FREE Prescription Drugs | March 17, 2017

With drugs costs and insurance costs rising every day, it’s often difficult to get the meds you need.  Below is a guide to no-cost or low-cost prescription programs.  Pass the word along…

Prescription Hope — over 1,500 brand name medications are offered as prescribed, by your doctor. There’s a set price of $35.00 a month per medication. http://www.prescriptionhope.com/index.html

RxAssist – a patient’s assistance program can help you find pharmaceutical company programs and other resources to help reduce your medication costs.  http://www.rxassist.org/

Rxhope.com: A patient assistance company partially funded by the pharmaceutical manufacturers. It promises to speed requests for no-cost medications. The website includes information on which medicines are covered by assistance programs. https://www.rxhope.com/

Needymeds — a list of programs that assists people who cannot afford medicine or healthcare costs.  http://www.needymeds.org/

RxSavingsPlus — a free drug/prescription discount card, to help lower the price for medication. It can be used at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Rite Aid and 60,000 participating pharmacies nationwide.  http://www.rxsavingsplus.com/en/default.aspx

Partnership for Prescription Assistance — helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage get the medicines they need through the program that is right for them. Many will get their medications free or nearly free. http://www.pparx.org/

My Rx Advocate — over 1,400 brand name and many generic medicines for a net cost of only $25 per month.  By becoming a member of My Rx Advocates, you will be assigned a Personal Care Advocate who will simplify the process of applying for patient assistance programs and make it easy for you to get your medications for very little out-of-pocket cost.  http://www.myrxadvocate.com/

1. Prescription drugs can be mind googling. One of my drugs is $100 a month with insurance but if I don’t use my insurance but do use a coupon discount from the drug company it is $40 a month. Doesn’t make sense but this is what I do.

Comment by Marie — March 17, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

• Well that’s enough to confuse anyone. I don’t get it. I guess it’s all a matter of mark-up. (Grrrrrr…)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2017 @ 3:54 PM

2. I use RxOutreach myself, and they serve me well

Comment by Brian Refford — March 17, 2017 @ 4:00 PM

• Good to hear it’s working for you. My husband uses RxSavingsPlus to get the brand name of an astronomically expensive drug.

(Interestingly enough, the most competitive price — with the card — was at Walmart. Prices tend to fluctuate from zip code to zip code!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

3. Wish the same would be for dogs. My Shadow (Dalmatian) suffers with epilepsy for 5 years now. I get my pheno from Spain for 3 Euros instead of £105 in the UK, but the Keppra is another story. At my vets it is £148 per months and with an online prescription its £50. It is ridiculous. What if one could not afford those drugs??

Comment by RAW PASSION UK — March 17, 2017 @ 4:45 PM

4. The problem with FREE drugs or lower cost drugs, none of them are ever FREE of the metals,MSG & ASPARTAME additives, that every drug company & FDA claims are safe. ONFI is an example as it has at least 3 or more MSG’s in that drug. ZONEGRAN is as bad with HYDROGENATED soy or/and vegetable oils in their drug, as for 1 MSG they use. No matter the cost the all seem to have MAGESIUM STEARATE in every AED on the market & other neurological drugs. STEARATES of any kind will slow down or stop the digestive system. When that happens to everyone, taking any AED’s, plan for more seizures of any type one may have. All of that is WHY I’ll never take more drugs as I need, because they are so ineffective for the reasons stated, as all one has to do is see for their own brain talking to them, as I know the LESS magnesium stearates,MSG’s & ASPARTAME’s in the drugs, the LESS seizures one will have, no matter what cost or how many are free we all could get & take. Even my neurologists sees & admits that too many drugs, are not a good thing, & can be worse than no drugs at all . Believe me,I know how I felt when I was off drugs for over 1 year, It was the best year of my life of 56 years + I have lived with seizures. I have not felt that way since being back on the drugs again. THINK before you believe any FREE drugs will relieve some STRESS. AED’s have caused more STRESS than I can imagine or want to ever live with again.

Comment by C D — March 17, 2017 @ 5:20 PM

• True C D. FREE drugs are not “free” of chemical agents. But isn’t that what they are? Chemicals.

As for “too many drugs are not a good thing, & can be worse than no drugs at all”…what happened when you went off of drugs and why did you go back on them again?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

• I found out I was allergic to the Magnesium Sterate and Cornstarch used as inactive ingredients in many of the pill forms of AEDs. I have lived with Epilepsy since I was 8 months old. I recently found out in my history, after going to the same ER this past August and got the results of high eosinophils(a white blood cell that indicates allergy), that all the way back in 2011 I had a high eosinophil level before and it was neglected. Had I known this back then I would have brought it to my doctor’s attention then, instead of having to deal with the neurologist I had and had to leave because I was overmedicated. I switched a couple of meds to syrups before leaving, but there were a few I couldn’t switch. The main culprit was what the previous neurologist had recently put me on-Aptiom. In November when I switched to a neurophysiologist at this new place I got off Lyrica after having a new VEEG done-which my previous neurologist was basing my drugs off an 8 year old one from PRIOR to my surgery. I am currently coming off my last pill, Clonazepam. It is a small doses, but the Clonazepam does have Cornstarch in it. I have been sneezing a lot after taking my syrups and I know I have an allergy to the Sorbitol in the Topiramate compound and a bit of intolerance to the Maltitol in the Levetiracetam syrup. I also am on Modified Atkins Diet. I have a VNS. I am also getting a stimulation by my Functional Medicine aunt.

Comment by trekkie80sgirl — March 18, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

• Well, you sure are testimony to C D’s conclusions. Living proof. But the pain you had to go through discovering it!

I salute you for knowing your body best, daring the doctor’s complacency, and all that you’ve been through.

Trekkie, you are amazing.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 18, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

5. mine are paid from medicade, med icare.

Comment by Michele Metzger — March 17, 2017 @ 6:43 PM

6. Hi Phylis,

I tried to tweet this great post, but it says the Twitter account is suspended and, so, it wouldn’t do it. You may need to look into something strange going on.

Hope all’s well, and keep writing!!

Cheers,

Alison @LightEpilepsy

Comment by shedlightonepilepsy — March 17, 2017 @ 7:07 PM

• Thanks Alison. I don’t quite know what’s going on with my twitter account either. But since I don’t tweet much, I haven’t been too pro-active in investigating it.

I did what they told me to do and nothing happened so I figured, oh well…

I’m kind of at my social media limit, with Epilepsy Talk, plus participating on about 15 Facebook pages. (!)

But thanks so much for the heads up.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 17, 2017 @ 7:44 PM

7. I take Phentoin 100 mg 4 a day 360 pill 3M0 supply at Walmart $53

Comment by Vincent — March 17, 2017 @ 7:59 PM

8. Thank you for the tips!

Sent from my iPad

Comment by John Lyden — March 18, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

9. Love your blog. I need to thank you for sharing your knowledge with the world. 🙏🏼

Comment by analyticalwarrior — April 24, 2017 @ 7:57 PM