Protect Your Access to Natural Supplements! | July 14, 2011

The Dietary Supplement Labeling Act pretends to be consumer-oriented, but instead will give the FDA redundant power that it could easily misuse, restricting your access to nutritional supplements and raising the cost of buying them.

In short, nutritional supplements will be regulated like prescription drugs…

Under this bill, the FDA and the Institute of Medicine must compile a list of dietary ingredients that could lead to adverse events or are otherwise deemed risky in some way. Creating a list of “bad” ingredients or “bad” doses completely based on arbitrary or non-existent standards is a slippery slope; for example, in Europe, the maximum dosage of vitamins was restricted to less than what is found in fruits and vegetables.

Moreover, almost all of this act’s provisions are already covered by existing laws, so there’s no need for any new legislation. Please oppose the Dietary Supplement Labeling Act.

Take action now!  http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Agl2e/zlwT/Sfcf

1. I did sign but only because I was able to send a message stating that I DID NOT! want them or ANY 3rd parties sending me ANYTHING!
    Sorry, I don’t trust these online sites because once you agree with their policy, you agree to allow 3rd parties turn your inbox into a spam library. My AIM.com inbox is filled right now.

Back to the topic at hand.

Comment by mkfarnam — July 15, 2011 @ 3:52 AM

2. what suppliments are important, in additional to multivitamin?

Comment by jennifer schnegg — July 15, 2011 @ 1:14 PM

3. I don’t know about stuffed green peppers but I LOVE roasted red peppers. I’m coming to dinner next time!

Here’s some nutritional info…

“Bell pepper is not only an excellent source of carotenoids, but also a source of over 30 different members of the carotenoid nutrient family. A recent study from Spain took a close look vitamin C, vitamin E, and six of these carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin) in all commonly eaten foods and found that only two vegetables contained at least two-thirds of all the listed nutrients. One of these foods was tomato, and the other was sweet bell pepper! Bell pepper alone provided 12% of the total zeaxanthin found in the participants’ diets. (Bell pepper also provided 7% of the participants’ total vitamin C intake.)”

“However, higher heat cooking can damage some of the delicate phytonutrients in bell peppers. In one recent study from Turkey, the effects of grilling on sweet green bell peppers were studied with respect to one particular phytonutrient–the flavonoid called luteolin. Prior to grilling, the bell peppers were found to contain about 46 milligrams/kilogram of this important antioxidant and anti-inflammatory flavonoid. After grilling for 7-8 minutes at a temperature of 150°C (302°F), about 40% of the luteolin was found to be destroyed. This loss of luteolin from higher heat cooking is one of the reasons we like cooking methods for bell peppers that use lower heat for a very short period of time.”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 15, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

• I also fix “fried green tomatoes”

Comment by mkfarnam — July 15, 2011 @ 8:08 PM

• and “Potatoe/Avacado Salad”

Comment by mkfarnam — July 15, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

4. Here’s the scoop on avocados:

There are 13 vitamins that the body absolutely needs: vitamins A, C, D, E, K and the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12 and folate). Avocados naturally contain many of these vitamins.

•MONOUNSATURATED FATS (3g per serving) – Helps to lower blood cholesterol if used in place of saturated fats.

•VITAMIN K (6.3 mcg/8% DV per serving) – Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays an important role in blood clotting. It is known as the clotting vitamin, because without it blood would not clot. Some studies indicate that it helps in maintaining strong bones in the elderly.

•FOLATE (27 mcg/6% DV per serving) – Promotes healthy cell and tissue development. This is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth such as infancy and pregnancy. Folate is also essential for metabolism of homocysteine and helps maintain normal levels of this amino acid.

•POTASSIUM (152 mg/4% DV per serving) – In the body, potassium is classified as an electrolyte. Potassium is a very important mineral to the human body. It has various roles in metabolism and body functions and is essential for the proper function of all cells, tissues, and organs: It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance; assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism; and, it is necessary for the building of muscle and for normal body growth.

•VITAMIN E (.590 mg/4% DV per serving) – A fat-soluble vitamin that acts as an antioxidant that protects the body tissue from damage caused by unstable substances called free radicals. Free radicals can harm cells, tissues, and organs. They are believed to play a role in certain conditions associated with aging. Vitamin E is important in the formation of red blood cells and helps the body use vitamin K. At lower levels, vitamin E may help protect the heart. Vitamin E also plays a role in healthy skin and hair.

•LUTEIN (81 mcg) – A carotenoid (a natural pigment) that may be associated with a lower risk of eye diseases. Lutein is an important antioxidant that may help your eyes stay healthy while maintaining the health of your skin. It provides nutritional support to your eyes and skin and has been linked to promoting healthy eyes through reducing the risk of macular degeneration, the leading cause of blindness in adults 65 years of age and older.

•MAGNESIUM (9.0 mg/2% DV per serving) –An essential mineral for human nutrition. Magnesium in the body serves several important functions: Contraction and relaxation of muscles; Function of certain enzymes in the body; Production and transport of energy; and Production of Protein.

•VITAMIN C (2.6 mg/4% DV per serving) –A water-soluble vitamin that is necessary for normal growth and development. Vitamin C is one of many antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that block some of the damage caused by free radicals, which are by-products that result when our bodies transform food into energy. Vitamin C is required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels.

•VITAMIN B6 (0.086 mg/4% DV per serving) –A water-soluble vitamin. Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water. The body cannot store them. That means you need a continuous supply of such vitamins in your diet. Vitamin B6 helps the immune system produce antibodies. Antibodies are needed to fight many diseases. Vitamin B6 helps maintain normal nerve function and form red blood cells. The body uses it to help break down proteins. The more protein you eat, the more vitamin B6 you need.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 15, 2011 @ 9:44 PM

• Guacamole is sounding real good right now. I haven’t had any good Guacamole since I moved North. The avacado’s in the stores up here are so small and expensive. We used to get some big un’s off our tree down South.

Comment by Charlie — July 16, 2011 @ 11:54 PM

5. It is very important to let your doctors know what OTC that you are taking when it comes to supplements. My doctors always ask me and what dosage I am taking.

They say that even though that they are healthy for me, they can cause interactions with our meds. So far, my doctor’s have approved of my vitamin and mineral supplements.

If the FDA regulates them, my doctors will give me a prescription for them. I will not sign the form. I am neutral when it comes to government laws and regulations.

Do your doctor’s know what minerals and vitamins you are on, besides natural foods?.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 22, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

6. Yes, I have everything on my “Meds” list which is in my computer, so I can easily update it and print it out.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 22, 2011 @ 4:47 PM