In Case of Emergency — New Solutions | May 26, 2017

Here are some methods to stop a seizure in its tracks. Or shorten one.

And help relieve you of the dreaded after-effects.

Possibilities you might not have known about…especially the new nasal sprays.

Recently some children have been using Ativan or Klonpin tablets or wafers, placed under the tongue for rescue from seizure activity — which is an excellent way to go.

Then there’s Diastat. Traditionally, it’s been the first line of fire in rescue meds for extreme seizures.

It’s available in a gel form that is inserted into the patient’s rectum to stop a cluster of repeated seizures. (It’s absorbed more quickly that way.)

However children, adults and caretakers aren’t too keen about it, and you can understand why.

Now, it’s been made available in a liquid oral form that comes in a syringe and goes right into the cheek of the mouth.

Also, Versed (Midazolam) and Ativan have been approved as antiepileptic nasal sprays. Plus, Versed can be inserted in the side of the cheek.

The way they work is by crossing the nasal mucosa and the blood brain barrier, providing rapid relief for people as they feel a seizure coming on. Or if someone is in the midst of a cluster of seizures.

And of course, the majority of patients tested preferred the nasal spray in terms of convenience!

(Ask your neuro about them, because they’re relatively new.)

In short, you have these new options which can control seizure activity. Find out more.

Your pharmacist can be a terrific source because he/she’s worked with most of the meds and knows the up-sides and the down-sides.

And remember, once you know all your options, you may be less fearful and more in control when a seizure strikes.

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

Additional articles of interest:

Common Epilepsy Triggers https://epilepsytalk.com/2010/03/02/common-epilepsy-triggers/

Weird Epilepsy Triggers… https://epilepsytalk.com/2011/09/19/weird-epilepsy-triggers%E2%80%A6/

1. I take ativan tablet s.

Comment by Michele Metzger — May 26, 2017 @ 12:41 PM

2. What is the shelf life on the nasal spray and the oral diastat? We don’t need a rescue med frequently and I want something that will last a while. Thanks

Comment by Sue — May 26, 2017 @ 1:06 PM

• Sue, the research that I did said the products are very stable with a shelf life of 36 months.

But honestly. That’s just a Google search.

I think it would be best to ask your pharmacist for details. (He/She is probably the most familiar with the products, since they come into contact with them the most.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 26, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

3. I am wondering if any of the mentioned ‘drugs’ or techniques would work on my Shadow, my Dalmatian? Anyone tried it?

Comment by RAW PASSION UK — May 26, 2017 @ 1:15 PM

• I would ask your vet. Potentially, they could be dangerous for your pooch.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 26, 2017 @ 2:36 PM

• That’s the thing, I have yet to find a vet who is clued up about canine epilepsy. They ALL say something else, so I am working alone on this for my dog. So far so good….but one can never have enough techniques.

Comment by RAW PASSION UK — June 7, 2017 @ 9:48 AM

4. Ativan is suppose to be addictive, so What about these other drugs & their addictive patterns they can have ?

Comment by C D — May 26, 2017 @ 2:31 PM

• Well C D, it’s relative. Some say that Klonopin can be addictive, but I’ve been taking it for 10 years with no change in dose.

Not to cop out, but I think it depends upon whether you have an “addictive” personality.

Some have lower “thresholds” than others.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 26, 2017 @ 2:41 PM

• Phyllis do you use this as a rescue strategy?

Comment by Kate Jacques — May 26, 2017 @ 7:13 PM

• Ativan is an emergency pill, that should not be used on a regular basis. If you use it regularly, the effects of it will be mute when you really need it the most. Also it should not be taken regularly for more than 2 weeks. It’s a powerful drug, that yes is very addictive, but if you only use it in emergency situations, you won’t get addicted. Luckily my seizures seem to be reducing in number so my need to rely on Ativan is less. To me, it tastes bad, very bad and the side effects are even worse. For me they are being moody for a few days, can’t sleep right for a few days. I also loose my appetite, but when i get it back, i make up for the lose. 🙂 Ugh.

My 2 cents.

Comment by Zolt — May 29, 2017 @ 3:26 PM

• A million, trillion thanks, Zolt. As usual, you’re a fount (and font!) of information. Great to hear from you, as always.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 29, 2017 @ 3:40 PM

5. Kate, I don’t personally don’t need it. But yes, that’s what it’s meant for. As a rescue strategy.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 26, 2017 @ 7:17 PM

6. Thanks Phyllis for the information.
    Anything to stop or minimize this dreaded menace on tracks from striking again is precious treasure empowering the patient from another stressful breakdown & tormenting anticipation of another seizure.
    I never tried one nor did I ever had any of them before, but I know I’m going to need one as soon as possible.
    The nasal spray sounds excellent choice for I can feel seizure warning/clusters through my nose for few days, before my grand mal seizures knocking me out.
    Let’s hope, the insurance coverage is going to help obtain one, for the budget strain may not help attain anything to fight back this nightmare.
    Again, thank you for your resourceful information, helping us overcome this ordeal, Epilepsy.

Comment by Gerrie — May 27, 2017 @ 1:37 PM

• Gerrie, I sincerely hope your insurance helps defray the cost.

Especially since you say that your seizure warning/clusters happen through your nose for a few days, before your grand mal seizures knock you out.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 27, 2017 @ 1:50 PM

7. Am i understanding correctly that if ativan is used when you are regaining consciousness from seizure it could reduce effects of seizure on memory etc?

Comment by Terry — May 27, 2017 @ 9:20 PM

8. Are there any negative effects of using Ativan as a nasal spray? Does the absorption this way last longer/shorter time?

Comment by Suzanna — May 29, 2017 @ 9:41 AM

9. Question please: Regarding the Diastat liquid for seizure rescue…we are interested in this for our 16 yr old son…is there a website that you can provide so that we can share this new information with our son’s doctor? TIA! Ralph

Comment by Ryan — June 4, 2017 @ 1:01 PM

10. I apologize…I just saw all the great links. Thanks again for this great information. Ralph

Comment by Ryan — June 4, 2017 @ 1:06 PM

11. I just read this – I will be on the phone to the neuro ASAP. Though my seizures are infrequent, I have come to know the signs. If I could use a shot of nasal spray when that beginning ripple in brain threatens, that would be wonderful!

Comment by Kate Jacques — June 21, 2017 @ 12:35 PM

12. Reblogged this on TBI Rehabilitation.

Comment by Kostas Pantremenos — August 15, 2017 @ 4:40 AM