Resources For When You Can’t Drive… | July 18, 2015

The secret here is the numbers 2-1-1.

Go to the website: http://www.211.org/. Where available, 2-1-1 allows people to give help and to get help. And it’s sponsored by the United Way.

2-1-1 can also give people who live in rural areas better access to health and human service information.

Also, check with your local Epilepsy Foundation affiliate, local churches, the Red Cross, or other nonprofit groups in your area.

Many have lists of resources or offer volunteers to help people with transportation.

And, The Epilepsy Foundation offers a state-by-state database of driving restrictions and regulations. Look up your state’s regulations .

Driver Information By State http://www.epilepsy.com/driving-laws

The Internet can become your best friend.

Order groceries by phone or on the web and have them delivered — for a price.

You can plan your meds in advance. And other necessities.

Plus you can buy just about anything, if you search the web.

So you can accomplish things, and buy things that you never could before. The world-wide web gives you that access.

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box on the right, enter your email address and click on “Follow”.

1. Thank you!!

Comment by Susan — July 19, 2015 @ 10:46 AM

2. I try to help in any way I can!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 19, 2015 @ 12:37 PM

3. Talk to your County offices/social workers!! When I had to switch to the clinics in the cities I didn’t qualify for medical transportation services (think they bill medicare) BUT County put me in touch with a volunteer driver service for medical appointments (county reimburses the drivers per/mile or whatever) outside of where I live. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 3 hour drive or 60 minute drive. As long as it’s instate.

I admit I took advantage of this last year. I had an appointment with neurology one day, and a flight out shortly after when my mom was having surgery down in Dallas that week. SO I had arranged two ONE WAY rides. A ride down for neurology. Then I took Light Rail train to the airport. When I arrived back in state about a week later I took Rail to the pain clinic appointment and had arranged a pickup for the return home. Wish I could use this service for medical conferences.

Comment by Travis — July 23, 2015 @ 1:29 PM

4. LOL! Looks like you’re learning how to use the system. I wish there was a “system” here.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 23, 2015 @ 3:05 PM

5. Uber is another provider. Also
    for a price. But not too bad. And quick to respond.

Comment by Jeff — March 23, 2017 @ 12:29 PM

• Uber is a grear idea, Jeff. Also, Lyft, another car service.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 23, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

• People look at me as someone w/ no problem! When you cannot drive and your sight isn’t to good. You depend on help. Seizures get in the way put when people clear the path! When there is a fog! Thank you! We can do anything!

Comment by red2robi — March 23, 2017 @ 1:53 PM

6. Red, I can barely drive, no less in the fog and/or the dark. In fact, even though I’m allowed to drive, I hate it.

How are you feeling?