Déjà Vu or Prescience? | August 1, 2018

Think of it as knowing something from the past…or feeling a premonition of the future.

Those who have experienced the déjà vu feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity, with something that shouldn’t be familiar at all.

Those who experience prescience, feel they have the ability to see into the future in some way.

Déjà vu – Every day is groundhog day!

The term “déjà vu” means, literally, “already seen”.

Déjà vu has been firmly associated with temporal lobe epilepsy.

Reportedly, déjà vu can occur just prior to a temporal lobe seizure as an aura.

But you can experience déjà vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between seizures.

Take the neurological circuitry of the hippocampus, a region of the brain where new memories are formed.

Neuroscientists know memories are actually groups of brain cells linked by especially strong chemical connections; recalling a memory involves finding and activating a specific group.

It’s also this circuit, the scientists are convinced, that explains déjà vu.

Every so often, the circuit misfires, and a new experience that’s merely similar to an older one, seems identical.

It doesn’t happen very often to most people. But, some people with epilepsy have this experience all the time.

Why?

Because seizures involve random firing of neurons in the temporal lobes, which include the hippocampus, and that could scramble the circuit.

In a person with chronic déjà vu this circuit is either overactive or permanently switched on, creating memories where none exist.

When novel events are processed, they are accompanied by a strong feeling of remembering.

So, you remember specific details about something that never actually occurred.

Prescience – Crystal ball, crystal ball…

Well, let’s see…

We’ve been described as mutants, aliens, crazies.

But in fact, only one study to date has been done on prescience.

And that study concludes that prescience is an aura of temporal lobe epilepsy.

The study is written up in PubMed and basically says: all of the patients tested had similar experiences.

They described the phenomenon as “knowing” what was going to happen in the immediate future.

The experience was distinct from déjà vu and other psychic experiences.

And all of the patients “probably” had temporal lobe epilepsy.

Only one other description of prescience as an ictal feature was found.

The conclusion was: Prescience can occur as an ictal feature of temporal lobe epilepsy and represents a previously under-reported psychic phenomenon.

Obviously, there a bit more studying to be done.

But speaking from personal experience, prescience is downright scary.

In one way, it’s a gift.

I warned a friend not to go on a skiing trip.

Happily, he didn’t.

But there was a serious car accident and the passenger seat of the car (where he would have been sitting) got totaled.

That’s the good news.

Other times, it’s a curse.

I’ve had the prescience to foresee events (usually unhappy), but I was helpless to do anything.

Because even though I “knew” they were going to happen, I didn’t know when.

So, given the choice, I’d take déjà vu over prescience any day.

What about you?

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and receive notifications of new posts by email, simply go to the bottom of the right column and click on where it says “Follow”

1. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and have experienced both deja vu and Jamais vu (never seen)

When things that should be familiar to me, are unfamiliar, such as my own front door, or a particular tree I see on a regular walk.

This also nearly always happens when I pass from bright sunlight into a shadow, even though my seizures are not usually light sensitive.

Both deja vu and jamais vu are a good indication to me that a seizure may be due, so for that alone I’m thankful for the warning.

Comment by Shelly — August 1, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

2. Phylis, I have had this happen many times. I have left temporal lobe epilepsy. The scariest was when a dear elderly friend told me that she didn’t want to go visit her friends in Lebanon. I told her I didn’t think she should go, because I knew something bad would happen. She said her husband said it would be the last time she would see her family there, so she went. She died there! There were issues getting the body back to the U.S. It was just horrible! By the time she was able to get back, the funeral was during one of those minus-zero degree days. It was insane! They weren’t going to let the body come back because her passport had expired!

Comment by megambon2164 — August 1, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

• OMG! How terrible.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

• How’s a dead woman expected to renew her expired passport?
      Don’t these bureaucrats have any brain at all?
      The whole grief & ordeal must had been too painful for the family to bear.

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — August 2, 2018 @ 6:17 AM

3. I have temporal seizures on both sides.I don’t have prescience but I have to not talk about my past are look at pictures of me as a child because my father sexual abused me as a child from age 5 till age 14.And when I have to deal with things that really very tragic my brain can not handle it so i will have bad seizures plus I have seizures clusters

Comment by Angela carter — August 1, 2018 @ 9:46 AM

• It sounds like you suffer from PTSD from your childhood abuse.

