Auras without Seizures | March 26, 2016

Do any of these sensations sound familiar to you…

Suddenly you’re sweating, flushed, become pale or have goosebumps. Your stomach feels queasy, like you’re going to puke.

There’s a foreboding or fear that something awful is about to happen. You feel like a mess emotionally.

Maybe you feel an odd sensation, like a gentle breeze, buzzing or ringing sounds. Voices that aren’t really there, a nasty taste in your mouth, weird smells, visual distortions.

You feel like you have zoom eyeballs. Visual and spatial perceptions are off. (Sort of like “Alice in Wonderland” except this is NOT wonderful!)

There’s a distortion of time. Maybe like an out-of-body experience.

Déjà vu. You’ve been here before. You’re seeing people and places or experiencing events from the past. Yet, new places and things seem familiar – as if they’ve happened before

Or maybe it’s the other way around. You’re uncomfortable with your surroundings and things that are familiar to you. Well-known places may suddenly seem strange.

It’s an aura, right?

BUT WHERE’S THE SEIZURE?

Are you going crazy? Are you imagining things?

Nope. You’re probably having a Simple Partial Seizure. (I know, I was blown away, too!) The aura IS the seizure.

An aura is actually a small seizure itself — one that has not spread into an observable seizure that impairs consciousness and your ability to respond. You don’t lose consciousness.

In other words, something is going on in your brain. But it isn’t spreading.

Sometimes this abnormal electrical activity tapers off. At other times, it spreads and leads to severe seizures.

Auras can occur as a warning that a bigger seizure is about to happen. And sometimes they can occur just by themselves.

A way to distinguish between the two is if you have no movement at all, then it’s considered an aura. If you have actual movement, then it’s considered a Simple Partial Seizure.

One person describing her auras said “The sensation is kind of like lighting a firework that turns out to be a dud. The fuse starts hissing, but then instead of the firework going off (i.e. having a full blow seizure) it just fades and stops after about 10-15 seconds.”

What are YOUR experiences?

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Follow”

1. You ever heard of feeling like you are feeling like you are falling on your back really fast. Or twitching like someone is poking you?

Comment by Foghorn The IKonoclast — March 26, 2016 @ 11:00 AM

2. The falling feature is not new to me. Sometimes I fall (without a seizure) and sometimes I don’t.

As for twitching, that one I’m spared.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 26, 2016 @ 1:44 PM

3. I’ve had these exact experiences before I realized I had epilepsy (it wasn’t until I had a tonic-clonic that i was diagnosed).

Light headed, a “rushy” feeling coming from my thoracic area, feeling as if I’m about to fall, feel the ground shaking below me and flashbacks to dreams (as if I were back in the dream). And smelling burnt rubber.

Also a form of deja vu called “hyperfamiliarity” where total strangers seem familiar. It wasn’t until the days following my TC that I made the connection.

Comment by Scubagirl — March 26, 2016 @ 1:46 PM

4. Isn’t the “light headed” feeling the worst?

I used to get a metallic taste in my mouth. If I started to “drool” (charming) I knew it was the real deal.

But the prescience was the worst. Knowing something was going to happen…but not knowing when. Scary!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 26, 2016 @ 2:03 PM

5. When thing,s look like there out of place even though it,s not. then I feel a little funny, then like a rush it goes trough me head to foot , front and back.

Comment by michele metzger — March 26, 2016 @ 7:50 PM

6. That must be very disconcerting!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 26, 2016 @ 7:59 PM

• Yes every time I walk I start sweating and some days my eyes feel weird and it hard to see suff . Every side affect in this article is true but never through of it as a seizure but I don’t mind having these kind of seizure . I only have the seizure we’re I shake own my right and then there aniexy seizure . Witch I hate all of them 😡

Comment by Isabella Tornari — March 19, 2017 @ 7:35 PM

• Any type of seizure is no fun…neither is having auras. But, in my case, the aura is a warning of bigger things to come. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 19, 2017 @ 7:40 PM

