Anti-Epilepsy Medication Side-Effects | September 7, 2011

They’re necessary but not necessarily nice. And every med has its own side-effects. Just as different people experience different difficulties. But here‘s the low-down on the possible side-effects. I hope you don’t have to suffer any of them. (Or as few as possible.)

Ativan (lorazepam) — drowsiness, sleepiness, fatigue, poor coordination, unsteadiness, behavior changes.

Banzel (rufinamide) — loss of appetite, vomiting, dizziness, headache, fatigue, irritability, attention difficulty, double vision, itchiness, stomach pain. People who have a heart rhythm irregularity, should not take Banzel.

Carbatrol (extended release carbamazepine) — dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, blurred or double vision, skin rashes, abnormal blood counts (rare).

Depakote (depakene, valproate, valproic acid) — dizziness, nausea, vomiting, tremor, hair loss, weight gain, depression in adults, irritability in children, reduced attention, and a decrease in thinking speed. Over the long term, the drug can cause bone thinning, swelling of the ankles, irregular menstrual periods. More rare and dangerous effects include hearing loss, liver damage, decreased platelets (clotting cells), and pancreas problems.

Diamox (acetazolamide) — appetite loss, frequent urination, drowsiness, confusion, extremity numbness, kidney stones.

Diastat acudial (diazepam rectal gel) — drowsiness, sleepiness, fatigue, dizziness, headache, pain, diarrhea, rash, nervousness, slowed speech, poor
coordination, unsteadiness, behavior changes.

Dilantin (phenytoin) — moderate cognitive problems, slurred speech, confusion, hallucinations, mood or behavior changes, hyperactivity (mentally or physically), unsteadiness, dizziness, fatigue, gum overgrowth, potential body/face hair growth, skin problems, bone problems (osteoporosis), suicide thoughts or attempts. Plus, Dilantin can cause a rare and dangerous rash called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

Felbatol (felbamate) — anorexia, vomiting, insomnia, nausea, headache, dizziness, vision problems, poor coordination, tremor, mood changes, anxiety, depression, liver and blood toxicity. (If you are taking it, have blood cell counts and liver tests regularly.

Frisium (clobazam) — weakness, drowsiness, dizziness, poor coordination, drooling, restlessness, aggressiveness, anxiety, increased heart rate, tremor, addictive. (Not sold in the United States.)

Gabitril (tiagabine) — nausea, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, tremor, nervousness, difficulty concentrating, irritability, anxiety, and confusion.

Hp Acthar Gel (acth [adrenocorticotropic hormone]) — insomnia, increased appetite, weight gain, irritability, fluid retention. Sleepiness, fatigue, poor coordination, loss of strength, dizziness.

Keppra (levetiracetam) Well we all know about “Keppra Rage” but here, too, is a list of common Keppra side effects — dizziness; drowsiness; irritability; sore throat; tiredness; weakness. Not to mention abnormal thoughts, decreased coordination, extreme dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness; hallucinations, memory loss, muscle or neck pain; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, apathy, depression, hostility, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); new or worsening seizures; suicidal thoughts or attempts.

Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (Diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam) — drowsiness, loss of appetite, poor coordination, unsteadiness, mood and behavior changes, addiction.

Lamictal (lamotrigine) — dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache, blurred vision, clumsiness. Also, in rare cases, Lamictal can cause Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which poses a dangerous risk if not treated immediately.

Lyrica (pregabalin) — weight gain, swelling of hands and feet, nausea, sleepiness, blurred or double vision, dry mouth, difficulty concentrating, confusion, dizziness, weakness, tremor.

Mysoline (primidone) — clumsiness, unsteadiness, vertigo, dizziness, appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, irregular eye movements, blurred or double vision, hyperirritability, insomnia, depression, hyperactivity (children).

Neurontin (gabapentin) — weight gain, ankle swelling, fatigue, dizziness, clumsiness, twitching.

Onfi (clobazam) – mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, muscle spasms, irritably, agitation, aggressiveness, restlessness, hyperactivity, depression.

Times New Roman Phenobarbital (luminal) — drowsiness, dizziness, upset stomach, anemia, rash, fever, vitamin folic acid deficiency, low calcium levels, bone loss, irritability, depression, hyperactivity (children), difficulty concentrating, memory problems, slurred speech, decreased sexual interest, mildly addictive.

