What Is Your Inspiration? | June 23, 2018

“I want people with epilepsy to know that there are ways in which they can play a role in their own recovery.

It’s all in how they approach what is happening and how they can use that as a catalyst for their own growth.

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned, it’s that people are willing to embrace you if you share your story.”  —  Danny Glover

1. The Bible is my main source for inspiration so that when I think of throwing in the towel, I look up for the guidance I am looking for, because there are ”very few people / friends who know what you are going through daily”. There are 3 OT verses in the Psalms, that really connects for any of us who are living with seizures. Psalm 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way thou shall go. I will guide thee with my eye. Psalm 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statues. And now the center verse of the Bible Psalm 118:8,,, It is better to trust in the Lord, than to have confidence in man. I do not understand how people with ANY sickness or condition, can live with with content & peace of mind, with out looking up past the clouds & sun. Remember ALL is vanity under the sun. <Words of SOLOMON

Comment by CD — June 23, 2018 @ 8:25 PM

2. The continued study, by both scientists and practitioners, is an inspiration. New ideas, new applications for new science advances. It makes me more comfortable, hopeful; and I want to be part of that.

Comment by Kate Jacques — June 23, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

3. My inspiration to overcome has always been what waits for me after each hurdle. Life has always been my inspiration to get up and keep going- my hope for the future,

Comment by Michael Bowles — June 23, 2018 @ 9:34 PM

4. My inspiring heroes are all of you, sharing your experience in this very informative, educational & rewarding website, coping with same struggle I’m going through everyday to survive my seizures.
    I learned a whole lot from all of you more than I’ve ever learned from the Neurologists, hospitals & medical establishments I hoped & tried very hard to learn from.
    Obviously, I learned to understand more about Epilepsy from the very people who live in my shoes than from anyone outside my medical ordeals.
    Thanks to all of you, I’ve made it this far.
    Keep up your inspiring drive to encourage many more Epilepsy patients to treasure your experience & keep coping with all the hardships of Epileptic seizures.
    Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — June 24, 2018 @ 1:42 AM

• And Gerrie, you already know by now, YOU are my inspiration.

YOU are a survivor.

A courageous human being who’s optimistic, persistent, and who shows grace under fire, even in the most adverse situations.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 24, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

• Phyllis,
        Thanks to your tireless hard work & selfless services providing us with this forum, it has been rewarding experience to join this website & learn how to fight & survive Epilepsy.
        Thank you for inspiring all of us, to share our experience & learn from each-other on how to cope & survive the struggle against Epilepsy.
        YOU’RE THE HEROINES, PHYLLIS!
        Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — June 25, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

• You folks are the reason I get up in the morning.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 25, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

5. BahreNegash Eritrea – I’m jsut post seizure right now so concentration is very difficult but I wanted to take part in this Blog and say I echo everything you say above. Sorry, not managing any more – typing is very complicated for me after seizures.

Comment by Margaret Hay — June 24, 2018 @ 4:06 AM

• Margaret,
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts & your experience, overcoming the difficulty of another seizure.
      Right now, I’m going through the same unfortunate predicament just like you, trying very hard to get it together, after another grandmal seizure a day ago.
      But coming across Phylis another interesting article, when I desperately needed to figure out what’s going on, I feel like I just woke up from eternal confusion & immediately realised what’s happening to me.
      Imagine how grateful I’m to realize that I made it through another seizure with all the tongue bite, muscle pain & slowly recovering from total confusion & disorientation?
      I couldn’t possibly imagine of another heroes more than the members of these forum, the family I’ve come to love & appreciate.
      Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — June 24, 2018 @ 6:55 AM

• Margaret, Any comment is an Inspiration to us all. Yours shows that you have the Inner Strength, and the Determination to shove the effects of your case of Epilepsy aside, so you can move forward. An Inspiration we all need, every day. My seizures have made it hard for me to type, also. In fact, the only really good part of my right hand, is my right index finger. That, along with the side effects of my medications, make it so I just type one letter at a time. But I know I can do it, so I just keep moving forward. Keep Moving Forward, Margaret.

Comment by David Jensen — June 24, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

6. Source of inspiration is books, magazines, newspapers and other journals published periodically.The information gathered i very helpful to remain updated on current issues.Sometimes speeches by scholars on religious issues, the articles published by the authors would be helpful.
    Religion is a part of life we know them by mutual discussion in the family. Quran is available at home, but to be read with discipline by performing ablutions, and keeping our mind and body clean. This helped me to know the other side of the world.

Comment by Syed yusuf — June 24, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

• Knowing all sides of the world is important, I agree.

And it’s laudable that you’re so pro-active about keeping up-to-date and so well read.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 24, 2018 @ 10:32 AM

7. I think you could say that my inspiration is knowing that I’m not alone, when it comes to dealing with Epilepsy. I’m part of 2 Support Groups on Facebook. I either try and help people who have cases that are similar to mine, or just get inspiration by reading their stories, when I’ve had hard times, like last night. It was almost like I phased in and out of seizures, for almost 5 hours and have to wait a wrist brace right now. But one phrase that I keep in mind is “For there to be a problem, there has to be a solution.”

