Common Epilepsy Triggers | March 2, 2010

Epilepsy affects each person differently. Below is a guide to some common seizure triggers. You may not feel or notice anything in particular. Or you may have triggers which are not mentioned here. Keeping a seizure diary is the most effective way of keeping track of what triggers your seizures.

Reflex Epilepsy

Some people notice that their seizures occur in response to very specific stimuli or situations, as if the seizure is an automatic “reflex.”  In this type of seizure, it occurs consistently in relation to a specific trigger. For example, one type of reflex epilepsy is photosensitive epilepsy where seizures are triggered specifically by flashing lights. Other types of reflex epilepsies can be seizures triggered by the act of reading or by noises. These reflex epilepsies are not common. However, knowing the type of epilepsy and trigger is important information for a correct diagnosis. You can then work on eliminating these triggers whenever possible or find ways to lessen their effect on you.

Flickering or Flashing Light

If you have photosensitive epilepsy, certain types of flickering or flashing light may incite a seizure.  The trigger could be exposure to television screens due to the flicker or rolling images, computer monitors, certain video games or TV broadcasts containing rapid flashes, even alternating patterns of different colors, in addition to intense strobe lights.

And surprisingly, seizures may be triggered by natural light, such as sunlight, especially when shimmering off water, even sun flickering through trees or through the slats of Venetian blinds.

Stress

Stress can trigger hyperventilation which can provoke seizures, especially absence seizures.  It can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress.  And, as you may imagine, it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin.  You’ll probably find that you have more seizures during or after periods of anxiety or stress.

Lack of Sleep

Inadequate or fragmented sleep can set off seizures in lots of people. In one study, the lowest risk for seizures was during REM sleep (when dreams occur). The highest risk was during light non-REM stages of sleep.

Hormones

For many women, certain hormones seem to trigger seizures at particular times in their menstrual cycle. It can be during ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy or menopause.  This is known as “catamenial epilepsy.” If you’re going through menopause, you may find that the hormonal changes at this time make you more likely to have seizures, (although for some women, seizures will not be affected or become less frequent).

Food Allergies

Both food sensitivities and allergies can definitely trigger seizures.  Especially foods that are rich in glutamate and aspartame – two very excitatory amino acids.  Food allergies may also trigger seizures in children who also have migraine headaches, hyperactive behavior and abdominal pains.

Illness

High fevers in children can commonly incite a seizure.  Vomiting, diarrhea, and fever are all triggers. And vomiting may reduce the dosage level of previously ingested anti-seizure medication.  As for adults, they usually weather illness fine but it can reduce the seizure threshold, and make you more likely to have a seizure.

Prescription Drugs

Some prescription medications — especially penicillin, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs — can prevent your medication from working. It could be caused by the way your system responds to a certain a drug, a combination of drugs, reaction or withdrawal. Make sure all your doctors know everything you take.

Over-the-Counter-Drugs

Certain over-the-counter medications are considered safe for those with epilepsy. For runny and stuffed noses, consider strong pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. (Although there are reports of seizures caused by these drugs too!) For aches and pains, acetaminophen (such as Tylenol, Panadol, Excedrin Aspirin Free) is probably the safest medication. And Aspirin also appears safe — but it should not be given to children.

Alcohol

There are two questions that have to be considered when the question of alcohol use and epilepsy comes up. One is the effect that alcohol could have on the medicines used to control seizures. Alcohol can be dangerous when mixed with sedative drugs and can cause coma, or even death. The other question is whether the alcohol itself will cause seizures.

Large amounts of alcohol are thought to raise the risk of seizures and may even cause them. When you drink alcohol, it may temporarily reduce seizures for a few hours, but then increases the chances of a seizure as the alcohol leaves your body.

Cigarette Smoking

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant to the central nervous system. The nicotine in cigarettes acts on receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, which increases neuronal firing.

But if you want to STOP smoking, here’s a piece of scary information: some nicotine preparations used to help people stop smoking can have a side effect of convulsions. So, if you’re thinking of quitting, check out your smoking cessation program with your doc first.

Caffeine

Much like nicotine, caffeine stimulates the nervous system. Adrenaline is released and the liver begins to emit stored blood sugar. Insulin is then released, and blood sugar drops below normal—a common seizure trigger.  And caffeine can be a “stealth” drug, too.  It can be found as an ingredient in medications, including some antihistamines and decongestants.

Musicogenic Epilepsy

This is a form of reflexive epilepsy in which a seizure is triggered by music or specific frequencies. Sensitivity to music varies from person to person.  Some people are sensitive to a particular tone from a voice or instrument. Others are sensitive to a particular musical style or rhythm. Still others are sensitive to a range of noises.

Individual Triggers

A common trigger is too much heat, internal from extremely excessive exercise or external from an overheated house or apartment.  Other triggers include the smell of glue and the color yellow! Many people have their own specific triggers, while others don’t.  It’s a combination of possibilities: personal chemistry, biology and genetics.

Another article that may be of interest is:

Weird Epilepsy Triggers

To subscribe to Epilepsytalk.com and get the latest articles by email, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

1. Hi Phylis,

I was surprised that the color yellow can be a trigger.

Stress and photosensity are the big ones for me. I drink 2 cups of caffeine a day. That may be causing a lot of the abscence seizures that I have been having the last two days.

My diabetes is a trigger for seizures, too. If I do not keep my diabetes under control, I have more seizures. I have been working on my diabetes diet more.

Ruth

Comment by Ruth Brown — March 2, 2010 @ 6:13 AM

• Phylis, with so many people complaining that s/he was “undiagnosed” for longgggggggg periods of time, why has no one (or has someone?) begun or ended a law suit for “failure to diagnose”? There I was, in the Emergency Room, on my back, no tattoos, no needle marks (yes, they do look for those things) (no blue hair) basic old white woman (yes, they do note that) with no priors, no arrests, no drunk or drug charges, absolutely NOTHING to make anyone think “PRIOR HISTORY” with alcohol or drugs, and NO ONE hooked me up to an EEG machine? No one? Those same ER rooms look for heart attacks, brains that bleed, but not an EEG? 11 years of that and NO ONE bothered to look? Now, my life is 11 years later, and NO ONE BOTHERED TO HOOK ME UP?, PRIOR? Why buy into health insurance if the hospital ERs are not going to spend that money on ME? (generic vanilla old white woman)….(rant)

Comment by meesher — June 25, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

• Meesher, there are stories of people dying in the ER because of untreated epilepsy and I don’t even think their heirs would be successful in suing.

I know of an older gentleman who was brought into the ER by his son, who said he had been seizing.

And then he seized again.

What did the nurses do? They put him in a back room, down the hall, so he wouldn’t “disturb” anyone, because he was masking too much of a ruckus.

The son repeatedly ran up to the nursing station telling them his father was in dire need of attention.

Finally the son ran up to the desk and told them his father had stopped BREATHING. (THAT got their attention.)

They rushed back to the father with a crash cart. And you know the end of the story. He was dead.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 26, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

2. Hi Ruth,

I was real surprised about the color yellow also. Weird, eh?

Maybe you should try cooling it with the coffee for a week and see if it makes any difference.

And as for the diabetes diet, I know it’s a bear, but having seizures is worse…I think.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 2, 2010 @ 7:08 AM

3. Hi Phylis,

Epilepsy and Diabetes work against each other in the brain. My neurologist told me that when I was first diagnosed. I have found out over the 12 years that this is true.

If my epilepsy is not under control, then my diabetes gets worse. If my diabetes is not under control, then I have seizures.

It is a lose, lose situation with me having both.

Comment by Ruth Brown — March 3, 2010 @ 12:10 AM

4. So Ruth, you know the answers. Now you have to take care of yourself. You have the power, knowledge and the ability to make it a win-win. PLEASE!!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 3, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

5. You are so right, Phylis. I will make it a win-win. I always have had a positive attitude towards my illnesses.

There are diabetes seizures. I do not know which seizures are epilepsy or diabetes. It does not matter.

Did you know that yellow is my favorite color? My whole inside of my house is painted yellow.

