What Is Your Inspiration? | July 15, 2010

“I want people with epilepsy to know that there are ways in which they can play a role in their own recovery. It’s all in how they approach what is happening and how they can use that as a catalyst for their own growth. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned, it’s that people are willing to embrace you if you share your story.”  —  Danny Glover

1. I have shared my story so many times.

My inspiration is a positive attitude and my religious beliefs.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 15, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

2. I’ve said it over and over to people who ask about my epilepsy and what it’s like to have a disability. I tell them I’m not disabled, but I’m able to do all things thru Christ who allowed this to happen for a specific prupose in mind.i’m not one who ask for pity; only prayer and love from those who know me. I’m in the process of writing a book about my experience so far with epilepsy and how it affects my day to day living as a husnand, father and son. I fully embrace my condition and accept that all willnot understand how I can, but through this book i pray that they will. It is a lonely life at times, but it is what we make of the journey that people will remember us by. My inspiration… epilesy itself and the fact that I’ve made up my mind to choose that God is faithful & true in all that He does and will see me thru my dark days and will lead me to happier ones as well. My life is’nt defined by epilesy; my life is defined by how I choose to handle my outlook on my situation and how I choose to be faithful with what God has entrusted me with. I live with no regrets or excuses. I live with a promise that my Lord will be faithful & true to his child.

Comment by Bobby Spillers — July 19, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

3. Bobby, your response is beautiful. Your faith is inspiring…and your attitude is something we all could learn from. It’s true, our lives should not be defined by epilepsy but rather by who we are…how we choose to live our lives… and also how we treat others.

That’s why I gave up my full-time freelance job to become an active epilepsy advocate. Because I felt I could do more this way to make a difference.
    And I’m sure that in your life, you do too…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 19, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

4. Phylis and Bobby, you both give me inspiration by your comments. Our spiritual beliefs are a common thread within all 3 of us.

I feel a whole lot better, now. As you know, I need added inspiration.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 20, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

• Oh Ruth, thank you for YOUR inspiration. Without your daily support, something truly would be missing from my life.

SO glad you’re feeling better!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 20, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

5. I thank the both of your for your thoughtful and kind comment’s. I’m very grateful to have an outlet where I can now lift those of us up who are dealing with the day to day struggle of life as those who are put into a certain box and left there to deal with things on our own. You both have inspired me even more in what I’m trying to write and relay to those who do not know of our struggles. I will definately be praying specific prays for you both as you live out life with love for helping others get thru this life and not feel alone in their wondering about the why’s or how’s of this journey. Once again; thank you both.

Comment by Bobby Spillers — July 20, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

• Being there for others is my “mission.” What can be worse than those who are afraid and alone? I was there once, it was not a pretty place to be. Now, I’d like to help others come out of that “box.” Thank you Bobby.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 20, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

6. Thank you Phylis and Bobby for your inspiration. I truly needed it today.

I feel like I have been pushed back into that box. I was accused of faking my epilepsy. It has even been taken off of the hospital charts. I have had epilepsy for 61 years. Now I have to go to my past hospitals to prove that I have epilepsy. What will happen if I have to be rushed to the ER with seizures?

I want to inspire both of you with the fact that we know what we have. We cannot let other people push us back into that box.

Upbuilding and supporting each other is another way to inspire each other.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 21, 2010 @ 5:26 AM

7. The only thing that I can think of to say about being rushed to the hospital is think about getting a medical i.d. bracelet & wear it at all times when your out in public. I wear mine when I’m out & even at home most of the time. I have put what type of seizure I have on the back of it. It is very hard to digest when someone accuses “us” of faking what we know to be very real episodes in our day to day life. I was mis-diagnosed by my first dr and it took a wreck to have me tested. It is a pity to know that you know that you know and people still to not listen one bit. But you know what? God does know and has it all under control and will not allow His own to be forsaken. So go ahead and give life a whirl from the perspective of one that I’ve chosen to have. I choose to believe that God is faithful to His own and live with confidence and expectation for each & every day as a new day to show others about what true love looks like. I now know what to pray for concerning both of you wonderful ladies and will remain true to my promise… and pray I will. I’m glad to be a part of another’s “mission” in life to lift up those who need lifting up and prayed up as well. It’s not often said enough, but I will say it now. I love and already cherish our special friendship and to consider ya’ll just what you are to me…family.