All types of abuse — sexual, physical, and emotional (including verbal abuse and witnessing domestic violence) raise the risk of depression, anxiety and epilepsy-like symptoms.

Basically, abuse releases a cascade of stress hormones which produces a lasting effect on brain signals.

Experiments at McLean Hospital, for example, show that patients with a history of abuse are twice as likely to show abnormal electrical activity as non-abused people.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

4. My situation is almost the opposite of this. Is there any significant documentation about the connection of left temporal lobe epilepsy with autobiographical memory loss? My short term memory is fine and I can recall memories for about six months but I am unable to retrieve almost no longer term memories. How can I find out more about this?

Comment by Jo Hogg — August 1, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

• Sometimes longer term memories from the period prior to the seizure are lost, since these memories may have not been fully integrated into your brain’s memory system.

Or, if your past was traumatic, you might be suffering from PTSD as a result.

There are a variety of conditions that can cause either sporadic or degrading memory capabilities.

Stress, anxiety, and depression can all be significant factors.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

5. A masterpiece! For years, trying to explain this sort
    of thing to a Dr. Dr? When they cannot understand what they are working with, how can they be a Dr.?

Printed a copy and will take it to the Dr. when I go.
    Thank you!

Comment by Karen — August 1, 2018 @ 9:02 PM

• Well, many don’t believe in deja vu or prescience.

My parents thought I was crazy. (Just one of many epilepsy related reasons.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2018 @ 10:48 PM

6. About memory; yes. Seems as though mine is almost opposite of the case you were explaining about the long term memory being forgotten. Someone will tell me something, and often within 5 minutes I will have forgotten. Maddening.

Short term loss is terrible. I find myself having to lay notes all over. Helps some, (provided I remember to write myself a note……………..)

Comment by Karen — August 1, 2018 @ 9:17 PM

7. thanks for writing about this! I’m in my first year of epilepsy and, sometimes, its a struggle to find the words to explain to other people what happens to me…the closest I have come to that is deja vu…but I knew it was never really that. Prescience is much closer. I know something is happening, and because of experience I know what is happening…but it doesnt feel like I’m repeating something (like deja vu implies). Anyways, thanks for the relevant note 🙂

Comment by Chris — August 2, 2018 @ 11:39 PM

8. Thank you, Phyllis for taking the time to find out all the information that you do. I, and I’m sure many thousands of people, really appreciate it. Kathy

Comment by Kathleen Beebe-zittel — August 4, 2018 @ 1:24 PM

9. I’ve had these feelings for most of my life.

Comment by GhostWriter — August 7, 2018 @ 4:18 PM

• Sometimes it’s scary and sometimes it’s like a revelation.

At least for me.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2018 @ 5:29 PM

• Same here. I have not been diagnosed with Epilepsy but I feel I have more than enough evidence throughout the years to admit that it’s likely. Before knowing or realizing this such feelings made me feel very deluded almost and I thought I was psychic or something. You will never know how eye opening and helpful your blog has been to me….

Comment by GhostWriter — August 7, 2018 @ 5:32 PM

• Thanks. I just think it is just a matter of trying to put into words what people are feeling and want to know.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2018 @ 5:41 PM

• I’ve been trying to do that for years, trying to put what I’ve felt into words and it is not easy. Sometimes I think it’s impossible.

Comment by GhostWriter — August 7, 2018 @ 5:51 PM

10. I have had both. Wondered if they were seizures returning or something else. The prescience was freaky. My friend told me she was going to Lebanon but had a feeling she did not want to go then.I told her not to go because I knew something bad was going to happen. She told me she loved me. She died there. It was really horrible. There was a battle getting the body back for the funeral. The deja vu happens occasionally. I feel like I have gone through the same exact thing before, and a wave goes over me but it is nothing like the normal seizure pattern, and I am totally conscious. I just get warm. Freaky!

Comment by megambon2164 — December 17, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

11. I had a dream that my boyfriend and his friend were going to have an accident while on an impending ski trip. I begged him not to go. Turns out they had a horrible car accident. Marshall was seriously injured, but his passenger remained unscathed. VERY SCARY.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2018 @ 9:55 AM

12. I recently began experiencing jamais vu seizures, most notably in a nearby Costco. I had shopped there for years but one day last February the store felt somehow different. I knew I was shopping at Costco but it did not seem the same. It was similar and dissimilar at the same time. Everything seemed unclear and I felt like I was in a dream-like state. The store seemed like all the shelves had been rearranged, and the front of the store seemed like the back of the store. Oddly enough, I really did not know who I was but my wife was familiar.

