Your Thyroid…What Everyone with Epilepsy Should Know | June 1, 2011

Touch your neck, right above your collar-bone, and you’ll find a little gland called your thyroid.  It only weighs an ounce, yet this thyroid’s hormones control your metabolism.

When those hormones are balanced, everything is fine.  But if your thyroid makes just a little less or more than you need…it could cause havoc, both with how you function and the effectiveness of your AEDs.

Hypothyroidism – or an underactive thyroid – is the real baddy.  It can result in fatigue, weight gain, constipation, fuzzy thinking, low blood pressure, fluid retention, depression, body pain, slow reflexes, and much more.

On the other hand, hyperthyroidism – an overactive thyroid — can result in a rapid metabolism and symptoms like: anxiety, insomnia, rapid weight loss, diarrhea, high heart rate, high blood pressure, eye sensitivity/bulging eyes, vision disturbances, and many other concerns.

Although any kind of hormone irregularity is cause for concern, endocrinologists, generally consider hypothyroidism the worse of the two.

Which leads us to the bad news…

In a new study, when researchers at the American Academy of Neurology called for hormone testing…

The team found that about 32% of epilepsy patients who were taking anti-epileptic drugs (both in mono or polytherapy) had thyroid hormone abnormalities.

The most relevant finding was in patients who were taking Depakote (Valproate) as a  monotherapy.

Previous studied had shown that Depakote increased the levels of thyroid-stimulating hormones which, in turn, can lead to hyperthyroidism.

However, when recent research compared anti-epileptic drugs, they found that the following drugs actually encouraged hypothyroidism.  (The no-no.)  These drugs were:

Depakote — Valproate (61.5% greater incidence of hypothyroidism)

Tegretol — Carbamaepine (47.9% greater incidence of hypothyroidism)

Dilantin — Phenytoin (17% greater incidence of hypothyroidism)

Although both thyroid irregularities can be successfully treated, you have to know they exist, in order to alter the situation.

If you have hypothyroidism, researchers suggest large doses of selenium — a common over-the-counter supplement — to bring your thyroid levels back up. You can probably get enough selenium by taking a good multi-vitamin and mineral product.  Just make sure you’re getting 200 mcg per day of selenium.

Hyperthyroidism is relatively rare and can be treated successfully with anti-thyroid drugs, prescribed by your doctor.

However, the bottom line is that thyroid illness is more common than you think. That’s why we need to be pro-active about thyroid testing. When you go to your internist, insist on running a full thyroid panel of T4, T3 and TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone).  Most docs will only test your TSH and tell you everything is ducky if you don’t spell out the full panel requested.

(Believe me, I speak from experience.)

Also, please take the initiative to ask for your results and check them against the norms, before you decide to take any action.  If you think you do have hypothyroidism, it’s as easy as taking selenium or a thyroid supplement.  And if your testing shows you to have hyperthyroidism, it’s just a matter of taking an anti-thyroid medication.  And in a little time, it will probably “fix” itself.  But make sure of your results first!

Your thyroid might be the last thing on your mind.  But please, if you’re on any kind of AED, ask your doctor to run a full thyroid test panel once a year.  It could make a world of difference in how you feel.

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles, go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. Whoa, Phylis, I could have written this, too. I am hypo-, and had half my thyroid surgically removed several years ago. The fatigue that preceded it was overwhelming. Unfortunately, I’m feeling it again now, but my doctor tests me regularly for TSH, T3, and T4. I am on L-thyroxine daily. It IS cause for concern. I battle the fatigue and weight gain. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Comment by Maggie — June 1, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

2. My thyroid situation is a big question mark. I went to Quest 3 times and they still didn’t get all the samples that were requested.

My new internist asked me to go to his local hospital this time for all of my bloodwork, because the system has on-line results in a jiffy and he can find out what’s actually going on.

(Maybe the crew at Quest are vampires in disguise!)

He also requested a zillion other blood tests, some ordinary CBCs, blood levels for drugs, and other ones I’m not sure about.

Happily, he’s thorough and at last I’ll find out what the real deal is!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 1, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

3. Quest. Uh. I don’t go there anymore, as the person who manned the lab was the most unpleasant, rude, unsmiling person I have ever, ever encountered. She always behaved as if the people coming in the door were the biggest bother to her. I couldn’t stand it, so go to the hospital lab instead. Love the idea of instant online results. That’s super. I can get mine by phone the same day.

Comment by Maggie — June 1, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

4. OK, so I’m replying in order to continue to be able to use Epilepsy Talk. Let’s see if I do this right.

Comment by Maggie — June 2, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

5. Nope, those boxes are nowhere in sight. What am I to do?

Comment by Maggie — June 2, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

6. Now I checked the two boxes in the email you sent. Maybe that’s what I needed to do. Hope I’m still signed up.

Comment by Maggie — June 2, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

7. If all else fails, you can go to the home page and at the end of the right hand column it says “manage your subscription.”

But I think once you post something new, the 2 boxes will appear at the end of your comment.

They sure don’t make it easy… :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 2, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

8. Hi Maggie,

I just did this. But, I didn’t reply under a Post. I used the Leave A Reply box. :) The 2 little boxes are rite under it. :) I thought about using the ones in the emal. But, thought I would try this first. :) My replies are coming thru. :)

Phylis, your article was Great! As Usul! :) :) Strange. A friend was visiting me this week & we were discussing Thyroid Issues. She had Crohn’s when younger & is concerned cuz, lately, DRS aren’t concerned & blow her off. Even though she has relevant symptoms. What’s weird, though, is she has symptoms for Both Hyper & Hypo. :( She is seeing a New DR soon. Hopefully she will get answers this time. I will get her to read this article First! :) Even though she doesn’t have EP. And she has done her ‘homework’ on the subject. Can’t hurt to have More Opinions. :)THANK YOU!

Love Candi

Comment by candi — June 5, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

9. Well, I just had to fill out everything except my mother’s maiden name under “Leave a reply.” Plus there are those 2 stupid boxes on the bottom also! They must have gotten hacked or something, to be this careful…or paranoid.

Any way, back to your friend Candi. The most essential thing is for her is to get a FULL panel of thyroid testing, which no one does, unless you INSIST. Here’s what she needs:

Thyroid Panel (TSH, T4, Free T4, Free T3)

This test includes the following:

Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
    Evaluates overall thyroid function.

Total Thyroxine (T4)
    Evaluates the total amount of T4 produced by the thyroid gland.

Free Thyroxine (T4)
    Evaluates the amount of T4 available to the cells and tissues.

Free Tri-iodothyronine (T3)
    Measures the amount of T3 (the active form of the hormone) available to the cells and tissues.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 6, 2011 @ 7:30 PM

10. WOW! You got a New Reply Box. QL that your site can be logged onto using other sites. Hope this Posts. I will be asking Patricia Questions about which tests were run. She said they drained her of a Lot of Blood when she was in the Hosp,. Repeating tests they had previously done in DR office.

I was just reading a Reply from Shelia concerning this thread. Seems she Has had All the tests done & she experiences Both Hypo/hyper, also. How Strange! No wonder DRs can’t figure us out. ;)

Love Candi

Comment by candi — June 8, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

11. Weird! My Reply posted, yet remained in the Leave a Reply Box, too. I deleted it, to type this message. :) Love Candi

Comment by candi — June 8, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

12. Noted I have several epilepsy.com & one coping-with-epilepsy.com, discussions saved as Fav on this topic. :) But, here is another Link I saved concerning Epilepsy/Thyroid. :) For those interested in this Topic. The More ya Know.! Ya Know? ;)

Love Candi

Comment by candi — June 8, 2011 @ 4:02 PM

• Unfortunately, they seem to have changed the topic. :-(

Or else, I’m my usually technology challenged self.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 8, 2011 @ 6:28 PM

13. I gotta say, this was an eye-opener. As I have aged, so have my thyroid levels. I was unaware that my medicines were playing a part in it’s action. I have also found that my cycle plays a big cue as to when it’s normal or down. Just another issue to address as I am middle-aged!

