GENERICS: IMPORTANT NEWS FROM THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF NEUROLOGY | December 22, 2009

In the New York Times http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package…angenerics.pdf  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/19/health/19patient.html?emc=eta1
The American Academy of Neurology reports: “The AAN opposes generic substitution of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsy without the attending physician’s approval. The FDA has allowed for significant differences between name-brand and generic drugs. This variation can be highly problematic for patients with epilepsy. Even minor differences in the composition of generic and name-brand anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsy can result in breakthrough seizures.”

Please read the article, it’s from those who know best and truly have OUR interests at heart!

Other articles of interest:

Prescription Switching. Do You Know What You’re REALLY Getting?  https://epilepsytalk.com/2013/02/12/prescription-switching-do-you-know-what-youre-really-getting-2/

Hello Generics, Goodbye Big-Name Drugs https://epilepsytalk.com/2011/10/25/hello-generics-goodbye-big-name-drugs/

Epilepsy Generics: Yes, No or Maybe So?  https://epilepsytalk.com/2009/09/01/epilepsy-generics-yes-no-or-maybe-so/

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles, go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. Hello,
    I was not sure where to put this?
    You are always digging for “new” information so this seemed like an appropiate place.
    This is the first full page info. I have seen on this medication It was approved in the U.K. but as far as I know? it has not been in America “yet”
    I have been in this drug study for over a year now and I did not dig for information anymore after I started taking it.
    I am supposed to be taking another drug with this one pretty soon ,although I am apprehensive because every time I start a new drug of “any” kind I have a LOT of seizures .
    Frankly I am finally “tired” of having these things and those extra seizures worry me a little.
    But I thought you might like this page, although I know there is some other Info. out there AND this is from the company who made it (lol)this seems to be the most complete. Rick

Comment by Rick — January 25, 2010 @ 11:47 PM

2. Thanks lots Rick, but where is the page???

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 26, 2010 @ 3:48 AM

3. lol. lol oops.
    It is moments like these when I realize why my ssdi was approved in less than 90days when and I am only 47.
    Say again oops.!
    This link should work it is the main page for lacosimide/VIMPAT ,To be honest I have NOT read very much of this info. and I have taken this drug for over a year now.
    That does not even sound like me?
    I did not want all the information bouncing around with ALL the other side effects I had memorized from like 10 other drugs, SHEW my mind was a mess.
    Try this http://www.webmd.com/finding-seizure-control/default.htm

Comment by Rick — January 26, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

4. Thanks for the link Rick. I’m working on an article about AED’s…their uses…and their side effects. I’ll post it this week, as soon as I’m finished. (It’s in alphabetical order and I’m up to Topamax!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 26, 2010 @ 8:44 PM

5. It i useful to improve my knowledge, techniques, ideas about the epilepsy

Comment by Jai Chandran — October 24, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

• Well, you know, every body is different and every person responds differently.

Good that you had a positive experience, though!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 24, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

6. some generic,s aren,t right for me, I know there cheaper , but some times you may have to use the name brand.

Comment by michele metzger — June 6, 2016 @ 10:32 PM

7. I have started treatment for IVIG, this past March. So far I’ve had 3 treatments. I’ve had to have rescue meds the first treatment. The second treament they gave me, premeds. And after I went home I had headache for three days and seizures all the next day. This last treatment I told the doctor I thought it was the meds he was prescribing for headaches ( Toradol) and the dr just ignored me. I ended up falling asleep and coming to having seizure activity and couldn’t help my self by swiping my VNS magnet or alert anyone for help, I just had to pray that it pass and all it well. My next treament it at the end of the month. I see my neurologist today, I will definitely be talking with him about what happened, I’m hoping he can talk to my infusion dr. I hope they can give different med or have rescue meds on hand and to know what will happen.

Comment by Crystal — June 7, 2016 @ 4:12 AM

• Why are you getting IVIG? And do you have your own emergency medications on hand?

In Case of Emergency…

As for the headaches…are they migraines?

Because research shows that Depacon (Valproate) and Topamax (Topiramate) are effective in treating migraines and epilepsy.

And each has FDA approval for treating them together.

Depakote (Divalproex Sodium) also works for both, creating a therapeutic “two-fer”.

There are also several other anti-epileptic drugs that have also been shown to lessen migraine headaches – such as Neurontin (Gabapentin), Keppra ( Levetiracetam) and Zonegran (Zonisamide).

However, the dose of AEDs in the treatment of migraines is usually lower than that used for epilepsy.

Anyway, please let me know what happens after today’s neuro appointment. It certainly sounds like things are out of control. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 7, 2016 @ 9:56 AM

8. Michele, generics don’t work for a large number of people.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 7, 2016 @ 9:21 AM