Comment by Brian — April 12, 2019 @ 10:29 AM

• That’s pretty scary.

Especially the fact that you didn’t recognize yourself.

But happily, your wife was there to guide you.

Nonetheless… 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 12, 2019 @ 11:41 AM

13. I have had many prescience experiences. One major in a dream where I was being told I was being taken advantage of by family. Very vivid dream. Ended up living the Dream the next day by telling my sister about it, realizing at that moment we were sitting in the same places in s room that we were in in my dream. Ends up it was that sister who was stealing from me. I had no idea. Very scary. I think epileptics might feel psychic or just plain weird. I agree more research should be done. My opinion is that the brain is a mass of memory and information. The seizure activity, I believe l, opens doors or passages not otherwise apparent while conscious.

Comment by Barbara Monroe — April 12, 2019 @ 11:18 AM

• I agree with you.

While we may recognize these “strange” passages, others who do not experience them are completely baffled.

When my seizures were most active, I had prescience galore.

Then when they became controlled, no more.

I think that in itself says a lot.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 12, 2019 @ 11:44 AM

14. Just as I am typing this, I am hearing the R&R tune MORE THAN A FEELING from BOSTON. This all can’t be a coincidence now, as I know listening to good positive & upbeat music helps the brain & the person feel better as does the woman who does the TUNING FORKS VIBRATIONS on me when I have the extra to spend on it. I will now that bowling is going to start soon, have the money for the tuning forks done on me at least 1 or 2 times a month. they are to heal medical conditions of the entire body & help prevent more damages to what is already there, and all I can say about how you feel when one 30 to 60 minute session is over, It’s MORE THAN A FEELING that you will never know how you feel until you get one for yourself. There is also a book called VIBRATIONS by Owen Othrell where he claims that we are all created from the earth, and as man has ruined the earth ans all that is in it, since God made it, we are the result of what we do to our bodies from what we do to the earth & the water, foods & alike all to the drugs we take that ruins our total electro magnetic field that we all have from head to toe. I know this will work for ANYONE. Look how your BED right now is laying in your room. If it is not in a NORTH to SOUTH position from head to feet & it is an a EAST TO WEST position, then you need to move the bed in a different spot, so that the head & foot of your bed is N to S or S to N in your room. ALSO make sure the room when you sleep is in at least 98% to 100% dark. I know I slept better when I was OFF all AED’s I did sleep better having at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep. NOW back on the drugs I get less than 7 over 95% of the nights I sleep, as at least 1/3rd of the nights i try to sleep, I may get just 6 hrs or less, and I am only taking 100 mgs of LAMICTAL XR & 200mgs of VIMPAT which both are BRAND NAMES and the generic names ARE WORSE for getting good sleep every night. BUT,, when those days I get the TUNING FORKS done for me, I will sleep & hours or more that night & that’s a reality you get just as you get the BAD results from drugs, foods & drinks that are making the brain unstable 24/7, 365 days a year. Never forget this, that reading the BIBLE will help anyone get better sleep & even less stress, seizures & alike. Psalm 32:8 & remembering that seems to help me whenever I have things on my brain / mind to where I just say to it all, YOU handle it God.

Comment by CD — July 28, 2019 @ 6:54 PM

• Tuning forks and vibrations. Brilliant. (It also reminds me of the song “Good Vibrations” from the Beach Boys.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 28, 2019 @ 7:03 PM

15. Yeah I do get that DE JE VU as I did right before I opened this article right at meal time. I knew it was the start of some seizure feeling, so out came my LOBELIA. I did not waste 1 second to use it, & after 15 to 30 seconds all feelings were gone. The feelings were unsettledness in my stomach area, like i feel when it progresses to more forceful feelings, but I & my Lobelia And God did it stop it.

Comment by C D — July 28, 2019 @ 6:59 PM

16. Lobelia for stomach and seizures? Or just seizures?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 28, 2019 @ 7:05 PM