Phenytek (extended phenytoin sodium) — constipation, dizziness, headache, nausea, trouble sleeping, vomiting, high blood sugar, clumsiness, confusion, jerking movements of the eyes, decreased coordination, shaking hands, slowed thinking, movement, memory problems, slurred speech, poor concentration, new or worsening mental or mood changes, seizures.

Rufinamide (inovelon) — headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, sleepiness, double vision, balance problems. Newly approved by the FDA.

Sabril (vigabatrin) — headache dizziness, tremor, blurry vision, vision loss, abnormal MRIs, anemia, sleepiness, numbness of extremities, weight gain, swelling, fluid retention, hyperactivity, memory impairment, constipation, diarrhea, urinary tract infection, upper respiratory tract infection, poor coordination, joint pain. Newly approved by the FDA.

Tegretol (carbamazepine, carbatrol) Tegretol XR (extended release carbamazepine) — dizziness, sleepiness, unsteadiness, drowsiness, blurred or double vision, headache, nausea, skin rashes, abnormal blood counts, bone and liver problems. (You must be tested for toxicity regularly.)

Topamax (topiramate) — weight loss, nausea, sleepiness, dizziness, tingling skin, clumsiness, unsteadiness, confusion, nervousness, difficulty thinking or talking, speech, memory and vision problems, feeling of pins and needles in fingertips and toes, depression, memory difficulty, psychiatric disorders.

Tranxene (clorazepate) — drowsiness, sleepiness, fatigue, poor coordination, unsteadiness, behavior change.

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) — difficulty concentrating, sleepiness, fatigue, dizziness, double vision, nausea, headache, unsteadiness, loss of coordination, rash, low blood sodium.

Vimpat (lacosamide) — dizziness, unsteadiness, shakiness, headache, nausea, vomiting, double vision, blurred vision, drowsiness, diarrhea, falling, unintentional rapid eye movement, tremor, memory mood problems.  (In rare cases, Vimpat may affect internal organs, blood counts or heart rhythm.)

Zarontin (ethosuximide) — appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, drowsiness, headache, dizziness, fatigue, double vision, memory, mood problems.

Zonegran (zonisamide) — sleepiness, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache, nausea, irritability, difficulty concentrating, poor coordination, tremor, speech problems, unsteadiness, fever, itching, vision problems, kidney stones, abdominal discomfort. (Should not be used in individuals allergic to sulfa drugs).

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. I’ve always noticed how most medications create more problems than they prevent. But then some of the side effects can only be taken with a grain of salt. Because years ago Dilantin(phenytoin) had alot more side effects.
    One was “liver/kidney damage”.

And then there’s Phenobarbital. “mildly” addictive?
    I’d think you was either addicted or you wasn’t.
    I took it for decades and never had a craving for it. In fact, I was happy to get off of it.

Comment by mkfarnam — September 7, 2011 @ 6:57 PM

2. I’m on Phenobarbital. My last GP & Neuro considered it More than Mildly Addictive. Considering we Have to take our meds everyday, preferably same time everyday, it is Bound to become ‘habit-forming’. So, in a sense I have 2 addictions. 🙂

I’ve read most of this Info over the Yrs. But, seeing it all together & reading it again, I can understand, once more, Why people are Scared to take their prescribed medication.

But, a bit Tip for those who do take these meds. Good Nutrition Helps your meds work properly &&&& Can, in some cases, diminish/alleviate some side effects.

Love Candi

Comment by candi — September 7, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

• It’s sort of like being between a rock and a hard edge.

But, good nutrition, is a good point and great advice.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 7, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

3. I was first on Dilantin and found out I was allergic to it. Then on Phenobarbital which Iloved. My parents thought I was a little slow but my seizures were around but only occured once every other month. The doctors put me in the trial drug of Tegretol! Wow that helped a lot until 20 years later they kept coming up w/ problems w/ it. I finally had problems w/ clotting w/ it and now do not take it.
    I now take Keppra XR 6000 mg. which to me is a whopper. I have trouble swallowing and my stomach is burning up! I also take Zonegran 100 mg totally 400 mg a day. A lot of people take a lot more and I respect them but now that I have read this I do not feel so dumb

Comment by Toni Robison — September 7, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

4. Thank you for this helpful list. I know my extreme drowsiness is due to Dilantin and Depakote. So far so good regarding liver. The Depakote is, however, causing tremors, and I’m experiencing balance problems.