Comment by David Jensen — June 24, 2018 @ 11:48 AM

8. Phylis-

Awesome. I was just talking to a friend last night. A friend of hers is also living the consequences. SHe
    said they have been praing, and she would pray for me also. Guess he was taking Dilantin and it only made
    things worse.

Karen

Comment by Karen — June 24, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

• Dilantin was a disaster for me. Hopefully he/she can change his/her meds to something more acceptable.

And, as you know, never underestimate the power of prayer.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 24, 2018 @ 12:09 PM

9. Japanese scientist who won Nobel Prize and said that fasting from sunset to sunrise have the potential of neurons of the brain and body getting in the right order and five times,prayer has the potential to make our body and mind in control

Comment by Syed yusuf — June 24, 2018 @ 12:37 PM

10. Hi just to see the new day is so an inspiration for me nowing that I did it yesterday so why not today. Keep my head up high no matter what they say or think of me, nobody is perfect .I’ll fight fight to hold me and me straight up.

Comment by leone — June 24, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

11. Research and finding out all you can about your body. I have had so many doctors plan so many forms of medications.y inspiration is my husband. He has stood by me through all my ups and downs. He makes sure I have my meds, that I don’t get too tired, that I remember things. He inspires me to stay strong and be positive.

Comment by Barbara Monroe — June 24, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

• Me, too.

Isn’t it a blessing?

I had a flaming seizure on the night of the first date with my husband.

We’ve been married for 38 years!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 24, 2018 @ 4:59 PM

12. Danny Glover, the actor whom recorded the PBA ((PseudoBulbar Affect) commercial. Excellent job, because now more people are becoming aware. Thank You, Mr. Glover.

Comment by Curley21102 — June 24, 2018 @ 5:39 PM

13. Dear Phyllis, I highly enjoy and appreciate your emails – hope they can bring hope to families suffering from epilepsy. I was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor at the age of 26. My ‘journey’ started then… Pls see my tedx talk for my story, which i find can inspire people that lost hope. Hug and best wishes, Avi.

My TEDx talk: https://youtu.be/fawpoxIrYj0

Comment by Avi Yaron — June 25, 2018 @ 1:09 AM

• Avi, what a beautiful and inspiring story.

I admire your courage!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 25, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

• Avi,
      Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.
      Watching your video, the determined warrior who refused to give up, bravely standing in front of the whole world & confidently explaining your struggle with brain tumor, inspires me to rise above the wreck of seizures & search for more ways to fight Epilepsy.
      Now, you can see why I love this website, learning on how to cope & survive with my own struggle to overcome Epilepsy, from the same people who’re living with my condition.
      I hope & pray that your crusade to conquer the Neurological disorder will continue to be carried on, until the day that total remedy for brain disorder is practically available for all the victims of Epilepsy.
      Best Wishes!
      Gerrie

Comment by BahreNegash Eritrea — June 25, 2018 @ 1:05 PM

14. Phylismy inspiration is continuing to work even though I am past retirement years and also proving to so many others, including doctor’s that Epilsepy is not the limitation that most  thinks it is, I am both a senior level chemical and a whitewater guide even though so many  ignorant people tell me I cannot continue to do both which I say bullshit to. I  will never give up being a strong, educated and very outgoing personJim Colaianne

Comment by James Colaianne — June 26, 2018 @ 10:49 AM

• I’m determined to work until I drop, so I understand and admire you, Jim.

But you really shouldn’t have to prove anything. Your actions are proof enough.

You’re a strong man and for that you should be proud!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 26, 2018 @ 11:19 AM

15. My inspiration are my children & the love they show me. I used to say that anyone who thought any less of you because of epilepsy wasn’t worth bothering with anyway. They say the same when I feel less confident about that now. Also the various qualities of good friends. My job. As a ward based staff nurse in busy areas for years I realise that actually I’m pretty lucky really compared to many others with long term conditions, cancer or various types of surgery just as some examples x

Comment by Belinda Kenny — June 27, 2018 @ 7:07 PM

16. Knowing im not alone, and only someone with a seizure condition really know what it’s like to live with this condition it was keeps from giving up after an episode.

Comment by elena — June 30, 2018 @ 6:29 PM

• Knowing that you’re a person — not just someone with a seizure condition, I think is key.

You’re a person FIRST. The seizure condition is NOT.

And we all certainly understand that.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 30, 2018 @ 9:38 PM

17. My inspiration is my girlfriend. After being present during one of my worst seizures (stopped breathing, heart arithmia, and lengthened blackout)….she has helped and continues to help me get back on my feet after having to quit my job (no short term disability benefits) due to not being able to drive to work for my clients. Shes has been a light during some of my darkest times and is why I continue to do what I do for free and with the passion I have.
    I write some about epilepsy and self improvement at http://www.selfimprovedfitness.wordpress.com

Comment by Ahmed Jabai — July 22, 2018 @ 2:53 PM

• Congratulations to you Ahmed, for your loving and enduring relationship.

Not to mention your cool website.

Like Self Improved Fitness, Epilepsy Talk is a labor of love, open to one and all.

Continued blessings to you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 22, 2018 @ 3:49 PM