Epilepsy Fighting Foods | March 16, 2018

They say: “You are what you eat.” Not necessarily.

Here are some suggestions for sensible eating and supplementing your diet.

Of course everyone is different — with different needs — and on different meds.

But there are some rules that hold true…

For example, vitamin supplements such as Folic Acid can help deal with vitamin loss caused by medication.

People with epilepsy taking seizure medications seem to have more of a need for Calcium and Vitamin D to help keep healthy bones.

However, the all-star vitamin seems to be Vitamin B-6.

The good news is that it’s easy to get it in all kinds of different foods…fresh juicy fruits like apples, oranges, grapes, (especially grape juice), pineapples, peaches, pears and lemons…green leafy vegetables, carrots, peanuts, rice, milk, cereals, seeds, nuts and grain.

Now to break it all into bite-size pieces:

FOODS: Fish, lean meats, nuts, and poultry.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin B-3 (or Niacin). Improves circulation and is helpful for many brain-related disorders. It enhances the treatment of epilepsy when used with anticonvulsants.

FOODS: Broccoli, turnip greens, sunflower seeds and crimini mushrooms. Corn winter squash and strawberries.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin B-5 (Panothenic acid). The anti-stress vitamin.

FOODS: Protein rich foods like chicken, fish, beans, and nuts. Milk, rice, green leafy vegetables, peanuts, carrots and cereals.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin B-6. This vitamin is involved in critical functions of the nervous system. And it boosts the metabolism of various neurotransmitters which are needed for normal brain function.

FOODS: Liver, lentils, rice germ, brewer’s yeast, soy flour, and black-eyed peas. Navy beans, kidney beans, and lima beans. Peanuts, spinach, turnip greens., whole wheat, and asparagus.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin B-9 (Folic acid). Necessary for the health of the nervous system. (NOTE: Folic acid may be depleted during seizures and in some people with seizures. However, taking extra folic acid can reduce the effectiveness of anticonvulsant drugs and lead to more seizures. Take folic acid only under your doctor’s supervision.)

FOODS: Liver, beef, chicken, pork/ham, fish, whole eggs, milk, cheese and yogurt.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin B-12. Needed for proper digestion, the formation of cells, and the production of myelin, the protective coating surrounding the nerves. Vitamin B12 helps prevent nerve damage and levels may be reduced by some anticonvulsant drugs.

FOODS: Citrus fruits, broccoli, tomatoes, red, orange and yellow peppers (more than green). Baked potatoes, papaya, mango and kiwi.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin C. Vital to functioning of the adrenal glands, which are the anti-stress glands.

FOODS: (Only a few foods naturally contain significant amounts of vitamin D, including;) fatty fish and fish oils. Lesser so (I know, I was surprised), dairy products made from milk such as cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin D. Low levels are associated with depression as well as epilepsy. However many doctors aren’t aware of this and don’t include it in blood tests. It’s called the “sun vitamin” since the most effective way (other than supplements) to get vitamin D is from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. But no long how much you sit out in the sun, it will never be enough!

FOODS: Meat, poultry, eggs, and fruits. Vegetables, (especially broccoli), almonds, canola oil, vegetable oils, wheat germ oil and cereals.
NUTRIENT: Vitamin E. The Canadian Journal of Neurological Science published a study showing that vitamin E deficiency produces seizures. This powerful antioxidant protects the body from damage by free radicals and aids circulation.

FOODS: Cheese, yogurt, milk, sardines. Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, fortified orange juice and enriched breads, grains, and waffles.
NUTRIENT: Calcium. When balanced with magnesium, it helps prevents bone loss. However, you should know that calcium can interfere with anticonvulsant drugs and should only be taken under a doctor’s supervision.

FOODS: Nuts and seeds; including almonds, peanuts, cashews, and pumpkin seeds. Leafy greens like spinach, kale and swiss chard. Plus halibut, bananas, black beans, sea kelp, and basil.
NUTRIENT: Magnesium. Needed to balance with calcium. This mineral, when aligned correctly with calcium, achieves equilibrium for us all.

FOODS: Whole grains, leafy greens and legumes, nuts, and teas.
NUTRIENT: Manganese. Plays a significant role in cerebral function. Manganese (5 mg per day) levels are often low in people with epilepsy.

FOODS: Meat, especially, kidney, liver, and poultry. Broccoli, eggs, mushrooms, garlic, and onions. Brazil nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds and wheat. Seafood such as tuna, crab and especially lobster!
NUTRIENT: Selenium. Found to significantly reduce seizures.

