CT Scans: Reassuring or Risky? | November 30, 2010

This comes from NPR News:

CT radiology was used 16.2 million times in 2007 to diagnose everything from headaches, stomach aches, back pain, chest pain and the like. That was a huge increase from 1995 when it was used 2.7 million times, according to a new paper published online in the journal Radiology.

David Larson, a radiologist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and author of the study, says that the CT scan is more popular in part because it’s getting harder for doctors to decide when not to do it. “Because it’s so widely available, because the images are so exquisite, there’s the temptation to use it for anything,” he says. The findings also suggest, he adds, that  “we may be heading toward overutilization or inappropriate utilization.”

Some studies have increased concern about radiation exposure and other problems from overuse. One recent study (see link below), revealed that the risk of getting cancer from a single CT scan could be as high as 1 in 80!

In fact, the federal government recently warned consumers to avoid hospitals that lean too heavily on devices that can expose you to radiation and other risks…

To find out the full facts, go to:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/11/29/131672910/tough-to-say-no-to-ct-scans-in-emergency-rooms?ft=1&f=1001  and  http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/07/08/128384853/uncle-sam-says-avoid-excessive-medical-scans

1. Everytime I go to the ER, they give me a CTscan.

Not on my whole body, just on one part. With me it is my brain.

Comment by Ruth Brown — December 5, 2010 @ 3:09 AM

2. Only had one. After 1st seizure in the Air Force. It showed a shadow on my brain. No one ever explained That to me. But, all MRI’s have been Clear, so guess it wasn’t Important??? 😦 Love Candi

Comment by Candi — December 5, 2010 @ 10:56 PM

3. had a CT scan done after a Gran-Mal, that came back clear. about year and a half later had an MRI both without and with contrast, summer before last. i have brain damage and i am smart but delayed. that explains a few things.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — April 9, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

4. Well, we all know that you’re SMART! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 9, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

5. Having seizure from the age of 6 until I had surgery at 19. I had at least 8-10 CT Scans. That’s Scary!!

Comment by Lorie Shumate — September 5, 2015 @ 9:59 PM

6. It’s scary any way you look at it.

But you’re here, which is a triumph in itself!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 6, 2015 @ 9:53 AM

7. I’ve had so much radiation over my life time, I should glow! Maybe that’s why I never got cancer when everything said I did. Lol. Hand of God!!!

Comment by Mary O'Neal — February 28, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

8. Well, from your mouth to God’s ear!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 28, 2017 @ 10:41 PM