Ask Dr. Oz a Question and Make YOUR Case for EPILEPSY! | November 4, 2010

Dr. Oz is well-known and respected world-wide.  He also has an open ear.  What we need to do is all participate repeatedly in his “Ask Dr. Oz”  http://www.doctoroz.com/ask

* You can write about “taking epilepsy out of the dark ages”…

* The misinformation and misunderstanding of epilepsy…

* How epilepsy affects over 3 million Americans of all ages – more than Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, and Parkinson’s Disease combined.

* In America, Epilepsy is as common as Breast Cancer, and takes as many lives.

* Almost 500 new cases of Epilepsy are diagnosed every day in the United States.

* Yet, epilepsy gets very little funding. If you take Autism, Parkinson’s, MS, Alzheimer’s per patient: They get $200-$400 per person in research. Epilepsy research gets about $35 per patient.

* Epilepsy affects 50,000,000 people worldwide.

* Each year over 125,000 to 150,000 are newly diagnosed with Epilepsy.

* One in 10 people will suffer a seizure in their lifetime.

* Each year over 125,000 to 150,000 are newly diagnosed with Epilepsy.

* The mortality rate among people with Epilepsy is two to three times higher than the general population.

* For many soldiers suffering traumatic brain injury on the battlefield, Epilepsy will be a long-term consequence.

* November is Epilepsy Awareness Month.

Write whatever your spirit moves you to say.  Just PLEASE…write to Dr. Oz…and write often!

WE NEED TO BE HEARD!!!

1. The funding is unbelievable, almost as if Epilepsy is being Discriminated against in the States.

Comment by Stephen — November 4, 2010 @ 5:43 PM

2. We Need to go ‘PUBLIC’!

What’s wrong w/ this picture? I have had Epilepsy for over 55 Yrs. Had no clue what it was till 15 yrs ago. I’m Still Learning & answering, almost on a daily basis, Questions about our Disorder. I have seen articles about Epilepsy Awareness, read articles about ‘walks/runs for funds’, have heard of Epilepsy Seminars (The SEE program comes to mind), even sa a News cast about a Phoenix 4 Yr old saving her Mom’s Life (Mom had a seizure & the child called 911) this week. But, obviously, there is just No Interest among the general public, unless affected by Epilepsy.

Now, I was diagnosed w/ COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder/disease) a Progressive Lung Disorder, about 10 Yrs ago. Had never heard of it. Yet w/in the past 10 yrs, It is National News. The Public Has been made aware. And, as of last week??, a leading Nascar Driver lost a family member to the disorder & decided to involve Nascar, in raising awareness & funds for Research. Jeez, w/ all the wrecks them guys have, how come one of them don’t have Epilepsy. 😦

Love Candi

Comment by Candi — November 4, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

3. YAAAAAAH!!!! get ’em Phyllis !!!

Comment by pat moran — November 5, 2010 @ 1:54 AM

4. Did you know that more people fake seizures during the Holiday Shopping Time to rip retailers off?
    Here’s what they do: One person acts like the interested shopper, the other person is a browser. The first person fakes the seizure and the other person rips the store off. How? Because everyone’s watching the person seize. But if they knew what to (Simple First Aid) it wouldn’t happen.

How do I know this? I’ve been Seizure Friendly (as in I have it) for the last 25 years and I worked in retail. I use to do it to my stores to teach them 1)about Seizures and 2)Loss Prevention.

Comment by Ally — November 6, 2010 @ 7:54 PM

• When I was young, I had a seizure in Macy’s. Just kind of landed on the floor in a puddle and everyone screamed, looking for my mother. (Of course they didn’t know where or who she was.)

In later years, I also worked in retail (men’s contemporary) and one day keeled over the rolling rack for the suits. There I was just hanging limp over the bar. THAT was the end of my 7+ year retail career! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 7, 2010 @ 2:53 AM

• The retail industry’s loss is our gain!

Comment by Robin — December 1, 2010 @ 4:55 AM

5. LOL!!! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 1, 2010 @ 6:51 AM

6. Phyllis, do you know why this blog is using CST (China Standard Time)?

Comment by Robin — December 1, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

7. Beats me. Perhaps its administration is outsourced to China. I have a friend whose website is administrated out of India. And then there are dozens of other companies like AMEX, etc, who use overseas resources for their e-traffic…

Or maybe we’re in China and we just don’t know it!!! 😉

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 1, 2010 @ 7:53 AM

8. I,was born with epilepsy,and had Phelbitis in 1989.And would,like help in losing weight.

Comment by joann bartholomew — December 24, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

• In terms of exercise, walking is usually recommended for those with both epilepsy and phelbitis.

And as for your other concern, the most user-friendly diet for epilepsy control and weight control is the Modified Atkins Diet. (MAD)

The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Researchers reported this low carb diet reduced epileptic seizures by 50% in a third of participants after usually 3 months on the diet.

More good news: The Modified Atkins Diet doesn’t deprive you of rich foods like butter, peanut butter, mayonnaise, oils, cheese, bacon, eggs, hamburger, and whipped cream.

But daily supplements are necessary to replace vitamins that are missing in the diet. Suggested vitamins include: Vitamin B-1…Vitamin B-2…Vitamin B-3…Vitamin C…Folate…Vitamins D…and E. Check your multi-vitamin to see if ALL of these are included..

