Is Your Home Seizure-Proof? | August 7, 2012

How many of us have had accidents while having seizures at home? (I almost drowned in the shower because of the way the shower door was constructed.)

Here are some suggestions to help make your home safer. Of course your seizure type and frequency will dictate the adjustments needed to maintain safety.

First of all, it’s a good idea to walk through your house and take note of any potential danger areas.

Arrange your home and if possible, kitchen, bathroom, work and living spaces, to be safe should you have a seizure. Pad sharp corners, include a non-trip/non-slip carpet, put barriers in front of fireplaces or hot stoves. If you wander confused during or after a seizure, pay special attention to heights, railings and nearby pools or bodies of water.

GENERAL PRECAUTIONS

Living in a house or apartment which doesn’t have stairs reduces the risk of injury from falls.

Carpet the floors, including entranceways and bathrooms, using dense pile carpet with thick under padding.

Clear any obstacles in the main paths.

Avoid climbing up on chairs or ladders, especially when alone.

Securely lock outside doors, if you tend to wander during a seizure.

If you live alone, have a “buddy system,” if you need to be checked on. Pre-program your phone for emergency contact numbers. Adding a subscription to a Lifeline® Personal Help Button (1-800-387-1215) gives you instant push button contact, should you need help.

THE KITCHEN

Use automatic shut-off appliances, power tools, etc. whenever possible.

Try substituting a microwave oven rather than a stove to cook.

Consider cooking on back burners as much as possible.

Instead of glass or porcelain, store food in shatterproof plastic containers or bags.

Keep knives in a slotted knife draw.

Wear rubber gloves when washing the dishes.

THE BATHROOM

Make sure the bathroom doors open outward rather than inward, so they can be opened in case you fall.

Install a shower seat as well as nonskid strips to minimize the danger of falling.

Use tub rails or grab bars.

Use shatterproof glass for mirrors and shower doors.

Keep water heater temperature low to prevent scalding.

Check the bathtub drain to make sure it’s working properly.

Keep the water in the tub at low levels.

LIVING SPACES

Keep floors clear of clutter and tie up dangling electrical cords.

When you buy furniture, choose pieces that have rounded corners.

Place non-flammable secure barriers in front of hot radiators, heaters and fireplaces.

If you use a space heater, choose one that doesn’t tip over.

Use electric and home appliances that have automatic shut-off switches.

Choose chairs that have arms, to keep from falling off.

Don’t leave drawers open.

And last but not least, try to pay attention to your surroundings, so you don’t walk into walls and furniture (rounded edges or not) like me!

1. I have a landlord who I live with… unfortunately he’s I think he’s OCD… there’s wires everywhere, it’s cluttered in the kitchen. I can’t even cook without freaking out if I’m going to have a seizure. Fortunately, I usually have grand mals in my sleep. I have mentioned it.
    We recently had someone from the city come by and he got fined $2,000 for all the problems illegally. I felt bad. (I wasn’t the one who made the report) but I did mention to the woman of my concerns in the kitchen because of my health.
    How can I make sure that this is not a consistent problem without getting more people involved and I can actually eat and not freak out using the kitchen?

Here are some photos of what the house looks like (downstairs).

Comment by Liza — August 7, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

2. For some reason, Facebook wouldn’t open the picture.

But how about getting velcro fasteners http://www.staples.com/VELCRO-Brand-Fasteners-Tape-Glue-Adhesives/cat_CL140446
    to at least control the length and clutter of the cords.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

• You can try it again, I changed the settings for the album.

I could, but there are so many! Every time someone from the Cable Co. comes over, even they don’t know how to deal with the wires. But I could mention it to him to see if he could at least organize it a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion, didn’t think of that! :)

Comment by Liza — August 7, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

• Liza,
        Try again,, facebook is NOT openning the pictures.

Comment by Gerrie — August 7, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

3. First of all Liza, couldn’t you situate your computers closer and use a surge strip?

I’ve got a screen, computer, tower, printer, and laptop all plugged into one 10 plug surge supressor and then the zillion wires are tethered together by velco strips.

Also, I think you need to edit your belongings a little to get rid of some of the clutter.

I wrote for an organizational expert once and here’s what she suggested:

One by one, strip each room. Have three cartons ready marked “YES”, “MAYBE,” and “NO.”

The “maybe’s can go into storage or a closet where they can sit for 6 months before you definitely decide.