Comment by Maggie — September 8, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

• Is there anything that can relieve the tremors and balance problems, or does that go along with the drowsiness?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 8, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

5. The doctor’s ruled me out on that w/ Tegretol. I was seeing a Hemetologist for a period of time. Steven-Johnsons has been a challenge on 2 meds. I have been on.

Balance is a problem for most of us! I know for me!
    Depakote, I had problem w/ hair loss. Each patient has different challenges.

Keeping a good diet. Being busy and a good exercise! Really helps.

Thanks Phylis!

Comment by Toni Robison — September 8, 2011 @ 2:51 AM

6. I’m a clutz. You’re not alone.

I had to cut off my long, thick, beautiful hair when I was a teen, thanks to Dilantin. It’s been short and curly ever since to compensate.

But as you and Candi pointed out: diet, exercise and just being productive certainly helps.

And SLEEP! (I’m saying this on 4 hours of sleep.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 8, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

7. What’s a “good diet”?

Comment by mkfarnam — September 9, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

8. depends on individuals needs- dietician is usually helpful. I found out I needed specific nutrients. Either by taking a pill or eating it. I asking a dietician. Her answer kept being fresh vegetables. (brocolli ex.), protein, meat or beans( black, kidney beans) frsh fruit too. bread. The exercise initial started slowly for me and then it is great when I am slow or grumpy or not quiet feely well walking makes me feel better! Its a pick me up. Walking is great! I have had sz when I walk but we have them everywhere anyway. I go on and being outside there are so many scenes.
    I have lost weight and mentally it has helped.

Comment by Toni Robison — September 9, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

9. I am having a problem that the medication may be causing an ulcer. See doc on Monday. Nutritionist told me protein and my husband the pharmacologist told me it was the large dosage level that was causing the problem. He told me to change Epi’s. He said I was still having seizures but the nutritionist is helping me eat right! I want to cry!
    I think the doctor is trying to help but it hurts in my stomach! She has not addressed it. She does not note the swallowing problem but that comes and goes.
    I am a little sore now and writing this to you all thank you!

Comment by Toni Robison — September 10, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

10. Try Prevacid. (Available by Rx only.)

When I moved to this house, I had bleeding ulcers. (You would think after 15 moves, I’d get the hang of it!)

Conversely, Arthur the Naturalist, would suggest probiotics because they only kill the bad bacteria and not the good. (The bad bacteria is what’s doing all the damage. The good bacteria helps you to better digest your food.)

The probiotic that he’s especially fond of is Flora Source because he just finished exhaustive research on it before writing a promotional package.

If you’re interested, Arthur will try to get you a promotional code from the company for a discount. I’ll email it to you…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 10, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

11. I take a super probiotic complex 10 billion CFU daily. My asthma started in recently too. I am back on meds, too. I do not want any more. I will see someone Monday.

Comment by Toni Robison — September 10, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

12. I was on depicote and half my hair fell out. Then i took dilantin for 10 years and developed Malabsorption and seized heavily unaware of the condition the hospital overdosed me into a ventilator in the ICU. I have had bad luck with medication, depression, anxiety, withdrawl, bad thoughts and haunting nightmares.

Comment by illegallyinsanegirl — September 16, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

13. Well, my hair fell out and I got galloping gum rot, thanks to Dilantin.

Have you ever tried Lamictal? (You have to titrate slowly because of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.)

At its lowest level, Lamictal is an anti-depressant. At its next level, it’s an anti-depressant AND an anti-seizure med. And the highest level it’s for bi-polar.

As far as the hospital misdiagnosing you…sometimes they use Dilantin or Pheno to stabilize a seizure. That’s what happened to me…it was Pheno. Then the ventilator, etc.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 16, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

14. I had been taken to the hospital about 9 times until I had a seizure where I stopped breathing and almost died. The reason this a problem is because the hospital continuously accused me of not taking my medication. Again this was due to dilantin malabsortion that can be brought on if it is used for many years.
    I was taking my medication and it was in my liver so when I was brought in after convulsing 2 times equally in a 30 minute seizure. I akmost died becouse they didnt want to belive me. Go figure! lol DOCTORS?