FOODS: Meat, eggs, seafood (especially oysters). Whole-grain cereals, wheat germ, nuts, and legumes.
NUTRIENT: Zinc. Needed for bone growth and is often deficient in those with epilepsy.

To subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column, enter your email address and click on “Follow!”

1. That was very helpful, I’ve been an Epileptic for 20 years and I really need all the information I can get, Thank you..

Comment by Lashanda S Thompson — March 16, 2018 @ 9:09 PM

2. This was great information!! Thank you!!

Comment by Tami — March 17, 2018 @ 1:07 AM

3. I am curious about the effects of taking “medical marijuana”, as I am sure many people are in Canada now that it is becoming legal. I discussed it briefly with my neurologist, and he told me that he is not aware of any studies which have shown it to be helpful. I have recently had surgery which was intended to cure my epilepsy, however I am still on medication and I have found that taking my medication very late can lead to a seizure, and so I am going to be curious about what studies people have heard of regarding this drug, and what effects (good or bad, if any) the studies have found. Thank you for any responses.

Comment by Micheal Wilson — March 17, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

4. Very useful and beneficial information! Probably took a long time to put together – Thank you very much!

Comment by Robert Poloha — March 18, 2018 @ 5:36 AM

5. Thankyou for this post. We are working through the vitamin process at the moment.

Comment by AS I THINK I SAY - Living life according to me. — March 18, 2018 @ 8:38 AM

6. I have been taking keppra and limictal for about 10 years with little effect on weekly seizures. Last fall my doctor prescribed ONFI and after a few weeks seizures disappeared. ONFI is off label.

Comment by David — March 19, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

7. What can you tell us about food and histamine in relation to siezures

Comment by Kim Walton — March 22, 2018 @ 10:11 AM

8. After reading slowly & carefully all these foods which are suppose to be good to help with epilepsy, many of them 80+ % of those foods can be treated & sprayed with MSG chemicals. Cooking oils that are hydrogenated of the soy, vegetable & canola oils have MSG’s in them. Pure 100% VIRGIN coconut & olive oils are best to use. Potatoes fried in 100% PURE VIRGIN coconut oil are better tasting, that’s for sure, plus you can lose weight, cholesterol levels can be lower & glucose can be more normal too. All my blood work on all those other things, have been normal in the past 4 years, by using pure virgin 100% coconut oil. No SUNTAN LOTIONS are needed either, when you can use that instead. So you save money there as I rub it on anywhere skin is not protected in those months with no R’s in the spelling of M J J A months. Most to all butter today will have MSG’s in them as margerines all have that. So the list of FOODS are good, but WHAT IS IN THE FOOD is what matters more, by knowing if MSG & other toxic chemicals are saturating our food supply, then you know it will saturate all chemical activity in our brain, knowing how MSG chemicals changes the chemical make up of 100% total safe foods, to 100% unhealthy foods to where any human brain pays the price from BAD chemical reactions & BRAIN CELL SHOCK or DISASTER sooner or later in our life time.

Comment by C D — March 25, 2018 @ 7:12 PM

9. Please don’t forget about the power of vitamin B-12. I am 62 and have had epilepsy since I was 10. For almost 50 years I have been prescribed toxic doses of dilantin to deal with the epilepsy. These toxic doses damaged my body which I had accepted as part of this disease. I was even told that my body was addicted to this drug. So the stage is set for my ignorance until recently when i discovered I had low vitamin B-12 levels.

I began taking significant amounts of B-12 and have continued to take the B complex. I have had a huge reduction in seizures and felt for the first time in my life a feeling of being closer to normal and able to think more clearly. It’s truly an amazing feeling being able to think more clearly.

So if a simple vitamin B12 can produce such a powerful affect why couldn’t stem cell thearapy be the ultimate mitigation of this complex disease?

The brain, the body are far far too complex to ever consider controlling with drugs. But stem cell therapy by its own nature understands the human body since stem cells recognize 100% of the complexity of the body.

And this is not only true for epilepsy but all diseases of the body as the best way to truly proceed forward.

I believe that drugs are the sledge hammer of the past and stem cells therapy should be the current sought after treatment.

And so my conclusion results from using the body instead to address this complex disease rather than pouring time and energy into developing a better drug sledge hammer.

Comment by Eric Dhanak — March 30, 2018 @ 1:02 AM