Epilepsy — Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits — Straight from the Source | March 24, 2019

If you suffer from epilepsy and wish to qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, you must be able to prove that you meet the criteria of the Social Security Administration (SSA)’s Blue Book listing for the condition.

The Blue Book is a guideline created by the SSA for disability adjudicators to follow when approving or denying disability claims.

A copy of the Blue book can be found here: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook

If you can prove through medical documentation that you meet the criteria of a listing, it will increase your chances of receiving an approval of benefits during the initial stage of the application process.

In the case of epilepsy, your condition will fall under Section 11.02 or 11.03 of the Blue Book depending on which form of epilepsy you suffer from.

Section 11.02 addresses convulsive epilepsy while Section 11.03 addresses non-convulsive epilepsy.

Section 11.02 – Convulsive Epilepsy

In order to qualify under section 11.02 of the Blue Book, you must be able to prove that you suffer from a typical seizure pattern including all of the associated phenomena.

The seizures must occur more frequently than once a month in spite of at least three months of prescribed treatment.

Section 11.03 – Nonconvulsive Epilepsy

In order to qualify under Section 11.03 of the Blue Book, you must prove that you suffer from petit mal, psychomotor or focal seizures that are documented by a typical seizure pattern.

These seizures must occur more than once per week despite three months of prescribed treatment.

You must also be able to prove that there are alterations of awareness or loss of consciousness and unconventional behavior along with significant interference of activity during the day.

SSI and SSDI

Once the SSA has deemed you disabled, you must meet other criteria in order to qualify for one of the two available disability programs.

The two available disability programs include SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance).

Under the SSDI program, you must have earned enough work credits in order to qualify for benefits.

As a general rule, you must have worked for at least half of the time you have been able to work.

For example, if you are 24 years old, you should have been able to work for six years (between the ages of 18 and 24) and must have worked three of those six years in order to qualify.

If you have been able to work more than ten years, you must have worked five of the past ten years in order to qualify for SSDI benefits.

If you do not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI benefits, you may be able to qualify for SSI benefits.

SSI is a needs-based program.

In order to qualify, your income cannot exceed $710 per month as an individual or $1,066 per month as a couple.

Your assets must also not exceed $2,000 as an individual or $3,000 as a couple.

How to Apply for Disability Benefits

To apply for disability benefits you can visit your local Social Security office or apply online at the SSA’s website (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/disability.htm).

When filling out the application paperwork, make sure you are as detailed as possible with your answers.

These answers will help the SSA determine whether or not you meet the disability requirements.

Also make sure you provide medical evidence proving the above-mentioned disability criteria.

Written statements from treating physicians will also weigh heavily on the outcome of your disability claim.

Article by Ram Meyyappan
Social Security Disability Help

For more information on applying for disability benefits with epilepsy, please visit: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/epilepsy-and-social-security-disability

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. Reblogged this on jennyme306's Blog.

Comment by jennyme306 — March 24, 2019 @ 2:08 PM

2. In all reality where it comes to getting any SSDI every month, you will never win it on your own in front of any judge. It is their way that the lawyers & judges work together to steal more money from the person trying to get SSDI, no matter if you have 1 seizure a month or 2 or 3, or 1 seizure every hour you’re living. It’s all a scam as I had to give away 25% what I had coming to me from being back pay from day 1 when I applied. They could had approved my case on day 1, but NO WAY, as I remember it was 18 months or more that I had a lawyer fight my case for me after 14 months of trying to do it alone. It took at least 6 more months for the lawyer to win my case as he was adding the numbers up for what HE WANTED after waiting almost 2 years to get approved. So if a lawyer can get close to $3000.00 or more to win, then that is the only way you will get SSDI & the judges get a part of that I am sure, as the same condition is on day 1 as on day when you are not approved, as on day 730 or more 2 years later when you do get approved.

