SOME PHYSICIANS” refuse to either want to team up with the patient to help them and instead hide behind the “family doctor” title meaning the patient is left to feel foolish about themselves or asking the doctor “if you know you have a patient with a certain condition on certain medications don’t you think you should know instead of just always giving the patient more medication. Only to leave the patient feel as though maybe they really are crazy? Only to question themselves more. My solution was/is to tell my husband “pack your bags we’re going on a road trip to gain a new perspective on life 😘🙏🏼🦅😇❤️😅😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 2, 2019 @ 1:25 PM

• Yes. Especially by the nurse practitioner, or the doctor who sees a patient for 10 minutes…5 – 6 patients per minute

Comment by Anonymous — April 2, 2019 @ 1:37 PM

5. Did that road trip include a new physician or neurologist? 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 2, 2019 @ 1:33 PM

• Lol 😂 as long as I stay in Canada 🇨🇦 😘. And have enough medication for so far for 1 month from one end of Canada to the other for both my husband and myself 😘🦅🙏🏼😇😘. I can’t complain about my country unless I see it all!! 💕😅

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 2, 2019 @ 1:43 PM

6. Well, it’s a BIG country.

Maybe you can find a doc along the way! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 2, 2019 @ 1:50 PM

7. This is soooo very true! I always say be kind as you never know what anyone else is going through ❤️

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Ci Ci — April 2, 2019 @ 2:19 PM

8. I was diagnosed the second time with epilepsy while going to college in Rhode Island in 1978. I was struggling with major depression having lost my license and car then everyone knowing about my seizures when I had a grandmal during an exam. I was able to overcome it while standing at the entrance to the University waiting for a ride and saw the state seal with the word HOPE in the center of it. That tiny ounce of hope has helped me overcome living with epilepsy for over 40 years.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Jon Sadler — April 2, 2019 @ 8:01 PM

9. Jon, how wonderful and what an inspiring story!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 2, 2019 @ 8:40 PM

10. Great advice Phyllis, yes I do believe that we get stronger each day. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and encouragement.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by vhealing — April 2, 2019 @ 11:18 PM

11. Im at my Breaking Point I have been depressed since I was six but now it’s taking over my life and I don’t know what to do because I can’t get any help with my insurance I wish somebody would help me

Comment by Angela paschall — April 3, 2019 @ 8:10 PM

• PLEASE see a therapist. There are clinics affiliated with your local hospital where you can be referred.

Call your hospital’s social services department or even the psychiatric unit. Say what you’re going through and ask for help.

I’m sure they won’t turn you away.

Your religious institution is another place to get guidance.

Also, there are counselors who do work with Medicaid.

Seek referrals and then go talk to them, until you feel like you have a good fit.

Don’t trade in your sanity for someone else’s benefit.

There are lots of crazy counselors and therapists out there.

Make sure you stay in your comfort zone, so you can feel truly better.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 4, 2019 @ 7:50 AM

12. I don’t think we realise we’re
    depressed we just get on with life and have no idea.There are so many things I wanna do and places I’d love to visit but not alone. I’m guilty of smiling and saying I’m good thanks, I’m on Sertraline, I’m an outgoing confident person and generally don’t feel down, just so many things missing from my life, and every day, I take my meds. Seizure free for two years and own my own home so I see myself as very lucky. Just gotta keep plodding on haven’t we? I’m a strong woman.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Elaine Howell — April 4, 2019 @ 2:05 AM

• You’re a strong woman because you KNOW yourself…where you are in your life…and what you want.

You may want to be somewhere else..with someone else…but you have the strength to continue.

And yes, you may feel like a fraud, a liar. And yes, you may not be living the life you’ve imagined.

But isn’t that a little bit true of all of us?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 4, 2019 @ 7:57 AM

13. I agree 💕😊. I just felt as though maybe we need a group of people such as ourselves with our challenges to do those crazy kind of trips together as one. Mainly because we ARE ALL STRONG and sometimes just need to be together (even as Epileptics) and take a trip ALTOGETHER (lol it may actually be nice to be with ourselves and others in our shoes 😘. Lol maybe even with medical experts they may like it as well and just make good memories to hang onto. 💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 4:03 PM

14. Sounds wonderful! I’m in!

Where do you want to go?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 4, 2019 @ 4:51 PM

• Lol honestly I wanted to go across Canada from southern Alberta 😊. I was in British Columbia so I figured why not just see the rest of the country going to New Brunswick or Niagra Falls. I’ve always want to see The Falls 😊. It would be good not only for the soul and memories, but for confidence and to be (in a sense) with “OTHER EPILEPTICS AND THEIR FAMILIES OR FRIENDS 😘”. It’s always nice not only to have, but to make good memories 😃🦅💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 5:01 PM

• There’s this sweet little Canadian town right across the border from the Falls.