7. Yes all this is VERY FAMILIAR to me! I only developed a seizure disorder after I had 9 brain surgeries and suffered a TBI during one of my surgeries. During a surgery in April of 2000, I experienced several rapid fire seizures during my brain surgery. MY NS hoped that it was going to be temporary. I started having all of the things listed above except any smells or tastes. I had seen several neurologists and have EEGs done with no conclusive result. They couldn’t rule it out, they couldn’t rule it in. I had doctors recommending that I take anti depressants, I take seizure meds that could also pass for anti anxiety meds and rot your teeth of course. I had a neurologist who put me on more and more and more meds so I felt like a Zombie. I had a different neurologist who said she felt that I just wanted a reason to have a service dog (seizure alert and mobility assist dog) She hated dogs, despised when he would accompany me to appointments. Told my mother that I was having “psychogenic seizures” meaning developed through some deep rooted trauma that I was not willing to realize and get help for. In Dec 2008 and March 2009 I had a series of Grand mal seizures. I was sent to the hospital via Ambulance for the first occurrence since surgery. The neurologist on staff witnessed the seizures. They had to use medication to stop the seizures in the ambulance and again at the hospital because I went in to eppilepticus Staticus. It can be fatal. I spent a week in the hospital that time being introduced to new AED’s. I had a my seizure alert dog both occurrences post surgery I just thought “I knew better” lol. After the 2nd occurrence I never have questioned him. I’m not on the maximum recommended amount of Keppra XR as well as 40 mgs of Baclofen a day and 100 mgs of an Anti Depressant for PTSD. I have been seizure free since 2012, and now I can drive!!!! 😀 The best part maybe is knowing other people experience these things too. But even the best is knowing that I now have a neurologist who supports me as well as my seizure alert/ mobility assist dog. It is really disheartening in this day and age that one would be lead to believe that they are not actually suffering a seizure, that they were somehow doing this themselves.

Comment by CZ — March 26, 2016 @ 8:29 PM

8. How did you ever survive all that to be seizure free?

What courage…what persistance…what bravery!

And yes, there’s nothing to be said in defense of ignorance.

(When will they ever learn?)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 27, 2016 @ 9:14 AM

9. been there dr,s cant seen to get it right for me now am on aption in morning and lemectal at night have small seizure like am in other world especialy morning I was able to control morning seizure because low blood sugar it seems to work but have to be carefulwant to go visit my brother in Canada but don’t know if I can make long ride cant do it by plane so its the train thanks for staying with me

Comment by jeannine lavigne — March 27, 2016 @ 10:00 AM

10. Glad you’re able to somewhat control the morning seizures.

I hear the train can be beautiful.

I don’t know where you’re departing from, but I took a train trip across America and it was awesome.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 27, 2016 @ 10:43 AM

11. Whether an aura is an actual seizure or a “pre-seizure”, that awful feeling of deja vu and otherworldlyness leaves me with such a sense of doom as I descend further into that black hole of a seizure. Coming out the other side, you realize you’ve lost control of your body and your mind, but birds are still chirping. A very lonely experience.

Comment by Susan — March 30, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

12. And as you said, scary too. Somehow, you seem to never know where you’ll “land”.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 30, 2016 @ 6:44 PM

13. I had my first (and hopefully only) tonic clonic seizure 2 weeks ago; but for years (since a major car accident in 2005 where my head was cracked opened and stapled shut) I had episodes of the overwhelming deja vu feeling, accompanied with a soundtrack in my head (never could make out what was being said but it’s always the same), along with a specific hand movement with my hands near my head kind of flapping. I had never told a doctor about those episodes kind of thought I was a little mental, but now I’ve learned those were a type of seizure.
    Sure is nice to know there are many others that experience similar events.

Comment by Judy Todd — April 18, 2016 @ 10:51 AM

14. PLEASE go to a neuro to get tested, Judy. Traumatic brain damage is nothing to take lightly.

Traumatic Brain Injury and Epilepsy

A seizure disorder can develop days, weeks, a month or even years following a brain trauma!

The risk of future seizures and traumatic epilepsy is increased by each successive seizure.

And the more severe the head trauma, the higher the risk of having seizures.

While many types of seizures may be caused by a traumatic incident, the most common are partial (focal) seizures or tonic-clonic (formerly known as grand mal) seizures.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 18, 2016 @ 2:07 PM

15. yep    jim  colaianne

Comment by James Colaianne — April 22, 2016 @ 2:20 PM

16. Wow! Reading this has answered so many long asked questions for me. I have had almost every one of these all through life and misdiagnosed with sissociative disorder and autism, but have had multiple concussions.The last ended with an emergency craniotomy and coma and resulting inTBI and Epilepsy. So many weird symptoms some I even thought of spiritual sometimes bad sometimes good. The dividing line between spirit and mind can be fuzzy. Thank you so much for putting this out there! I’m not feeling so crazy after reading it. 🙂

Comment by Jane M.C. — April 23, 2016 @ 11:44 AM

17. You know that brain injury (like concussions) can lead to seizures, too.

Head trauma caused by falls, physical abuse, violence, vehicle crashes and sporting accidents, not to mention modern warfare.