Comment by illegallyinsanegirl — September 16, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

15. Didn’t they check your damn blood levels?

Yes, I almost died also. I had a heart attack from the constant cascade of seizures. They did the paddles and everything seemed fine. But a little latter…boom! Another heart attack. I guess that’s when they induced a coma and put me on life support.

As for medications losing their effectiveness, you might want to read this: Anti-epilepsy drugs lose effectiveness over time…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 16, 2011 @ 10:09 PM

16. They did check it. It said the dilantin was low. It was being stored in my liver and pancreas.

Comment by illegallyinsanegirl — September 16, 2011 @ 11:10 PM

17. I have not been getting any emails from you. I miss everyone.

I am in bad shape. According to this, it must be my Keppra. I have been falling down, having more seizures, etc.. I have had seizures, hitting my head twice in the shower, against the tile.

My neurologist has added one more Lamictal to the mix. I know I am on too many meds.

My neurologist now says that I have to use my walker constantly. When I asked him about housework, he told me that I could not do any more housework.

Help!!

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 21, 2011 @ 1:55 AM

• I know that my experience with Lamictal (coupled with Klonopin) has been very successful. But everyone is different and it depends on what you’re taking it with and any drug interactions.

Also, the drugs may be working against one another…

Has your doctor looked at your full, most recent list?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 21, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

18. Ruth that sounds awful! I had that one time w/ Tegretol and then they came to the conclusion I was on to much!
    When medication amts. were in question in the past they used to do blood test. To check your chem levels, your med. levels and your blood counts. If my seizures were out of control the monitoring unit was next and change of meds. MRI etc.

Protocol has changed since I have worked gee! I pray things cool down for you. 🙂

Comment by Toni Robison — September 21, 2011 @ 2:30 AM

19. I was taken off of Tegretol, too. He has been doing the blood tests.

When my seizures are out of control, he just adds more meds. Now he is telling me to rest a lot. That is not good.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 21, 2011 @ 3:28 AM

• That’s like putting a band-aid on a major hemorrhage!

But it’s good that, at least, you’re getting blood tests.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 21, 2011 @ 2:38 PM

20. I got that too! Rest alot!! That’s what the sedatives do!
    Klonopin is an example!

My one doctor when I was in status had me under anesthesia. Rest!! It sounds dull but I caught up on the books I hadn’t read! 🙂

Ruth you are a good KID 🙂 This to shall pass 🙂

Comment by Toni Robison — September 21, 2011 @ 4:10 AM

21. They put me in a coma. How’s that for “resting”? 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 21, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

22. I have been on Topiramate (genTopamax) after discovering I was allergic to Lamotrigine. I seem to only have seizures while sleeping, and the meds have helped, but I agree with the article- I have noticed side effects such as difficulty thinking or talking, speech, etc. Often times I will talk with someone and say, “What’s the word i’m looking for, it means ….. ummm, darn, grrr….”

Comment by Elizabeth A — October 2, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

• Aren’t meds great? Can’t live with them, can’t live without them. Although anything’s better than having Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

And everyone’s so different. I’m happily chugging along with Lamictal. Some complain of being cognitively compromised and having memory problems. If I do, I sure don’t remember! 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 2, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

23. i’m on topamax. have been for a few years. and have recently been having suicidal thoughts. I have done some research and got on the johnson&johnson website and it is one of the side effects for topamax also. just thought you might want to know so you could add it to the list if you wanted. Its a scary feeling. going to talk to my dr next week. thanks for your time.

Comment by nikki — October 7, 2011 @ 3:29 AM

24. I am not seeing the side-effects I experienced with Lamictal. I was on the drug for 13 years and I am still on a low dose. The drug hijacked my personality. I experienced anxiety, insomnia, and many troublesome personality changes. I lost joy, had difficulty connecting with people and my cup was always half empty. One of the great things about my emotional make-up is natural optimism and joy about life. Aside from monthly PMS, I was not plagued with emotional difficulties, until 13 years ago when I went on Lamictal. Since I was altered emotionally, it was hard for me to see how much the drug was impacting my personality. Now I am incredibly happy again. I will never go back on this drug. If necessary, I would take queasiness over personality changes any day!

Comment by Polly Pierce — October 14, 2011 @ 9:55 PM

25. Wow! Look at what I just found…Knowing The Lamictal Side Effects

“Lamictal is used for treatment of epilepsy, bipolar disorder or manic depression, and bipolar depression.