Comment by Bobby Spillers — July 21, 2010 @ 12:18 PM

• They say that “friends are the family you make for yourself.” And we are family, united by many commonalities…not just an illness, but also by a commitment to caring, helping others and being there for them when the need arises.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 21, 2010 @ 7:57 PM

8. I found another inspiration thought,
    “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to evaporate.” Albert Schweitzer

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 1, 2010 @ 9:35 AM

• What a great quote! We never know what a kind word will do in a persons life when take time and speak a word of encouragement to someone. By the way…have a great week ahead and God Bless.

Comment by Bobby Spillers — August 1, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

• Wow Ruth, that’s awesome!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2010 @ 9:12 PM

9. My inspiration today is:

1. Persistance…
    2. Courage…
    3. Optimism…
    4. Love…
    5. Laughter…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

10. Thank you, Bobby, I do wear a medic alert bracelet everywhere I go.

Bobby, you are a kind and caring person. Thank you!

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 2, 2010 @ 10:29 AM

11. hi,

My inspiration is that there is so much in this world I want to discover, its great. There is more that we can do, than not do.

By the way, I also got me an ID braclet. Actually I had me 3 red heart dog tags engraved with my name, Dr. name number, that I have seiz, and that I have a wallet medical card info. I have the tags on a bright orange rubber braclet kids wear sometimes. Its not hard to miss.

I was so fed up with people thinking “what is the matter with her, is she crazy”

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — August 24, 2010 @ 7:35 AM

12. 1. Jennifer you are not crazy. You are a nice person.
    2. I succefully did housework and will again tomorren.
    3. The Bible
    4. My family

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 24, 2010 @ 9:17 AM

13. I love all of the positive things that come when we share our thoughts as well as what inspires us each day. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here and I’ve missed it…but I’m back!! Jennifer: it is ss encouraging to hear of others taking a positive stand for what “we” can do in our own individual lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Ruth: what can I say about one who has such a tender heart and gracious spirit. Love reading your comments as they tend to lift me up everytime I read them. Phylis: thank you for starting such a site to share our thoughts with others who struggle as we try to adjust to life in a different state than most. We tend to think of ourselves as crazy and it’s more of an inward struggle and at times I think that gets to me more than anything esle. Keep pressing on and fighting the fight as we cannot and will not surrender to fear or lack of understanding by those who choose not to understand. Thank you my friends for being a valuable part of my life.

Comment by Bobby Spillers — August 25, 2010 @ 12:02 PM

• Sharing and caring is the theme of our community. We love you being part of it Bobby and all the kindness you have to contribute and spread to all those around you. Yes we have epilepsy…it is a part of our lives…but it does not definine or dictate who and what we are.

Thanks for YOUR inspiration! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 25, 2010 @ 7:56 PM

14. Bobby, thank you for your kind words. They are very inspiring. You care for people.

We are not crazy. It is what is in our hearts how we feel about ourselves.

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 27, 2010 @ 8:54 PM

15. Phylis, Bobby, Ruth, Jennifer…Thank you for your statements.

God put us on this earth for challenges that we can handle! Dealing w/ seizures is sometimes a tangled web but it has taught me to be grateful for the people around me. Considerate of others that help me and I am truly grateful. Change the things that need to be changed. This has happened to all of us. Patience to myself and others.

All of you have been wonderful to leave messages with!
    Thank you!

Comment by Toni Robison — December 5, 2011 @ 3:18 AM

16. YOU are an inspiration Toni. Epilepsy might be strong but we are stronger.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 5, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

17. my inspirations are my friends who also have epilepsy, that is including you phylis, taught me to work around my disabilities. god has put me on this earth for a reason and i think i have found it to help others like me.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 24, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

• Crystal, I don’t think you give yourself enough credit. It’s you and your can-do attitude that has gotten you to where you are.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 16, 2015 @ 9:57 AM

18. That’s a beautiful sentiment, Crystal. If only people were more like you.

My favorite saying is: “You can either become a victim of epilepsy and let it rule your life. Or you can choose your own path and follow your destiny.”

Merry Christmas Crystal. Wishing a New Year full of health and happiness for you and all of those you love.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 24, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

19. merry christmas to you too. i have 2 new years resolutions that is to keep myself healthy and to be the best student and person i can be.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 24, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

20. Go for it!!! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 24, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

21. Reading these comments is an inspiration in and of itself. Thank you. Knowing the monster epilepsy can hit at any time is not something I worry about. I think of my daughter/granddaughters. I pray for them and the rest of my family and know I’m here for a reason. I thank God for every day He’s put me here on earth. My life is blessed.

Comment by Melissa Bryan — December 16, 2015 @ 8:39 AM