Comment by Ruth Brown — March 3, 2010 @ 1:29 AM

6. Buy a new house???

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 3, 2010 @ 3:41 AM

7. Hi Phylis,

We cannot afford to buy a new house. We cannot afford another paint job either. Most of our money goes to pay for our medical.

One of my links to my Diabetes Seizures is:

Comment by Ruth Brown — March 3, 2010 @ 10:52 AM

8. I really like your comments.

I still have a problem of trying to convince some Epileptologist that I have a sz disorder.
    I was a Neurodiagnostic Tech. I sometimes don’t know I am having one. When I think I am having one, the doctor it wasn’t. One or 5 seconds later. I have one. I told him it was a Periventicular Nodular Heterotopia riding on the ventricular below,temporal, peridal and near the occiptal lobe. It was found via a new slicing MRI that slices very thinly.

It is new in the last few years and only certain hospitals have. It made me feel great.
    THe doctor told me I have had it since my 4-6 week in gestation and that is why I have so many different aura.

Deja-vu is another one.

I realized once in a monitoring unit that sound did it. I thought they were crazy. I found out it was true.

Lack of sleep and taking care of others, I find my seizure level is sensitive and I have a sz.

Blinking lights used to do it, especially yellow!

I always wanted to help but communicating in writing was a low level, in my skills. YOu are doing great!

I would ask patients and I learned that many patients are dealing w/ stresses. When they couldn’t deal w/ it they noted they had seizures or an exciting event it would happen!

When I got married, my friends at church prayed! I have seizures at times that makes me run!I had one 2 hours before my ceremony. It was a wonderful wedding! No embarassment!

I also get confused. My vision changes w/ spots blinking and I want to throw-up!
    I have had 2 surgeries and the docs are thinkig no more and at first it hurt and I am grateful I didn’t do it. I would lose more vision.

Comment by Toni Robison — April 13, 2010 @ 1:23 AM

• The yellow trigger was definitely a new one for Ruth and me. It’s so strange…

As for writing… Yes, I write well, I’m a PROFESSIONAL writer. I had my own freelance business for 22 years. Then I almost died from a seizure. (Heart stopped, comma, life support, etc.) It took me months of rehab to even find the keys on the keyboard! And in that time, I decided to ditch my business (much to my clients’ dismay) and become a full-time epilepsy advocate. But you shoud see my handwriting! It gets worse every day.

As for your wedding, if you had a seizure at the altar, they could have called you the “runaway bride!” ;-)

Great to hear from you. Thanks for writing…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 13, 2010 @ 1:46 AM

• Are you in England? I have traveled there. It said 1:46 am

I hope the meds are not causing the symptoms.

I do not work either. I loved research. I worked in Dementia work-ups. My memory is great when I am not over-medicated or having seizures.

I walk my dog and he is a sweetheart. He is my sanity. He never talks back!
        He makes me laugh!

I would love to do reasearch but my vision also goes blurry. My Epileptologist tells me I am working to hard. I disagree.

I volunteer a lot to get my mind off myself. I work in a library, sing,
        and teach. I help write small articles for a newspaper. It is about volunteering in the county. There is alot to do, where the finger is not pointed at you having a disability.

Take good care,

Comment by Toni Robison — April 13, 2010 @ 2:40 AM

9. Well, cheer up Tony, your post says 2:40. But that’s a little more accurate than 1:46. It’s 3:08 here in West Chester, PA. :-)

I definitely think my meds are affecting my coordination (but I was always a klutz,) plus my handwriting and memory. But they work and they certainly beat the alternative — like depression, suicide, seizures, etc.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 13, 2010 @ 3:11 AM

10. My medicines cause me depression and I have insomnia. Those are both triggers for me.

I am glad to meet you Toni!! Welcome, come more often. You are giving me a lot of help.

Ruth

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 13, 2010 @ 6:22 AM

• Keppra w/ other meds. gave me insomnia! I feel for you. My Internist told me to walk in the morning and nap for 20 min. It helped my insomnia! I started not eating so much!

I have to practise it again!

Comment by Toni Robison — April 13, 2010 @ 9:38 AM

11. Thank you Toni,

I am on Keppra and I have insomnia. I will try your suggestion.

Are you taking Vitamin B Complex with your Keppra? Keppra depletes us of Vitamin B. My neurologist told me that when he first put me on it.

What other meds are you on?

Ruth

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 13, 2010 @ 5:12 PM

• Ruth
      I am on Keppra, Vimpat, liquid Valium for flurries. I also take the following medications for diarrhea, a med for osteo porosis, I take a multivitamin,folic acid and to eat a lot of vegetables and protein! My doc suggested a B-complex along time ago.

My hair was falling out and my nails were peeling . The nurse told me to get a prescription of Folic Acid. That helped!

Comment by Toni Robison — April 13, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

12. For Folic Acid, I take Deplin 7.5 MG. My shrink said it was more bio-available and had a slight anti-depressant effect.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 13, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

13. I take folic acid in my One a day vitamins pill, OTC. My hair is falling out, I thought it was because I am 67.
    Phylis I have never heard of Deplin. That is interesting. Is it prescription

Toni, you say that you are on a medicine for your osteoporosis. I have osteoporosis and all my doctor will give me is a pain pill. What medicine are you on for it?

My other medicines I am on are Lamictal, mysoline,clonozapam and Neurontin.

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 14, 2010 @ 4:56 AM

• I take Fosamax D. My GYN stated that was the only one he would give me. I do not break bones as easily. There is a theory that these kind of medications do not make a difference on some individuals. It is a percentage, that I was told. I have only met one person. He was having a neuropathy and a muscular disorder from the medication. He just took Fosamax w/o the D.

There are specific medications like Dilantin et al. That cause osteoporosis and osteopenia. The newer medication seem to be safer.

Comment by Toni Robison — April 14, 2010 @ 8:18 AM

• Are you supposed to take Vitamin D with Fosomax?

I know 4 women who had to go off it. One resorted to this very expensive therapy where you inject yourself daily. But she already has osteopenia.

Yup. I know Dilantin is miserable. I was on it for 10 years (when I was younger) and my long, thick hair fell out, plus I got galloping gum rot! Ugh.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 14, 2010 @ 8:38 PM

14. Yup. The Deplin for folic acid is by prescription.

And whatever you do, DON’T TAKE FOSAMAX FOR OSTEO! It causes necrosis of the bones. Dentists have refused to work on women who use Fosamax because their jaws just crumble on contact. It’s really scary stuff. Just to take Fosamax is a pain (my sister-in-law used to be on it), plus it causes stomache aches and now it turns out to be toxic. How did this one get past the FDA???

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 14, 2010 @ 5:10 AM

15. Thank you Phylis for the info about Fosamax.

These medicines get past the FDA because of greed, money talks. So we suffer, with some of our meds.

I will ask my doctor about the Deplin.

Ruth

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 14, 2010 @ 5:17 AM

• That is interesting about the necrosis. I remember a nurse friend telling me about it. I will check it out.

I wonder what a patient uses instead?

Comment by Toni Robison — April 14, 2010 @ 8:21 AM

16. You got THAT right! Let me know what your doc says about the Deplin. Mine was prescribed by my shrink!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 14, 2010 @ 5:58 AM

17. I think the AED-Osteo connection might be a good article to ponder. Your thoughts Toni and Ruth?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 14, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

• Osteopenia & osteoporosis, I had osteoporosis, in my neck and arm and the number was close in my leg.

Osteoporosis is now to osteopenia. It is the combination w/ the Vit. D in the medication. That is the saving factor. My dad was on w/o Vit. D. He changed it w/ the Vit. D and he is fine. It may be a fluke. But it works for me!

Comment by Toni Robison — April 15, 2010 @ 1:10 AM

18. I have osteoporosis and diabetes. I do not know if my pain is because of my osteoporosis or my diabetes. Diabetes can cause pain when you have neuropathy.

My pain started in my lower back, then to my whole back and now my legs. It has been a gradual disintegration of my bones. It can also be neuropathy from my diabetes. I believe it is the combination of both.