However, it’s important to realize that not all head injuries, even severe ones, result in seizures.

And seizures frequently occur in people who haven’t experienced head trauma.

But close associations do exist between head trauma and seizures — as much as twelve times as opposed to someone without a head trauma.

The difficulty of a diagnosis is that epilepsy does not typically develop immediately after head trauma.

Studies suggest that approximately 6% of patients with epilepsy have TBI as the cause. It generally depends upon how severe the head trauma is.

Traumatic Brain Injury and Epilepsy

And as you probably know, there are zillions of epilepsy auras.

A Menu of Epilepsy Auras

If yours don’t lead to full blown seizures, you’re lucky.

And I admire you for all you’ve been through, Jane.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 23, 2016 @ 12:18 PM

18. My auras seem to my me as a momentary blackout, kind of like a hiccup in length. The older I get, the scarier they become. And my neurologist does not take it as anything serious. And she is suppose to be the best in the state of Oklahoma.

Comment by Curtis McMurtrey — May 1, 2016 @ 8:16 PM

• I have had numerous EEGs and complex partial and tonic clonic seizures for about 50 years. They are also cluster. And I have a DBS.

Comment by Curtis McMurtrey — May 2, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

19. Ok. Ask her to run a diagnostic EEG on you. It should help distinguish what’s going on Curtis.

Also, if you could note the time and place of your “hiccups” and the duration, you’d be closer to figuring out a trigger which would help you both figure out what’s going on…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 1, 2016 @ 8:23 PM

20. There is life beyond EEGs. I know of people who have had 5 EEGs, only to be properly diagnosed when they finally had Video EEG Monitoring.

So if someone is trying to pass you off or is ignoring your symptoms, perhaps you should become a little more familiar with your diagnostic options…

Beyond EEGs…Diagnostic Tools for Epilepsy

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 2, 2016 @ 3:00 PM

21. Couple Saturday nights ago I had good night sleep but when I woke up I was fine then couple hours later I feel really tired that then later early in the afternoon i walked into the kitchen suddenly I felt something coming on , I was out of it , I was froze and stiff couldn’t respond , what is this ??? That i was so drained for few days plus wicked migraine with it . Also I do get all the other symptoms also , I get a lot my face feels tingling , my hearing goes down , last Thursday had seizure I woke up had a werid feeling then my body shaking for non stop for 5 minutes my boyfriend told me but it didn’t seem that long . It’s seems now it’s getting warmer getting more frequently that meds not working . I have Schizenphaly plus other few rare , that I am getting more of memory attention problems that it’s getting worse I am don’t know what I am doing sometimes these seizures didn’t start until.a year ago and they can’t pick them up on EEG due location of brain but it shows on my MRI .

Comment by Trina — June 3, 2016 @ 12:14 AM

22. Your “before seizures” are actually a Simple Partial seizure. But that’s just part of it.

It sounds like more of full blown seizures preceded by pretty violent auras.

You can have both, and people usually do. It seems like “the warning before a storm.”

Do you know what kind of seizures you have? What meds are you on? Any blood tests to find out how your meds are working?

It sounds like a trip to the neuro is due and perhaps re-evaluating your meds.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 3, 2016 @ 11:22 AM

23. No I don’t know what kind I have yet , they can’t pick them EEG he can’t figured what I am having , I am on zongrane (zosimde) I am going to see my neuro in couple weeks , only I got done is genetic testing for meds , these meds should help for my moods , that apparently I guess I might have seizures all my life not knowing and it’s gotten worse , ever since I was 17 years old that my whole left side body goes numb , that my mouth feels watery that I was misdiagnosed all these years . But also thinking had them when I was a child and never got treated for it now I am older my brain and body is very exhausted , and doctors have no clue

Comment by Trina — June 6, 2016 @ 10:33 PM

24. Are EEGs the only test you’ve had? Because many times, they’re inconclusive.

Beyond EEGs…Diagnostic Tools for Epilepsy

I think you’re moods many have been depression, which triggered your seizure activity.

It will help to see what the meds do for you.

In the meantime, you might want to document your daily activities, (emotions, too). Your sleep patterns. Plus, when you get these events and how long they last.

