What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? | November 4, 2018

All of us have dreams. Some become reality…and some stay in our imaginations.

For me, writing was my “dream”.  And it became a reality when I discovered a way I could write without starving. 🙂

Not with photography. Although I was enthusiastic about it (and pretty good…I even taught 5th graders, which was a blast), I knew I’d never be a Brassai or Ansel Adams.

Third, there was the dream of becoming a ballerina. No competition for Margot Fonteyn, because when I twirled and swirled, the result was not pretty…passed out on the floor. (I had epilepsy, but that didn’t diminish my dream.)

How about you? What have you dreamed — or achieved — beyond your wildest dreams?

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk, simply go to the bottom of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

1. I have a doctorate and am retired from a career as a professor (my greatest intellectual achievement).
    I made it to the top of Mt. Kilimangaro (my greatest physical challenge).

Comment by paleobird — November 4, 2018 @ 1:23 PM

• Wow Paleo. And this was about what you would do…

Obviously, you’ve done it “all”.

You are a marvel!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 4, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

2. Hi Phyllis, Do you know what others are doing about the Phenytek shortage? It is on back order until January. Thank you for any help, Tami

Sent from my iPhone

Comment by tamicooke515@gmail.com — November 4, 2018 @ 1:46 PM

3. My dream was to become a ballerina on the big stage. My sister called me “Pavlova” when I was young, but it never came true.

Comment by kathy harris — November 5, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

4. Thank you for becoming a writer!!!

In my case, as someone said earlier, I have this dream of getting my PhD degree,

but the dream of my life is to have my very own sustainable home, no matter where, even in the city. I mean, being capable of take advantage of the sun to stop using money to survive, and may my house become a role model.

That, and a wife.

Finally, go to die to Mt Everest when I get enough resources to do so.

Comment by César Ocampo-Ramírez — November 5, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

• I guess writing is just in my blood.

Having your own sustainable home is inspiring.

As for dying on Mt. Everest, I don’t know.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 5, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

5. i wanted to be a billiards player always did like the game

Comment by Robert S Nichols — November 5, 2018 @ 3:49 PM

6. I did well as a project manager/engineer and the Korean War Veterans Memorial on the Mall in Washington, DC was one of my projects. I struggled with seizures throughout my career and ten years later had a lobectomy that effected the engineering part of my brain. Recovery was driven by people I met living with seizures, so I did what seemed impossible at the time, I obtained a MS in counseling. I kept being told to inspire hope by sharing my story and write a book. “Sailing through the Storms of Seizures: Living with Epilepsy, Recovering from Brain Surgery, and Being a Caregiver” was published in June this year and is available online. It provides information about seizures and overcoming the fears and stigma.

Comment by Jon Sadler — November 5, 2018 @ 5:36 PM

• What an achievement!

How do I access the book?

BTW, do you know Terry Jones?

He’s a sculptor who worked on the Korean War Veterans Memorial and an old friend of ours.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 5, 2018 @ 6:53 PM

7. Growing up watching my father transmitting, receiving & deciphering Morris Code data on high frequency communication radios, I was always fascinated by the communication technology transmitting information to reach specifically intended targets across nations, oceans & continents around the globe, inspiring me to pursue for Engineering degree in communication technology & end up working in communication industry, engineering Wireless Network Products for three decades, turning the childhood dream into reality.
    The childhood curiosity becoming a dream & lifetime professional career has been the most exciting exodus in the pursuit of achievements.
    Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — November 6, 2018 @ 2:49 PM

• Wow! You had a dream, did it AND excelled at it!

Hats off to you, Gerrie.

YOU ROCK!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 6, 2018 @ 3:58 PM

• Thanks Phylis, It’s gratifying & pleasing to know that the curiosity of a child taking shape in the mindset of a growing up man/woman can turn into the pursuit of a lifetime dream for a man/woman to cherish & treasure, beating down the adversities & overcoming the odds on the way.
        It’s good to know that dreams can turn into achievements, cherishing to pursue for a lifetime.
        Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — November 6, 2018 @ 10:46 PM

• And it’s only someone with the strength, fortitude, perseverance, and positivity like you that can make it happen.

As you can tell, I’m a BIG fan! 🙂