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 17, 2010 @ 4:58 AM

19. My guess is that it’s primarily your diabetes with a little osteo pain thrown in. Diabetes is so stealthy and the neuropathy can travel to so many places. My cousin had neuropathy in his STOMACH from Juvenile Diabetes.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 17, 2010 @ 5:36 AM

20. Yes, it is sneaky. It probably is both. I will have to be more active. I have been the last few days. My doctor, instead of telling me what’s going on, just increases my pain pills.

I hate being on pain pills. I do not tell her anymore about my pain anymore.

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 17, 2010 @ 9:46 AM

21. I am sorry that I cannot change doctors. When we want to, Blue Shield gives us a list of doctors we can change to.

We changed once, and the doctor was crummy. We went back to the doctor that we had. She accepted us back.

The others on the list are to busy to accept new patients. They are not accepting new ones.

Some of my friends are going to cities far away to get good care. We cannot afford the gas.

Comment by Ruth Brown — April 20, 2010 @ 8:01 AM

22. Hi Phylis
    You answered me on the efa web site about stress and seizures. Does stress also work when you start missing homone replacemen? My women doctor was saying she was thinking of taking me off it so I was slowing missing it. hen this started plus the stress. This is when i had al extra problem of all the seizures. Now I am back taking it all the time. If this is the cause I should not go off it at all. Polly

Comment by Polly Polzin — May 13, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

• Hi Polly!

I just found this on the epilepsy.com website: “studies show that even short-term use of HRT, which doctors still prescribe, poses a risk to women with epilepsy”, said Cynthia Harden,M.D., Department of Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City…”

For more info, go to http://my.epilepsy.com/node/4252

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 27, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

23. Hi Polly,

Hormones are another 3 star trigger…

For many women, certain hormones seem to trigger seizures at particular times in their menstrual cycle. It can be during ovulation, menstruation, pregnancy or menopause. This is known as “catamenial epilepsy.” If you’re going through menopause, you may find that the hormonal changes at this time make you more likely to have seizures, (although for some women, seizures will not be affected or become less frequent).

Here are some links to articles that may help:

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 14, 2010 @ 2:36 AM

24. Hi
    I am a 45yo m,I started having seizures at 37
    just after my father died. They have been getting
    worse as the years go by and med’s dont seem to work. I am still going down at least twice a month.
    Anyone out there thats going through this?

Comment by M — May 14, 2010 @ 3:32 AM

25. Oh M, you must be suffering so. How long ago did you dad die? My guess is that you’re still mourning your father’s death and the stress is knocking you out.

First of all, have you considered talk therapy? I’ve been in therapy for ages and it’s done the world for me. In fact, my shrink is a psychiatrist, so he modulates most of my meds. (And he’s buds with my neurologist, which doesn’t hurt.)

I’ve suffered depression forever and here’s what turned out to be my magical med mix…

I take 400 MG of Lamictal. At its lowest level, it’s an anti-depressant, at its next level, it’s an anti-seizure med and then at its highest level, it’s for bi-polar people.

That’s supplemented by Klonopin (.05 MG in the AM and 1.00 MG in the PM) which is an anti-seizure, anti-anxiety med.

I kissed a lot of frogs before I found the magic med mix…but it works for my anxiety, depression and seizures, which are now under control.

I hope this helps…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 14, 2010 @ 7:19 AM

26. M, I agree with Phylis. I grieved for 10 years after my father died. It caused me a lot of stress and I had 1 of my status seizures during that time.

It was never suggested that I have therapy. I never thought of it. I wish my doctor would have referred me to one at the time. I really needed one and probably still do.

Comment by Ruth Brown — May 14, 2010 @ 11:07 PM

27. Right now, I am undergoing a lot of stress. I have tried to keep busy and I have not been on the internet very much.

My doctor is “screaming at me” to have a colonoscopy. The last time I had one, 5 years ago, the doctor found a hernia in my colon. I do need one because it is causing me problems.

It is causing an increase in seizures. She also keeps yelling, “Cancer.” I do mean that she does yell at me.

Any suggestions? I wish there was a doctor I could change to, but there is not.

Comment by Ruth Brown — May 14, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

28. Look Ruth, colon cancer gallops through the maternal side of my family and I must have colonoscopies. Last time, I told the anesthesiologist that I had epilepsy and I didn’t “go down” easily. He immediately called the head of anesthesia who took care of me and I was fine. I would suggest you do the same.

Hope this helps!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2010 @ 12:26 AM

29. I have it my family too. They put me down once a year. I have a special CT and if there is any question they have me w/ the regular colonoscopy but give me valium before the anesthesia and I have been much better w/ the annesthisia. My allergies are blurring my eyesight!

Comment by Tonialpha — May 15, 2010 @ 1:15 AM

30. My doctor never suggested a special CT for the colon. I think I will ask her about it.

The reason I am worried is that I have a hernia in my colon. I will take a lorazepam, sublingual before I have the colonoscpy. I will ask the doctor first.

When is the best time to have it, early in the morning. My appointment is for 10:45. I have to start fasting at 4:30 the day before. With my diabetes, that can lower my blood sugar too much. I can go into either or both Diabetes and epilepsy seizures.

Comment by Ruth Brown — May 15, 2010 @ 3:25 AM

31. THey did my whole stomach which included the colon, it was at 8:00 am. My old GI doc periodically will relax my colon and will check it in the office. My new GI did the regular test w/ colon and started to put me under I had a seizure on them. It was a minor and then I was out. When I was having other symptoms and the polyps were starting to be evident they did the CT and to be perfectly still and they had to gas the GI tract. I was trying to be still but I had a hard time, but they did it.

Comment by Tonialpha — May 15, 2010 @ 6:04 AM

32. Well im glad that yellow is not a trigger for me, yellow is my favorite color!

when I got a cold I had 6 cluster seizures, so when I get sick again I will def be watch more closely by my doctors

Comment by Judy — July 26, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

33. Not only is the illness a problem, but over-the-counter drugs and the prescription meds you take are important. Make sure you general doc and your neuro know everything you’re taking to avoid a conflict and hence, a seizure!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 26, 2010 @ 9:57 PM

34. I was thinking about triggers when I received your e-mail.

Losing one’s temper and getting mad are to big factors for seizures.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 27, 2010 @ 3:16 PM

35. Very true. And so is depression. :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 27, 2010 @ 9:57 PM

36. Depression is a big factor. I have depression a lot. I think it is from my medications.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 28, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

37. Between the Effexor, Lamictal and Klonopin, my depression is USUALLY well-controlled. But I was so bummed out Monday that I just went on a crying jag. :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 28, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

38. Phylis, I am really sorry to hear that. I hope you are better today. I care for you.

I slept all day yesterday and all night. I believe it was from stress. Trying to be something I am not. Also, I was getting involved in something that I know nothing about. I do not recommend that.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 28, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

39. How were you to know???

And you know, it wouldn’t happen to me beause I research everything from here to sundown. But it sounded like such a good offer. I would have thought it just meant moderating the website!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 28, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

40. She is now running it and I am just moderating it. Or so it seems. I can come and go when I want to. She knows how to run a website, I do not.

Less stress on me. I told her that I did not have the time it took to do the research for the problems that people have.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 29, 2010 @ 12:19 AM

41. Well, that’s one less seizure trigger! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 29, 2010 @ 2:59 AM

42. Thank you for the card. It cheered up my day. Belinda gave me the address of her other website. It is an internet site. She needs a security system for both of them. My system turned up warning colors and would not let me in. I had to start my scan right away.

Lisa wrote to me. It turns out she is the wrong Lisa. I asked her if we could be friends anyway. I put in a friend request.

Comment by Ruth Brown — July 29, 2010 @ 10:01 AM

43. Phylis, I found another one. We have 2 wildfires close by our house. Believe me, it is not good for my spilepsy. It is about 2 hours away. It is even affecting hubby.