That may at least give you some idea of what’s going on.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 7, 2016 @ 9:45 AM

25. I have been keeping , that moods changes that one minute I am happy then I am irritated , then my head hurts and I am tired. Oh my sleep pattern is out of wack sometimes , some nights nights I don’t sleep well . I have been keep track of my bad days that I have a year worth , I have these migraines headaches they pretty much never go away have them almost every day sometimes I get few days relief , Think it has to do with my Schizenphaly rare disorder I have , I know it gets worse as when my hormones takes place that time of the month , but the neuro are concern that other factor taking place is diementia that I am only 41 years old because there are times when I am doing things I can’t renember what I am doing like when I waking across the crosswalk or when I was cooking I was keep turning off the burner off 3 times in 15 minutes period of the time . they done neurophysiology testing they notice difference , if I get any worse next few more months that I have do spect testing , don’t know these seizures are affecting me worse , but I am hoping to get more answers in 2 weeks . Believe me I have pages and pages of my medical records and notes after what I have been gone through trusting doctors . I have travel out of state to get the help I need , I have getting more answers from here and other support group then doctors , it helps me to get to the right direction

Comment by Trina — June 8, 2016 @ 12:00 AM

26. Trina, I respect you for continuing to remain upbeat, although you have an awful lot on your plate.

Your monthly seizures may be a sign of catamenial epilepsy:

Catamenial Epilepsy – Do You Have It?

As for the headaches (which I’m assuming are migraines), research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy.

And each has FDA approval for treating them together. Depakote (Divalproex Sodium) also works for both, creating a therapeutic “two-fer.”

There are also several other anti-epileptic drugs that have also been shown to lessen migraine headaches – Neurontin (Gabapentin), Keppra ( Levetiracetam) and Zonegran (Zonisamide).

However, the dose of AEDs in the treatment of migraines is usually lower than that used for epilepsy.

And cognitive therapy would definitely be a boon to your memory.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 8, 2016 @ 9:15 AM

• Is there possible I can have 2-3 types of seizures because I get them when not close to my time of month either , it seems mine can be bouncing all over , that’s why the neuro put me on zonisamide for migraines also it’s not working think he is considering gabapentin next , that he is trying treat both migraines and seizures but they are seem getting worse , like this time of year think its weather related too . I have try topamax it didn’t work , I have been working myself the congnitive memory part myself that I do lumposity and plus the dr tells I need to get oxygen flowing to my brain that I do exercise (walking fast) rate 3-4 times a week when I can . Me still trying getting answers but not giving up.

Comment by Trina — June 9, 2016 @ 3:40 PM

27. Luminosity is great and so is walking (as you know). You’re really being proactive, Trina.

As for the migraine/epilepsy connection, research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy.

And each has FDA approval for treating them together.

There are also several other anti-epileptic drugs that have also been shown to lessen migraine headaches – such as Neurontin (Gabapentin), Keppra ( Levetiracetam) and Zonegran (Zonisamide).

So, you’re on the right track, it’s just such a crap shoot. Maybe the Gabapentin will work. Hope so, very much.

Meanwhile, keep on walking and playing those brain games!

Memory Games to Boost Your Brain

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 9, 2016 @ 4:20 PM

• had other bad seizure on the weekend , hopefully get some answers this Friday and i know he did mentioned about gabapentin last time but then he mentioned about hair loss then i kinda freak out little , i might have to give a shot , on Saturday that i was feeling off all day that numb and tingling feeling all through my body ,then i decided to go to bed ,then i went lay down that suddenly i felt like i was going out of out body in and out , that my body felt like it was frozen cant respond that i coluldn’t moved , then i suddenly i feel something else going to change then i can speak out for a sec , that i ask my daughter to get her dad , she did , that he told that i was shaking so bad and also i was having hard time breathing this time around , that i know when i got out of it my body and throat hurt, that I am still sore that i cant barley moved my upper body ,that its so sore , my muscles are so tight right , thank you for responding back that it helps me what i should tell the doctor when i see him ,

Comment by Trina Gelinas — June 13, 2016 @ 4:52 PM

28. OMG…does that sound scary.

As for the Gabapentin, my husband has been taking it for many years and has every hair on his head!

Here are some tips for when you go to the neuro:

Be prepared

Make sure you keep a daily seizure diary.

As I’ve said, all of this can help your doc can get a better idea of what’s going on with you.

Also, seek input from people who may observe your seizures — including family, friends and co-workers — so that you can record information you may not know.

Bring along a family member or friend to help describe your seizures or to take notes during visits to your doctor.

They can offer support and a second pair of ears.

Sometimes it can be difficult to soak up all the information provided during your appointment.

