Epilepsy — Top Financial and Medical Assistance Programs | May 15, 2016

With so many people at the end of their resources, we could all use a helping hand.

Below is my attempt to research viable resources for financial and medication aid.

The big “find” for me was Josh Provides.org. But if they’re the real thing (and they certainly sound like it) then they’re the answer to all our dreams.

They may not appreciate the publicity, but I had to share this information with all of you.

Also included are various other financial and drug resources that you may or may not have heard about.

But the links are live and I suggest you give them a spin.

Josh Provides.org. Financial assistance for those living with epilepsy and other seizure disorders and their families who are in need of help to pay for all or a portion of the expenses they incur for:

Transportation expenses to and from home, school, medical services and employment, through the purchase from or through third parties of gas cards, bus passes, taxi cab cards, or other third-party transit options plus:

Prescription medication — Medical services — Seizure response dogs — Seizure detection devices — Seizure prediction devices.

Also included are other technologies, methods, and devices which are recommended by the patient’s medical doctor and are not covered by private medical insurance, other reimbursement plans, or government-funded programs, i.e. Medicaid benefits and Medicare benefits (but not insurance premiums) joshprovides.org/

RX SavingsPlus A free drug/prescription discount card, to help lower the price for medication. It can be used at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Rite Aid and 60,000 participating pharmacies nationwide. And it offers an average of 20% off the retail price of drugs.  (Kind of skimpy, but one-stop shopping.)  https://www.rxsavingsplus.com/

There are other coupon offers out there like: Prescription Hope which offers over 1,500 brand name medications as prescribed by your doctor. There’s a $15 per prescription per month service fee. And a yearly enrollment fee of only $15 — no other medication cost and no hidden costswww.prescriptionhope­.­com/­what-­we-­offer.­html

GoodRx, can save you up to 70% (mostly on generics) with a free drug/prescription discount card, which can be used at CVS Pharmacy, Target, Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Kroger and 60,000 other participating pharmacies nationwide.

No insurance is needed. There’s only one hitch, prices may vary by zip code. So check pharmacies around your area for the best deal. http://www.goodrx.com/

Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA) The Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA) is a joint effort of American drug companies, medical organizations, and government agencies to inform patients about patient assistance programs. The PPA offers a toll-free helpline as well as an online application wizard and program information. The toll-free helpline is 1-888-477-2669 or look up https://www.pparx.org/

PatientAssistance.com This is a free resource designed to help connect patients who cannot afford their prescription medications with patient assistance programs. http://www.patientassistance.com/

rxassist.com A website with information, news, and a database that are all designed to help you find out about ways to get affordable, or free medications.  The database includes information on the pharmaceutical companies’ patient assistance programs, or programs that provide free medication to low-income patients.  RxAssist was created by Volunteers in Health Care, a national, nonprofit resource center for health care programs working with the uninsured.   http://ww42.rxassist.com/

SelectCare Benefits Network Over 1400 brand name and many generic medicines for a net cost of only $20 per month.  By becoming a member of SelectCare Benefits Network, you will be assigned a Personal Care Advocate who will simplify the process of applying for Patient Assistance Programs and make it easy for you to get your medications for very little out-of-pocket cost.  https://www.myrxadvocate.com/

See more at:

Deeply Discounted Drugs Without Insurance  https://epilepsytalk.com/2010/03/18/deeply-discounted-drugs-without-insurance/

No-Cost or Low-Cost Drugs and Patient Assistance Programs  https://epilepsytalk.com/2012/05/23/no-cost-or-low-cost-drugs-and-patient-assistance-programs-2/

FREE Prescription Drugs  https://epilepsytalk.com/2010/10/08/free-prescription-drugs/

Health Insurance — No-Cost & Low-Cost  https://epilepsytalk.com/2011/01/12/no-cost-low-cost-medical-insurance/

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Follow”.

1. Good Sunday to You Phylis & once again valuable web sites for those in need of RX assistance.

If there is anyone on this site that receive regular emails from this fine lady I am still reaching out to find a surviving Twin to email or phone chat for emotional support. I lost my Fraternal Twin from a seizure on Nov. 24, 2014 & still struggle almost daily with his sudden passing. Please feel free to reach out to my email: ajgolfnut5@gmail.com

Have a wonderful day Phylis & many many thanks for your emails & research to help those in need.