It’s called Niagara on the Lake.

Lovely little B&Bs.

I haven’t been there for ages.

But it was quaint, charming and very welcoming. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 4, 2019 @ 5:42 PM

• This may sound crazy, but I have always wanted to go coast to coast 😃. I see the train go by my house (heading east&west) all the time. It’s about 1 block north of my house and always wanted to ride one since 😊. Plus the Rocky Mountains are just to the east of my house. So I told my husband “what if we catch the train going east and go to “Niagra Falls” and come back on the train through the Eastern United States of America? 😃😎🦅❤️”. He called me crazy and I admitted to it PROUDLY 😁, however I’m not exactly sure if travelling back in such a direction is so smart after all 😊. He kind of smiled and asked me “HOW ABOUT THE TERRITORIES? 🦅💕”. Maybe we can find others who would want to as well? It’s ALWAYS NICE to make GOOD MEMORIES 😊. Do you have and Ideas as to where you would like to travel to? 🦅😘😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 5:58 PM

• Yeah. I’d like to go to Africa, which is completely untenable.

But, I’d do Alaska on a cruise, any day.

Unfortunately, my husband can’t travel. So, I’d have to go without him.

And I don’t think he’d be too crazy about that.

Plus, I’d feel guilty. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 4, 2019 @ 6:03 PM

• Isn’t it AWFUL HOW we always feel Guilty as wives? I don’t believe anything is ever fully untenable, but I do understand. May I please ask where you live? I live in Fort Macleod Alberta, Canada. About 45 minutes east of the British Columbia Boarder, 1 hour north of the Montana United States Boarder and 2 hours south of Calgary, Alberta Canada 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 6:26 PM

• I think guilt as a wife depends upon who you’re married to.

I had a flaming seizure on my first date with my husband (so much for full disclosure) and we’ve been married for 39 years.

But I understand the feeling that you have to try harder. All the time.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 11:03 AM

• May I please ask why Africa? Thank you. Just curious that’s all 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 7:04 PM

• May I please ask why he can’t come? And aren’t you afraid to go on an “Alaska Cruise” after all that happened with the cruise ships? Thank you 😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 7:20 PM

• Arthur is disabled. He has flaming neuropathy from his waist to his toes, which makes sitting and standing very painful.

He sits in an ergonomic chain, which seems to do the trick.

Besides, he’s 6’4″ and few standard beds are comfortable for him.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 11:09 AM

• My husband has the same. Except his is In his leg and ankle and the blood vessels in his eye for diabetes and arthritis in his neck and shoulder. It’s almost a drowning feeling and I would just like for ya me/him to have ONE NICE MEMORABLE TRIP IN OUR LIVES THATS ALL!! 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 6:27 PM

• What city do you live in where you can see the train pass east to west on a regular basis?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Anonymous — April 4, 2019 @ 6:04 PM

• Fort Macleod, Alberta Canada

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 6:35 PM

• I apologize for my “Not Knowing what it was called I’M Sorry 😞”. I’ve just never been and always want to go there!! 💕. Those B&B’s SOUND GREAT!! 😃

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 6:09 PM

• I live in Fort Macleod, Alberta Canada 😊. How about yourself? May I please ask where you live?

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 6:33 PM

15. Outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. Interested in moving to a city with a subway or train, where the possibility exists of traveling and living without the use of a car. (Most cities with subways here in the U.S. have higher crime than normal).

Comment by Anonymous — April 4, 2019 @ 10:28 PM

• How about a bus line? Or even Uber?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 10:53 AM

• Good afternoon I guess that’s also a nice thing about living in a tiny town all you life!!!!! There’s always transportation available if needed and the city of Lethbridge, Alberta Canada is just 25 minutes east. The city of Calgary, Alberta is 1.5 hours north 😊. Lol I find with myself I know I can at least FOR SURE handle a weekend in the city without becoming overwhelmed then I know I need to come home. My husband can’t be on his feet very long because of blisters due to diabetes.