The “no’s” get given away to friends, a garage sale, Goodwill or whomever you choose.

And the “yes’s”, go back into the room, one-by-one and you’ll find yourself redecorating as you reassemble them.

Do it with a friend for some encouragement. (Sometimes it’s hard to part with your stuff.)

You won’t believe the results. They’re amazing!

I had clients coming to visit. As you can guess, my office was a mess. (And I was in a panic!)

So I stripped my office down to the furniture and then went through the yes, no, maybe process.

The end result looked like a new room. So airy and uncluttered. You could actually see the couch, the coffee table, my pictures.

And it was very cathartic! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

• 1) It’s not my house, we just rent the rooms.
      2) Not my computers.
      3) He runs his business out of his kitchen.

Otherwise I would just do everything myself, not the most efficient.

However, I’ll pass the word on. :)

Comment by Liza — August 7, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

4. Oy! :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

5. After Epilepsy made driving personal car impossible,
    DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR CONVENIENT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, I moved in to 12 room group-house,
    renting a room the size of my previous bathroom for $700/mn.

GUESS WHAT,,, While the house is nothing more than a VERY EXPENSIVE HUMAN-WAREHOUSE with NO LAUNDRY,,,

I couldn’t believe it, when some decent neighbors TWICE helped me out, when I had seizures in a GROUP-SHARING BATHROOM & made sure I had enough to eat when my seizure KEPT ME DEEPLY SLEEPING IN BED FOR TWO DAYS, (which happens to be part of my recovery process after each grand mal seizure, just like my good old friend would say “but you looked conscious”).

INCREDIBLY,,, My seizures helped me to meet & make GOOD HUMAN BEINGS, very considerate to the difficulties of their neighbor :)))
    GOD BLESS THE GOOD HEART OF GOOD PEOPLE.

TRADING ONE DIFFICULTY FOR ANOTHER, for the convenience of transportation,,,, NOW, the difficulty is LAUNDRY, landlord depriving 12 tenants to maximize the landlords return-on-the investment house, AVOIDING WATER & ELECTRICITY BILLS FOR THE LAUNDRY MACHINES.

Interestingly, the laundry machines in the GARAGE are ONLY for toilet seat-covers & rags, “decorating the house”.

Leaving behind COMPLETE APARTMENT for the convenience of transportation to pay $700/mn for nothing more than prison cell-room, with NO LAUNDRY feels SUFFOCATING.

Therefore, it’s TIME TO MOVE AGAIN, looking for another apartment, studio, room,,, etc, FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF LAUNDRY.

Makes you wonder, if the BLESSINGS & CURSES OF EPILEPSY, go hand in hand.

Then again,,, So is life.
    Stay strong & peace for all.

Comment by Gerrie — August 7, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

• Oh Gerrie,

I had no idea you were living in such an intolerable situation. And paying $700 a month for the “privledge”.

Here are some ideas I’ll throw out, even though I’m sure you’ve already considered them…

Can you ask the people you befriended for suggestions, help or advice?

What about finding a “normal” apartment or house with 4 or 5 other people? (You’d live on the first floor, if it was a house.) And getting a Lifeline® Personal Help Button (1-800-387-1215) should you need help.

How about a Seizure Response dog?

What about trying to find a roommate(s) through your local epilepsy foundation or at least tell them you’re looking.

Do you belong to any support groups? They can be incredibly helpful sharing resources.

Craig’s list?

That’s it. I’m out of ideas… :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 8, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

• I had no idea about finding a roommate through the local Epilepsy Foundation… is there a link for that?

Comment by Liza — August 8, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

• Ohhhh Phyllis,,,,
        Remember James Taylor’s song “Fire & Rain”,,,
        I hate to bitch (sorry) & moan, but since Epilepsy, life has NEVER been the same again.

Then again, who said,
        “LIFE HAVE TO BE PICNIC”.

I guess, James Taylor figured out way before me, life ain’t picnic, COPING with “fire & rain” & making it to the next day, makes life going.

Therefore, thanks to Epilepsy, I’ve come to learn about “FIRE & RAIN”, meeting the most precious considerate humble people who share a SLICE PART of thier heart, mind, soul, time & resources for the good of another human being struck down with seizure tembling on the ground & I learned & met the “humans” (virus), who would make life MISERABLE for anyone around, more than life should had to be.