Plus, they may remember something that you missed or forgot.

And a second set of ears along with someone else there taking notes, can be both comforting and invaluable after your visit.

And let your doc know how you’re responding to your current medications.

Be sure to share your concerns about any side effects, drug reactions, behavior changes, physical changes, trouble sleeping, loss of memory, or even brain fog.

Accurate reporting will help you and your doctor make decisions together about a treatment plan that works for you.

Come armed with questions

During your appointment, you may feel overwhelmed by the information or the doctor may be using medical mumbo jumbo terminology you don’t understand. He may even be going too fast.

If this happens, you need to let the doctor know so that he can slow down, rephrase or even write notes or draw diagrams for you if necessary.

Be persistent in asking your questions until you fully understand the explanation. If you don’t understand a diagnosis or treatment, ask more questions — take more notes.

Ask about follow-up and get a contact number so if you happen to think of more questions, or forgot something the doctor told you, you can call the office immediately and request the information.

That about covers it for my visit to the doc advice.

Good luck!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 13, 2016 @ 5:22 PM

• I always bring my husband in with me , it’s too much for most of time when I am in there when I am processing everything in , I bring my notes in also the dr always keeps my notes too so I forget he goes over them and we catch up next visit , I have been going to salt lake university hospital , so far been helpful but sometimes it’s hard when I am so far away the staff is great , I email them when things can be get too serious but sometimes I feel I am pain in the butt so I don’t do it so I wait till I see the dr , I always been a person never been a dr office until last 4 years it’s seems too much but we are still trying getting answers .A person has this all of her life never pay attention thought it was normal until gotten worse , especially abesence seizures thought I was more day dreaming or I didn’t hear them , or its normal for me feeling weird once awhile . Thank you 😀

Comment by Trina — June 13, 2016 @ 6:34 PM

29. Don’t feel like you’re being “a pain in the butt.” They’re there to answer your questions and help you through and so far it sounds like you and they are doing a very good job.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 13, 2016 @ 7:42 PM

30. My daughter has an aura with arm tingling and anxiety rush usually around the beginning of her cycle or ovulation. She is on Zonegram 500mg a day but it does not stop these. She has not had one for 3 months until today. She also suffers from severe anxiety and ptsd. Has had four grand mal from age 14 -21. Very frustrating on what to do next. We are consulting a neuropsychologist to see if there is any underlying issues. Any help or suggestions appreciated

Comment by Stephanie — July 27, 2016 @ 1:54 PM

31. Stephanie, I think these may be “Catamenial Seizures”.

Take a look at this article and see if it rings true:

Catamenial Epilepsy – Do You Have It?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 27, 2016 @ 5:18 PM

• Thank you for responding. We also think it might be pseudo seizures since she also suffers from anxiety and ptsd . She has had a full hormonal work up and it does not show significant decreases in either hormone. We are planning on seeing a neuropsychologist next Friday for testing. Do you have any suggestions of what I should ask ? Thank you, Stephanie

Comment by Stephanie Murphy — July 27, 2016 @ 5:42 PM

32. Stefanie, here’s the best advice I can give:

Be prepared

Make sure you keep a daily seizure diary. Each time a seizure occurs, write down the time, the type of seizure it was and how long it lasted.

Write down any major stresses or recent life changes that could trigger seizure activity. All of this can help your doc can get a better idea of what’s going on with your daughter.

Come armed with questions

Preparing a list of questions in advance will help you make the most of your time with your doctor. List your questions and the doctor’s answers from most important to least important in case time runs out.

Good luck. I hope you get some help and answers.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 27, 2016 @ 6:05 PM

33. I had like 3-5 seizures a while back while on my way to a gun range. Was sweating the whole way there after a while whith the AC full blast and windows downs. As soon as we pull up I black out and don’t remember a thing except waking up in the hospital. I think that was the one were i took on 4 cops two psych ward nurses and my dad after i came out of it.

Comment by Twitch — August 12, 2016 @ 10:32 AM

34. I think the heat change was a trigger…and you were actually going through the four stages of a real seizure, not just an aura by itself.

The Postictal stage was probably when you became so violent.

