1. Good morning or afternoon to you Phylis & from my family to your a Happy New Year.

An excellent article with first hand comments from a wonderful Dr. Smith who is truly an advocate of educating his peers & we lay persons about epilepsy. What courage he has to actually have epilepsy, but to dedicate his life to becoming a neurologist & fully realizing even though he was passionate about surgery fully realized it wasn’t in the best interest of his patients safety.

Your articles have brought me such a better understanding of epilepsy & I truly believe in my heart & soul that my Twin Allan was ashamed of being diagnosed with epilepsy & just wish the neurologists & medical team who was treating him at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda had shown more passion to my brother. He was too young to leave this journey we call life & just wished he could have afforded healthcare from the civilian establishments.

Phylis, you are a true blessing in my life & I thank you for all you’ve done with your regular informative newsletters.

God Bless & Keep Well My Friend.

AJ
    Ontario, California
    ajgolfnut5@gmail.com

P.S. A nice gentleman recently reached out to me via an email & shared a lot of insight into his valiant fight against his epilepsy & if he’s reading my post today I wish you well my friend…you’re a real trooper. I am the former U S Air Force Veteran who served jointly with my Twin both Stateside & in the Middle East.

Comment by AL Johnson "AJ" — January 4, 2017 @ 12:43 PM

2. AJ, if your brother was shown the compassion of this doctor, and his unremitting passion, perhaps more time would have been spent on both Alan and his symptoms.

But you, yourself, are a brave survivor.

God bless and wishes for a healthy, happy and peaceful new year.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2017 @ 1:17 PM

3. The NYT article was very interesting and it is wonderful that he is stepping up to the education challenge. he looks like the right person to tackle the lack of knowledge in the medical community. It reminds me that it would be a good idea for me to volunteer to do one of the safety programs at work.

Comment by Kate Jacques — January 4, 2017 @ 4:58 PM

4. Good for you Kate and your own feeling of commitment!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 4, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

5. The Neurologist is to be commended for his empathy and continued commitment to his practice. I, very reluctantly, “seized” being a psychiatric social worker, feeling less able to provide proper care due to memory loss and “zombie brain” ( from AED’s), and fearing potential malpractice, or worse.

Comment by Susan Hartmann — January 10, 2017 @ 6:59 PM

6. Oh Susan, a friend of mine went through the same thing and mourns that moment every day.

For her, it was a tragic ending to a rewarding practice.
    😦