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 6:38 PM

16. May I please ask you Phylis why Africa in such turbulent times? Lol NOW MY HUSBAND THINKS I REALLY AM CRAZY?! Also why can’t there be a “NORTH AMERICA GATHERING OF EPILEPTICS?” At some safe location for all 😘. As an off note personally (maybe this is what others may not understand), but we’re our own BEST CHEERLEADERS AND SUPPORT!! We just need to know we’re not the only people with epilepsy in this world 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 4, 2019 @ 10:29 PM

• Africa? I want to see the giraffes and other wild life.

I know it’s crazy. Just a dream.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 10:54 AM

• My husband also has arthritis in his neck and shoulder along with his diabetes pretty bad!! Which is why I feel like it’s time him and I “HOPEFULLY” (if not I WILL) at least take ONE REALLY NICE MEMORABLE TRIP before I CAN’T!!!!! Again traveling isn’t easy because yes we do get depressed AND HURT as Epileptics ESPECIALLY BY THOSE CLOSEST TO US!!!!!!! MAINLY BECAUSE WE DON’T WANT TO EMBARRASS ANYONE OR BE SHUNNED AND LOOKED DOWN ON BECAUSE OF BEING AN EPILEPTIC!!!!! I AM VERY LUCKY I have friends whom I’m close to that take a chance on me and travelling with me 😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 6:21 PM

• I’m afraid, like you, that my husband is not up to the task. (Or adventure, as you and I would have it.)

Yes, it will be fun with friends. But not the same.

Whether it be those with epilepsy, or not. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 8:51 PM

• So your up for general game viewing? 😊 or a safari? 😉

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 7:03 PM

• Game viewing or photographic safari.

NO SHOOTING (except of cameras)!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 9:00 PM

• Lol I COMPLETELY AGREE!! 😃🦅😘

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 11:03 PM

17. I get depressed daily do to Siezures and needing a friend. I have had over 40 brain operations and had people call me names when i was younger and some still haven’t grown up im 53 and still getting picked on.Wish i could find 1 friend.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by rusty.hanawalt@yahoo.com — April 5, 2019 @ 2:10 AM

18. I’m having a heck of a time getting into this new whatever site “epilepsy.com” site for some reason!!

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 2:03 PM

19. I apologize I just can’t seem to respond as fast as I used to be. Meaning I’m not sure the password to what this site is under now I keep trying and I’m getting more confused by the day!!!!! I’m sorry for my lack of knowledge with computers and different apps now. That’s all. Thank you 🙏🏼😊

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 2:06 PM

20. Hope it helps!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 3:58 PM

• You know what’s funny is I sent my husband back to school to become what he (not anyone else) wanted to be when he grew up and even paid for him to go myself!! It was a Computer I.T. That way he would always be able to do what he wanted, still provide and work and be happy and content. He always tells me “the computer is only as smart as the programmer”. Now he gets upset with me when I ask him if he can please fix my phone or email because HE PROGRAMMED MY PHONE! 🙏🏼😁 and I get to nicely remind him “well hunny you have to remember the computer is only as smart as you programmed it to be 😆😘”. Lol

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 6:47 PM

• My sister-in-law was head of I.T. at a major pharmaceutical company and couldn’t even connect her printer to her computer!

So, I understand, exactly what you’re saying! It’s ironic, isn’t it?

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2019 @ 8:55 PM

• Yes it is!! Lol NOW I AM FEELING LIKE A TRUE HUMAN BEING!! Thank you 💝😁💕

Comment by Kathy S.B — April 5, 2019 @ 10:58 PM

21. Depression sneaks in through the back door and takes over a lot of times when you think you are in control. Thank you for talking about this subject https://noelliesplace.com/2019/04/16/whispering-vines/

Comment by Noellie — April 16, 2019 @ 10:49 AM

22. Noellie, feel free to come and visit.

Or you can subscribe and get current articles, by going to the bottom of the right column, entering your email address and clicking on “Follow”.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 16, 2019 @ 11:09 AM

23. Would love if you checked out what I have to say! https://ashleyjfay.home.blog/?fbclid=IwAR00hZONTIDfnmM-v_A53P0w5miSe9i4aqprDiBz5CvRCORGO5W0YwdVjOI

Comment by ashleyjfay — May 9, 2019 @ 4:40 PM