Comment by Sheila Dobbs Ilagan — June 17, 2011 @ 12:57 AM

14. Shelia, has anyone ever diagnosed you with Catamenial Epilepsy?

According to the Epilepsy Foundation: Catamenial epilepsy refers to seizures exacerbation and related to the menstrual cycle. The most common pattern is an increased tendency for seizures just before, or at the onset of menstruation.

Some women with epilepsy may have more frequent seizures mid-cycle, with ovulation. Causes of catamenial epilepsy include:
    •progesterone withdrawal premenstrually;
    •hormonal imbalances with high estrogen to progesterone ratios prior to ovulation; and
    •changes in anti-epileptic drug (AED) levels, i.e., decreased AED levels premenstrually.

Seizure exacerbation may also occur during the entire second half of the cycle in anovulatory cycles where the estrogen level becomes high, before midcycle without the protective effect of progesterone.

Some women with epilepsy may experience decreased serum AED levels premenstrually, related to increased hepatic metabolism of AEDs. Adjusting doses accordingly or using adjunctive AED therapy during this time may be helpful.

I hope this helps rather than confusing you! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 17, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

• Thank you, Phylis, for the information. While I was told some time ago that having increased seizure activity during the time a round my cycle, I was not told about the AED’s levels playing a part in my hormones, but I was given information about what to expect or look out for during this time…and, I was told it was something “normal,” and something to be expected at this time. Thank you for filling in the challenge with more detail!

Comment by Sheila Dobbs Ilagan — June 18, 2011 @ 1:44 AM

15. Thank you Phylis. I was just reading some of your comments and I just have a few questions on the thyroid subject. I have had epilepsy all my life and have been on and off AEDs until a couple of years ago. I have just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism or slightly low hypo and not looking forward to any long term treatment. I know it is the worse of the two but is it possible that the AEDs are what caused the hypo and do you have any recomendations for any natural treatment?

Comment by Kassandra — May 17, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

16. I’m not sure if AEDs are the culprit, but I do know that my friend has been using desiccated thyroid — a thyroid drug derived from the dried thyroid gland of pigs. (I know, it sounds gross.) She swears by it, and has been taking it for eons.

Common brand names include Armour Thyroid, Nature-throid, Westhroid, and Biotech. These are FDA-regulated, prescription drugs — not to be confused with over-the-counter, non-prescription thyroid glandulars that you can buy at the vitamin store.

To find out more about Armour Thyroid (the one my friend takes) and Thyrolar, take a look at http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/a/armour.htm

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 17, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

• This is a very important topic for all (probably TMI for all the men out there). I’m afraid to have to admit I’ve been on many different AED’s, however one issue is always the same: my thyroid always jumps from “too active,” to “slow,” within a 30 day cycle. Being female, I found that the hyper stage is just after my cycle, and I’m feeling great- but the hypo stage is just before the onset of my feminine cycle. Depression rises, but the water retention is always about 15 lbs., too. I not only recommend this test (I’ve gone both ways), but recommend also discussing the advantages and disadvantages to it’s treatment. It may hurt or harm you, based upon your reason for seizures. Better safe than sorry.

Comment by Sheila — May 18, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

• Catamenial Epilepsy – Do You Have It?

You could have “catamenial epilepsy,” or hormone sensitive seizures, a tendency for increased seizures related to your menstrual cycle. The causes of catamenial epilepsy are not totally understood. It could be an imbalance between your two female sex hormones, estrogen and progesterone, or you may not be producing enough progesterone during the second half of your menstrual cycle. It is also possible that the amount of antiepileptic drug (AED) circulating in your bloodstream may decrease before menstruation.

One of the main theories, is that seizures around periods may be due to fluctuations in the two major reproductive hormones, estrogen and progesterone, which rise and fall in the menstrual cycle.

The effects of those hormones on brain excitability are at the root of this theory. Estrogen seems to be the “bad guy,” lowering seizure threshold, while progesterone is the “good guy,” offering more protection against seizures and increasing seizure threshold.

Another theory is that seizures around menstruation are linked to premenstrual water retention, which upsets the normal balance of the anti-epileptic drug in your body, thus making it less effective. For this reason, doctors have commonly treated catamenial epilepsy with diuretics to reduce fluid.

You might ask your doc if you should ramp up your AEDs around the times of your cycle…but keep a menstrual diary first, so you can pinpoint the times better.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 18, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

• Im sorry if it seems I go back and forth a bit. I have actually been off of my AEDs for a few years now, since I noticed that they weren’t at all working when I was taking them, I weaned myself off of them. I know that those drugs do not stay in your body forever but I do know a couple of the ones I had been taking we’re a form of birth control. I had been wondering if those had some how messed with my estrogen and progesterone hormones and then somehow maybe just messed with my thyroid. I don’t believe that there is a cure for seizures but I do believe there is a way we can all work with ourselves to figure out what may trigger them and what doesn’t. I know I may not know much but in 24 years theres a lot that I have learned and def do not regret it because it has helped me through a lot and take better care of myself. Every one person with any form of epilepsy is different, but we can all try and help each other whether we are just there for each other to talk to or to figure this out together. So thank you for being there. I sometimes feel alone and that i wish i knew someone that understood but my family don’t no matter how hard they try. Im not downing them because I know they care but its just different. So for everyone out there who are feeling the same just know that your not alone. Hope for the best

Comment by Kassandra — May 18, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

• thankyou so much again Phylis. I was reading an article about the anti thyroid drugs, being made from the gland of pigs. I was just hoping maybe find some way to help it naturally and not having to take any long term drugs which may affect something else in the body that i don’t need right now. Thankyou so much for all
      your advice

Comment by Kassandra — May 18, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

17. Well, you can’t get more organic than the glands of pigs! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 18, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

18. This still fascinates me because my sister has had her thyroid removed because of lupus.
    I am trying to “re-learn” a lot of this info. & have a new computer I can trust so even if i’m going to forget it I would like to have some of my old files back.
    As I age & it is becoming obvious the effects from the aed’s are not going away ,this seems to be a very important one & something I will discuss soon with a doctor,along with the other list of problems that are becoming worse. Take care Rick

Comment by wichitarick — August 11, 2012 @ 2:31 AM

19. Rick, it’s great to have you back!

Do you think keeping a Daily Seizure Diary would help make you more aware of your triggers and changing behaviors?

As for thyroid, almost NO one ever pays attention to it. And they should. If for no other reason, for your overall health.

There’s so much we don’t know and docs (GPs included) never mention.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 11, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

20. When I am switched between generic and name brand thyroid meds, I experience weird episodes that have been diagnosed as seizures. It doesn’t matter that I am on Dilantin. As long as they leave my Synthroid alone I am fine.

Comment by Mary — January 8, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

21. So which are you on now? How are you feeling?

Interestingly, according to an Epilepsy Foundation report, more than 1000 consumers surveyed reported an increased risk of seizures and side effects when:

1. They switched from one manufacturer’s formulation of an anti-epileptic drug to another…

2. They switched between different manufacturers’ versions of the same generic drug…

3. They switched from a generic to a brand-name drug…

4. Or they switched from a brand-name drug to a generic.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 8, 2013 @ 3:13 PM

22. I stopped taking depakote when I was 12. I am now a twenty year old female and have many of the symptoms listed having to do with hypotyroidism. Is it possible after stopping depakote that long ago that i do have a thyroid problem?

Comment by alecis — January 27, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

• The manufacturers state that there have been reports of altered thyroid function tests associated with the use of valproate. However, no specific information is given.

There is one sentence in the precautions of the PDR that notes that there are reports of changes in the thyroid test, but that was all I could find.

Have you had a full thyroid panel done? ( T4, T3 and TSH — Thyroid Stimulating Hormone).