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 1, 2010 @ 2:41 AM

• Wildfires certainly can trigger a seizure, but they’re not good for ANYONE or ANYTHING. I feel sorry for the people and the animals alike! :-(

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 1, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

44. I feel more sorry for the animals. We have fire insurance and we can leave the fire area. The animals cannot.

You asked for my thought about the AED-Osteo connecetion a while back. My feelings on the matter is it does not matter one way or another with me.

I need the AED’s and I have had osteoporosis for quite sometime now. I cannot change either one. Someone younger can make decisions before they get the Osteo and then decide what medicines would be better for them.

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 2, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

45. You have THREE good points there…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 2, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

46. My friend Terri has done a lot for animals, saving them in emergencies and knows the importance of rescuing them. The insurance for animals is great if you can afford it.

I have a dog and a cat. Walking my dog is a great way for my mentality. I noted even if I have a seizure my dog seems to stay w/ me. I drop my leash during a seizure. Having Osteoporosis is caused by many original seizure medications. I did not know it until I was in my 40’s and broke 2 bones in my leg while seeding grass. I have learned to exercise by simply walking daily for 30 minutes. The osteoporosis is now osteopenia. Exercise is the key and eating more calcium based foods helps replace what has been lost.

Exercising stops the increase of seizures too.

Comment by Tonialpha — August 3, 2010 @ 5:47 AM

47. Good for you Tonialpha!

Regular physical exercise may have a moderate seizure preventive effect in 30-40% of the patient population, while in about 10%, strenuous exercise may provoke seizures.

Clinical and experimental studies have analyzed the effect of physical exercise on epilepsy. Although there are rare cases of exercise-induced seizures, studies have shown that physical activity can decrease seizure frequency, as well as lead to improved cardiovascular and psychological health in people with epilepsy.

Exercise, especially aerobic exercise, clearly benefits people with epilepsy because it often reduces seizure frequency, relieves depression, reduces social isolation, and promotes cardiac and general health.

In one study, 14 women completed a 3-month prospective exercise program and reported a significant reduction in seizure frequency during the period in which they exercised. In another prospective study, 26 children with intractable epilepsy underwent video-EEG monitoring during exercise and more than half showed a significant improvement in their EEG activity. A survey of 74 patients with epilepsy reported that those who exercised had significantly fewer seizures.

Research has found that most people with epilepsy experience improved electroencephalograph (EEG) readings during and after exercise. The reasons for this are unknown, but theories include:

The heavy breathing associated with exercise stops the build-up of carbon dioxide in the blood…

Reduction and management of stress…

Increase of ‘feel good’ brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) may calm the brain…

Concentration may focus the brain so that seizures are less likely…

Personally, I’ve been walking 3 miles a day for 20 years. I find it energizing and calming at the same time. Sometimes, I use “heavy hands” which start at one pound each. When I was younger, I was up to 5 pounds in each hand, but age has caught up with me, I’m sad to say. ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 3, 2010 @ 6:18 AM

48. Yesterday, I started doing aerobics. I use to walk 4 milwa 3 times a week. I will have to build up to it.

I feel a lot better today. I did a lot of housework. I am going to pick and choose about which topics I answer on the Internet. I am going to do more housework and stay on my computer less.

I have to get my priorties straigtened out. I have had a lot few seizures today. That is my first priorty.

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 4, 2010 @ 5:20 AM

49. 0h Ruth, you smartie! I need to take a page from your book. I’m stressed to the max (and we all know what that means!) I’ve been real sick and haven’t been on line for a day. I think being more selective is a great idea. (If I can discipline myself!)

And the aerobics are inspiring. (But the housework doesn’t inspire me.)

Keep up the good work and stay pro-active!

Comment by Phylis — August 4, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

50. Good for you, Ruth. For both your dedication and persistence. Also knowing your own limits. I envy you and wish I could take a page out of your book as to getting my prioroities in order!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 5, 2010 @ 8:04 PM

51. Phylis, knowing my priorties is why I am taking a break from the internet for 2 weeks and getting peace and quiet.

I am sorry your computer is down but it will give you the peace and quiet that you so desparetly need. I believe that using the internet too much is a trigger for seizures.

Ruth

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 6, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

52. Vacation away from my normal activity did it for me. Ruth has an excellent idea. Phyllis kick up your feet and enjoy a museum or a good movie!

Comment by Tonialpha — August 6, 2010 @ 9:45 AM

53. Well, you both hit the nail on the head! Happily, we’re leaving for my cousin’s house on Fenwick Island (Delaware) on Sunday.

Eight days of isolation (except for Lucy, our cat!)rest and relaxation. If that doesn’t help my stress levels, I don’t know what will!

I’ll be checking my email and here (of course) but no forums, no research, no new articles.

YEEEEEEEE. HAAAAAAAAA! I can’t wait!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 6, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

54. I am suppose to be off of the internet now. I have someone who needs my help. I cannot turn people down. Any suggestions?

Comment by Ruth Brown — August 6, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

55. My friend that works in the state dept. told me delegate, delegate, don’t land everything on your shoulders. She works and has 4 children. My cat Bluebelle has been wanting attention along w/ Dasher! Have a great break, refresh your body and mind! We are going on vacation in a week again to the Outer Banks, too. Stresses are always here. We all need a break!

Comment by Tonialpha — August 6, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

• Looks like it’s time for all of us to unload our stresses! Let’s make that a pact and a promise! ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 7, 2010 @ 3:39 AM

56. alot of you take more than 2 meds. My dr. once told me you should never be on more than 2 meds if you can help it. 1 time I was on 4 and it didnt even help any better than 2
    Actually im better now than I was then. Anyone have reall bad memory problems? I do. I hate it. I guess its meds and frequencey of seiz that has something to do with it.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 3, 2010 @ 2:16 AM

57. Hi Jennifer,

I am on more than 2 medications, 5. I am on Lamictal, Neurontin, Mysoline, Keppra and Clonazepam. It is the only way to control my seizures. I land in the ER or ICU when they go out of control.

I have a rotten memory. My neuro has told me it is from both my AED’s and seizures.

It is true that you should not be on more than 2 or 3 meds.

I finally discovered that one of my triggers is poor air quality. Our air quality is very bad today and I am worn out from it. I will have to take a nap today.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 3, 2010 @ 2:45 AM

• Mold is also a bad trigger…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 3, 2010 @ 5:08 AM

• how do you figure out these unigue triggers? Thats strange. Anyone have an emotion of being hateful after a seiz? My boyfriend says I do. I do not realize im doing it. Emotions play a big part in triggering my seiz.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 3, 2010 @ 5:27 AM

58. If I may ask, how bad is everyones seiz?

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 3, 2010 @ 5:29 AM

• My seizures vary from subtle simple partial to dramatic partial complex where people notice that I do not respond and make fun of my actions. These happen weekly. I have been married almost 20 years. When I have a grand mal they contact for Emergency help, they react because of the coloring of my skin. That happens once or twice a year.
      I have been on all medications but I have never been injured severely.

My seizure triggers initially was nothing but as I really look at, Stress, being sick w/ fever, delaying intake of medication, reading to much, and certain music, building up my endurance in track once I do it I am fine.

Comment by Tonialpha — September 3, 2010 @ 5:55 AM

59. I have a tendency to call people on the phone 20-30 times every time after some seizures. Not all. My Hubby tries to stop me. I get mad at the people I call. They do not understand this at all.

For that matter, I do not understand it either.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 3, 2010 @ 5:58 AM

• You know, epilepsy.com has a wealth of information if you just click on the orange bars to the left. (Probably MORE information than anyone can digest!!!)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 3, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

60. you know what I here from all of us,

we are more than normal, we are interesting and unigue, I have to smile.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 3, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

61. Jennifer, I wrote a poem in 2009, “My Unique Friends.” It was about how different we all are.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 3, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

• what is the poem?

