Memorial Day Thought… | May 28, 2016

“Alone we can do so little.

Together we can do so much.” — Helen Keller

Happy Memorial Day.

1. happy memorial day, to you and your family. I will be at work, that,s the best part of my day.

Comment by michele metzger — May 28, 2016 @ 8:59 PM

2. Well, you’re not alone. I’ll be working, too. What kind of work do you do?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 28, 2016 @ 10:26 PM

3. Happy Memoral Day to you hope your weekend is great!! Nothing’s impossible and if we stay strong together we can change the stigma and get more help for this condition

Comment by Kathy — May 29, 2016 @ 6:22 AM

4. I work at McDonald’s, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday 4pm to 7pm doing janitorial work .I ,m done with everything I time between 5,30 and a quarter to 6. what’s I start it,s hard to stop me.

Comment by michele metzger — May 29, 2016 @ 11:03 AM

5. Goes to show you, once you’re in action, you can’t keep a good girl down! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 29, 2016 @ 12:06 PM

6. Happy Memorial Day to all. My son who is now 32 has had seizures since the age of 2. The past thirty years have been mixed with many crazy emotions. Lots of highs and lows. Right now we are switching from brand Lamictal to generic because we can not afford brand which would cost us 700 a month with our insurance plan. Can you believe it? Not what those who fought for our country would have ever expected. Anyway just thankful there is a place to vent.

Comment by Ann — May 29, 2016 @ 4:55 PM

7. Ann, Perhaps this article will help:

Epilepsy — Top Financial and Medical Assistance Programs

In it are:

Deeply Discounted Drugs Without Insurance

No-Cost or Low-Cost Drugs and Patient Assistance Programs

FREE Prescription Drugs

Health Insurance — No-Cost & Low-Cost

Hope this helps. Happy Memorial Day weekend.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 29, 2016 @ 5:57 PM

8. I am on depakote er, phenobarbital, Dilantin, tranzene, Zoloft, and have an inactive dbs. My body burns internally and no drs. To help. Any suggestions?

Comment by Curtis McMurtrey — June 13, 2016 @ 9:05 PM

9. Why no doctors? That’s an awful lot of drugs. Who’s prescribing all those meds?

I’m sorry, I’m not a doctor but I would start with probiotics, to tame the beast within.

Probiotics — Food For Thought

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 14, 2016 @ 9:26 AM

10. I eat probiotics daily. By no dr. I mean all drs. pass me on to another saying,”We don’t know what’s causing them, but try this”. I am tired of being a Guiana pig!
    This experiment is about to give up, for good!

Comment by Curtis McMurtrey — June 14, 2016 @ 8:34 PM

11. I have intractable seizures and six events in my life has increased my anxiety level to an outstanding rate! Now the seizures are coming on almost twice daily! What am I to do about the anxiety?

Comment by Curtis McMurtrey — July 5, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

12. Dear Curtis, here some relaxation ideas that I’ve come up with:

1. Deep breathing. I breath in through my nostrils with pursed lips from the diaphragm. (Note: ribs rise as opposed to tummy.) Then exhale twice as long as inhaling. Ten times in a row is best. Or you can try more if you’re feeling really tense. If you’re having trouble relaxing before you go to bed, try 3-5 times. I try to make it a habit. The beauty of this is that you can do it any time, any where, and as long as you need to, until that nasty panic goes away.

2. Visualization. I think of a particular happy experience (or two) and sort of let it take over my body. Like watching the waves crash. Or eating a lobster roll in Maine.

3. Music. I take 30 minutes that’s just mine, get in a comfy chair, put on headphones and forget about the rest of the stuff. It’s so relaxing, that sometimes I feel like I’m transported to another place. Away from my fears.

4. Walking a few miles or so, taking in my surroundings. Sometimes it’s the trees, a bird flying by, a beautiful sunset. Or maybe watching other people (I admit it, I’m an incurable people watcher), cloud formations. Whatever presents itself before me. Being in the moment.

5. I do run an epilepsy support group. (You could join one or start your own.) It’s helpful to hear other people’s fears and concerns and try to help each other. There’s a feeling of accomplishment, community, sharing and of course, making new friends. After all, aren’t we all in this together?

6. I try to do something new that’s creative. (Obviously, after 35 years, it’s not writing.) Right now, I’m trying to learn more about my camera, so I can take some real pictures, other than just of my cat.

7. There’s meds (yup, that too) and cognitive therapy (which has done a world of good for me).

I’d love to be able to meditate, but I just don’t have the attention span. Try deep muscle relaxation, but who has the time?

Or finally, confront my fears and think of what’s the worst thing that could happen?

Hope this helps.