AL “AJ” Johnson Ontario, California

Comment by AL "AJ" Johnson — May 15, 2016 @ 1:09 PM

2. Thank you so much for these e-mails. All the information and resources you provide are much appreciated !

Comment by Susan S — May 15, 2016 @ 3:31 PM

3. Thank YOU for the compliment, Susan!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2016 @ 3:48 PM

4. Good work on this Phylis, thanks for your look into the possibilities. It is good to know they exist and please keep spreading the news. The insurance business shifts quickly and can leave many in a tight spot. I have noticed that the same insurance company and program I had last year is rejecting bills submitted in 2016 for the same schedule of Dr office visits I had in 2015. Nothing new, expensive or outrageous on my end. My situation has not really changed, but evidently the insurance company has found a loop to jump through. I think of insurance companies as the modern version of The Mob of the 1930s. We all pay protection money. Amazingly it has been formalized to a paycheck deduction so they get their cut off the top. This is probably more like extortion than protection (and was so in 1930s Chicago), but dammit – if I pay protection money, I want The Mob to provide value for money.

Comment by Kate Jacques — May 15, 2016 @ 9:09 PM

• Kate, before I got to the bottom of your reply, I was going to call out Extortion!”

You have to pay to play. With what payback? Wouldn’t it be wonderful to know.

Thanks for your wonderful, inciteful response! I love it. 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 16, 2016 @ 10:02 AM

5. Thanks for posting this! It’s so useful, especially with costs going sky-high! I’d like to reshare it on my blog, if that’s ok with you.

Comment by Soo Ihm — May 16, 2016 @ 12:55 AM

6. Thanks for the compliment.

Soo, you’re welcome to repost any of these articles as long as it’s properly cited. (Article name, source, author.)

The purpose of this blog is to explain epilepsy — share information, experiences and increase awareness.

So, the more who know and share, the better.

Pass it on!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 16, 2016 @ 10:09 AM

7. I’ll chime in something. A neighbor told me about MTM. They are now operating with SOME counties/state up here in Minnesota as well they are in several other states. I will use them for reimbursement for travel expenses (gas/millage). They can help cover costs of other expenses that are appointment related. HQ is down is St Louis. SO check with the site and see if they may help in your situation.

Comment by Travis — May 16, 2016 @ 11:03 AM

8. Thanks for the tip but what is MTM?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 16, 2016 @ 1:43 PM

9. Travis, thanks anyway!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 17, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

10. Thanks as always Phylis excellent.

Comment by Melissa Bryan — May 17, 2016 @ 7:38 PM

11. Thanks Melissa!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 18, 2016 @ 9:51 AM

12. Thanks Phylis,,need to find out more about bus and transport,

Comment by Kathy — May 30, 2016 @ 5:28 PM

13. I have a question if someone can please help me understand my grandson n is 9 he has been seizure free for a year two months his neurologist is concerned about his behaviors which is why he’s in a boys home but does not evaluate him on these meds and does not believe meds cause any side effects I’m really not understanding this help if you can please😕

Comment by Cheryl — August 17, 2016 @ 2:31 AM

14. FIND A NEW NEUROLOGIST. Who would put a kid in a Boys Home and ignore the side-effects of any meds?

Here’s the 2016 Comprehensive List of GOOD Neurologists…Epileptologists…Neurosurgeons…and Pediatric Doctors

It’s a compilation by website forum members who have had positive personal experiences with docs over the years.

(Pediatricians are towards the end of the list.)

Also, here are two more links which might help you find an appropriate doctor:

2016 Top-Ranked Pediatric Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery

2016 Top Ranked Hospitals for Neurology and Neurosurgery

If money is an urgent concern, you might consider applying to hospitals covered by the Hill-Burton Act.

The Act is administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and authorizes assistance to public and other nonprofit medical facilities such as acute care general hospitals, special hospitals, nursing homes, public health centers, and rehabilitation facilities.

To find the closest Hill-Burton facility, click on: http://www.hrsa.gov/gethealthcare/affordable/hillburton/facilities.html

Or call the Hill Burton Hotline:
    1-800-638-0742 (1-800-492-0359 in Maryland)

I hope your grandson finds appropriate care.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 17, 2016 @ 8:19 AM

15. Is there any resources out there that help with emergency rental assistance my son recently was hospitalized and missed some work and I’m behind on my rent. He lives with me and waiting for a response back on his disability

Comment by Sally Pinkerton — November 13, 2016 @ 2:00 PM

16. But do they assist in getting med like CBD? I was on many meds and found out what Steven Johnsons is. Not fun.

Comment by John — June 19, 2017 @ 10:08 AM