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 3, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

• Yes Ruth, Its beautifull. So true. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 5, 2010 @ 10:21 AM

62. MY UNIQUE FRIENDS

Everyone here is unique to me
    I could write a unique poem about each
    And everyone of you

I would dedicate it to each person
    This is my friends unique to each
    Everyone

Our poetry comes from our hearts,
    that makes each one of us unique
    I wrote a unique poem about a friend

Sadly it was not appreciated at her poetry group
    At another poetry group that same
    poem was praised…

Dedicated to each one of my unique friends

Ruth Brown
    August 1, 2009

I realize that this poem does not rhyme. This poem came from my heart.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 4, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

63. BEAUTIFUL! (Poems don’t have to rhyme.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 4, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

64. Thank you Phylis!! I hope Jennifer likes it too.

I found another trigger for seizures.

Lonlieness is different from depression. It is being isolated. A person can be isolated by not talking to people with eye-to-eye contact.

Each person in a family has there own computer, cell phone and TV. A lot of people stay in their house all day and do not go and talk to neighbors or other people. Each person in a family might just stay in there own room because of different interests.

Even during dinner, the family might be together but instead of talking to each other, they watch the news.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 5, 2010 @ 9:32 AM

• I agree Ruth. In today’s cyber world, people don’t seem to talk face-to-face that much anymore. That’s why I try to go out to lunch, every chance I get. To actually interact with another humanoid and have some real conversation.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 5, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

65. did anyone loose someone that was your friend because they were afraid after they witnessed one of your seiz? She no longer takes my phone calls or sees me. Absolutely nothing. It was a girlfriend, not a guy I was dating. It upsets me. How can someone do that.My seiz arent that scary. Its not even a tonic clonic kind. Its only simple, complex partial, and atonic where I fall.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 5, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

• Oh Jennifer, I lost oooodles of friends during my younger years because they were scared stiff that I’d have a tonic-clonic.

But I figured they weren’t “real” friends if they couldn’t accept me as I am.

Those who didn’t scoot, I tried to educate so they’d understand and not be afraid.

You know knowledge is power It’s fear and ignorance that drives people away. Just ask Ruth…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 5, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

66. My friend even knew I had seiz.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 5, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

67. That’s why she probably fled. She was afraid you’d have a seizure and she wouldn’t know what to do. (Which is a good arguement for educational First Aid.)

When I participated in a high school health fair, one kid didn’t even know what epilepsy was. The rest didn’t have a clue about what to if someone ever DID have a seizure.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 5, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

68. I can emphatize with you Jennifer. It sounds like you were real close to this girlfriend.

It does hurt to lose someone who is close to you. I always figured that if they did not want to learn about my health problems, then they were not true friends.

It does not matter how close you think they are too you. Apparently, she was not as close a friend as you thought. She is not a true friend. You have to just go forward with your life and not look back.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 6, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

• Ruth, well I have another girlfriend of mine that also witnessed 1 of my seiz, and yes it was a tonic clonic. She didnt run. Yes she told me it scared her but she didnt run. This girlfriend of mine that did run really was the only one that didnt treat me right after she saw it. Its just a shock to me to hear that she really wasnt a friend. Most people that I was close to didnt run.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 6, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

69. Jennifer, it is great when our friends stand by us!! She was scared because she did not know what to do. You can teach her and your other friends about epilepsy.

I remember a special friend when I was in High School. She knew I had epilepsy and she was not afraid to be my friend. In fact, it was unpopular to have a person with seizuress.

Leslie, not only was my friend in High School but when she went to College, as well. I went to her first RN assignment. The hospital was great. The only thing that disappointed her was that she had to do paperwork. She wanted contact with the patients.

She told me that she wanted to be a LVN. They did the work that a CNA does now. She asked my opinion. I left it up to her. Her parents, who I was friends with, as well understood.

We were friends until she got married. I was not able to go to her wedding. She came to my wedding and did not understand. I never heard from her again.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 6, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

• My friend was an LVN ( licensed vocational nurse) for one year. She went back to college for one year and became a RN ( Registered Nurse). CNA( Certified Nursing Assistant) is someone that is certified to help the nurse. They are not to give shots or medication. This is when I was in school in the 90’s.

Comment by Tonialpha — September 7, 2010 @ 6:19 AM

70. Ruth, Why weren’t you able to go to her wedding…especially since she came to yours? And why did she not speak to you again?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 6, 2010 @ 11:49 PM

71. well, about my triggers,

1. when going from hot to cold or the other way around is a trigger for me,
    2. eating way too much sugar the night before, id have seiz the next morning
    3. being very upset, (but not mad)
    4. worrying too much
    5. and anything that causes body any stress

I have years past eaten a strict diet in order to eliminate as many stresses on body, (food wise)

no… sugar, flower, wheat, (other grains ok), corn, yogurt, eggs, potatoes, or anything made with it..and it may also be what these foods contains of, (glutin?)
    , dont know, really….

this diet did help, but was hard to stick with because there are foods that I loved that made it hard not to cheat

In other words, no processed foods, dairy, and limited amounts of meat.

meals of, limited fruit amounts fruit, but allowed, vegetables, beans, and grains besides wheat and corn (includes corn syrup)

oh, yea, hyperventilation almost always trigger seiz, and certain lights can but dont usually trigger my seiz, and also just before i go into REM sleep is a time when seiz are likely to happen

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 7, 2010 @ 5:53 AM

• Jennifer, do you have a gluten sensitivity?
      Many people do — those with and without epilepsy.

Are you familar with the Modified Atkins Diet? (MAD) If not, go to http://epilepsytalk.com/2009/10/04/eating-well-is-the-best-revenge/ and see what you think…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 7, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

I dont know of that diet. Are the foods I eliminated, back then, common food allergies?

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 7, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

• yogurt? have you tried either greek yogurt , either vanilla or honey? i have milk wheat intolerance , no preservatives or dyes .. i also take , D-3 , & also probiotics too .. milks are either vanilla milk , or coconut milks .. only by Calfia , all organic , even tried the horizon milks , which is also organic , no way .. after a few hrs , horizon , has an affect on me ..

Comment by Cathy Flowers — October 13, 2014 @ 2:22 PM

72. Did the 5K this weekend and had to walk to it because no one was awake. It was only 1 1/2 miles away. When the race finished I ran into friends, I hadn’t seen in a long time. One friend who’s son has partial seizures went before us. I went with the last group of people, most of us talked and laughed as we jogged the route. They gave us water and bananas for free and we all enjoyed the free information on food, podiatrist, shoes, clothes, most of us just wanted to go home and take a cool shower! I was grateful the Epileptologist said go for it and I did! It kicked my fear of doing it out of me and I had a great time! I am ready to do it again but I will wait and find out who else is going and have a support group with me. I plan to do it at least one time a year if not more! Eating right and cutting the man made sugars are great! I have more energy on fruit and vegetable.

Comment by Tonialpha — September 7, 2010 @ 6:09 AM

• You WALKED 1 1/2 miles and THEN did the 5K? That’s more than just eating right… that’s awesome determination! Hats off to you, Tonialpha!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 7, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

73. Phylis, our car had broken down. We were poor and did not have the money to fix it. Food and rent came first.

People do not understand why you do not have a car. If your car is in the shop, you get a rental car. We had to find a cheap shop to fix our car, temporalily.

I found out that people understand seizures, but nobody understands why you do not have a car.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 7, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

74. Jennifer, the main biggies in the food groups that can be bad for people who have sensitivites to them are gluten and sugar. (And yes, processed foods, but how can you avoid them?)

The Modified Atkins Diet is basically high in proteins and low in carbs. To get a better explanation, you can go to: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/ and http://www.atkins-diet-advisor.com/modified-atkins-diet.html

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 7, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

75. Phylis,

am I going to have to get the dr’s advice and strict care doing the modified atkins diet?

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 10, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

76. Jennifer, in my diabetes support group there are so many diets. I feel, for myself, that the Glycemic Index Diet is for me. I did not ask my doctor but my blood tests are coming out normal.

I have heard that the Modified Atkins Diet is also an excellent diet.

