Medication Reminders You Won’t Forget | April 6, 2014

When I was on vacation, I was so relaxed that I kept on forgetting to take my meds. More than once. So when I got home (when I was less relaxed), I looked into some things that might help.

Because, let’s face it. We all forget to take our meds. One time or another. No matter what we have to take or when we have to take them. No matter how hard we try.

Since I have to take several pills at different times a day, I put them in places where I’d have to fall over them to forget. I wish I could say it’s fool-proof, but I’d be lying.

So here are some possible solutions…

Set reminders on your smart phone. An alarm. Or a pillbox you can program with different time alarms. There are even prescription bottle devices that use light and sound to signal when it’s time to take a pill. Here are some pretty neat options that are available to you from http://www.epill.com/bestseller.html

The e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS:
It’s a pillbox that organizes all your daily pills. The box is set up with an alarm that can ring up to 37 times a day as a reminder to take your pills. If you take different meds at different times of the day, they can be organized here and reminder alarms ring at the programmed times.

How does it work?
There’s a pill tray which slides out and contains 7 compartments. Each compartment can hold up to 18 aspirin-sized tablets. To set the alarm, you simply slide a switch. The alarm will now be set up to repeat daily and can ring up to 37 times a day from 6am-12am with a switch for every hour and half hour.

It can be set for 6am, 6:30am, 7am etc… Once the alarm rings, it will sound for 10 second intervals on and off for up to 4 minutes, if the STOP button is not pressed. If your medication hasn’t been taken when the alarm sounds, a missed pill message will flash on the display.

Special features of the e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS:
1) The alarm doesn’t need to be reset because it automatically resets every night at midnight.
2) The pill tray is easy to open and the display is easy to read.
3) It has a missed pill indicator.

Specifications:
1) The size of the e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS is 6 1/4″ x 2 1/8″ x 1″ and weighs 5 oz.
2) The pill tray slides out and has 7 compartments. Each compartment holds 18 aspirin-sized tablets.
3) The product has a one-year battery life using 2 x AAA batteries (which are included with purchase).

And everyone seems to like it!

The e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS has been featured by Dr. OZ and is member tested and recommended by the National Health & Wellness Club.

And there are other versions of the e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS:
The pill-box is available in children’s versions as well as smaller versions: the e-pill 37 Alarm Multi-Alarm POCKET XL and the 37 Alarm Multi-Alarm HOME that fits on a home refrigerator.

It’s kind of hard to beat success. So, if you want to purchase the e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS, simply go to e-pill Medication Reminders at http://www.epill.com or call (800) 549-0095.

(By the way, I researched pill reminders seven ways to Sunday and all websites pointed to one solution: the e-pill Multi-Alarm PLUS. So I guess they must be doing something right!)

If you come across some other options that you think work better, please, sing out…

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. I have the alarm on my phone set for 7am and 7pm and all my pills in a weekly pill box by my bed. I’ve been doing so much fiddling with my meds over the last couple of years I just couldn’t keep track of what I was supposed to be increasing and what I was supposed to be decreasing! I would have been all over the place had it not been for my alarm and setting up my weekly meds in advance.

Comment by bardotbarbiturate — April 6, 2014 @ 2:53 PM

• I had a serious problem messing up. Unwittingly, I was taking different doses of Lamictal at unspecified times.

The result, as blood tests proved, was that I was below the therapeutic level by 50%. And other stuff was messed up.

Now my husband (bless him) is in charge of filling my pill containers and he’s my “personal reminder.”

Because, when I screw up, he’s the one who ultimately faces the consequences! 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 6, 2014 @ 5:52 PM

2. I keep meds where I am likely to be at the time when I need to take them. SOme by my bed, another stash in the kitchen to take while I am cooking. When I travel-keep meds in 2-3 places. Purse, backpack, and where I happen to sleep. I never put meds in-checked luggage.

Comment by Janet Yagoda — April 6, 2014 @ 5:46 PM

3. Janet, I wish I was as diligent as you. But at least, I don’t put my meds in my luggage.

Do I get a good grade for at least one intelligent action? 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 6, 2014 @ 6:16 PM

4. Cell alarm works great for me. If I am going to be out when the dose is to be taken I put the dose in a day tray so I have it on me. Same if I have a days appointment in the cities.

Comment by Travis — April 6, 2014 @ 10:36 PM

5. That’s the round of meds I miss most often…When 5:00 turns to 6:00 and I become a pumpkin.

And Arthur’s not exactly glued to my hip to remind me! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 7, 2014 @ 11:39 AM

6. So true, we all miss dosages, no matter how perfectly we try. I have my iphone set for 1pm and 7pm, the morning pills i don’t have a reminder, since i’m pretty diligent on take those, except for the weekends when i like to sleep in and then everything is messed up. Actually i’m pretty automatic to wake up at 6am or earlier. Sleeping in nowadays is like sleeping till 6:3o am. I have one of those day of week pill holders, that i fill once a week with meds. In the evenings,i find i still forget to take the pill, even with the phone alarm, since i’m busy cooking or talking on phone or just being on the computer. So i now have the pill container in one place, where i know i still have to take it. After taking it i move the pill container to another place, which signifies my taking the even med.

Even with all the precautions, i still manage to forget. Noon time too if i’m very busy. Not often, but it happens every now and then.

Comment by Zolt — April 7, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

7. Well, that sounds more organized than me.

As a writer, you’d expect me to be in the same place at the same time as my meds.

But once I’m focused, the house could blow up and I wouldn’t notice, unless my internet and server went down!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 7, 2014 @ 6:21 PM

8. The only downside of vacation; once I break routine am thrown for days, as well!

Comment by Vivacia K. Ahwen — April 10, 2014 @ 2:28 AM

9. I missed my pills 3 TIMES! 🙂

And I’m not uneven unpacked yet.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 11, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

10. I have a phone, a DUMBphone, that has a med reminder alarm. so I haven’t missed my mid day meds, that I used to miss frequently, since I’ve had the alarm set.

Comment by Alan Bishop — April 27, 2014 @ 9:07 PM

11. Well, goes to show, YOU can be smarter than a dumb phone! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 28, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

12. my husband calls me from three times a day to tell me to take my meds

Comment by pooterbear — July 25, 2017 @ 7:33 PM

• Get a medical reminder or a smart watch to allay his fears.

I’m sure he’s doing it out of love and concern.

Just hand the job to someone (something) else! 🙂