The Scandal of Aspartame | November 26, 2009

You probably already know that aspartame is a no-no.  But just in case you weren’t sure why, here are the reasons and the scandal…

For 16 years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame.  In fact, the FDA’s own toxicologist told Congress that: “Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment, which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause cancer.” — FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross

It was finally accepted (for political reasons that are too scandalous to write about here) and here are the results:

For starters, medical authorities estimate that aspartame has brought more complaints to the FDA than any other additive. Specifically, over the years, various reports have implicated aspartame in headaches, memory loss, seizures, vision loss, coma, and cancer. It also appears to worsen or mimic the symptoms of such conditions as fibromyalgia, MS, lupus, ADD, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, chronic fatigue, and depression…

In fact, aspartame is responsible for 75 percent of such complaints to that agency. And, after receiving some 10,000 consumer complaints, the FDA compiled a list of 92 symptoms linked to aspartame — including death.

WHY? Because aspartame attacks your body at the cellular level so it can negate all kinds of medications Americans take, including antidepressants, Coumadin, cardiac drugs, hormones, insulin, vaccines, and many others.

In short, it is a deadly neurotoxic drug masquerading as a harmless additive.

1. i personally agree with this! i have fibromyalgia and whenever i have aspartame in my system, my symptoms are severely worse!
    thank you for sharing!

Comment by Brandi — November 5, 2011 @ 12:47 AM

2. thanks for your help will wacth from now own. wiseagle1

Comment by marsie neal — November 5, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

3. It’s a killer. Literally!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 5, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

4. I thought I heard somewhere that the body converts aspartame into what is essentially chlorine inside your body, which of course is poisonous. What about other sweetners like sucralose and saccharine? I try to avoid aspartame, but do use sweet n low (saccharine) in my tea..

Comment by Doug — May 21, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

• Doug , even the Sucralose , sacchrarine is even bad .. , try either honey or coconut oil , in the tea .. read up on coconut oils , states it helps those with Epilepsy .. been using both in my coffee , & tea .. havent had seizures in 13 yrs , plus , i also have lupus ,

Comment by Cathy — May 31, 2015 @ 1:06 PM

5. Right you are!

“Splenda/sucralose is simply chlorinated sugar; a chlorocarbon. Common chlorocarbons include carbon tetrachloride, trichlorethelene and methylene chloride, all deadly.

Chlorine is nature’s Doberman attack dog, a highly excitable, ferocious atomic element employed as a biocide in bleach, disinfectants, insecticide, WWI poison gas and hydrochloric acid.”

Reported side effects: Headaches, fibromyalgia, anxiety, memory loss, arthritis, abdominal pain, nausea, depression, heart palpitations, irritable bowel syndrome, seizures, neurological disorders, vision problems, brain tumors and weight gain.

Concerns: Phenylalanine and aspartic acid directly impact brain and central nervous system functions; evidence shows they play a role in mood disorders, memory problems and other neurological illnesses.

Methanol is converted into formaldehyde when metabolized. Makers of aspartame say methanol and its byproducts are quickly excreted. But research has found measurable amounts of formaldehyde in the livers, kidneys and brains of test subjects after ingestion of aspartame.

On the other hand, saccharine is a sulfa-based sweetener; its primary ingredient is benzoic sulfimide.

Reported side effects: For those with sulfa allergies, saccharin may cause nausea, diarrhea, skin problems or other allergy-related symptoms.

Concerns: Early safety studies of saccharin showed the sweetener caused bladder cancer in rats. The FDA recently lifted the requirement that saccharin be labeled as a probable carcinogen on food packaging.

The link between saccharin and bladder cancer has contributed to saccharin being the most investigated of all artificial sweeteners. To date, no connection between saccharin and bladder cancer in humans has been proven.

I’m a Sweet ‘N Low girl, myself. I guess it’s the lesser of two evils! 🙂

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 21, 2013 @ 8:08 AM

6. What about the newer “stevia”?

Comment by Donna Coffey — June 12, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

7. I began reducing consumption of Aspartame years ago. Doing much better now.

Comment by Lance Elizabeth DeLoach — November 28, 2015 @ 11:57 AM

8. Excellent. (Further proof that “you are what you eat”!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 28, 2015 @ 12:17 PM

9. I had problems with aspartame when it first came out in country time iced tea in the 80’s my mom thought I would do better with less sugar intake. I drank it until I got a migraine and projectile vomiting from that day on I always said I was allergic to it and even a sip gives me a migraine.

Comment by Jackie Valentino — November 28, 2015 @ 6:23 PM

10. OMG. If only you had known!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 28, 2015 @ 11:31 PM

11. How stupid could they get? If they knew it caused all these problems; why in heck would they allow it to be put as an additive in foods.

Comment by vickie roy — February 4, 2016 @ 5:26 PM

12. Politics and $$$$. 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 4, 2016 @ 5:37 PM

13. WHY IS AS
    ARTAME A CLMPONENEN IN SON EPILEPSY MEDS ?

Comment by Douglass Collins — April 5, 2016 @ 6:34 AM

14. I don’t quite understand what you’re saying (???)

Which med(s) is he taking?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 5, 2016 @ 11:04 AM

15. What about fruit syrup? Is. That a good alternative?

Comment by Anna Hargreaves — April 18, 2016 @ 11:47 AM

16. Nope. Sorry, too much sugar. 😦

“Fruit Juice is Just as Unhealthy as a Sugary Drink”

“Sugar Wise: How Fruit Stacks Up”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 18, 2016 @ 1:57 PM

17. I don’t mean fruit juice-we have a new product here in the uk that purports to be a natural sweetener made from natural fruit extracts, which are listed as apples, grapes and carob. It is the form of a syrup and it says on the label that is suitable for diabetics, vegan friendly, GM and gluten free, low in fructose and just 13 calories per teaspoon. I have a squeeze of this on my porridge every morning, and have epilepsy. Are the two things compatible, do you think?

Comment by Anna Hargreaves — April 19, 2016 @ 2:30 AM

18. Thank you Phylis Feiner Johnson was

Comment by Douglass Collins — August 8, 2016 @ 5:11 PM

19. I wish I had read this sooner. Son had t-c seizures in April and September. Both times he was taking Children’s Allegra, which helped with seasonal allergies, but caused extreme excitability, which culminated in seizures. Both times there was a lot of vomiting after the seizures, which had never happened previously. Come to find out, Children’s Allegra contains aspartame. Because of the vomiting in April, doctors thought he had a stomach virus; we didn’t suspect the Allegra. But when the same thing happened earlier this week, we looked closely at the label on the Allegra box, and put 2 and 2 together.

Is Allegra safe if it does not contain aspartame? We are reluctant to test it.

Comment by Martha — September 23, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

20. Sigh. Would would have suspected it? I’m so sorry Martha. Aspartame is certainly insidious! 😦

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 23, 2016 @ 1:04 PM

• Update: Children’s Allegra Liquid does NOT contain Aspartame (only the chewable tablets do).

Comment by Martha — May 12, 2017 @ 6:23 PM