If you are in doubt about any diet, then I would suggest asking your doctor.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 10, 2010 @ 1:06 AM

77. Ruth, out of all the diets, the easiest would be the GARD diet. Or the low gluten diet. But even that is a bit tricky. The gard is similar to what i have done years ago. I have heard of the glycemic index diet. I have a book on that. Im interested what its about.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 10, 2010 @ 1:18 AM

78. Whatever you decide to do about your diet, please clue in your neuro first.

Here’s some info on 3:

Ketogenic Diet: http://my.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/treatment_ketogenic_diet

Modified Atkins Diet: http://my.epilepsy.com/node/239

And the G.A.R.D Diet: http://www.ehow.com/way_5833210_gard-diet.html

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 10, 2010 @ 5:31 AM

79. phylis,

What do you mean by”clue in my neuro first”? You mean let my dr know first?

Yes of course I will let her know. I have an appointment with her next month, and ill study the diets and then talk to her about it and see what she says.

Comment by Jennifer Schnegg — September 10, 2010 @ 6:14 AM

80. Hi Jennifer,

I tried the GARD diet but it did not work for me. For one thing, my family did not like it. Like you said, “It is a bit tricky.” For me, it was a whole lot tricky. I had to drop it.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 10, 2010 @ 6:29 PM

81. I have been off of the websites to do research for my daughter. Then yesterday, she did not want my help anymore.

She got mad because of something I said. Some people do not like the truth. It was something about her husband that I thought she and he new.

The research is a genealology. No telling what you are going to find that you might not like that someone did in the past. This geanealology was to help my granddaughter with her school project. She is in the ninth grade. I helped my daughter, my son and my husband’s with there’s when they went to school. My husband was in college and I all ready had the information. All I had to do was a professional one. He got an A plus. I was just going to copy what I had and mail it to them. In the meantime, I found out more information that I added. Unless she finds it out on her own, my daughter will never know about it. I added it to mine.

Now, they do not want my help anymore. After I spent a lot of money to do my side of the family correctly and gave them some links from the internet. Now, they get to do both sides of the family. I am fed up with their lack of appreciation.

I am not going to put my health in jeopardy because of this. It is an expensive and time consuming project. I still have mine.

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 16, 2010 @ 3:01 AM

82. I do not know if I mentioned this trigger or not. There is a fire about 30 miles away. It has not damaged any buildings. However, it has gotten my asthma kicking up. I had to take it easy today. The smoke is kicking up over our area. That is making the air quality bad for everyone. That can cause seizures.

My husband changed doctore. I do not want to because, she is the best doctor in town and she has my history. However, my husband has caused hard feeling between him and her.

The doctor that my husband changed too, is one that does not like me and he made that clear when we changed before. What do you suggest?

Comment by Ruth Brown — September 19, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

83. If you like your doc, stick with her. If not, ask around for recommendations. I found the pharmacists were pretty savvy!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 20, 2010 @ 12:22 AM

84. Having an allergic reaction to the flu shot can cause seizures.

Comment by Ruth Brown — October 16, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

85. You bet and you’re living proof. But all kinds of nasty things can result from flu shots, so I’m staying far away.

It’s bad enough that I fell twice last week. (Absence seizures?) And I’m still sore from that.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 16, 2010 @ 1:52 AM

86. Phylis,

I am sorry to hear that you fell last week. Are you better, now? I hope you are feeling better.

Did you fall on your knees? If you did then it was an atonic seizure, a falling down seizure. If you fell to the floor, it could have been a grand mal. You can stay awake on some of those seizures. I know, I have had them.

Right now I am not thinking right. I cannot, for the life of me, think of the new word for grand mal.

Comment by Ruth Brown — October 16, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

• The first fall, I’m sure, was just losing my balance. (I was carrying a heavy case of wine.) And just my wrist got hurt.

The second one was scary. I slid from the middle of my (carpeted) office, way into the middle of the hardwood floor in the hall. I blacked out for just a moment and when I came to, I heard myself screaming bloody murder. I’m ok, but the back of my head still hurts.

Thanks for asking!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 16, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

87. Phylis, the second one would be scary. The fact that the back of your head hurts, you should tell your doctor. You might have a concussion.

I hope you feel better.

Comment by Ruth Brown — October 16, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

88. According to the news this morning, a concussion can cause more seizures. It is important that you tell your doc about this seizure.

Comment by Ruth Brown — October 17, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

89. My daughter who does not has seizures was playing soccer had a concussion! SHe was spacey! I do not take this lightly! You should not either! I give you a hug! You are important!

Comment by Tonialpha — October 17, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

90. Phylis, give us all a promise that you will call your neuro tomorrow and tell what happened.

Comment by Ruth Brown — October 18, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

91. i have seizures when my adrenaline level gets high, is there anything i can do to stop them?

Comment by Kara Johnston — April 25, 2011 @ 4:31 AM

• The bottom line is, LESS STRESS!

Adrenaline is a central nervous system neurotransmitter that is released by neurons. The release of adrenaline can be linked with seizures. And during seizures a lot of adrenaline is released.

While individuals in forums on sites such as Epilepsy.com raise questions about adrenaline as a cause of seizures, the Mayo Clinic’s site does not list adrenaline specifically as a known cause. However, health sites, like Epilepsy Action, state stress can trigger a seizure, which then can result in large amounts of adrenaline releasing into the body.

SLOW DOWN KARA!

Resource:

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — April 25, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

92. Carbatrol has been a perfect med for me: I had two seizures seven years ago, related to working late and inadequate sleep, but none since starting Carbatrol.

In two other instances, related to intense light, I became dizzy and disoriented, but stepped away from the glare, leaned against support with eyes shut, breathing deeply and recovered without dropping into seizure.

BTW, I’ve been drinking 10 cups of dark roast coffee a day for decades with no noticeable effects.

Comment by Patrick — June 6, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

• Ok Patrick, now stop bragging! ;-)

I had a friend who once sent me a card (which I still have hanging over my desk) saying: “No one has to tell you when it’s right!”

Obviously, you got it right. 10 cups of coffee and all!!!

Excellent.

Hope the rest of you who are still kissing frogs, trying to find your magic med mix, are as lucky…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 6, 2011 @ 7:42 PM

93. I have a common one nowadays. Below, where it says leave a reply, it wants me to log in. I have no memory of my password or username.

It also has Gravatar below that. Phylis, what is a Gravatar. What is WordPress doing to us now? When I finished it gave me my username and email address. I do not remember what my password is, if I have to log in.

Ruth

Comment by ruth brown — June 8, 2011 @ 6:26 AM

94. Skip the Facebook, etc. stuff on the bottom. I think you just have to give your name, write in epilepytalk.com and say yes, you want to subscribe. at the bottom of your reply. Or just go to the home page to the bottom where it says “manage your your subscriptions.” If you fill that out, I believe you’ll be an active subscriber.

Candi, is that what you did?

P.S. A Gravatar is a picture…like you have on the other sites.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 8, 2011 @ 12:29 PM

95. When I came on this morning, Phylis, it has my email address and my user name. WordPress knows who I am. I can see that will not be a problem.

How do I change my gravatar? It has down the one I have now. I pressed on it to change my picture and nothing happened. I would love to change it. How did you put your picture in. I am sure it will be the same way. I hope that I am not complainping.

Comment by ruth brown — June 8, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

96. Hi Patrick, intense light can cause photosensivity (sp?). That is why you became dizzy. You cannot take bright lights.

Sorry, that happened.

Comment by ruth brown — June 8, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

• Our house has installed “things” that cover all the windows and CAN be lifted up, but are NEVER touched. I’m in the “lights are bad” category. At night, I get through the house like a blind person–touch. Why am I walking around at night? I do not sleep well. And I actively hate yellow, brown and every green that is not teal, and that includes Irish green. A color hater? Well, I used to play outdoor “sports” like downhill skiing and sailing–but no more. Although my seizures are well controlled by the mysterious Zonisamide, I still cannot do the “sunlight on snow” or “Pacific waves on waves”. And I am a hermit crab. Better eat me for lunch, eh?

Comment by Michele McKenzie — May 15, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

• Michele, let’s call you very light sensitive (and color sensitive). Don’t think you’ll make it as a hermit crab.