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 27, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

23. hyperthyroidism is of course an overactive thyroid gland. this could of lead into a number of health problems such as racing heartbeats and also panic attacks. I think that hyperthyroidism also contributes to the increase in the stress hormone cortisol. This means that we should treat hyperthyroidism as soon as possible because cortisol buildup is always dangerous to the human body leading to more health problems in the future..

Our favorite blog

Comment by Cathleen Atoe — February 3, 2013 @ 8:12 AM

• Cathleen,

Thanks for your helpful and valuable info.

Couldn’t get to your website right now, because the server is down for “maintenance”.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 3, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

24. I have been taking Dilantin for 26 years due to epilepsy and take Levothyroxine for hypthyroidism as well. I feel that my thyroid medications interacts with my seizure medication, when i take it like i’m suppose to i have a seizure. I talked to the doctor about the problem so he put me on another seizure medicine Lamotrigine. So now i’m taking Dilantin, Levothyroxine, and Lamotrigine and i feel horrible daily. My question is if i had my Levothyroxine changed to Armour Thyroid would there be a chance i would feel a any better? My hypothyroidism symptoms have never gone away the hairloss is bad. Is there anything i could take for the hairloss that wouldn’t interact with the medication i’m taking now? Thank You

Comment by melissa — February 23, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

25. My friend swears by Armour Thyroid and claims nothing else works for her. (She has terrible migraines.)

What is the difference between Armour, Thyrolar and the levothyroxine sodium drugs? Primarily, Armour and Thyrolar are drugs that provide BOTH T4 and T3 thyroid hormones, instead of just providing T4, as levothyroxine sodium drugs like Synthroid do.

To find out more about Armour Thyroid and Thyrolar, take a look at:

As for Lamictal, I have to say, Lamictal has been very good to me. The only problem I had was, at the beginning, I was taking Lamictal at night which made me crazy hyper. (And some say that it has sedative effects?)

And my experiences with Dilantin were miserable. I had long, long hair which I had to cut off. Now I wear my hair in a short bob which is kind of cute. ;-)

Next came galloping gum rot. (Get a good Periodontist.)

Finally, the dose became toxic and I went into a coma.

But, back then, the pickings were slim. Pheno or Dilantin? Period. So, I chose Dilantin which I felt was the lesser of the two evils. (How old do you think I am?)

You might want to read:

Dilantin – Hero or Horror?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 23, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

26. Its sometimes tricky getting docs to agree to do the more indepth T4, Free T3 tests.. I just had an endo visit where he wouldn’t do a DHEAs test or cortisol test that I wanted to do prior to switching back to Dilantin from Keppra.. he said it wasnt necessary..

Anyone ever go to those do it yourself lab test online places? Are they reputable? I think I saw that some of them get the collections from regular labs, but I wondered about how does the analysis with those groups.

If they are any good, that might be can option.. more expensive, but at least we could get the tests we want done..

Comment by Doug — February 25, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

27. “Don’t try this at home kids.” That’s how I feel about home testing. UNLESS you’re going to have a GOOD doc READ the results.

Arthur works with his naturopath long distance. (He’s in La Jolla.) Dr. Mark sends him all the materials for the tests, Arthur does them and then sends them back to HIM.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 25, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

28. The ones I’ve seen through online testing places claim to provide you with forms that you can take to LabCorp and have them drawn there by them. I assumed that they would provide the results as well.. but not sure how all that really works..

Comment by Doug — February 25, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

29. And what unknown dummy would be reading the results?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — February 26, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

• Good question… Although, the doc doesn’t interpret the testing, the labs do, correct? Don’t they just receive the results and let you know their opinion on the numbers provided by the lab?

Comment by Doug — February 27, 2013 @ 1:27 AM

30. I had a physical and got the GP to do a TSH and T4.. He didn’t want to do the T3 and said it wasn’t necessary unless the other numbers were off. Both came back in the normal range, so I guess that means I’m okay with regard to thyroid??

Comment by Doug — April 17, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

31. Yes! Definitely GOOD news! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 18, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

32. Phyliis, so you think then that is good enough? I don’t need to worry that yet another doc wouldn’t do the T3? If what he says is true, that its not necessary, if T4 is normal then fine, but I thought a full thyroid might be needed because of how sneaky AED related thyroid issues can be..

Comment by Doug — April 18, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

33. Well, interestingly enough, I had a similar experience.

My GP only ordered a TSH (which he read himself).

He said if he saw any problems (which he didn’t), he would test further.

The numbers were fine, so that sounded ok with me.

(Plus I had a full panel a year ago.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 18, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

• I was wondering if you had ever come across any specific literature that suggested Keppra might cause thyroid issues? My vitamin shop friend suggested I look at thyroid as a possibility with regard to my worsened fatigue and weakness.

Didn’t know if that was realistic though given my normal test results that I mentioned above..

Comment by Doug — May 18, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

34. If you google “keppra thyroid problems,” you’ll find tons of forums where people are talking about their issues with keppra and thyroid.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 19, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

• I did that but didn’t find much I would call definitive.

Comment by Doug — May 23, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

35. Aside from TSH, T4 and T3 is it generally considered necessary to also do thyroid antibody tests, such as the ones discussed at this link?

Comment by Doug — August 15, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

• GOOD link!

The simple answer is: No.

If you go to an internist, he/she will probably order a TSH reading. Period.

Personally, I consider that lazy.

Mine does, but since I wrote about an endocrinology book in my last life, I learned the ropes and that’s what my endocrinologist requests also.

When it was suspected that I had Hashimoto’s Disease (a not-so-rare form of thyroid cancer),
      they obviously stepped up the testing.

But for most, I think T3, T4 and TSH are sufficient.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 15, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

36. A wonderful trivia fact about thyroid cancer (scars).

That’s why Queen Alexandra always wore that pearl collar around her neck.

AND, that’s why June Cleaver always wore pearls!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 15, 2013 @ 8:30 PM

37. I was on Tegretal for 20 years and becoame seizure free I was goin g to get off my ,ed but smaer meters started triggering the seires again. Long story short. I was being weaned off of tegretal and being put on Topiramate no prob with Topiramate weaning off the Tegreatal was not bad till I got to the 1 pill 200 mg then all hell broke out. It started slowly but then started to get worse. Heper and loosing sleep. My docotr GP not no ENDO said the Teg did not cause my Hyrpthroidism. Did bloodwork when I was still on the Tegretal and my TSh levels were good. I have been off the Tegretal now for one week I have all the side effects of having too much Thyroid medication, shakiness, palpitations, insomnia and massive change in appetite.

Np sleep is making me very sick the Radio frequency radiation from the meter at the end my drivway is making me sick and sleep deprivation provokes seizures THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!

So I took matters in my own hands and stopped the Synthoid this morning. I am on 88mcg 1 day.

Comment by Lisa — November 29, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

38. Do you think it’s the absence of Tegretol or just taking the Synthyroid without a “buffer”?

Have you checked this out with your endocrinologist? Because often neuros (and, in some cases, GPs), know squat about thyroid issues.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 29, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

• I have been on the Synthroid for at least 3-5 years and have not needed a buffer. This all started when I got weaned off the Tegretal. My Neurologist said we will know for sure if the Tegretal gave me they hyprothyroidism if I start showing the signs like I am now of being over medicated because the Tegretal was surpressing my Thyroid. I ordered 200 mcg of Selemium I will be rec that hopefully on Monday or Tuesday and I will be starting it ASAP.

Comment by Lisa — November 29, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

39. Great. Let me know how it works!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — November 29, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

40. Update. I stopped my Synthyroid on Nov 27 so this is now starting day 8. I heard from another site I was on that an Endo told a patient that Synthyroid has a 7 day half life and it would be out of my system in 30 days. It has been a little bit better with the insomia I have to drink sleepytime tea at night. I am not sick anymore from the over medication, and am now able to eat the palpitati are stopped and the shakiness is much less. My eyes are no longer buging out and I am no loger climbing the walls.