Although there are considerably fewer side effects than with drugs, the Modified Atkins Diet for seizures can cause dehydration, constipation and, occasionally, kidney and gall stone complications.

As with all treatments, initial evaluation and careful monitoring by a neurologist, and a nutritionist are all mandatory.

Also, here’s a great link for more info: http://weightlosingideas.com/tag/losing-weight-while-being-epileptic/

Good luck!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 27, 2010 @ 12:53 AM

9. Hello, I would like to know what causes a migraine with hot flashes, chills, hot feet, and legs.

Comment by Valarie — January 24, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

10. I have rls or restless leg sydrome. It is ruining my life. I take requip and have for seven or eight years. I also take senimet when it gets bad in day time,which is happening more often as I get older. I am 73 years and have not had any help from doctors in finding medication that works. We need more awareness on this and most of all,we need a cure for this horrible dreaded problem. I am at my wits end. I used to be full of life and enjoyed traveling,but I can’t ride because it brings on rls. My husband bought a motor home so that I can get up and walk around and that helps. we are able to travel if we go in the motorhome only! My sister and brother also have it. My dad had it,he is deceised now. It is heritary. My sister has it worse than I do. Please help me get the word out there and hopely,there will be medication or shots or a pill that stops it before it gets out of hand. Millions of people are suffering with this. Why has something not been done about it? I am thanking you in advance for any help you can give me. God Bless,Peggy McDaniel

Comment by peggy Mcdaniel — April 10, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

11. Go news Peggy!

From Medical News Today — April 7, 2011

Pharma giant GlaxoSmithKline has received FDA approval on their Horizant Extended Release Tablets used to treat restless legs syndrome, or RLS.

Russell Katz, M.D., director of the Division of Neurology Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research stated:

“People with restless legs syndrome can experience considerable distress from their symptoms. Horizant provides significant help in treating these symptoms.”

For full information, go to: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/221708.php

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 11, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

12. I am a 62 female and have been losing my hair and seem to be getting worse. Should I see a regular MD or a dermatologist. I don’t think it is genetic. My scalp also itches sometimes. I have tried herbal remedies, essential olis and other things nothing has helped.

Comment by Marbella Perea — August 3, 2011 @ 5:23 AM

13. Definitely, I think you should see a dermatologist.

Let me know how it goes…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 3, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

14. […] Celebrate November Epilepsy Awareness Month! | October 19, 2011 Go to Dr. Oz’s website where it says “Ask Dr. Oz a question” and make YOUR case for EPILEPSY! […]

Pingback by Celebrate November Epilepsy Awareness Month! « Epilepsy Talk — October 19, 2011 @ 8:38 PM

15. I do believe all of the ideas you’ve introduced to your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very quick for novices. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

Comment by Livingsocial.com — January 11, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

16. Sorry. If you need the complete scoop on some things, you might want to go to http://www.epilepsy.com. (It’s MY go-to website for reliable information.)

Tap on the blue “About Epilepsy” bar, second on left side, and you’ll find a treasure trove of info. (Maybe even more than you were asking for!)

There’s also a search box where, if you type in a term, they’ll show all of their previous articles or forums related to that. (Unlike my retarded search bar.)

If not, don’t be shy. If you have a question about a subject, sing out. We’re all here to help one another.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 11, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

17. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a entertainment account it.

Glance complex to more introduced agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we keep in touch?

Comment by blogger — April 2, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

18. Sure you can find us here, anytime.

And if you want to subscribe, just hit the “Sign me up!” button on the bottom of the right column.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 3, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

19. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for Vitamin

Comment by Madelaine — May 10, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

20. Welcome Madeleine!

There are a few articles here that might provide food for thought. (No pun intended!)

Brain Food for Your Health…

Foods That Fight Stress…

Fighting Seizures Nutritionally

I hope this helps.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 10, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

21. In fact when someone doesn’t understand then its up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it takes place.

Comment by Ageless Male — May 13, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

22. Thank you for the compliment.

If you’d like to subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and receive notifications of new posts by email, simply click on “Sign Me Up!” on the bottom of the right column.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 14, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

23. I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This type
    of clever work and exposure! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

Comment by http://www.web-directorio.es/add.php — June 1, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

24. Thanks for adding our link.

If you want to subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and receive notifications of new posts by email, just go to the bottom of the right column and click on “Sign Me Up!”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 1, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

25. Have had 2 brain surgeries , was warned after second surgery seizures would decrease. I have married a wonderful husband and raised 2 children that have no seizures. When at John Hopkins they did an MRI on me an found the cause to be a birth defect. Not caused by my mother but my cells not in twisting on my left ventricle in brain ( periventricular modular heterotrophs). My 2 surgeries were close but did not rid of seizures. I had to go to east coast to find this out. Still working on medications that will work, embarrassed to go to dr’s office to complain. Headaches, visual changes, gait, then I’m fine. I feel crazy! Then I have seizures with unknown urinary tract infections it has been a trip!

Comment by Toni Robison — February 15, 2015 @ 12:51 PM

• Toni, Why are you embarrassed to complain?

You’re a very smart woman. If something is wrong — go to the doc.

PLEASE?