Do you scuttle sideways? Besides WHO would want to eat a hermit crab??? :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

97. I will try something to see if I can change my gravatar. I will let you know if it works. Nope, I will try what you recommened, Phylis.

Comment by ruth brown — June 8, 2011 @ 1:08 PM

98. [...] http://www.2betrhealth.com/Other-Tri…-Seizures.html http://epilepsytalk.com/2010/03/02/c…epsy-triggers/ http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/die…-triggers.html [...]

Pingback by Anonymous — September 20, 2011 @ 9:45 PM

99. The color Yellow Was a surprise to me!

Comment by taylor decoux — May 19, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

100. I guess I should have put that one in the “Weird Epilepsy Triggers” article!” ;-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 20, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

101. I had a head injury in ’89. Tho I was acting strange: memory, speech, thoughts, slurred speech. Yesterday my dentist told me that Dilantin rots gums and that is why I have to have 6 teeth pulled; and of course they are in front. No one mentioned that gum disease and tooth decay were well within taking Dilantin. NO ONE MENTIONED IT. Has anyone switched from Dilantin to another med that keeps him/her seizure free? I want to SUE my neuro for having not told me. This dental work will break us! No one told us that I should have been getting Dilantin blood levels; no one mentioned that my HRT would be virtually cancelled out by Dilantin. All those years of taking estrogens to keep my skin looking good, and suddenly I Google Dilantin and there, it clearly states the two meds cancel the HRT!
    For years after hysto,I took HRT; now my skin looks crepy and old. I cannot moisturize enough to even have comfortable skin.MY NEuro could have googled THESE side effects. I want to sue him.

Comment by Michele — June 1, 2012 @ 4:43 AM

• you & me both HATED DILANTIN .. top part of teeth , was removed , because of the gum issues , now dealing with the lower ones .. had the BEST dentist ever ,that told me , use coconut oil .. it really works called ” PULLING” now , i use it on my hair ..

Comment by Cathy Flowers — October 13, 2014 @ 2:15 PM

102. Well Michelle, I lost my hair AND got galloping gum rot. I don’t know when you started the Dilantin, but back in the dark ages when I was diagnosed, it was that or phenobarbitol. And not to excuse them, but no one knew much about Dilantin. They thought it was the best thing since the toaster.

See: Dilantin – Hero or Horror?

I really feel for you, because, as you know, this damage can’t be undone. Although luckily for me, 30 years ago I was warned about about this side-effect (not by a neuro, but by my dentist). So, since then I’ve been going to a Periodontist four times a year for scaling and cleaning. (Expensive though…about $200 per visit.)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 1, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

103. My first and only grand mal seizure.As a result,I was blinded in one eye.Currently, a U.S. Navy,F-18 Super Hornet fighter pilot is in a similar situation as I was.He broke both of his shoulers,hurt his ribs,and was permanently grounded and can never pilot a plane again.He was playing “Oblivion:The Elder Scrolls IV” when he had his first seizure.
    Newspaper article about my seizure in 1994 and a few years before over 700 Japanese children went into a grand mal seizure while watching the “Pokemon” cartoon:

Comment by John Ledford — June 4, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

104. Wow. So you were blinded in one eye, broke your shoulder AND lost your fighter flight status? What are you doing now?

And the other guy…what caused him to lose control… and under what circumstances? Or was that YOU, too? (Sorry to be so dense, but this is truly horrifying.)

Not to mention those poor kids. What happened to them? And the “Pokemon” cartoon?

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 5, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

• I was blinded in one eye.The F-18 fighter pilot broke his shoulders and lost his flight status.Phylis,It’s no problem.I understand.Jessica Solodar has a very good blog called “Seizures from Video Games…and other electronic media.” Her blog is just about photosensitive epilepsy,or visual reflex seizures.In 1997, over 700 Japanese children went into grand mal seizures from watching the “Pokemon” cartoon.

Comment by John Ledford — June 5, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

105. FYI, 13 people on this website alone, clicked on your video link yesterday!!!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — June 5, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

106. Since April 2012 (that I know of), I have been having the occasional nocturnal seizure. After my first one, I was taken to the ER. They did a CT scan and discovered that I had an arachnoid cyst on the lower right posterior fossa and hydrocephalus. I visited a neurologist and he was filling m head with all the worst case senerios. (IE paralysis, partial paralysis, death, etc) But, then the first neurosurgeon I saw told me that he wasn’t going to operate amd left it at that. So, I saw a different neurosurgeon, he explained why he would choose not to operate. It appears that I’ve had this cyst my whole life and it’s in an area of the brain not commonly associated with seizures. OK, now that makes since.
    But, I still need to find the cause behind these seizures. I had an eeg and the concluded that I didn’t show signs of epilepsy. And, my neurologist was just upping my meds whenever I had another seizure. I’m on a realy high dose of Keppra and it doesn’t seem to be working effectively.
    So, I started going going 2 hrs away to my state capital to a major hospital with a whole building dedicated to neurology. THey said my case was “interesting”. My ct scans, MRI and EEG show that I shouldn’t be having seizures. But, I am. At the end of this month I go for a sleeping/ video EEG. They’ll try to enduce a seizure to see if it is in fact a seizure or convulsion or fit or whatever. And to see what part of the brain is active. ETc… But, in the mean time I’ve been trying to narrow down triggers to avoid seizures. I recently started a seizure journal to document foods, meds, anything out of the ordinary…
    But, I do drink caffeine and am diabetic. But, I’ve had that combo for years. Any tips/ ideas are appreciated.

Comment by Kevin — August 4, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

107. Ok, Kevin it’s good that you’re getting a video EEG.
    Here’s a brief article (well, not THAT brief) which will explain all of your testing options:

Beyond EEGs…Diagnostic Tools for Epilepsy

As far as the Daily Seizure Diary goes: Try to write down your sleep patterns, what you eat and when, daily activities (including emotional upsets, out of the ordinary stuff, etc.), how you feel before a seizure (triggers, auras), during a seizure, afterwards, and if you can, the duration of the seizure.

As far as upping your meds, shame on that doc. He’s LAZY! It’s not a solution, but just a band aid, as you figured out.

For future reference, here’s the link to:

2012 List of GOOD Neurologists…Epileptologists…Neurosurgeons…and Pediatric Doctors

It’s a compilation by website forum members who have had positive personal experiences with docs over the years.

Also, here’s the link to the annual US News & World Report’s 2012 Best Neurology & Neurosurgery Hospitals in the U.S

As for Keppra, you might find this article interesting:

Keppra – What People Are Saying…

I hope this is of some help…

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — August 4, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

108. I have made homemade icecream in a icecream maker using just 2 cups cream, 1 cup half/half, and 3/4 cup sugar. I ate the whole thing after it was done. Then had more than my normal number of seiz that I have daily. Is it possible this much sugar, and fat that late at night would cause it. Im not diabetic.

Comment by jennifer — August 7, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

109. I really like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

Comment by coronary heart disease — May 15, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

110. Thanks so very much for the compliment. (All positive input appreciated!)

If you’d like to subscribe to Epilepsy Talk and get the latest articles, simply go to the bottom box of the right column and click on “Sign me up!”

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

111. That is a good tip especially to those new to the
    blogosphere. Simple but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

Comment by Valentina — June 16, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

112. […] Read about the types of triggers here: http://epilepsytalk.com/2010/03/02/common-epilepsy-triggers/ […]

Pingback by Common Epilepsy Triggers | 710 DAB CLUB — July 14, 2013 @ 3:21 AM

113. Hi, Phylis!
    You have a very informative site. I just happened to stumble on it looking for seizure sites as I am one suffering from it, although mine is “in control” at this time (I’m Taking Topiramate/Topamax) .
    I noticed that one of the triggers you mentioned was NOT to take aspirin. When I was discharge from the hospital after my big attack, Baby Aspirin was one of the meds that I was asked to make sure to take and to continue to take to this day. ALL of my neurologists are not saying to stop it. By the way, I have had non-convulsive status epilepticus seizure lasting over 45 mins but the other short ones are very minor. I am able to do regular physical activities.
    Please enlighten me.
    Thanks,
    Ritz

Comment by Ritz Joaquin — October 25, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

114. Fitz,

Thanks so much!