I am under stress right now becasue the city has just forced me into signing a agreement to pay a monthly fee of $15.00 to keep my analog watrer meter. If I did not sign this agreement and pay the extortion they would revoke my ADA accomodation and put a radio read meter on my home which trigger grand mal seizures and massive side effetcs so I am up again at 2:30 in the morning!!!!

But I have to say my skin is sooooo much softer since I stopped taking the Tegretal and Synthyroid! It is remarkable! So the only med I am on now is the Topiramate for the seizures. I will be going for bloodwork in on Dec 27th on the 30th day.

My GP has no idea I am off the Synthyroid he is going to see the results in the bloodwork. It is my body! as my Neurologist said the only way we are going to know if the Tegretal gave you the Hyprothyroidism is by getting me off it.

If the Tegretal didn’t give me the Hyprothyroidism wouldn’t I be sick alreay? How would my dry skin become so smooth that I have not seen in over 15 years that is how long I have been on Tegretal.

Now I am going to try and get some sleep.

Comment by Lisa — December 4, 2013 @ 3:51 AM

41. Lisa, I did some research and this might interest you:

“Some thyroid patients in the U.S. who do not take levothyroxine sodium (the generic name for Synthroid, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Euthyrox) are instead prescribed either Armour Thyroid or Thyrolar, two drugs produced by the same manufacturer, Forest Pharmaceuticals.

Primarily, Armour and Thyrolar are drugs that provide BOTH T4 and T3 thyroid hormones, instead of just providing T4, as levothyroxine sodium drugs like Synthroid do.”

Full info at: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/a/armour.htm

Then there’s the ‘thyroid hormone replacement drug, prepared from the thyroid gland from pigs — also known as ‘porcine thyroid.’ (Don’t get grossed out. A friend of mine takes it and feels worlds better.)

“Some of the brand names include Armour Thyroid, Nature-throid, and Westhroid.

Desiccated thyroid is a prescription drug, and it’s regulated by the FDA. It has been on the market and safely used for more than 100 years.

Until synthetic thyroxine (also known generically as levothyroxine, with brand names including Synthroid, Levoxyl, and Levothroid) was introduced in the 50s, desiccated thyroid was the only thyroid hormone replacement medication.

For more info, go to:

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 4, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

42. I have had a full thyroid panel done yesterday because of my abnormal menstrual cycle and because I am on keppra. The doctor, not my primary care but one of her colleagues saw me, she was concerned about it.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 8, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

43. Excellent Crystal. Stay proactive. Your body will thank you! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 8, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

• I will. I have a follow up appointment next week.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 8, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

• Tomorrow morning I know for sure what is going on with my thyroid hormones.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 17, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

44. Not feeling good started on Saturday ( also my husband) feeling like I came down with a virus. I had a low grade temp on Monday I I am very restless can’t sleep even worse I still have the insomnia. My husband also didn’t feel good he took vit C so did I my low grade temp 99 100 broke yesterday but I sill feel sick today. I am still getting the chills on and off. Going for bloodwork today I have been off the Synthroid since Nov 27th. My skin is still soft. I am not able to eat now I have no appitiet at all I seem to be urninating more still have a little chest pain so I am taking COQ10. I have a sev upset stomach also. Still fighting!!! I am calling my neuro to get a level of my Tapiramate I have been on that for almost 2 months now. I got Metabolic Acidoces from a med earlier this year and got off of it I know this can be a side effect of the Tapiramate I want to make sure that is not happening again. I just do not know what is wrong. My husband says I am worrying myself sick. He most likely is correct. I am asking my neurologist if I can take Melatonin at night to help me sleep I need gto get better sleep. I still have 19 days to go till the Synthroid is out of my system.

Comment by Lisa — December 10, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

45. I’m not a doctor, but it sounds like you have an awful cold.

CoQ10 is an excellent idea and you might consider probiotics for your digestion. (I take both.)

And having bloodwork is also an excellent idea.

Right now, we don’t know WHY you feel so sick…just that you’re completely miserable.

The question is why?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 10, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

46. I know why and I sick? This can’t be from the Thyroid can it? I am going to force feed oatmeal with freshly ground flax I have 0 appetite so I am going to have to force feed. I called my neurologist and asked her to fax bloodwork today to my lab on the taporamate. My husband wants to wait and get the bloodwork on the my thyroid in late Dec after 19 days when the Synthroid is out of my system (30days). But I was low on B12 about 11 weeks ago or so I think it was 363 which I am taking sub B12 2200 mcg a day. I am going to call my GP and advise about being sick and see if he can prescribe a antibiotic I do not take antibiotics normally but now I will.
    I got dressed and decided to get up. I am soar from laying down my.

Comment by Lisa — December 10, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

• I know that when I went off Synthroid, nothing happened. In fact, I took myself off of it.

Personally, I think you should stick to semi solids (soft boiled eggs?) and order those probiotics. They’re wonderful for aiding digestion.

You already know how important B-12 is.

But if you have blood work for your thyroid (as I just did this morning) make sure you get the WHOLE panel, not just TSH.

That means:

Thyroid Panel (TSH, T4, Free T4, Free T3)

This test includes the following:

Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
      Evaluates overall thyroid function.

Total Thyroxine (T4)
      Evaluates the total amount of T4 produced by the thyroid gland.

Free Thyroxine (T4)
      Evaluates the amount of T4 available to the cells and tissues.

Free Tri-iodothyronine (T3)

I hope this helps. (You and me!!!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 10, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

47. Update: Tapiramate thought I had a vrus wrong it is a zeizure med. fever, chills, ,nervousness, severe insomia 11 weeks, nausia, frequent urination, lower back and side pain,ringing buzzing ears, diarrhea for 8 weeks, stomach cramps restlessness hot flushes.

My neurologist is weaning me off as of today and putting me on the less stonger Gabatntin.

Comment by Lisa — December 10, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

• OMG! That’s scary that one drug can do all that to your body.

Here’s to your road to recovery.

Let’s hope the Gabapentin is a winner!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 11, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

• I am not goining to start the gabapentin right a way my body needs to recover this is nuts I am so sick.

Comment by Lisa — December 11, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

48. Well, I’m sure the blood work will tell the tale.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 10, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

• Lisa, they have to titrate you up slowly either way.

So please. I know it’s easy to say, but hang in there.

Do something you like doing to cheer yourself up.

For me it’s reading — an instant escape.

(What I’m trying to say in a nice way is — divert yourself!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 11, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

49. I hope you feel better Lisa.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 11, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

• Gof Bless you all of you. I am fignhting it really I am I have always been a fighter. I am not starting the Gabapentin today no way. I do not have Epilespy my seizures were triggered my the radio frequency radiation from the water meters. So we are buying special RFR blocking materal to cover our windows to stop it from entering. My body needs to heal from this drug and what it has done and what it is still doing to my body. It will be 4 weeks befor I will be off this dreadful med. I am starting myself on Krill oil tomorrow. as of last night I went down 1 pill and the chest pain on the left side of my chest stopped. I still have the insomia but not as bad and I am still sick like I have the fly, still have pressure on the right side of my chest naisia, no appitite, blurred vision, depression, severes bone and join pain, now I have head achess, the increased urnination seamed to slow down a little bit, dry mouth not being able to swallow,stopped, cramps stopped, chills during the day seemed to have stopped today. Ringing in the ears a little less I still have more side effects but that is enough. The main thing is that I am geting off of it. The Lord will help me get through this. I have good freinds and the most wonderful husband.

God Bless all of you :)

Comment by Lisa — December 11, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

• What a horrid way to get epilepsy.

Radio frequency radiation from the water meters!

That’s inexcusable. Is the water company doing anything to support either you or your expenses?

If a signed note from your neuro identifies this as the cause, I think that whomever is (really) in charge should be contacted and demanded to take care of your expenses.

This, to my knowledge, is cause and affect. And they should make good on both the cause and the effects.

This is reprehensible.

Lisa, you said you were a fighter. Now’s the time to stand up for yourself and be heard.

