DISABLED? DO YOU WANT TO WORK? | December 8, 2013

Are You A Social Security Beneficiary? Do you want to work?

Learn about the “Ticket To Work”!

The Ticket To Work Program can help Social Security beneficiaries go to work, get a good job that may lead to a career, save more money, and become financially independent, all while they keep their health coverage.

Ticket to Work is a free and voluntary program that gives beneficiaries real choices that can help them create and lead better lives.

Individuals who receive Social Security benefits because of a disability probably already qualify for the program.

Learn more about how to get started making these choices.

Call Ticket to Work’s Help line at 1-866-968-7842 (V) or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY) to find out more about your options.

Or click on http://choosework.net/mycall/ to find out if you’re eligible and to sign up for free information

One of Social Security’s contractors manages this site and the Help Line and will help you get the answers you need.

While some providers may be local, others may serve the entire state and may not be in your area.

The location listed is the closest office that the service provider has shared.

Contact service providers directly for more information about the office nearest you.

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. If you apply for benefits, and do not receive them after a judge listens to your case, you cannot have access to the Ticket to Work program. In other words, you need to get money before you apply for a job. What if you would like to tell a judge about your condition, and then apply for the Ticket to Work program instead of getting benefits?

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Epilepsy Talk

Comment by Paul Delaup — December 9, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

2. Wow. That’s at GOOD question Paul.

If you called Ticket to Work and asked them, would they be able to give you a (straight) answer?

As for the judge appeal, I think that’s BRILLIANT!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 9, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

3. Thanks for the quick response. I previously called the program, and then the office of my appeal judge who will probably decide in 2 months. I was told my next step would only be to wait for the decision.

I’ll try sending faxes (no one will give us their email) to explain the problem to others in the dept.

Comment by Paul Delaup — December 9, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

4. Excellent. And good for you, Paul.

(Compared to my 6 month wait to get my driver’s license back, it seems almost enviable.)

Actually, faxing is better.

Because emails go automatically in the junk folder, unless your name is recognized ion the address list.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 9, 2013 @ 7:52 PM

5. I checked throughout the state of Louisiana. Much of the job assistance has to do with therapy, counseling, preparation for interviews and going back to work, etc.

I visited the Workforce Commission and was given a grant for this type of assistance two years ago. I turned it down.

Instead of finding training and getting assistance with companies regarding a job / career, I was directed to a another company (paid middle-man) to give me this type of “preparation to enter the workforce”. Grant was high, but given by the State. I would have been cheating the gov’t.

Maybe finally getting a response stating whether I’m eligible, I’ll be able to get more input; or at least go directly to an employer instead.

Comment by Paul — December 11, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

6. WHY did you turn down the grant and how would you be “cheating” the government?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 11, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

• The grant was to allow me to gain “work readiness” training….work ethic, attitude and behaviors, preparing for application and interviewing processes. How ignorant / self absorbed do they think we are? I felt like I was in junior high school when I heard their goals.

Then I found out the money would go to a “provider”. Not sure what their fees are.
      There is no need to outsource simple training. Someone actually with the Workforce Commission Dept. could do that. I didn’t see myself as needing “individualized” rehabilitation. We actually met in a coffee shop twice where I was being assessed by the provider. Couldn’t have felt more brain-dead. (even with LmTLE)

I made recommendations for school courses and types of businesses to develop. I was told it was good to “think out of the box”, but to keep that to myself until my “training” was completed.

What’s needed is to learn what types of jobs / businesses can be accomplished while working out of the home.

Comment by Paul — December 12, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

• EXCELLENT POINTS, PAUL !!!
        Thou, I’m NOT sure this fits all, but providing DIRECT employment opportunity with ANY EMPLOYER willing to invest and traine the employee for professional career would have simplified the process and dignified the employee’s anticipation.
        I
        Thiy

Comment by Gerrie — December 12, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

7. One wise lady in another article suggested:

“Your best places you want to look for jobs is to find places that post EOE ( Equal Opportunity Employment).

These type of places are in agreement to hiring people with disabilities.”

I don’t know if this applies to you Paul, but I thought I’d throw it out there as a possibly.

What are your skills? What do you love to do?

Fortunately for me, I’m a writer and I can do that from any place.

But of course, not everyone is so lucky.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 12, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

8. First of all, I read your article and it was TERRIFIC!

I saw one (not as good) in the Huffington Post last week.

So, put together a portfolio of your articles and start shopping it around.

To pod casts, magazines, newspapers, media outlets, social networks,etc.

Next register at Linked-In.

Link-in is: “The world’s largest professional network:
    225 million strong.”

“You can power your career. Discover professional opportunities, business deals, and new ventures.”

You wouldn’t believe how many people advertise for prospective employees there.

And how many people get their jobs from there.

Re: your geek intelligence.

I would start with a sliding scale based on what you’re doing and for whom.

Private students, companies, corporations, public services, etc.

They ALL need your services. (Even if they don’t know it.)

If you can’t drive, get a partner who can do the on-site stuff, while you write up the analysis, problems and solutions.

There are zillions of opportunities out there if you look hard enough.

But how are they to know you from Adam if you don’t publicize your experiences, successes, accomplishments and what you can do for THEIR company.

(Look around at some of the other resumes in your chosen field and see what THEY have to say for themselves. Spy a little.)

You can do what you like and want to do. Not in obscurity.

You’ll get lots of rejections. (I got 128 rejections before I got my first job. But that was when the newspaper was the only format — other than connections — to get a job.)

Is there someone whom you’re written for or done security workshops for who can lead you to connections?

Offer to do an X hour seminar for employees and charge Y an hour.

Thousands of people give lectures, and seminars by remote. (Have you thought about web cam or sky talk (or whatever it’s called.)

Parents of students at Princeton are making a big stink because professors are teaching by remote.

After all, why are they paying skillions of dollars when all their kid does is sit in front of a monitor and get emails from the professors!

If they can do it, why can’t you?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 12, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

9. Thanks again. I’m not too far behind, yet
    -The Bar Associations asked me to speak to give them CLE credits. Pay is zero, and I pay for lunch

-The hotels and motels were interested in having me speak. I buy lunch for them, they allow me to speak for 20 minutes

-Some colleges and business centers were open to me teaching. I make $40 / hr, and they make the rest…at $50 / hr and up to 20 students. My handouts and materials are not paid for.

Next goal is to approach businesses and charge a fee. Hopefully, traveling can be easier once I move.

Already joined LinkedIn, but that is a “social website”; be careful with personal information.
    I figured writing articles would be the best way to advertise. As you’re aware, limit is one every 30 days, newspapers tend to pick them up while on internet, if interested. Thanks

Comment by Paul — December 13, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

10. What’s wrong with this picture? You speak AND you pay?

NO. You need more confidence. They don’t “allow” you to speak, they ASK and PAY for your services.

Please Paul. Don’t give away your talent.

Also, as for LinkedIn…again you can use it to your advantage.

You don’t have to give them anything more than you want to.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 13, 2013 @ 10:13 AM

11. Well aware…still haven’t given them the opportunity.

Next goal is trying to give the seminar on “Skype”; they’ll pay by the # of credits they receive (legal or medical), or the number of hours. Still trying to reach other states

Could take some time.

Comment by Paul — December 13, 2013 @ 11:01 AM

12. In inspired idea. Next comes proposals and cold, hard cash! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 13, 2013 @ 12:57 PM