I did some homework and (with all due credit to you) came up with a new OTC Drugs paragraph.

Thanks so very much for reading and taking the time to query me.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 25, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

115. Reblogged this on tamalisonnenberg.

Comment by Tami — December 31, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

116. I’ve been diagnosed for over 10 years w/ intractable epilepsy due to 2 seperate severe closed head injuries with the 1st occurring 01.01.1993 followed by a 2nd that occurred just over 5 years later. The drs. assumed I’d been at least brain dead if I survived my coma. Fortunately seizures are my only consequence. However after trying about a dozen different A.E.D.s Keppra has proven to be the only one to make about an 80% difference. Anyhow, Keppra Rage has nearly taken over my life. Can anyone offer QUALITY advice for controlling this rage besides some ridiculous “anger management class”? Please help! Thank you so much…

Comment by Matt Waller — March 13, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

117. What I take to “temper” (No pun intended) my AEDs, — which are NOT Keppra — is Klonopin, which is a seizure + anxiety med.

If Keppra is working so well, I’d be hesitant to offer an alternative. (Also, I’m not a doc.)

Maybe Xanax would work with the Klonopin.

I can only speak from my experience, and together, they work wonders for me.

I hope you have the same luck!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — March 13, 2014 @ 12:31 PM

118. I know that Benadryl lowers the seizure threshold. But what antihistamine (if any) can be given to a person with epilepsy? Allergy season is really bad this year, and my son is suffering greatly. All we can do is put cold compresses on his eyes or use anti-allergy eye drops and nasal sprays. But nothing works like Benadryl. Our doctor says we might use if occasionally, sparingly — but we are afraid to even try, due to past experiences. I know this season will pass, but if anybody has any suggestions, we would welcome them.

Comment by Martha — May 14, 2014 @ 6:50 PM

• Certain over-the-counter medications are considered safe for those with epilepsy.

For runny and stuffed noses, consider strong pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) or phenylephrine. (A nasal decongestant.)

Although there are reports of seizures caused by these drugs too.

And Aspirin also appears safe — but it should not be given to children.

Do check these out with your neuro first.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 14, 2014 @ 7:49 PM

• Thanks, Phyllis. What about Claritin and/or Allegra? The main problem for him is itchy eyes, driving him crazy. Benadryl would stop it, but he could seize. To make matters worse, he is transitioning now off of Keppra, and replacing it with Topamax. Too many changes!

Comment by Martha — May 14, 2014 @ 7:59 PM

119. Claritin
    Claritin (latest outcomes from 24,139 users) has active ingredients of loratadine. It is often used in allergies.

Seizures
    Seizures (abnormal excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain) (latest reports from 1,887 patients) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, epilepsy, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Allegra Side-Effects
    Seizure (Seizures) in Allegra
    Seizure – Absence (Petit mal seizure) in Allegra
    Seizure Anoxic in Allegra
    Seizure Cluster in Allegra
    Seizure Disorder (Epilepsy) in Allegra
    Seizure – Fever Induced (Febrile seizures) in Allegra
    Seizure – Generalized (Generalized tonic-clonic seizure) in Allegra
    Seizure – Grand Mal (Generalized tonic-clonic seizure) in Allegra
    Seizure Like Phenomena in Allegra
    Seizure – Petit Mal (Petit mal seizure) in Allegra
    Seizures in Allegra
    Seizure – Temporal Lobe (Temporal lobe seizure) in Allegra
    Seizure – Tonic-clonic (Generalized tonic-clonic seizure) in Allegra

I guess the answer is NO! :-)

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2014 @ 9:27 AM

• Thanks much! It looks like Claritin should be safe (if it even works).

Comment by Martha — May 15, 2014 @ 9:34 AM

120. Mmmmmmmm. I’d ask my doc first.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — May 15, 2014 @ 9:36 AM

121. Didn’t realize how complex and many triggers that epilepsy has.

Comment by Shelley Baskcomb — July 26, 2014 @ 5:20 PM

122. I have a history of seizures and from what i have noticed about them theycr oftened triggered by stress / anxiety n poor diet. However, while posting here i do have a question… i have yo go see my dentist tm(first time in about 18 yrs) i have to have some work done(fillings etc..possible extraction) but bc of my fear not only of the dentist but also of needles i need the laughing gas… has anyone had a seizure as a result of laughing gas?? Iv resd a few sites where they say its known to happen however my dentist said its very very very unlikly. Any opinions will help greatly!
    Thanks im advance

Comment by Ashley — July 31, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

123. Laughing gas inhalation sedation is highly effective in the management of mild to moderate levels of dental anxiety.

It also is an excellent technique in persons who are extreme gaggers; laughing gas usually eliminates or minimizes gagging in most patients.

Finally, laughing gas is highly recommended for apprehensive patients who have medical problems such as angina pectoris, persons who have had a heart attack, or persons with high blood pressure, asthma or EPILEPSY.

If it’s of any comfort to you, I also took years to go to the dentist (because I didn’t have the money).

I needed extensive quadrant (under the gum) cleaning. And belief me, I was terrified.

Instead of calling me a wuss, :-) my dentist gave me laughing gas for all EIGHT treatments.

And for that, I am truly grateful.

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — July 31, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

124. When speaking to my neurologist, we were trying to determine why I started having them as they appeared to start suddenly.

After reading this I realized I may have had them since childhood and not been aware of it. I was one of those that felt a jolt of energy and that brief time of confusion (like someone hit a reset button in my brain) when playing the old NES games that had the flickering lights.

I also read somewhere else that a confusing, nightmarish sense of deja vu could be seizures and I also have had those happen many times. I’m not sure if I am right about this, but when you said yellow could be a trigger I was already thinking color could be. For me it seems to be more of a bright tan-ish orange-ish color than yellow. I think this because I do sometimes have trouble looking at that color now and that a couple of times when I had the deja vu I was playing games that used a lot of that color in them.

I also was thinking maybe stress could be a factor, but for the longest time I kept getting told I only have anxiety which was causing ‘pseudoseizures’ and these new symptoms are just a part of it. However these new symptoms are completely different than the ones I experienced when I had my anxiety manifest physically. So far only my neurologist thinks the ‘electric shock to the brain’ sensation is another part of the seizures.

Comment by Alan — September 16, 2014 @ 5:55 PM

125. You’re probably having a Simple Partial Seizure. (I know, I was blown away, too!) The aura IS the seizure.

An aura is actually a small seizure itself — one that has not spread into an observable seizure that impairs consciousness and your ability to respond. You don’t lose consciousness.

In other words, something is going on in your brain. But it isn’t spreading.

Sometimes this abnormal electrical activity tapers off. At other times, it spreads and leads to severe seizures.

Auras can occur as a warning that a bigger seizure is about to happen. And sometimes they can occur just by themselves.

So the color sensitivity, deja vu, perceptional distortions actually make sense. They’re actually a combination of auras that may or may not be causing a seizure.

Trust me. You’re not going nuts.

Auras without Seizures

A Menu of Epilepsy Auras

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — September 16, 2014 @ 6:42 PM

126. FOSAMAX NO WAY , really HATED THAT ,., stomach issues , in worst way .. got off those meds fast..good thing you mention Allergy meds had a bad allergy ,bronchitis , few months ago , couldnt take benitril , so went to my drs , that morning , gave me an inhaler ,, cough syrup , then wrote a list of certain , allergy tabs , i asked her IF its ok , with my keppra, told me yes , then was looking for a pharmacist , .. they weren’t in at time .. i ended up , getting the child’s blend .. IT WORKED .. didnt affect my HBP meds , keppra , or my pain meds ..

Comment by Cathy Flowers — October 13, 2014 @ 2:08 PM

127. Fosmax is poison. It also causes necrosis of the jaw. Some dentists and periodontists won’t treat you if you tell them you’re on Fosamax!

Comment by Phylis Feiner Johnson — October 13, 2014 @ 2:59 PM