Maybe this article will explain it:

The Four Stages of Seizures – Prodromal, Auras, Ictal and Postictal

I hope this helps, Twitch…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 12, 2016 @ 10:56 AM

• Thanks. Hey do you know anything about why your feet would vibrate or go numb all the time

Comment by Twitch — August 12, 2016 @ 11:39 AM

35. Sorry, that’s one I can’t help you with!!! 🙂

Neuropathy maybe?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 12, 2016 @ 11:45 AM

• Dang alright thank you

Comment by Twitch — August 12, 2016 @ 11:48 AM

36. If it IS neuropathy, Gabapentin might help.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 12, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

37. My daughter experiences auras quite often. She seen dark images, sometimes goes clammy and pale. She feels as though a full seizure is about to happen and then suddenly its over and no full on seizure

Comment by hmaharris — October 3, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

38. Mmmmm. It’s like a lightening storm with no rain. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 3, 2016 @ 6:52 PM

39. Hi,

I recently wrote an article addressing this issue at length. I provide evidence from peer-reviewed journals/data to help elucidate what the connection between SIDS and temporal lobe epilepsy really is and how we can better address it. Its clear that this topic is dear to many and my conclusions are objective (as much as humanly possible. Please read the article below. Thanks 🙂

-Badmash

Comment by Badmash — October 29, 2016 @ 3:04 AM

40. Interesting article. Thanks for the link!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 29, 2016 @ 8:44 AM

41. I’ve had auras all my life but it never went to a full seizure until I was 38 now im 47 and I have had them realy bad after that first one. they dont even know whats causeing them. No medication has helped.my auras is like deja vu they make me realy sick.

Comment by randy garrett — December 6, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

42. Randy, an aura is a simple partial seizure in itself.

Sometimes this abnormal electrical activity tapers off.

At other times, it spreads and leads to severe seizures.

Auras can occur as a warning that a bigger seizure is about to happen.

And sometimes they can occur just by themselves.

What kind of testing have you had? Sometimes an EEG is not conclusive.

Beyond EEGs…Diagnostic Tools for Epilepsy

I think you need to identify your triggers:

Common Epilepsy Triggers

Weird Epilepsy Triggers…

And keep a diary of your daily activities, any stresses, what you eat, your sleep patterns and, if you can, the time and duration of your seizures.

Perhaps at least that can help you and your doc identify your triggers and narrow down the diagnosis along with further testing.

Perhaps this will help (or at least sound familiar):

A Menu of Epilepsy Auras

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 6, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

43. Ive had eeg and video eeg and the plashing light they said I was having temporal lobe seizures and I have grand mal seizures. There wanting to put the device in my chest with the wire to my nerve in my neck but it hasnt helped my nephew. Ive been hospitalized quite a few times because of them they have totally ruined my life.

Comment by randy garrett — December 6, 2016 @ 10:03 AM

44. Perhaps if you know more about the Vagus Nerve Stimulator, you’ll feel differently.

Vagus Nerve Stimulation…Is it for YOU?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 6, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

• My docter gave me a dvd packet on it I watched it I want to have my life back more then anything.maybe that would be the cure but if it dosnt work does it have to remain in your chest forever.

Comment by randy garrett — December 6, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

45. “Complete removal of vagus nerve stimulator generator and electrodes.

Removal of a vagus nerve stimulator may be desirable or even necessary due to lack of efficacy, intolerable side effects, signs of infection, or failure of the device.”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 6, 2016 @ 11:44 AM

• I asked about the electrode removal to a Neurosurgeon stated, they could not because it is Calcified to the Vagus Nerve.

Comment by red2robi — March 19, 2017 @ 8:28 PM

46. I have been hospitalized since Friday with a migraine and flurry seizures. I was out of contact. I have a lot of not knowing where I am, nausea, blurry vision. Medication changed. Learning to walk and keep my balance. Most of the time I have the aura w/ no loss of contact!!!!

Comment by red2robi — March 19, 2017 @ 8:09 PM

• Red how awful. What’s happening with you? Do they know? Is the med change working or is it too early to tell?

I’m worried about you.

I leave on holiday Tuesday AM but I’ll check in every day. (I’d give you my email, but I don’t check THAT as regularly!)

If you want to talk, call me at 610-517-7576.

Please take care and feel better.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 20, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

• Phylis,
        Epileptologist feels the other issues my body is dealing with. I want to go home , ulcer, the medication coating stomach! My BP has gone up. Dealing suddenly with migraines again. I just want to be free and sing. My vocal cords have been affected. Brother!

Comment by red2robi — March 20, 2017 @ 9:29 AM

47. What other issues does the Epileptologist is the problem?

As for the migraines: Research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy.

And each has FDA approval for treating them together.

As for the ulcer, you might try taking probiotics.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 20, 2017 @ 11:08 AM