Lamictal is also use for treatment of depersonalization disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar II disorders, borderline personality disorder, and as adjunctive therapy for treatment of refractory unipolar depression.

The same as other medicines, it is very possible that lamictal acquires side effects, but not all who takes this medicine will encounter side effects. The truth with this is that, mostly of the people endure quite well.

Once the side effects do experience, in most of the situations, they are minor and wither needs no treatment or are easily cured even by yourself and your doctors.

Lamictal has undergone diverse studies. On these studies, the side effects that happen in a group of individuals who takes the drug are documented and match up to side effects that happen in another group of individuals who did not take the medicine.

Through this means, it is very probable to view what side effects takes place, how frequently they come out, and how they are matched up to a group of people do not take the medicine.

Base from the studies below are the most usual lamictal side effects that occur;
    Double vision – experience by 49 percent of people
    Dizziness – occurs to 54 percent of people
    Problems in coordination – encountered by 28 percent of people
    Headaches – happens to 29 percent of people
    Nausea – experience by 25 percent of people
    Blurred vision – occur to 25 percent of people
    Vomiting – encounter by 20 percent of people

The other usual lamictal side effects that happen from 5 up to 20 percent of people are irritated or runny nose, cough, drowsiness, abdominal pain, sore throat, shakiness, back pain, insomnia, fatigue, weakness, indigestion, bronchitis, flu, diarrhea, dry mouth, painful menstrual cramps, fever, chest pain, weight loss and constipation.

There are also side effects that occur not that often but are considered serious and needs to be reported to the doctors immediately. The lamictal side effects that need to be monitored are worsening of the seizure, any uncommon bleeding or bruising, anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, symptoms of aseptic meningitis like fever and chills, stiff neck, headaches, lamictal rash, confusion or drowsiness, sensitivity to light, nausea and vomiting.

Furthermore, lamictal side effects that are unusual but serious are signs of liver damage like the yellow skin and eyes, serious muscle pain, often infection, signs of hazardous allergic reaction which includes fever, hives or whatever rash, painful sores in or around the eyes and mouth and swelling of the tongue, and lips.

Lamictal can cause very severe skin rashes and allergic reactions. These rashes are able to cause huge patch of the skin to die and is able to cause disfigurement or even loss of life.

There are as well as less common lamictal side effects that might occur. These side effects are encountered by less then 5 percent of people that take the medicine.

Due to these side effects are not that frequent, it can be hard to identify whether they are definitely caused by lamictal or by other factors that are not connected to the medication. The less usual side effects are problems in speech, vaginal irritation and infection, problems in focusing, bladder infection, loss of appetite, sinus infection, joint pain, sensitivity to the sun, neck pain, loss of memory, nervousness, bloody nose, sweating, a spinning sensation, weight gain, dry skin, migraine headaches and increased sex drive.

Hence, these are the side effects that are incorporated in taking lamictal. To avoid experiencing any severe problem, consult your doctor if any of these severe side effects occur.”

Whew. (Obviously translated from a foreign language!) To read the article go to: http://www.lamictalsideeffects.org/

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 14, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

26. Here’s some challenging cases

NOTE: Phylis, if you feel this would be better on another thread, please move it there.

These Challenging Cases are excerpted from 110 Puzzling Cases of Epilepsy, edited by Dieter Schmidt, MD, and Steven C. Schachter, MD (Martin Dunitz, Publisher, London, 2002).

Left Arm and Leg Shaking in a Patient with a History of Treated Syphilis – By Daniel J Brotman and Majid Fotuhi
    The Value of Diagnostic Persistence – By Gregory L Krauss
    Syncope In A Patient With Temporal Lobe Epilepsy – By Professor Paolo Tinuper
    Seizure Relapse 13 Years After Successful Surgery – By John R Gates
    If At First You Don’t Succeed … – By Andrew N. Wilner, MD
    Attacks of Rising Sensations, Pallor and Loss of Consciousness – By Torbjörn Tomson, MD
    Epileptic Falls Due to the Heart – By Steven C. Schachter, MD

Comment by mkfarnam — October 15, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

27. I was in a drug study and they had a protocol of doing a MRI and EKG and he noted I had fallen and did a complete CT. He told me later that the MRI indicated my abnormality or cause of my seizures. I am out of the study now but on a medication that controls my seizures the best.

