Depression is quiet… | December 17, 2018

You would be surprised how many people in your life could be going through depression at this very moment.

People hide it like a paper bag over their heads out of fear of being judged. Made fun of. Seen as weak. Or just not taken seriously.

Anyone can fall victim to it. And then there’s the lie. “I’m fine, don’t worry.”

No one can detect it. Sometimes, even yourself.

The cheerier you are, the less they’ll suspect.

But, you can’t hide it forever.

Everybody reaches a breaking point.

But that’s OK. Don’t be ashamed.

There are people out there who understand.

There is love and support all around you.

By talking to others, you will get the help and assurance that you need to fight through it. And deserve.

You are precious. You are loved. You are not alone.

Your feelings are real, your feelings are shared with millions.

Have patience with all things. But most importantly, have patience with yourself.

See each and every day as an opportunity to grow and get stronger.

We will always be here for you.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

Resource: http://blogzuola.blogspot.ca/2014/10/depression.html?m=1

1. A timely article, thank you. The occasional bout of depression is almost inevitable. Indeed it is probably a healthy thing!! Chronic (long term) depression is something else though. In my luckily limited experience pharmaceuticals are a waste of time and money … whereas exercise, social interaction and helping others can do the trick. I personally practice mindful meditation, just a few minutes a day. and cycling (a recumbent three wheeler for safety reasons.)

However, I have read that for long term SEVERE depression pharmaceuticals can help, though finding the right class of drug can take many weeks. Having pets help too.

I would guess that the major problem is that although good treatments exist, when you are really depressed you will not want to exercise or meditate or socialize or even take your pesky pills.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Michael H — December 17, 2018 @ 1:52 PM

• You’ve got lots of good ideas.

And yes, clinical depression can be deadly. (Just ask me.)

But my manna has been therapy and I don’t think anything could have replaced it.

(Even though I DO take anti-depressants, which took years to figure out.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2018 @ 3:06 PM

2. Depression hits everyone and can be triggered by life events, seasons of the year, or a medical condition to name a few. A death in the family, autumn and the days getting shorter, a diagnosis and treatment, are some examples. For those of us dealing with epilepsy, depression can come from the seizures and the side effects of the medication. Seizures feed depression by the section of the brain affected and the fear of the next one coming. Medications are developed to slow the brain down and it is not unusual they be a trigger of depression (the neurologist need to know about this). Organizations such as yours are a wonderful way to treat the sadness of seizures and depression. When the depression last longer than three months, or reaches the stage where the person begins to wonder what life is worth living for (known as a suicidal ideation), they should turn to a mental health specialist; be it a counselor or psychologist.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Jon Sadler — December 17, 2018 @ 1:57 PM

• Well, you’ve got me figured out so well, it’s scary.

But, as you know, it’s not just me who suffers from clinical depression.

One study stated that 80% of the patients with epilepsy were also diagnosed as having a depressive disorder.

Upwards of 60% of these individuals had a history of significant episodes of depression.

And 10-32% experience symptoms of anxiety.

Not too reassuring, is it?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2018 @ 3:10 PM

• I have had O C D depression anxiety all my life have been on antidepressants a good part of my life …ended up with two grand mal seizures at the age of 55…are any of these “experts” looking at side effects of long term use of these drugs…I feel like these drugs caused these seizures… I also have worked around chemicals all my life…could be either one…also had a concussion as an infant…so now that I’m expressing all this it’s no wonder…just wish I could get some answers…feeling very frustrated…hate the side effects of the meds and quit taking antidepressants…and to top it all off my insurance coverage sucks and can’t find knowledgeable Doctors…SAD

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Jody Zimmer — December 18, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

• I think over the long haul, almost any med can be counter productive.

That means side-effects, too.

As for a concussion as an infant, I think that’s a long stretch, unless you had febrile seizures.

Have You Had A Concussion?