Comments anyone???

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 11, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

• Let me explain I was seizure free for 16 years my seizures srtared i day for now reason I had a grand mal. I never had epilespsy as per johns Hpokin I had a rare chem imbal .I cured myself.I was a bout to be weaned off tegret then FPL put in the smart energey meter and after 16 hyears of now sezured the early warnings came back I started to get bvery sick I called and begged thwm to take them off my neighbors homes they would not 5 days later I had a grand mal seizure3 I was lucky my husbvand was home rhwy removed my neighbors meters and I got relief within 1.2 days of each removeal. It took me 6-7 moths to reover from the speech imped and tremers and not being able to walk on my own. The the city installed the water meters with out notice and they new of my medicle condition. They will not remove the water meter that is at the end off my drivway across the street 100-10 feet away from my front door which is cauzing me my seziures.and they are forcing me to pay $15.00 for a ADA accomodation which is illgal under ADA or they will remove my analog meter and put the radio read meter back on wqhich can kill me. when I have a sever grand mal seizure I can stop breathing, fall and hit my head I have tile floors. Tht happened to my neighbor next door. the son had a grand mal seiure was while on the cel phone he complained of headaches (first sign) was visting for 1 week and they have 3 smart meters on one side of the house. My husband had to run over becasue he knows what to do + he had to adminster CPR and stop the bleeding. This is becasue of the smart meters. There is scientific PROOF ON THE DAMAGE RADIO FREQUENCY MICROWAVE RADIATION DOES TO THE BODY 20,000 studies. I was a happy working woman now I am diabled selling all of my collectables having to sell my home my huband bult to buy land in rual Florida were there is no meters. My city council were I does not care if I live or die.

Comment by Lisa — December 11, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

50. Sorry I am still not feeling so good so my typing is screwing up. I have to pay extortion which is illegal under ADA $15.00 per month to keep my analog meter or they are going to strip away an ADA accomodation which is illegal.

Comment by Lisa — December 11, 2013 @ 4:22 PM

• Go to an EFA advocate or your local congressman. This is clearly illegal and discriminatory.

Look at this link for FREE Legal Resources

They are robbing you of everything you have.

And you MUST take legal action.

If not for yourself (I doubt you’re alone) than for all the other people who are suffering this extortion.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 11, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

• There are alos 2 other people in my city that are disables and 9 others. The same thing that is happening to them is happening to me. One got an ADA attorney and would have to pay fees up to 25k for filling fees and so on. There is no such thing as free. We have been consulting an attorney for a few weeks and we are being told this is a toxic tort case and we will need at least 50k.

The city attornney’s know this and this is why they are doing what they are doing. we have contacted our Gov nothing, Congressman nothing, State Rep nothing.

The smart meters are coming to your homes as well.
        It is part of the smart grid. Thousands of studies link biological effects to RF radiation exposure, including increased cancer risk, damage to the nervous system, adverse reproductive effects, DNA damage, and more.

Smart meter installations are causing fires, explosions and burnt out appliances in homes across the US Canada and Australia.

LADWP is the largest utility in the United States. It serves 4 million customers with 1.4 million meters.as of March 2013 LADWP is offering its customers a free opt out and they are not replacing the smart meter with another AMI disgital meter which deplos dirty electricty they are replacing it with an analog meter.
        This is a landmark case. FPL my utility wants to charge me 16.00 a month to save my life. The problem is that once the meters gone on my neighbors homes I am in trouble. That is why I have to sell my home and get a 2.50 acre lot in rual area.

The smart meters are very dangerous for children prenant women, the elderly, people with seizures, EMF Senitiities, medicle implants, seniors, compromised immune systems. a freind of ours father has a pacemaker they put on a smart meter and he had 2 heart attacks in one day. They removed the smart meter and did not put the analog meter back on they put a digital meter. You have to protect yourself you do not want to end up like me. You might not feel
        it right away but it is a silent killer.

We are fighting our Gov and Corporations. The money to the power companies is all from the TARP.

We are trying to find a reporter that will print our story. The paper Scrpps Editor wife works for FPL and is fighting us on the smart meter opt out and stopping any true info from being printed about the smart meters in the news paper. Only pro smart meter propaganda gets printed in the paper.

See what we are up against.

Feeling the same today I know it will take time a few weeks to get off this med but I am so done with big parma they are killing us. My doctors nurse called me up yesterday and said the doctor wanted you to start the Gabapentin right away this will help me with my musle and joint pain. Are you kidding me???? I was shocked I aksed him if he could repeat what he said again and he did. Talk about pushing a pharm I told him how sick I was that my body needed some time to detx and heal I only have one body and I can not abuse it! It is still being abused for 4 weeks with me being weaned off the TTopiramate. That is a nasty drug I read up on it on the internet OMG. And I was told it was safe. I can not belive the perm damage from side effects people have. Go to the Topriamate lawsuites.

By that time, Topamax’s U.S. sales had already topped $10 billion. Ortho-McNeil was also promoting Topamax for unapproved uses such as treatment of bipolar disorder and alcohol dependency. Its marketing efforts included a “Doctor for a Day” program, which enlisted doctors to join sales representatives and talk to other doctors about “off-label” Topamax uses.

In 2010, Ortho-McNeil pleaded guilty to illegally promoting Topamax and agreed to pay a $6.14 million fine. That year, its affiliate, Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, also agreed to pay $75.37 million to resolve similar allegations under the federal False Claims Act.

In September 2011, several Topamax lawsuits were filed in state court in Philadelphia. Families across the country who have suffered Topamax birth defect injuries continue to file personal injury claims.

Comment by Lisa — December 12, 2013 @ 7:50 AM

51. Lisa, now that you mention it, we DID have some kind of “smart meter” put into our house years ago and the house almost burned down.

Our first clue was the sparks going off. (DUH.) We had it replaced by a private electrician.

Is there a lawyer who will take your case(s) on contingency?

I still think you should call your local Epilepsy Foundation with your story — as you’ve so eloquently documented it here.

(I spent an hour trying to research it and got nowhere. I didn’t even understand what I was looking for.)

This is a public danger.

Can you replace the box with a private electrician like we did?

How about going with the issue to a newspaper? Newspapers LOVE a good story.

And they could put it in a quasi question format so they wouldn’t cause libel, a law suit themselves, etc.

At the very least (being a writer myself), they could have a provocative headline.

This must go public.

There aren’t enough people for a class action suit.

That’s why I think (or hope) your local EFA could be an advocate.

P.S. An ADA attorney will only be working in THEIR interest. You need someone impartial who will defend YOU and use the toxicity info you already have.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 12, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

• I have been working with 2 other disbled women in my city who are sick from the meters and are disables. and yes we have been trying to find a lwyer for some time now. One just got dropped and other might have one but this is a toxic tort case so you are looking at 50K just to start and she would have to start findraising becasue she doesn’t have that find of $$. The Florida Epilsepy Foundation is sponsord by the State of Florida. The state will do nothing to help me. I do not have a smart energy meter on my home I never had I got sick from my neighbors. I am currently getting radiated from the water meter that is 1 foot in the ground across the street from my driveway. Radiofrequency Radiation travels up and out. The local newspaper Scripps Editior wife is an Exec at FPL our Power company and is traveling across the state fighting to stop anti smart meter townh hall meetings and she prints pro smart meter propganda thru her husband at who is the Edtitor so that has been very hard for us. We are fighting the federal gov and Corporations the machine this is not as easy as you think. I have what people call the best medically documented case in the country and look what is happening to me. Gov take the gamle they know people do not have $$ for lawyers and many lawyers are corrupt and work for the system.

When you start to speak to people about this most do not even believe me. My neighbor doesn’t even believe me even though I have my doctor stating the meters are causing my seizures.

The problem is many peopole who are sick have no ide why they are sick. Thney have no idea it is coming from the smart meters.

Educate your friends and family this is a danger to all of us. There is something else. One the smart meters are installed they are meshed into a newtork and that is even worse and more dangerous.

