Laugh a little — it’s good for your health! | June 27, 2018

They say that “laughter is the best medicine.”

Well, believe it or not, it could help your EEG results!

For example, scientists traced the brainwave activity of people responding to funny material.

They were hooked up to an (EEG) and their brain activity was measured when they laughed.

In each case, the brain produces a regular electrical pattern. Less than a half-second after exposure to something funny, an electrical wave moves through the cerebral cortex.

If the wave takes a negative charge, laughter results. If it maintains a positive charge, no response is given at all.

Next, the left hemisphere analyzes the words and structures of the joke.

The right hemisphere “gets” the joke. The visual sensory area of the occipital lobe creates images.

The limbic (emotional) system makes you happier and the motor sections make you smile or laugh.

Also, laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.

It also dissolves negative emotions. You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.

So how about a laugh or two? Tell us your favorite funny movie, or a good joke!

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk, simply go to the column on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”

1. Here is a good clean joke
    How many ears does Spock have?
    “A right ear, a left ear and a final frontier. (Ear)”

Comment by Tami — June 27, 2018 @ 5:36 PM

2. Phylis Feiner Johnson, one thing that makes me laugh when I think about it is this: When Borders book store still existed, I was enjoying a frozen coffee drink with mini marshmallows. One got stuck in the straw and when I blew it out, the force sent the drink through the small hole that was built into the top of the lid. At first, my eyes were blinking in confusion and then I said, “Oh, damn.” On reflection, I wish we had a video camera so that could be watched again and again.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 6, 2018 @ 11:27 AM

3. I still laugh about that, even to this day!

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 6, 2018 @ 7:08 PM

4. Phylis Feiner Johnson, another thing I laugh about is a situation where my family and I were at a restaurant, I think we were eating lunch, where I accidentally flooded the bathroom. As I watched, I thought to myself after the initial shock, “Just calm down. Act rationally, as if nothing happened.” I then walked out and sat down at the table with my parents. They asked me if I was all right. I said, “Yes, I’m fine.” Then I said, in reference to the fact that I flooded the bathroom, “It’s flowing like a river.”

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 24, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

5. I think I deadpan answered their question.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 24, 2018 @ 3:07 PM

• LOL!!! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 24, 2018 @ 5:28 PM

• Phylis Feiner Johnson, I think it was a single stall bathroom. Had there been more than one, I would hope that I was the only one in there.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 25, 2018 @ 4:45 PM

• 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 25, 2018 @ 5:48 PM

• Phylis Feiner Johnson, what do you recall as being one of the funniest things that has happened to you?

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 25, 2018 @ 8:28 PM

• My first date with my husband. Trying to impress him and having a flaming seizure while he — blissfully unaware — was making pina coladas!

It was like a scene from a bad comedy…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 25, 2018 @ 10:37 PM

6. Phylis Feiner Johnson, those 2 events make me laugh, even to this day.

Comment by Jeffrey Liakos — July 25, 2018 @ 8:39 AM