Head Injury and Seizures

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 18, 2018 @ 9:50 AM

3. This is why you believe in a higher authority & counselor. When I tried PAXIL back in 2001 after my brain surgery, I was thrilled like you would not believe. After a week I still was at peace & knew all going to be okay with no seizures ever to happen again, as that’s why I had my surgery. After 3 months it happened again with a GRAND MAL but that was different because I remembered it all for the 1st time ever. Since then though, it’s been like no surgery had been done for the past 17 years. At times you wonder why you look up for answers, when nothing ever changes, as when you look eye to eye at neurologists, who never gives you the answers you want to begin with. It’s like the U2 song,, ”Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, but You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Rolling Stones. It’s like Here I Go Again,,Whitesnake,, as I try to live & Don’t Look Back,,, Boston. So I Dream On ”Areosmith” & keep looking up I guess. All those tunes & there’s more that are better than any ADD to take. You’ll know what music can do to the brain IF it is good music it hears which those classic tunes are.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by CD — December 17, 2018 @ 3:01 PM

• Wow. Those titles hit it right on the head, don’t they?

Not surprisingly, music has also been found to have a profoundly positive effect on people with epilepsy.

In fact, one research study even found that when patients are treated with music therapy as well as conventional anti-seizure meds, as many as eighty percent of seizures were reduced by seventy-five percent!

So CD, play on! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

• Yes. The Neurologists try to talk people into the VNS, but have no guarantee whatsoever that you will be seizure free- if not worse than you already are. They don’t have to worry about it- the final results are with you- not them.

Music? Definitely! When I get depressed, it’s the most wonderful time to just ‘tickle the keyboard’- play a Rhapsody and ‘pound out your frustration’!!!

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Karen — December 17, 2018 @ 4:14 PM

4. I agree with all of you regarding music being great “company” while I doing stuff. Quick story on me: Serious car accident while on roller skates 1979, 5 day coma, ICU at UCLA 3 wks and 2 month rehab, left side temp paralyzed, subdural hematoma operation, multiple operations and had to learn how to walk and talk again (successful!), epilepsy as a result, about 20 yrs ago 4 1/2 hr seizure that could not be stopped (while on vacation where no hospital available for treatment) and had to be flown in helicopter. Had an outer body experience while being flown. Heard drs tell pilots I had died (cuz wires showed no body activity while I was out of it). I got so mad that “I floated back into my body”. At the hospital they induced a 5 day coma. But I recovered! About 2 yrs ago I overcame stage 3b breast cancer…lumpectomy. Misc etc but I never give up…and neither does my husband or 2 daughters!! Please keep your tone level and confidence high. There is always the future!! Best wishes for all…Alicia

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Alicia — December 18, 2018 @ 4:09 PM

• You are one brave lady. And what a survivor!

Obviously, it wasn’t time for you to go “there” or anywhere else. But rather stay here and teach us the lesson of courage — in the face of all odds.

I’m honored to meet you Alicia and hope you’ll come back to visit.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 18, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

5. Yes I had stupid people surround me when I was a child.some times I had ouras. Mild epileptic attacks. When I said I think I am going to take a turn,my family would say. Don’t put on an act. Just pretending. I always thought when is the next one.family would follow me and annoy me about the next attack.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Rodney minnis — December 19, 2018 @ 3:58 AM

6. The fear and anticipation is probably your worst enemy.

And a family that goads you without support doesn’t help.

I think we all feel alone at sometimes, any times, all the times.

That’s why we’re here.

To support each other without judgement.

To care when others don’t.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 19, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

7. This is so true. Am originally from Sierra Leone West Africa and we can’t even talk about depression as people may think you are loosing your mind and will be isolated. There are similar cultures that don’t talk about depression for fear of the stigma attached to it. Thank you for allowing us to talk about it and know there is no shame in been depressed. Thank you.

Comment by juniorsplaceofhope — December 20, 2018 @ 5:29 PM

• Some people (even in the US culture) treat depression like you’re mentally ill.

It’s like oppression against depression. It’s crazy. (No pun intended.)

So, you sit with your depression festering until it gets worse and worse. Heaven forbid you should see a therapist.

That’s proof that you’re really “sick”! 😦