Not feeling good today I hate this dryg. I am tired so tired. I just want to be left alone and live my life in peace and not have to worry about the RFR from the meters every single day of my life. Living in fear the FPL is going to put the meters back on my neighbiors home and I am going to become a vegetable.

Comment by Lisa — December 13, 2013 @ 7:55 AM

52. This is a vieo from my city coucil meeting this was regarding the smart water meter that was put on my front lawn and at the end of my driveway across the street and on all my neighbors homes and after one of my seizures. The side effects I got are below. I have a rare complex migraine disorder that I did so well and reoved that I got off my medication till the meters came in. After the meter was removed from my tremors speech and not being able to walk coordination took sometime to get back to normal. I am still being radiated from the meters at the end of my driveway so I am still having seizures.

I did not look like this before the smart meters.

The migraines were nonstop and severe, like someone was putting a hammer to my head. I had severe nausea, tremors in my hands, arms, shoulders and legs, dizziness and lightheadedness, earaches and crackling noises in my ears, heart palpitations and chest pains. It often felt like the room was spinning and like I was going to pass out. At times I couldn’t even write on a paper without my hand slipping off, and couldn’t move some limbs. My left arm and hand felt like they were not there, and I had to drag my left leg. Sometimes I was numb completely, from the neck down. I could not sleep at all, and I had real trouble concentrating and finding words. I was stuttering, and sometimes I couldn’t form words or even speak at all. I was severely ill. A rush would go through my body and then I would have no motor control.

seizures and migraines, motor function problems including partial paralyses, tremors and speech impediment, imbalance and dizziness, severe nausea and malaise, insomnia, anomia, earaches and crackling noises in her ears, chest pains and palpitations, severe joint and muscle pain, difficulty concentrating and temporary memory loss.

Poeple across the country in Aust and UK have the same type of side effects.

Comment by Lisa — December 13, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

• Phylis can you please email me it is very important very important.

Comment by Lisa — December 13, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

53. I just lost my email watching the video.

Although the issue of legalities are not part of this website, you clearly need some very ambitious lawyer (pro bono) to help you.

A sweet lady quoting Anne Frank is not going to do it. You need passion, fire, determination.

I would suggest you find a lawyer from the ABA who ambitiously wants to prove a point.

How do you even know if it’s a torte case or whether someone was trying to put a spin on it to their advantage?

I’m really sorry I can’t help you any further, but this definitely isn’t my field.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 13, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

54. Guess what Crystal?

I got my thyroid panels back last night and they’re NORMAL!

I hope the same goes for you. Or if not, at least they can put their fingers on a specific problem.

Let me know how it goes…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

• I got a call from GP yesterday My TSH up from 1.54 to 16.19, T4 stayed the same 1.05 and the T3 down from 3.1 to 2.6. I have been recov from being weaned off of Topiramate and I was feeling beter no signs of fatigue he was stumped. Said he wants to morintor me. I got NO sleep last night got myslef all orked up. I have Raw Thyroid suppmnt in the house I called and asked if I can take it. I am taking 200mc Selenium every other day. I have to calm down and not be nervous.

Comment by Lisa — December 17, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

• Here’s what I found Lisa:

“Thyroid stimulating hormone, usually abbreviated TSH, is manufactured by the pituitary gland.

Release of TSH stimulates the thyroid to make T3 and T4, the hormones responsible for thyroid function.

If the thyroid stops functioning, TSH levels rise as the body attempts to “force” the thyroid to produce hormones.

This reaction, known as a feedback loop, causes TSH levels to rise above their normal range.

High blood levels of TSH indicate an underactive thyroid, or hypothyroid, a condition that affects as many as 10 percent of women and six percent of men older than age 65 years, the Merck Manual states, and causes a variety of symptoms.”

Mental Changes

“People with elevated TSH often experience mental changes. They may become depressed, suffer memory loss, and have difficulty processing information.”

What and how is your GP going to monitor you for?

Did you ask him about the raw thyroid?

(Although, if he is a traditional type, he might not even know what you’re talking about and say “no”.)

From Dr. Weil:

“Rather than giving Synthroid (T-4) alone, Dr. Weil prefers combinations of the two natural hormones (T-3 and T-4), and often recommends the prescription drug Thyrolar.

Under normal conditions, the body can convert T-4 into T-3; however, there is some question whether the body can do this optimally when under extreme physical or emotional stress.

Giving a combination seems to elicit a more natural response for the body, and may also have a better effect on mood than T-4 alone.”

I hope all that is more helpful than confusing…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

• My GP gave me no prblem when I asked to go on the Armour. He started me on 30 mg on Christmas Day. I got sick by Friday evening and stopped taking the armour and started back on the Synthroid. But on the Synthroid I felt no better. I went to a very good ENDO on Dec 30th and started me on 30 mg Armour in th
        e morning and 15mg in the eve. I started the Armour on Dec 31 and by Thursday afternoon started to get sick again. That is 2 times within 3 days I got sick. I thought it was becasue the level was too low. So as of today I am not to take any more Armour till Monday morning becasue the covering Endo wants to make sure it is not the Armour making me sick.

So I feel awful sick to my stomach – nausia and feel like I got something had a good lunch but can not eat dinner. I have to deal with it until Monday morning when both my doctors are back from vacation.

I do not know what to do I still want to try NDT. naturethroid has too much fillers I went to the website stop thethyroid madness and there is a list of all the NDT manuf and what is in each pill. I have food allergies, MSG and gluten in tol I thought the Armour was the best. Who knows.

Comment by Lisa — January 3, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

• Lisa, here’s some info I found:

Mental Changes

And here’s what Dr. Weil has to say:

Also, sensibly, Dr. Weil recommends “the same supplement mix that anyone should use to optimize health, including a quality multi-vitamin/multi-mineral formula, two grams of fish oil, and 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily.”

I hope this is helpful, rather than confusing!
        l

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

• Thank you :) I do like Dr. Weil. I am ordering Krill oil and I am speaking to my GP about the Thryrolar not going to go back on the Synthroid.

Now all I have to do is stop getting myself upset and calm down so I sated reading the Bible.

Comment by Lisa — December 17, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

55. Went to the doctor today turns out my thyroid is fine, but I have ovarian cysts and I have to be referred to a OB and start on OCPs but my insurance would not cover it.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 17, 2013 @ 1:25 PM

• Here’s what PubMed had to say:

“Functional ovarian cysts are a common gynecological problem among women of reproductive age worldwide.

When large, persistent, or painful, these cysts may require operations, sometimes resulting in removal of the ovary.

Since early oral contraceptives were associated with a reduced incidence of functional ovarian cysts, many clinicians inferred that birth control pills could be used to treat cysts as well.

This became a common clinical practice in the early 1970s.”

Here’s the low-down (from PubMed) on:

“Out-of-pocket expenditures for oral contraceptives and number of packs per purchase.

Women paid an average of 14 dollars per pack of OCPs, and 73% obtained only 1 pack per purchase.

On average, privately insured women paid 60% of the total expenditures for OCPs.

Women who had no prescription drug coverage, who were uninsured, or who were privately insured but not in managed care plans had higher out-of-pocket expenditures.

Women who were without prescription drug coverage or who were in managed care plans were more likely to obtain only 1 pack per purchase.

CONCLUSION:

Out-of-pocket costs and dispensing restrictions may be barriers to consistent use of OCPs.

