How Music Soothes Your Seizures… | July 4, 2018

Music is food for the soul, the mind and the body.

Great music, when carefully selected, can change our moods, energize us, calm us, improve our mental focus, lift us up spiritually, and help us become more healthy.

Not surprisingly, music has also been found to have a profoundly positive effect on people with epilepsy.

In fact, one research study even found that when patients are treated with music therapy as well as conventional anti-seizure meds, as many as eighty percent of seizures were reduced by seventy-five percent!

It may be because the brain doesn’t have any single center for processing music.

Instead, the areas of the brain that process music are widely scattered.

So, when the brain is subjected to music that is highly structured, such as Mozart’s Sonata for Two Piano’s, the brain process is actually aided.

In fact, research has suggested that Mozart’s K448 piano concerto can actually reduce the number of seizures!

And amazingly enough, music played at a moderate or moderately fast tempo, without too many abrupt changes in dynamics (loud and soft) can aid in normalizing EEGs.

That’s because it helps us to relax and ease tension, equalizing the brain waves. (Look for Concertos, Sonatas and Symphonies.)

Music can also change behavior.

The right kind can turn depression into joy, anger to calmness, hate to love, and fear to courage.

Beautiful music has an effect on all people and it can soothe and take away feelings of frustration and anger.

What Kind of Music?

What ultimately works in choosing music for healing is to select what you like and what helps achieve the mood or balance that you want.

Relaxing music such as Mozart, Baroque and Classical music, can help to steady your conscious awareness and increase your mental organization.

Music such as New Age, Romantic, Jazz and even “chill-out” music can stimulate Alpha and Theta brain wave states, leading to reduction of mental imbalance and stress.

When you want to relax or slow down your pace, start with music at a moderate or faster tempo to match your metabolism, and then gradually switch to slower and slower music.

When you want to wake up or have more energy, start with slow, quiet music and then gradually switch over to louder pieces with a faster tempo.

For best results, do not listen to music for more than three hours at one time.

If you find that you’ve had music playing for more than three hours, turn it off and take a break.

The brain responds to variety and too much of any one stimulus produces a kind of fatigue and even irritation.

Ultimately, you are unique.

Experiment with different types of music, and be aware of the effects each style of music has upon your mental, emotional and physical well-being.

Listen to yourself. You are the ultimate guide and healer.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. So true! I’ve been a music fan ever since I was just a toddler. Started playing piano At age 7, and now I’m 65 and still enjoy it. I found what works just great— When I’m stressed and ‘mad’- pound out for even just 10 minutes. I don’t Know if the doing over 3 hours hurts; when I play in a jam, we can go from 10 am until suppertime!

Karen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Comment by Karen Frandsen — July 4, 2018 @ 11:58 AM

2. Well you certainly sound both talented and dedicated.

And if time doesn’t matter, play on!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 4, 2018 @ 12:11 PM

3. There is a neurologist who is also a musician (interesting combo) and he has done a whole series of CDs specifically designed for your brain. They resonate in tune with your natural alpha or theta waves. Some are more for concentration during the day and some are more for evening relaxation. I find them to be very helpful.
    His name is Dr. Jeffrey Thompson and you can find his CDs on Amazon.

Comment by paleobird — July 4, 2018 @ 1:26 PM

• How fascinating!

I know a neurologist who plays the trombone and has his own jazz band.

Who would have thought? Especially him! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 4, 2018 @ 3:05 PM

4. Hi Phylis. I totally agree. Since I have drastically reduced my TV watching and have switched to listening to my favorite music, I haven’t had a seizure. I write my articles to music, and I find that I perform better when I “write to the rhythm.” I get myself into “the zone,” and it’s easier for me to find the right words. I found that, even as a child, I had to have some sort of background noise, whether it was the television, news or the radio, to perform better. I could not stand complete silence, unless I was in school and “under the gun” for a test. I vary the types of music depending on when I need to relax, write something important or on deadline, or be more creative. Music is the food of the soul, or as one of my dear friends says in one of his songs, “The finest drug is made of music.” I believe him 100 percent.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by megambon2164 — July 4, 2018 @ 6:29 PM

• I love it. “The finest drug is made of music”.

And I’m just the opposite. If music is food for the soul…I’m sunk.

I can only write in total silence.

Which is a challenge, because my husband and I have both worked from home for 30 years!

(And yes, we haven’t killed each other yet. The secret is headphones.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 4, 2018 @ 9:38 PM

• Oh Phylis! I love it! Thank God I live alone! And I like a writer right now. God help us! Headphones are the best!

Comment by megambon2164 — July 5, 2018 @ 8:04 AM

• We’d probably make lousy roommates. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 5, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

5. I started playing my guitar when I was 10 playing my guitar in church every Sunday morning with friends.

Comment by rusty.hanawalt@yeah — July 4, 2018 @ 11:14 PM

6. I learned having a dog reduces my Siezure.

Comment by rusty.hanawalt@yahoo.com — July 4, 2018 @ 11:16 PM

• Oh, it’s a proven fact.

The empathy, love, compassion and understanding of an animal (some people have cats) is very comforting.

Plus, they’re very intuitive.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 5, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

• In the condominium that I’ve been in for many years, they don’t allow dogs. I live alone, too. I’ve lived here for 20 years. I couldn’t stand my first 4 months here. I also was having many more seizures then, than before that, when I had a dog. after that 4 months, I asked if I could get a cat. ever since then, I’ve had a cat. She relaxes me so often. Also, I listen to classic R & R music, from the 1960s, usually, also I like to listen to jazz. When I’m not near music, I’m usually humming.

Comment by whittemore1958 — July 8, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

• Good news and good news.

Cats can be very intuitive (as I’ve learned from my own cat). And the purring, in itself, can be very soothing. Sort of its own melody.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 8, 2018 @ 3:37 PM

• I love your comment about cats. My cat that I had for 17 years could detect my seizures. he would bump into my hear a certain way to alert me. Then bang into me a certain way to get me out. Then snuggle to comfort me and purr like crazy. God I miss him. Great memories.

Comment by megambon2164 — July 9, 2018 @ 1:35 AM

• Sweet sorrow. Can you get another one in your building or not?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 9, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

7. Music is a must for me every day. From waking up to soothing meditative sounds, even wind chimes with sounds of nature. It’s so freeing

Comment by kathy harris — July 5, 2018 @ 1:13 PM

• Oh, wind chimes and the sound of nature.

I can’t think of anything more relaxing.

Except maybe a hammock to go with them. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 5, 2018 @ 1:54 PM

8. Phylis Feiner Johnson, one artist I really enjoy is David Garret! Have you ever listened to his music at all?

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 6, 2018 @ 7:13 PM

9. Great stuff. Any favorites?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 6, 2018 @ 10:54 PM

10. Phylis Feiner Johnson, I love his music period. Can’t list any specific favorites!

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 7, 2018 @ 9:10 AM

11. Phylis Feiner Johnson, in my July 6 comment, I put one t in Garret when I meant to put 2! Can you add a second t for me please? Then can you delete this comment?

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 7, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

12. Yes, Jeffrey.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 7, 2018 @ 2:09 PM

13. Phylis Feiner Johnson, just so there is no misunderstanding, I had intended to put 2 t letters. The mistake was with just the one.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 7, 2018 @ 3:19 PM

14. Phylis Feiner Johnson, this is very true.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 8, 2018 @ 5:02 PM