It occurred during gestation around 7 to 9 weeks and that is why my other surgeries did not cure my seizures it was in my ventricle not my temporal lobe as initially thought. The newer MRI’s are an improvement.

Comment by Toni Robison — October 15, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

28. Topamax& trileptal can cause kidney and liver damage over time.

Comment by vickieroy — December 16, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

• Just what we need on top of everything else.

But tell me, what doesn’t have side-effects? (They claim the new Vimpat — Lacosamide — doesn’t, but only time will tell.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 16, 2011 @ 7:19 PM

29. The Neurologist that saw me in the ER is seeing me today. Taking less Keppra has helped. He put on Klonopin which I have taken in the past. I am still on Zonegran100 mg 2 twice a day.
    The GI doctor has me on Carafate, Zantac, and dexilant
    along w/ zofran and phenergan.

I finally can eat! I just want to walk and not be so yucky!

Comment by Toni — December 16, 2011 @ 4:36 PM

30. I’ve found Klonopin really helpful at night.

And when I had my bleeding ulcers, I was on Carafate. (Boy, does that taste awful!)

Hope you’re finding some relief Toni. You’ve been through way too much.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 16, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

31. Thanks! Phylis,

I went to the Neurologist and he was to busy and my stomach was killing me and he said it will get better. I took the Carafate. I went to another doctors office and had a seizure.
    Right now I want to cry!

Has anyone had this much discomfort and still try to act normal. The Neurologist said I want you on Tegretol XR now. That would be 3 drugs. I mentally say no!

I do not want anything else in my stomach.

Comment by Toni — December 17, 2011 @ 12:56 AM

• Your neuro was TOO busy? Excuse me. Is this because it’s not neurological, SO HE DOESN’T CARE?

Well, the Carafate has nothing to do with the seizures. I know this may seem a little radical to you, but have you considered probiotics? They minimize the bad bacteria to make room for the good stuff…those friendly bacteria.

I’ve been taking them for years (no ulcers, presto!) and it helps. Take a look at the look at the link http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=probiotics%20women

If you seriously want them…Arthur can get you a discount code from Flora Source, a new pro biotic supplement he’s writing for. (That’s what we’re taking, obviously.)

I have nothing against drugs (between chronic depression and epilepsy, I certainly have my fill) but supplements are meant to do just that. Supplement, not replace. (Although, sometimes they are effective with replacing drugs.)

Don’t cry. We’re here with you, all the way…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2011 @ 2:27 AM

32. I say….if the previou medication aren’t working, why continiue with it?

Here’s a question everyone should ask when new meds are added with meds that don’t work.

“Is the new medication for the purpose of helping the patient….or helping the previous medication?”

Comment by mkfarnam — December 17, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

33. I was having swallowing issues! I have my probiotics which are great! If that will settle the stomach great! I was using them for diarrhea and it worked!

I don’t have it anymore! I will take you up on the stomach issues

Comment by Toni — December 17, 2011 @ 3:56 AM

• If you want me to get the Flora Source probiotics for you, just email me and I’ll get Arthur to get the discount code from the client.

(They’re pretty expensive, anyway you look at it. But the end results are well worth it!!!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2011 @ 6:20 PM

34. Your article provides established helpful to me. It’s very
    useful and you really are certainly very educated in this area.

You have got popped our sight for you to different thoughts about this particular subject matter
    along with intriquing, notable and strong articles.

Comment by www.sunan-ampel.ac.id — May 12, 2013 @ 11:13 PM

35. Thanks Susan. There are many other articles, either listed in the right column or in the archives.

If you’ve looking for something specific, try the search bar.

Glad to be of help!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 13, 2013 @ 7:28 AM

36. Reblogged this on Embracing Change and commented:
    It is always nice to read someone other than myself chiming in on this subject. I’ve been on at least 9 of the drugs listed here and absolutely relate to the side effects. They are evil and they steal our lives. It is exactly as she says…necessary but not necessarily nice.

Comment by Gatewood Campbell — October 31, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

37. I take 2 carbartol, 2 lamictal, 3 ativan also for anxistey every day.

Comment by michele metzger — July 12, 2016 @ 7:40 PM

38. Well, that’s better than 14 pills every day!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 12, 2016 @ 8:15 PM