And, I met this site, where I can spill my heart out & feel a whol lot better, learning from people in the same mediacal predicament I’ve come to live with & sharing my deepest agony I learned from Epilepsy & my seziures, I don’t even let my family & friends know, covering up the whole ordeal under simple sentence,,,, “OH YEAH,,,YEAH,,,, EVERYTHING IS OK”.

Oh Yeah Phyllis,
        Imagine yourself making the BEST DECISION OF YOUR LIFE, in the name of “convinent transportation”, putting yourself in prison-cell & paying $700.00/mn for the “convineience” of the public-trasportation & the prison cellroom & can’t even wash your dirty laundry in the prison?

What was meant for convinience has become “concentration camp”.

Looks like, some of us are EXPENDABLE, for the profits of the other part of us.

Sure Phyllis,
        There are many sources of “support sytems” in the “market &/or charity”, who are more obssesed & consumed with SHUFFLING PAPERS than provide support.

Always on my own, I already looked & checked over some places to rent & many of them require two or three public access trasportaion, which is FINE but NOT ideal.

Again, just like James Taylor figured out long time ago, I will certainlly find a way to get out of this hell & FIND SANITY COPING with “fire & rain”.

Thanks all of you, who been around when needed.
        Gerrie

Comment by Gerrie — August 10, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

• Hi, there. Really difficult state of affairs. My epilepsy nurse is very helpful with local resources since I have trouble thinking out of the box to solve problems. Do you have a social worker or epilepsy nurse who can help with local resources? Linda

Comment by Linda — August 22, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

• If you’re looking for one, maybe your local Epilepsy Foundation can help…

Just key in your zip code to find the one closest to you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 22, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

• Linda,

Talk about,,, “Really difficult state of affairs. “.
        TELL ME ABOUT IT,,, Feels taken hostage.

In any case,,, LINDA,

I’m very pleased you have “epilepsy nurse, very helpful with local resources”.

All I knew about Epilepsy was & still remains,

-Getting knocked out with seizures,
        -End up in hospital emergency rooms,
        -Regain consciousness,,, Wondering who in the hell put me in hospital bed.
        -Get up from the hospital bed, go home & try to hold on to whatever is left in my life, before EPILEPSY TAKES AWAY EVERYTHING I WORKED HARD ALL MY LIFE FOR,,, slipping out of my hand, right in front of my eyes.
        -See or follow up with ER Physicians & Neurologists & Paramacists,,,
        -Head for the Pharmacy,,, KEEP BUYING PRESCRIPTIONS & taking medications.
        -Hope the medication control the seizures,
        -Visit PRESTIGIOUS & EXPENSIVE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL for MRI & EEG tests, to find out if my BRIAN is very good candidate for SURGERY to stop my seizures.
        -KEEP WONDERING & WONDERING,,, If “Brain Surgery” would be BEST alternative to TOTALLY STOP MY SEIZURES vs. the ENDLESS medications UNABLE to stop my seizures,,,, or “the risks is NOT worth the outcome”.
        -KEEP PAYING & PAYING & PAYING the Ambulance, ER Hospital Doctors & Neurologists visits, Pharmacy (prescription drug) BILLS & BILLS & BILLS,,,etc.
        -KEEP ADJUSTING TO LIFE WITH EPILEPSY,,, (Convenient Transportation & peaceful/safe affordable housing).

Therefore, NO Linda,
        Personally, I DON’T KNOW nor EVER HEARD OF ANY,,,, “epilepsy nurse, very helpful with local resources”,,,,,

EXECEPT,,, For this VERY INFORMATIVE, SUPPORTING, HELPFUL, MEMBERS & COMPANIONS OF THIS WEBSITE,,, I get to TREASURE & share my Epilepsy nightmares, I don’t have “epilepsy nurse, very helpful with local resources”

But, Thank you for asking though,,, I’m going to learn with you of the “LOCAL RESOURCES” you are asking about,from Phylis & the many MEMBERS & COMPANIONS of this site, VERY EXPERIENCED PEOPLE who know & share MORE about Epilpsy, far more my Hospitals. Doctors, Pharmacies, Nuerologists,,,, “NURSES”,,, I’ve come to know through TEN YEARS OF EPILPSY.

Therefore, Your request for information on “epilepsy nurse, very helpful with local resources”, will certainly find an answer.

Good Luck Linda !!!

