What’s the worst accident you’ve ever had because of a seizure? | December 14, 2017

The worst accident I ever had was the one that caused my seizures.

I was at an ice rink, speed skating, when some jerk put his foot out. (A real funny joke.)

Into the boards I went, flying over the ice.

Only to land up laid out in the lap of the skating coach,  who knows how long later.

After that came the falling that became my trademark.

I fell upstairs, downstairs, on the pavement (resulting in some lovely concussions), but my parents refused to recognize them as seizures.

I was just clumsy. And not diagnosed until two years later. (Tonic clonic and absence seizures.) And then treated like a leper.

It was a long journey to become who I am today.

What was YOUR worst accident?

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Follow”

Posted in Epilepsy
Tags: ,

1. My accidents are never ending, but the worst was 2015, I burnt my hand, had an Atonic and collapsed holding an iron during a voluntary job. Nobody found me for some time when they did, I’d sustained deep dermal burns to my entire right hand. I had skin grafts taken from the groin area, and still tape my hand up at night with silicone tape. 😩 I’ll never forget the agony. Still smiling 😁

Comment by Elaine Howell — December 14, 2017 @ 1:05 PM

• Hello Elaine, terrible that happened to you. Hope you are recocovering well.

Comment by shefali — December 14, 2017 @ 1:53 PM

• Oh how horrific. I once fell on an iron, but I bounced right back in shock. Still have the scar, 50 years later, but that’s nothing compared with your travesty.

And yet, you’re still smiling. Bravo for you!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 14, 2017 @ 4:19 PM

2. Faceplant in the gravel behind the music festival’s main stage was one. About 7 years ago I had one in a cab on way to the airport transport ride. Needless to say I missed my flight.

Comment by Travis — December 14, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

• Faceplants on the concrete are my specialty. But I’m sorry you missed your plane. I’ve never had THAT disappointment. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 14, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

3. I have a scar on my face from falling at home after a seizure (fortunately it’s small and mostly hidden under my nose) . But the scariest was waking up in the hospital after I had been driving to work and not knowing if I had hit someone while driving. Luckily no one was injured. I am sorry to hear that someone actually caused your epilepsy. In my mind that’s a crime. Thanks for running this site and letting people share their stories. 🙂

Comment by David — December 14, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

• After my first soiree driving, I went into five non-moving objects in ten days. After that I hung up my keys for the next ten years. Another one of my many mishaps.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 14, 2017 @ 7:02 PM

4. 18 years ago when working in front of the computer, I made a big faint. For 20 minutes I did not know where I am. I woke up on the couch. Studies followed: EEG, a scanner, but doctors said there was no such disease. That’s why they did not cure me, but I went to the barracks, which was the mistake. Now I’m doing different drug samples.

Comment by Tirousse — December 15, 2017 @ 8:58 AM

5. I was 20 miles in MT backcountry riding mountain bikes with a friend. We had climbed for 3 hours to get to a summit. After resting for a half hour we proceeded on our way. 10 minutes later I tried to holler at a friend who was wearing headphones. I was rolling down the side of a mtn and had a seizure.

When I was coming to I heard people talking helicopters and search and rescue. 2 people found me and called in a mtn rescue. Music man returned with info of my condition. I had gone head first into some ground cover narrowly avoiding disaster all around me.

I have generalized tonic clonic seizures. My eyeballs were scratched and my jaw took a hit. Like I always say, it’s safer to have a seizure wearing a helmet.

10+ years of trileptal has made me hyponatremic. I didn’t have enough electrolytes in my water. 2 weeks later I went on a 1200 mile bike tour, solo. I took my electrolyte supplements for a seizure free bike tour. It’s great to feel normal

Comment by Andrew Plant — December 15, 2017 @ 4:46 PM

• OMG. YOU ROCK!

After an unmitigated disaster like that.

I’ll never complain about a chipped tooth or concussion again. 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 15, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

6. I won’t ever forget a bike accident, in the middle of town. I fell hard onto the concreate street. When that happened, a rib was cracked, with that cutting into the kidney. This all happened because of a Grand-Mal seizure. That totaled my bike. The ambulance took me to the hospital. The doctors did tests on me. They found that my neurologist, at that time, had over-dosed me. That was the worst seizure that I had. Thank goodness that that neurologist doesn’t live here any more. I’m doing well now. Not many petie-mal seizures, and I ride my bike all the time! Mny people still can’t beleive it.

Comment by whittemore1958 — December 16, 2017 @ 9:56 PM

• OMG! Did you turn toxic? Was your kidney ok? Was it pierced? How awful.

But I’m glad to see you’re still riding your bike! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 16, 2017 @ 10:15 PM

7. I’ve had numerous accidents from seizures: concussions, broken bones, a crashed car and yes, lost jobs, but psychologically the worst accident happened once when I went to pick up my kids at daycare.
    Strapped them into car seats, prepared to drive home and wham! a partial seizure. Unaware of why we weren’t leaving, the kids later told me that they kept shouting and took their little shoes off, trying to hit me in the head and wake me. Luckily, daycare owner saw my lone car outside, came out and called my husband.
    No, I no longer drive.
    Yes, 17 yrs later my kids still remember that day!

Comment by skolly9 — December 18, 2017 @ 6:27 PM

8. Happily you didn’t drive then. That was a godsend.

And I understand why you don’t drive now. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 18, 2017 @ 9:48 PM

9. For me it was a car accident. I left work at 5pm and hoped on the freeway in the San Francisco bay area. A grand mal knocked me out and i then drove into a car then swerved and hit the sound wall. Thank god i didn’t go into the oncoming traffic and no one was hurt. A witness told police she saw me seizing. Talk about being all shook up.

Comment by Zolt — January 12, 2018 @ 9:37 PM

10. I have complex- partial seizures . became lost in a field driving a tractor, found myself in a deep ditch while driving a pickup. I bet i had a siezure while breaking a horse. I ended up on the ground, An broke my ankle and collarbone, the horse was stand ing looking scared about twenty yards away. My first siezure is when I 25 years old. I’ll bet I’ve had other seizures that I never knew. Ive taught school and coached wrestling for 8 years. Now I have been managing grain elevators for over 20 years. The worst is when I find out somebody as seen I had seizure that I didn’t realize I had. 5 years had a VNS. because the drugs werent helping control my seizures. The VNS has helped dramatically.

Comment by Danny Wicke — January 15, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

11. I started having seizures less than a year after the surgery. The doctors tried different medications . I asked the doctor of VNS because I read about it. VNS doesn’t work for everyone, but it really helped me. I still run a grain elevator, drive, and break and train horses. I hope to hear from others with VNS or interested in it. But also let God have a chance to help by just asking him.

Comment by Danny Wicke — January 15, 2018 @ 11:21 PM