Women’s health care providers should consider options to overcome these barriers, such as the use of mail order prescription services.”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 17, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

56. managed to get it sorted out. though the medication that i am starting is out of stock so i am going to start tomorrow.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 17, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

57. SUPER!

Let me know how it works!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 18, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

58. i will. hope you have a safe and seizure free christmas.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 18, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

• got the medication, i start taking it on sunday after my cycle stops. and also my neurologist told me that it will help with the seizures as well.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 18, 2013 @ 2:47 PM

59. Crystal, Has anyone ever mentioned Catamenial Epilepsy to you before?

Catamenial Epilepsy – Do You Have It?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 18, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

• well i start the the pill tomorrow, hopefully it will help with these abnormal cycles. with in the next few weeks i will see a OB GYN about the ovarian cysts, and yes i am going to tell my neurologist what is going on.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 21, 2013 @ 1:13 AM

60. not sure but i will have neurologist give me my full diagnosis next time i see him. and that is probably one of the reasons he wanted me to keep track of my periods because i am more at risk of having seizures while on my cycle because of the stress and the hormones. and my primary care doctor knows about the situation.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 18, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

61. I don’t mean to sound sexist, but most male doctors don’t have a clue about Catamenial Epilepsy.

So read up first, and maybe take a look at this link:

Secrets to Better Care from Your Doctor

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 19, 2013 @ 10:07 AM

62. Sometimes, AEDs are upped when or during the cycle if you do have Catamenial Epilepsy.

That would help with the seizures and your periods at large.

So, it’s good that your neuro and GYN will be working together.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 21, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

• btw, my morning keppra dose was increased over the summer because of staring spells.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 21, 2013 @ 11:43 AM

63. first i need to get the appt set up with the GYN to evaluate these cysts, just waiting for the call from the referral nurse, hopefully it will be soon, and i asm going to tell my neuro what is going on. well at least my primary care doctor knows about it.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 21, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

64. YAY!!! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 23, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

65. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 23, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

66. so far so good. just hopefully i won’t be having no more cysts.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 23, 2013 @ 4:41 PM

• well i am going to see the ob gyn soon to figure out why i have cysts on my ovaries.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 26, 2013 @ 12:45 PM

67. Let me know when. And remember to be prepared, with a full list of questions.

Our operators are standing by… :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 26, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

68. i will be just like any other doctor appt. jan 7th. thankfully the OCP’s doesn’t interact with the keppra. and the doctor i saw for abnormal menstrual cycle gave a summary of the visit, so i probably should bring that with me.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 26, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

69. Glad that you have a summary to bring with you.

Sounds like this guy might be on the ball, after all! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 26, 2013 @ 6:46 PM

70. yes she is, the doctor at my primary care dr’s clinic, is on top of it. but i have not told my neurologist yet, won’t see him until the 14th of january, and i am going to tell him.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 26, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

71. It’s also a good idea to bring a list of all the meds you’re on. (Med name, mg, dose — and how many times a day you take it.)

I type up one master list, give it to each doc, then they
    know what I’m taking and there are no conflicts.

Also, it’s always on hand and easy to change when a med or dose is changed.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 27, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

72. right now i am on three: the keppra, birth control, and bezoyl peroxide, for my acne, topical treatment. and i will also put down my allergies to medications.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 27, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

73. Perfect. You may want to note any vitamin supplements too. Just in case there’s a conflict.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — December 27, 2013 @ 2:33 PM

• not currently taking any vitamins because i am getting it through my foods, my neurologist and i had a talk about it.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — December 27, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

• i am going to see the OB GYN tomorrow, hopefully she is able to help me out. and i probably should tell my neurologist what is going on as well at my next appt.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 6, 2014 @ 10:50 PM

74. Lisa,

I found some articles that are nutritionally oriented and may be of interest to you…

3 Ways to Boost Thyroid Function

13 Ways to Treat Hypothyroidism Naturally

Home Remedies for Hypothyroidism (No, I don’t know what Bladder Wrack seaweed is!)

Seven tips to treat hypothyroidism naturally

I think diet may be the best way for you to go…but that’s just one person’s opinion.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 3, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

• Starting Westhroid possibly tomorrow 48.75 mg. My Endo suggested going back to Synthroid but I said no I was sick under Synthroid. I suggested Westhroid and he gave me no problem.

Comment by Lisa — January 6, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

• Interesting article on Armour vs. Other Brands

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 6, 2014 @ 12:30 PM

• Well I was supposed to start my Westhroid P on eTuesday but the Pharm could nopt get the starting dos from their supplier. I am being started on 48.75 mg. So after 2 days I got my pharm to order direct with Westhroid and it is being drop shipped. I should have it by tomorrow. Now after all of this I better not have a problem with this NDT. Keep your fingures crossed.
        Now I have been off the Topiramate for 9 days and a lot of the side effects are starting to wear off. Still having problems sleeping every so often I started 1mg of Melatonin I am going to get Valerian on Friday to trake with the Melatonin.

Comment by Lisa — January 9, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

75. When I was took off of Tegretol (had been on it for 30 years) I kept rocking back and forth to the beat of my heart. It was very obvious, even to people in public. I had been taking Synthroid for an underactive thyroid for almost 30 years. I guess the Tegretol had caused my underactive thyroid, so when I was took off of it (and still was on Synthroid) and put on Keppra I stopped having an underactive thyroid. Now I don’t have to take any thyroid medicine.

Comment by Rhonda — January 5, 2014 @ 8:55 PM

76. Amazing what meds can do. And how they can screw up your system.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 6, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

• Especially after you’ve been on the same medicine for SO many years. You just get so used to the side effects, you think it’s normal to feel that way.

Comment by Rhonda — January 6, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

• Sad but true.

If you bang your head against the wall all the time, you think that pain is “normal”. :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 6, 2014 @ 9:40 AM

77. Excellent Crystal! Keep me posted.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 7, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

78. Great. That a first step. Now, let’s see what the OB/GYN says.

And if you can, have the docs contact each other.

(I know it’s a stretch, but at least you can try!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 8, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

• i will make sure that all of my doctors are in contact with each other. and keep the best therapies going for me.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 8, 2014 @ 3:36 PM

• btw, i saw the OB GYN yesterday, she seems very nice, explains everything before and as she does it, that makes me feel more relaxed.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 8, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

• next week is my 6 month appt with my neurologist to touch base, health wise.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 8, 2014 @ 3:40 PM

79. YAY, Crystal. We’re on our way!!! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 8, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

• The OB GYN said that the ovarian cysts should get better on their own with the assistance of the OPC’s.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 8, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

80. We’ll see. I don’t remember whether I had them removed pre-menopause or post-menopause…

But mine were serious. One the size of a grapefruit and one that had literally “died on the vine” or the stem, and was flopping around everywhere, including my colon.

I was a screaming banshee! :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 8, 2014 @ 5:20 PM

• ouch. thankfully mine are small, and i should not have too many problems if i keep taking the medication. i have to go back in 2 month for a follow up, i need to switch my appt for an earlier one, so that i don’t miss class. thanks for listening.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 8, 2014 @ 5:38 PM

• now i am battling off the evil flu bug. weird i got the flu shot, but still got the flu, i guess sometimes it doesn’t work.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 12, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

• Wake up to vaccines and the dirty little secret. You got injected with the virus you will get sick some even die like the teenagwer never sick in a day of his life gets the flu shot the first time in his life because of going overseas for church and is dead in a few days.

Read the warnming lables…. The top nurologist at Johns Hopkins told me to NEVER get a vaccine.

Freedom of Information Act in the UK filed by a doctor there has revealed 30 years of secret official documents showing that government experts have

1. Known the vaccines don’t work
        2. Known they cause the diseases they are supposed to prevent
        3. Known they are a hazard to children
        4. Colluded to lie to the public
        5. Worked to prevent safety studies

Those are the same vaccines that are mandated to children in the US.

Educated parents can either get their children out of harm’s way or continue living inside one of the largest most evil lies in history, that vaccines – full of heavy metals, viral diseases, mycoplasma, fecal material, DNA fragments from other species, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80 (a sterilizing agent) – are a miracle of modern medicine.

Freedom of Information Act filed in the US with the CDC by a doctor with an autistic son, seeking information on what the CDC knows about the dangers of vaccines, had by law to be responded to in 20 days. Nearly 7 years later, the doctor went to court and the CDC argued it does not have to turn over documents. A judge ordered the CDC to turn over the documents on September 30th, 2011.