Comment by C D — March 24, 2019 @ 3:00 PM

3. Been there; done that- I was rejected six times before I finally got my disability. I feel for anyone having problems

Comment by Karen — March 24, 2019 @ 6:02 PM

4. How did you ever make it through all that? AND win?

Sheer perseverance? And hopefully a lawyer?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 24, 2019 @ 8:14 PM

5. I applied 4 times had my neurologists backing me up.Appllied 1 year ago for medicade again doctors baking me up,I got turned down.GOT a lawyer it took a year.MY disability is getting ready to kick in along with medicade have been trying to get it since 2013.GOT a lawyer and now I’m going to get it.But I personally don’t think we should have to get a lawyer I think it’s crazy

Comment by Angela carter — March 24, 2019 @ 9:15 PM

6. It took me two years and two different lawyers to get mine back in 1996. Mine was was finally approved by the JAG( yes that was his title) without have to actually go to the judge.

Comment by Randy — March 24, 2019 @ 11:05 PM

7. One wonders, if the Doctors & hospitals consider the patient’s persistent medical condition disabling, why does the patient need a lawyer or a judge to “CERTIFY” the patients medical condition, eventhough neither the Lawyer nor the judge are medical experts?
    If there’s any suspicions for fraudulent claims, how’s for the patients medical records good enough for evidence to prove the patients medical condition, instead of Lawyers or judges who know nothing about the patient’s medical condition?
    It’s hard to imagine the Lawyer & the Judge got more power to decide on the Patient’s fate than the Doctors who’ve been & still are working hard to treat the Patients medical condition.
    Something is definitely wrong here.
    As for the patients employment history, it’s a whole different subject to ponder.
    Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — March 25, 2019 @ 7:44 AM

• Yes, it is odd that the legal systems should know more about the patient’s condition and WELFARE than the doctors.

And that they can rule on the validity of that! 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 25, 2019 @ 9:12 AM

• In some cases, I read patients die or lose their homes to pay medical bills, waiting for years for the bureaucratic sharks to approve the patients MEDICARE or/& SSDI income, after paying substantial tax to the system for decades.
        I think submissive society is to blame for letting the bureaucratic sharks run astray.
        And without radical changes to the bureaucratic nightmare, many more lives will hang in the balance, waiting for medical treatment & economic stability.
        Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — March 25, 2019 @ 10:51 AM

8. Unfortunately, you’re too right.

I’ve even read about people committing suicide from the
    stress and lack of meds.

To get your meds or to eat?

That is some people’s dilemma.

And it’s unforgivable.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 25, 2019 @ 10:56 AM

9. Luckily I had a dr who had put me in the hospital to find out that I was a severe epileptic and told me to file for SSDI. With his help and the help of a disability attorney, I won it the first go around.

Comment by dkeith48 — March 27, 2019 @ 12:44 AM

10. Four days *after marrying, I carried my marriage certificate to the Social Security Office for two reasons:
    1. Change my name.
    2. Change my address.

I THOUGHT they would have liked this information to put on my checks and send me to the correct address. The man said to me: “From this day, you will no longer be receiving any more Social Security *Disability Checks. Let your husband ‘take care of you,’ from now on. 🙂 Have a nice day.” That Was It! No More Income!
    “Job?” What job? Nobody would hire “somebody like me.” And I only have *Temporal Lobe Seizures, or “blackouts.” I get NO retirement. I seldom worked. My controlling husband didn’t care, anyway. No “help” from him. Within the past two years, I started getting retirement checks from *his retirement! Yeah!

I could go on. But as I have learned, “It’s My Problem.” The thought of trying to contact Social Security for ANYTHING, with no support from someone else? No thank you. I go through enough stress just existing.

Comment by Effie Erhardt — October 10, 2019 @ 10:57 PM

• Well, that’s a little sexist, wouldn’t you say?

Especially since you’re the one who’s disabled.

But, I guess you triumphed in the end, with your husband’s retirement checks.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 11, 2019 @ 9:23 AM

• Better than nothing. But it is used.

Comment by Effie Erhardt — October 22, 2019 @ 11:05 PM