Move Over VNS…There’s A New Guy in Town! | November 27, 2016

What if I were to say there’s a new nerve stimulation therapy that requires NO SURGERY and reduces seizures among those who are drug resistant by about 40 percent?

SAY HELLO TO TRIGEMINAL NERVE STIMULATION!

The difference between this experimental device and the VNS is that the skin is never penetrated and the TNS is powered by an external device about the size of a large cell phone.

Imagine putting two gel pads above your eyebrows — one on each eyebrow — and having that kind of seizure relief.

With a reduction of depression as a bonus.

All you feel is a “slight tingling sensation.”

Sounds like a win-win to me!

NOTE: Only available in Canada and Europe as of this writing.

For full details, go to: http://www.npr.org/2011/07/27/138619259/new-device-reduces-seizures-no-surgery-required?ft=1&f=100

1. Is this like the Fisher Wallace device?
    I wondered if that were safe for people with epilepsy. Company says that it is safe.

Comment by Martha — November 27, 2016 @ 12:23 PM

2. You’re sort of right Martha, in terms of comparison.

The Fisher Wallace Stimulator and the TNS are both powered by an external device.

The difference is, the TNS stimulates the trigeminal nerve, which runs just beneath the skin covering the eyebrows.

And these electrical signals follow that nerve to areas in the brain where seizures often begin.

To my understanding, the Fisher Wallace device is only for depression, while the TNS is for seizures, with a bonus of relieving depression also.

I think the Fisher Wallace is safe for those with epilepsy.

(In fact, at one point, I was thinking of writing an article about this!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 27, 2016 @ 12:45 PM

• Phyllis, do you know anybody who has used the Fisher Wallace device?

Comment by Martha — December 6, 2016 @ 6:38 PM

3. So this is another way for SHOW & TELL the world how different you are from them, and you wear a noticeable device on you for the world to see & judge you knowing they are so much better with their character, morals, & values about life. Death is the only way to win in the seizure world we live in today as long as you know Jesus Christ is the only way to have Eternal life with no seizures in it, Of course God can heal any of us at any time as I am never stopping God from doing that for me. That has no price tag to it either, as it was PAID IN FULL when Jesus Christ died for us all on the cross. Why shouldn’t over 65 MILLION be healed at once in a blink of an eye ? What’s wrong in expecting that, and putting all these device & drug industries & neurologists out of business ? They have done nothing for me in 56 years, so God you can show them what ”’healing powers”’ you have now, and start your healings for all 65 MILLION + asap.

Comment by C D — November 27, 2016 @ 12:58 PM

4. I was a very nerveus person when I was over med. for 20 years. Now that I,m taking lazerpam, and listen to music that help,s me to not let thing,s like stress brother me.

Comment by michele metzger — November 27, 2016 @ 1:47 PM

5. Do you know where things are with this currently, Phyllis? I see that the article is dated 2011 & would be most interested in trying it before VNS for my daughter (age 22). We are in the Phila area & major hospital says it is not approved. Any idea why?

Comment by franboc — November 27, 2016 @ 4:04 PM

• Franboc, I’m sorry. I looked further and, according to the Epilepsy Foundation, so far, it’s only available in Canada and Europe.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 28, 2016 @ 8:28 AM

6. Is this device out on the market? Cleveland Clinic doesn’t seem to know about it.

Comment by Chava Linder — November 27, 2016 @ 11:40 PM

• Chava, I looked further and, according to the Epilepsy Foundation, it’s available in Canada and Europe, so far.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 28, 2016 @ 8:25 AM

7. Nervana is a gizmo that is stimulating the vagus nerve via ear buds which are also playing music. They say this can be relaxing. No mention of seizure treatment but we can wonder about the effects of this device on epilepsy. https://experiencenervana.com/technology-vagus-nerve-stimulation-in-synchronicity-with-music/

Comment by Brian Thompson — November 28, 2016 @ 12:04 AM

8. Drs. Cook & Di Giorgio have been studying the TNS for epilepsy for a long time. I had come across them in my quest to help with my son’s intractable epilepsy. I had written to them ( this is about 7-8 years ago) to try & get my son into one of their trials. Never heard back. Here’s some info on them: & some articles on TNS trials:

Comment by Hunter'sMom — December 3, 2016 @ 3:44 PM

• Thank you for the links. When my daughter’s seizures were diagnosed at age 8, I also said they would not define her. Unfortunately, she was part of the statistic of “1/3 worsens with puberty.” We have done everything to no avail, including an anterior corpus callosotomy & TMS as a therapy. TNS would be more appealing at this stage than VNS since it does not require another surgery with the possibility of complications. In any event, I wish you better success against the demon of Epilepsy than we have had.

Comment by franboc — December 5, 2016 @ 11:50 AM

• My son’s seizures have lessened in the last few years ( down to 1 a day from 20+ a day). He’s going into puberty now. The only thing that I’ve done as a constant in the last few years is supplement him with magnesium. I don’t know if this is what has helped him or not. I tried fish oil and it didn’t seem to make a difference. M yheart goes out to you & your daughter for all you’ve been through.

Comment by Hunter'sMom — December 5, 2016 @ 6:08 PM

9. Dear Hunter’s Mom,

Thanks so much for the leads and the links.

Sorry you weren’t able to get your son into one of the trials, but the articles are fascinating.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 3, 2016 @ 6:29 PM

10. I think everyone who reads this blog has gone through the same thing ( probably several times): You read about new therapies, treatments, procedures and get all excited and get your hopes up……. I’m not trying to be pessimistic, but realistic. We must keep searching though and keep on living too. My son does not let his seizures rule his life.

Comment by Hunter'sMom — December 4, 2016 @ 7:28 AM

11. Again, thank you Hunter’s Mom, both for the encouragement and words of wisdom.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 4, 2016 @ 10:21 AM