Comment by Gerrie — August 22, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

• Dear Gerrie, I am so sadden to hear about your severe case. My epilepsy has ups and downs–and is catamenial–so things are much worse around hormonal changes. I go to a big hospital system so I see an epilepsy nurse a few times a year regularly–and also in between. She is a combination medical problem solver, social worker, and helps me solve what I can’t on my own! Epilepsy is a big ugly. It’s terrible to live with, we didn’t ask for it and certainly don’t deserve it. I hope you will find a solution that greatly improves your situation. They tell me I’ll be better after menopause….I sure hope so! I fear seizures, nothing else. Linda

________________________________

Comment by Linda Christle — August 28, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

6. I never let my epilepsy rule my world.
    When your intractactable your letting the seizures win when your worrying about padding every thing..
    I survived after having seizures and busting my head open but when you you have a shower/bathtub in an apt your saying I’ll hurt myself I have and would have regardless with my sz’s .
    I refuse put my life on hold.
    Belinda

Comment by Belinda S Brown (@Georgiaalways) — August 8, 2012 @ 5:33 AM

• YOU GO GIRL! Good for you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 8, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

• Belinad,
        You are a hero, inspiring some of us to see there is more to life, than just Epilepsy.
        Thank you for sharing your conviction to “NEVER” let epilepsy rule anyone’s life.

Cheers!!!

Comment by Gerrie — August 10, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

• So right–I applaud your conviction. I tell myself that–but you know, sometimes I can’t connect the dots and live the words. How do you manage? ;)

Comment by Linda — August 22, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

7. I feel my life wouldn’t be worth much if I worried about having seizures constantlly. Medications didn’t control me until I finally had to get a heart pacemaker after being refractory more 47 yrs.

Belinda

Comment by Belinda S Brown (@Georgiaalways) — August 8, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

8. Wow lady. You DO have courage!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 8, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

9. phylis thank you for that comment.
    I just speak the way I feel
    Belinda

Comment by Belinda S Brown (@Georgiaalways) — August 8, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

10. Liza, I think if you emailed your local EFA

or called them (once you know where they are located), they may be able to guide you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 8, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

• Thanks! Appreciate all the support! Will definitely look into it. :)
      I am glad your own living situation has definitely taught you a think or two to teach us, if it hasn’t already!!

Comment by Liza — August 8, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

11. I had the good fortune to have an amazing roommate for 5 years. Before that I lived with a guy and that was OK. Before that, I had a crummy roommate (awful), maybe that’s why I went to live with my boyfriend. ;-)

But no complaints. All in all, I’ve been very lucky. Especially to have Arthur, my husband for 32 years. He’s a TERRIFIC roommate! (And I had a seizure on my first date with him.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 8, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

12. When I was dating before I married , I let my dates know about seizure disorder up front and 99% had no problem with it and if they did it was there loss.
    Belinda

Comment by Belinda S Brown (@Georgiaalways) — August 9, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

• I DIDN’T and it was MY loss. What messes I got into…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 9, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

• I sometimes told and sometimes did. It depended on the guys I dated. But either way, I think it’s a learning experience for all of us. :)

Comment by Liza — August 9, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

13. Safety advice for people with epilepsy

Like many people with epilepsy and their families, you may have concerns about safety in relation to seizures. In these web pages we look at some aspects of everyday life, where there could be a risk of injury during a seizure. We also make suggestions on how to reduce risk.

It’s important to remember that our safety suggestions are not right for everyone. So some things may not be relevant – or necessary – for you. For example, if you are seizure-free, you may only need to take the same precautions as someone without epilepsy. If you get a useful warning of your seizures, you may be able to reduce risk of injury by stopping what you’re doing. However, if you have fairly frequent seizures without warning, you may need to take extra care…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 9, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

14. Gerrie, this might really depress you. (Like you need more to bring you down.)

According to the facts behind “Fire and Rain,” James Taylor said the song chronicled his experiences in mental institutions, such as his stay in McLean Hospital in Massachusetts as a senior in high school, and the suicide of a friend.

The fire in the song refers to his shock therapy. Rain is the cold showers that follow shock therapy.

The second line of the song, “Suzanne the plans they made put an end to you,” refers to Suzanne Schnerr, a childhood friend of his who committed suicide while he was away recording his first album.

In that same account, Taylor said he had been in a deep depression after the failure of his new band “The Flying Machine” to coalesce (the lyric “sweet dreams and Flying Machines in pieces on the ground”; the reference is to the name of the band.)

As he was wondering what to do with himself, Schnerr’s death drove him to see beyond his own worries and realize the transience of life and his need to get back to his old friends.