On October 26, 2011, a Denver Post editorial expressed shock that the Obama administration, after promising to be especially transparent, was proposing changes to the Freedom of Information Act that would allow it to go beyond declaring some documents secret and to actually allow government agencies (such as the CDC) to declare some document “non-existent.”

Simultaneous to this on-going massive CDC cover up involving its primary “health” not recommendation but MANDATE for American children, the CDC is in deep trouble over its decades of covering up the damaging effects of fluoride and affecting the lives of all Americans, especially children and the immune compromised. Lawsuits are being prepared. Children are ingesting 3-4 times more fluoride by body weight as adults and “[t]he sheer number of potentially harmed citizens — persons with dental fluorosis, kidney patients tipped into needing dialysis, diabetics, thyroid patients, etc — numbers in the millions.”

The CDC is obviously acting against the health of the American people. But the threat to the lives of the American people posed by the CDC’s behavior does not stop there. It participated in designed pandemic laws that are on the books in every state in the US, which arrange for the government to use military to force unknown, untested vaccines, drugs, chemicals, and “medical” treatments on the entire country if it declares a pandemic emergency.

The CDC’s credibility in declaring such a pandemic emergency is non-existent, again based on Freedom of Information Act. For in 2009, after the CDC had declared the H1N1 “pandemic,” the CDC refused to respond to Freedom of Information Act filed by CBS News and the CDC also attempted to block their investigation. What the CDC was hiding was its part in one of the largest medical scandals in history, putting out wildly exaggerated data on what it claimed were H1N1 cases, and by doing so, created the false impression of a “pandemic” in the US.
        The CDC was also covering up e financial scandal to rival the bailout since the vaccines for the false pandemic cost the US billions. And worse, the CDC put pregnant women first in line for an untested vaccine with a sterilizing agent, polysorbate 80, in it. Thanks to the CDC, “the number of vaccine-related “fetal demise” reports increased by 2,440 percent in 2009 compared to previous years, which is even more shocking than the miscarriage statistic [700% increase].

The exposure of the vaccine hoax is running neck and neck with the much older hoax of a deadly 1918-19 flu. It was aspirin that killed people in 1918-19, not a pandemic flu. It was the greatest industrial catastrophe in human history with 20-50 million people dying but it was blamed on a flu. The beginning of the drug industry began with that success (and Monsanto was part of it). The flu myth was used by George Bush to threaten the world with “another pandemic flu that could kill millions” – a terror tactic to get pandemic laws on the books in every state and worldwide. Then the CDC used hoax of the pandemic hoax to create terror over H1N1 and to push deadly vaccines on the public, killing thousands of unborn children and others. (CDC will not release the data and continues to push the same vaccine.)

The hoax of the vaccine schedule is over, exposed by FOIAs in the UK.

The hoax of the CDC’s interest in children’s lives has been exposed by its refusal to respond to a doctor’s FOIAs around its knowledge of vaccine dangers.

The 1918-19 pandemic hoax has been exposed by Dr. Karen Starko’s work on aspirin’s role in killing people.

And despite refusing to respond to FOIAS, the CDC’s scandalous hoax of a 2009 flu pandemic and its part in creating it, was exposed by CBS NEWS.

And the Obama administration, in attempting to salvage the last vestige of secrecy around what is really happening with vaccines, by declaring agency documents non-existent, has made its claim of transparency, non-existent.

But pandemic laws arranging for unknown vaccines to be forced on the entire country are still in place with HHS creating a vaccine mixture that should never be used on anyone and all liability for vaccines having been removed. Meanwhile, a Canadian study has just proven that the flu vaccine containing the H1N1 vaccine which kills babies in utero, actually increases the risk of serious pandemic flu.

Americans who have been duped into submitting their children to the CDC’s deadly vaccines, have a means to respond now. People from every walk of life and every organization, must

1. take the information from the UK FOIAs exposing 30 years of vaccine lies, the refusal of the CDC to provide any information on what it knows about those lies, and the Obama Administration’s efforts to hide the CDC’s awareness of those lies, and go to their state legislatures, demand the immediate nullification of the CDC vaccine schedule and the pandemic laws.

2. inform every vet. active duty military person, law enforcement people, DHS agents and medical personnel they know, of the vaccine hoax, for their families are deeply threatened, too, but they may not be aware of it or that they have been folded into agency structures by the pharmaceutical industry (indistinguishable from the bankers and oil companies) that would make them agents of death for their country with the declaration of a “pandemic” emergency or “bio-terrorist” attack. It is completely clear now that the terrorism/bioterrorism structures are scams so that any actions taken to “protect” this country using those laws would in fact be what threatens the existence of Americans.

It was aspirin that killed millions in 1918-19. Now it is mandated and unknown, untested vaccines with banned adjuvants in them that threaten the country with millions of deaths. At the same time, the CDC is holding 500,000 mega-coffins, built to be incinerated, on its property outside Atlanta. Not to put to fine a point on this, but it’s clear now that the CDC should not be involved in any way with public health.

Thanks to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), we know that vaccines are not a miracle of modern medicine. Any medical or government authority which insists vaccines prevent diseases is either ignorant of government documents (and endless studies) revealing the exact opposite or of the CDC’s attempts to hide the truth about vaccines from the public, or means harm to the public.

Thanks to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), we know the vaccine schedule is a hoax.

The health danger to American children and adults are vaccines.

Andrew Baker, Food Freedom News

The vaccination policy and the Code of Practice of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation ( JCVI): are they at odds?

Bill Gates’ Polio Vaccine Program Caused 47,500 Cases of Paralysis Death

BBC News Removes False News Claims About Measles Epidemic “after being busted”

Bill Gates says vaccines can help reduce world population

“The world today has 6.8 billion people… that’s headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.”

watch it yourself

This is Agenda 21.

No CO2 we all die including the planet!

Comment by Lisa — January 12, 2014 @ 7:35 PM

81. Crystal, that’s what I’m here for! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 8, 2014 @ 5:57 PM

• btw, lisa, i don’t mean any disrespect, but there are different strains of the flu virus, i had type A. feeling a lot better this weekend than last week.

Comment by Crystal Cahill — January 19, 2014 @ 1:50 PM

82. Well, I was searching this kind of blog to get rid of from thyroid problems. The community you have shared for thyroid problems is commendable. Keep it up!!!

Comment by Natural Thyroid Treatment from the Huntington Beach Thyroid Institute — January 9, 2014 @ 2:25 AM

83. Thank you very much.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 9, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

84. Lisa,

I know the Melatonin works for me, but check with your doc on the Valerian.

“Do not take this combination.

Alcohol
    Alcohol can cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Valerian might also cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Taking large amounts of valerian along with alcohol might cause too much sleepiness.

Alprazolam (Xanax)
    Valerian can decrease how quickly the liver breaks down alprazolam (Xanax). Taking valerian with alprazolam (Xanax) might increase the effects and side effects of alprazolam (Xanax) such as drowsiness.

Sedative medications (Benzodiazepines)
    Valerian might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Drugs that cause sleepiness and drowsiness are called sedatives. Taking valerian along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.

Some of these sedative medications include alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), midazolam (Versed), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), and others.

Sedative medications (CNS depressants)
    Valerian might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking valerian along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness. Taking valerian along with sedative medications used in surgery might cause prolonged sedation.

Some sedative medications include pentobarbital (Nembutal), phenobarbital (Luminal), secobarbital (Seconal), thiopental (Pentothal), fentanyl (Duragesic, Sublimaze), morphine, propofol (Diprivan), and others.”

“Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) is a sedative and anticonvulsive. It interacts with several medications, herbs, and alcohol, so take it only under your doctor’s supervision. Valerian is sometimes combined with lemon balm (Melissa officinalis), another herb that has sedative effects.”

Source: Seizure disorders | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/seizure-disorders#ixzz2pv3iTIMX

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — January 9, 2014 @ 11:30 AM