Taylor also said a battle with drug addiction figured into the song.

He said that the song was written in three parts:

The first part was about Suzanne’s suicide.

The second part details Taylor’s struggle to overcome drug addiction and depression.

The third part deals with coming to grips with fame and fortune, looking back at the road that got him there…

Gerrie, the point is, he made it. So can you. And if you have any doubts, we’re here for you.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 10, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

• Ohhh,,, GOD Phylis,
      I had no idea nor did I knew anything about the facts behind James Taylor’s song “Fire and Rain,” or what the man had gone through, in the name of “therapy”

HOW COULD THIS BE LEGAL??????????????

What kind of,,,
      1. “VOODOO DOCTORS” would torment human being, for “medical treatment therapy”?

2. WHAT KIND OF MEDICAL SCIENCE WOULD PROVE PRACTICALLY HEALING, when people are “tormented”?

3. Which part of the TORMENT is “medical treatment” & which part is for “healing”???

LORD HAVE MERCY,,, So much for healing?

BTW Phylis,
      Through out the years, I simply kept hearing the SONG over the radios or movies, some how I felt like some connection to the OBVIOUSLY PHENOMENAL LYRICS of the song, smooth voice of the man & the classical rhythm of the music.

GREAT TO KNOW,,, People over come difficult odds & manage to become Heroes like “James Taylor”.

VERY SAD STORY BUT VERY UPLIFTING END!!!
      YES PHYLIS,,,Thanks for being there for me, I couldn’t have made it this far with out YOU, your website & all of our friends here on this SITE, sharing a whole lot more than Epilepsy.

Thank you all.

Comment by Gerrie — August 14, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

• Unfortunately, there’s a member of the Epilepsy Talk family who went through MUCH worse than James Taylor.

But, he’s succeeded with own business and just got married last week.

His early life was hell. But he’s overcome it to be a wonderful, wise, caring man. A true hero of our times.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 14, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

15. Good info. as usual.Not sure what I could add that has not been said? Reading stuff like this makes me understand just how blessed I am & have been for many yrs. Not long ago I would have laughed at most of this & brushed it off.
    With just my daughter & I in a small home there isn’t a lot of places I could change . In recent yrs. I have padded my bed, lol by placing lg. pillows on the sides of where I sleep & using them at the head & foot of the bed also,this has been helpful & keeps me from rolling out of bed during a long sz.
    At one time I used to always use a pillow on the floor when I laid on a couch. There is not a lot I can do .
    While I found out how different I was because I never let this scare me ,it also taught me how stupid I have been & lucky ,because well placed fear or learning from it would have been the better attitude.
    I do take shallow baths & never when in the house alone.
    Operating tools,machinery or doing much of anything where I could be injured is limited,when I am tired,sick, or in the heat or cold.
    I have spoken with a lot of people & read their stories about furniture & szs. & I think we all need padded coffee tables.
    I have no glass furniture, & will never live in another home with stairs.
    Thanks ,I am still reading & will try to say more. Rick

Comment by wichitarick — August 11, 2012 @ 2:06 AM

16. Oh the stairs. They are my worst enemy. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen up the stairs (a rare talent) and down.

The last time I broke my foot and I’m still in PT.

But miraculously, I’ve stopped falling down the stairs. I hope my “luck” doesn’t run out! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 11, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

• My mom replaced all the breakable stuff with plastic in the house till I moved out. I probably owe my mom a lot of money for breaking everything I did… : /

Comment by Liza — August 11, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

17. My specialty is glasses. Nice fancy crystal ones. In fact, I broke one (or two or three) before they even got onto the shelf.

So we ingeniously devised a collection of single champagne glasses. It works beautifully. Everyone can identify their glass.

Oh, and now I buy champagne glasses with short stems! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 11, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

• Nice! That’s a great idea! :) With Pinterest, they have great ideas too on for decoration, we just might be able to find some great ways to replace glass with plastic. And still have a great party drinking wine/champagne. Or heck, just go for the beer if you’re daring.

Comment by Liza — August 11, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

18. Champagne tastes, beer budget??? ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 12, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

19. […] more info go to:  http://epilepsytalk.com/2012/08/07/is-your-home-seizure-proof/ Share this:EmailPrint Pin ItLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Categories: Epilepsy […]

Pingback by Is Your Home Seizure-Proof? « EpilepsyConnection — August 28, 2012 @ 10:09 AM